Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Sorry you're emotionally invested in an online recipe algorithm I guess... You're still welcome here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Arili posted:

You're also all really good at making a person feel welcome. A+ learned my lesson GWS just as bad as GBS.

You... you understand people are making fun of Watson and not you personally, right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That'd be like Sherlock not being offended by an offence of Watson

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Arili posted:

You're also all really good at making a person feel welcome. A+ learned my lesson GWS just as bad as GBS.

Listen, I'm the first to call out the GWS regulars when they are being dicks... and Pile Of Brown was NOT being a dick.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Arili posted:

Lurk more?

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
Anyone have a go-to beef stew recipe?

Ideally it would:
involve barley,
utilize some good dark beer I have hanging about,
go in a crock pot or dutch oven in the oven (hoping to be able to run around the house doing other stuff while it cooks)
have mushrooms?

It will preferably not:
use celery (it's a fine veg, I just think it's weird in stews)

I used to use the Cooks Illustrated one that involved browning tomato paste and not browning the meat, but their recipes are behind a paywall that requires a six-month subscription and gently caress all that noise.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Anyone have a go-to beef stew recipe?

Ideally it would:
involve barley,
utilize some good dark beer I have hanging about,
go in a crock pot or dutch oven in the oven (hoping to be able to run around the house doing other stuff while it cooks)
have mushrooms?

It will preferably not:
use celery (it's a fine veg, I just think it's weird in stews)

I used to use the Cooks Illustrated one that involved browning tomato paste and not browning the meat, but their recipes are behind a paywall that requires a six-month subscription and gently caress all that noise.

I don't know if I'd call it "go-to", as in its best-of-the-best form it takes two days to make, but here's a FAN. TASTIC. beef stew recipe. No barley, but stout. I've never done it with mushrooms but I can't imagine it wouldn't make it more delicious. I'd probably throw them in with the onions to get them all nice and carmellizedy.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/03/how-cook-perfect-beef-stew

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Micomicona posted:

I don't know if I'd call it "go-to", as in its best-of-the-best form it takes two days to make, but here's a FAN. TASTIC. beef stew recipe. No barley, but stout. I've never done it with mushrooms but I can't imagine it wouldn't make it more delicious. I'd probably throw them in with the onions to get them all nice and carmellizedy.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/03/how-cook-perfect-beef-stew

This looks awfully good! Any idea where an American gets beef shin? I just called around to my two regular butchers and neither of them offer shin, though one of them suggested that I could sub osso busco, which sounds like a pretty expensive stew...

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Shin is shank, which I've found in normal supermarkets. Same cut as is used for Ossobucso, only from cow rather than calf.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody have something interesting to do with kohlrabi? I get them from my CSA all the time and I basically just roast or mash them up as Generic Cruciferous Vegetable. Do they have a more creative application in some recipe you enjoy? And yes, we already pickle goddamn everything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I got an 8oz bottle of black truffle / olive oil as a gift.

I've never worked with truffles / truffle oil. Any can't miss kind of dish / preparation where this would be especially suitable?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Popcorn is the trendy thing at the moment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
truffle mash, truffle mayo, truffle mac n chz. Be very sparing with the stuff, if it's decent quality oil, it'll be strong. If there aren't truffle flakes in the bottle then it's probably "naturally flavored" truffle oil, which is actually a petroleum derivative.

Re: kohlrabi. Roast in wedges, toss in parm, chili flake, garlic powder and parsley.

e: muissed where you said you roast it, you can shave it thin and add to an arugula salad with blue chz and an apple/walnut dressing or something.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody have something interesting to do with kohlrabi? I get them from my CSA all the time and I basically just roast or mash them up as Generic Cruciferous Vegetable. Do they have a more creative application in some recipe you enjoy? And yes, we already pickle goddamn everything.

Roasting is good, but my favorite way is cutting them up and using them like broccoli stems in stir fry.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've never made a marinade before but I would like to try making some tonight to make pork chops with.

So far I've googled up a few recipes and it's pretty simple but I thought I would run it by goons to see if there's anything wrong or anything I could be doing different. For some bone in pork chops the plan is:

-Season with salt and pepper
-Place in bag with some rosemary and half a bay leaf
-Pour in beer. I'm planning on using this brown ale since it's cheap but I'm worried it might be too dark for a marinade. Should be fine though.
-Squeeze air out of bag
-Place in fridge for an hour
-Pan fry like usual

Edit: also I can't think of a good side. Maybe some oven roasted red potatoes?

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 6, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Kohlrabi also make a very fine, very delicate cream soup.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Kohlrabi also make a very fine, very delicate cream soup.

As the filler like potatoes in a cream base or as the cream base itself? I never thought you could get that much liquid out of kohlrabi.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've never made a marinade before but I would like to try making some tonight to make pork chops with.

So far I've googled up a few recipes and it's pretty simple but I thought I would run it by goons to see if there's anything wrong or anything I could be doing different. For some bone in pork chops the plan is:

-Season with salt and pepper
-Place in bag with some rosemary and half a bay leaf
-Pour in beer. I'm planning on using this brown ale since it's cheap but I'm worried it might be too dark for a marinade. Should be fine though.
-Squeeze air out of bag
-Place in fridge for an hour
-Pan fry like usual

Edit: also I can't think of a good side. Maybe some oven roasted red potatoes?

I have a bay tree outside. Some of the leaves are 2 inches long, others but an inch. The size of a bay leaf varies so much that Half a Bay Leaf is a ridiculous quantity to give. As it is a marinade takes roughly 24 hours to penetrate a millimeter of meat. I think they're pretty worthless and reckon your time would be better spent making a pan sauce while the meat rests.

As for sides, what do you want them to do? add crunch, soak up gravy, be sweet or herby? Parsnip would be good as it's sweet, which works with pork, and can soak stuff up. Pretty well every regular poster will recommend roasting or frying Brussel Sprouts until they're charred and crispy.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
kohlrabi is great raw when the bulbs are small/young.
I like them in a salad (julienne) or with a dip as a snack.

That Works posted:

I got an 8oz bottle of black truffle / olive oil as a gift.

I've never worked with truffles / truffle oil. Any can't miss kind of dish / preparation where this would be especially suitable?

I bought a bottle of truffle oil myself to make a homeversion of a lunch I had in a restaurant:

they used it (sparingly like was said before...do give it a taste before adding loads) in their homemade hummus,
Then they put that on a fresh baguette and topped it with grilled veggies (sweet pointed peppers, aubergine, courgette, onions).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cavenagh posted:

I have a bay tree outside. Some of the leaves are 2 inches long, others but an inch. The size of a bay leaf varies so much that Half a Bay Leaf is a ridiculous quantity to give. As it is a marinade takes roughly 24 hours to penetrate a millimeter of meat. I think they're pretty worthless and reckon your time would be better spent making a pan sauce while the meat rests.

As for sides, what do you want them to do? add crunch, soak up gravy, be sweet or herby? Parsnip would be good as it's sweet, which works with pork, and can soak stuff up. Pretty well every regular poster will recommend roasting or frying Brussel Sprouts until they're charred and crispy.

I don't usually give enough of a poo poo to be super precise but alright I'll get out my calipers and an x-acto knife for it to get 0.750"L x 0.250"W x 0.001"D worth of bay leaf. The cursory google said an hour would be fine but that's why I came here to ask. Do you have any good resources for how to make a pan sauce? For sides some roasted brussel sprouts or asparagus sounds good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't usually give enough of a poo poo to be super precise but alright I'll get out my calipers and an x-acto knife for it to get 0.750"L x 0.250"W x 0.001"D worth of bay leaf. The cursory google said an hour would be fine but that's why I came here to ask. Do you have any good resources for how to make a pan sauce? For sides some roasted brussel sprouts or asparagus sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP8ApDM3Zvg

Decent all-round instructions for a pan sauce.

To me wine or stock might be a better liquid to use in a pan sauce as opposed to beer but YMMV.

Adding in the bay and rosemary while making the pan sauce will do a lot more towards getting that flavor into the dish as opposed to just a marinade.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

That Works posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP8ApDM3Zvg

Decent all-round instructions for a pan sauce.

To me wine or stock might be a better liquid to use in a pan sauce as opposed to beer but YMMV.

Adding in the bay and rosemary while making the pan sauce will do a lot more towards getting that flavor into the dish as opposed to just a marinade.

Awesome, that's incredibly easy looking. I just like beer more than wine, so I'll still use maduro in it and see how it works.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

The cursory google said an hour would be fine but that's why I came here to ask.

To be fair, due to how little marinades actually penetrate the meat, an hour is as good as 24 hours. Either way, most of the flavor you're getting is from marinade stuck to the outside of the meat and in all the little cracks and crevices. A longer marinade will get more salt in your meat, but not appreciable flavor. A sauce, on the other hand, gives you all the flavor you want with the added bonus of covering minor overcooking should it happen.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Awesome, that's incredibly easy looking. I just like beer more than wine, so I'll still use maduro in it and see how it works.

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. I reckon that if the sauce is good and nutty it should pair well with the pork. Every beer pan sauce I remember seeing adds brown sugar. I think that's to guard against it getting too bitter as well as a splash of sweetness. I'd keep tasting for that as the sauce reduces, more so than with wine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cavenagh posted:

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. I reckon that if the sauce is good and nutty it should pair well with the pork. Every beer pan sauce I remember seeing adds brown sugar. I think that's to guard against it getting too bitter as well as a splash of sweetness. I'd keep tasting for that as the sauce reduces, more so than with wine.

Ah yep, I'd do this as well. I worry about bitterness when reducing beer but a little sugar / maybe some citrus might be just the thing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cavenagh posted:

What styles of beer do they use? I figured maltier, sweeter beers without a lot of bitterness would be better for marinades, and now reductions, for just that reason. Got it, I'll be on my guard taste testing it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got the beets. Now, what the gently caress do I do with them? I've had them on a salad before but that's about it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Borscht or labskaus.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trip report!

I made some roasted asparagus on the side by chopping up a garlic clove as fine as I could reasonably get, sprinkled that on some asparagus, drizzled some olive oil on it and added a pinch of salt and pepper. Ten minutes at 350. Those came out well, going to repeat that again as a side since it was like a whole dollar for too much asparagus. The pan sauce came out decent but I just sorta winged it. I spooned the garlic from the asparagus off the roasting pan which ended up being half a teaspoon worth which was too much. Also since this was my first time making a roux I didn't know how to add the flour right, nor do I have a whisk, so even with some panic whisking with a fork to try to get the globs of flour to dissolve I couldn't get all of them out. But otherwise it eventually got to a consistency that I thought was right and the brown ale came out just right without being too bitter. Next time I'll add the flour in slower and maybe add in brown sugar (which I don't have).

Thanks guys, just wanted to let you know how it turned out.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 6, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Trip report!

I made some roasted asparagus on the side by chopping up a garlic clove as fine as I could reasonably get, sprinkled that on some asparagus, drizzled some olive oil on it and added a pinch of salt and pepper. Ten minutes at 350. Those came out well, going to repeat that again as a side since it was like a whole dollar for too much asparagus. The pan sauce came out decent but I just sorta winged it. I spooned the garlic from the asparagus off the roasting pan which ended up being half a teaspoon worth which was too much. Also since this was my first time making a roux I didn't know how to add the flour right, nor do I have a whisk, so even with some panic whisking with a fork to try to get the globs of flour to dissolve I couldn't get all of them out. But otherwise it eventually got to a consistency that I thought was right and the brown ale came out just right without being too bitter. Next time I'll add the flour in slower and maybe add in brown sugar (which I don't have).

That's cool! Only takes one to two times to get the hang of it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

exquisite tea posted:

As the filler like potatoes in a cream base or as the cream base itself? I never thought you could get that much liquid out of kohlrabi.

Like potatoes.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

How much salt/seasoning should I put in per cup of flour for pre-battering fried fish? I know I need to season the base, I'm just unclear on how much I should put on there because whenever I do add it, it seems underseasoned and I'm not keen on oversalting/seasoning and ruining it.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Trip report!

Roast asparagus is a drat good dish. Love it with a poached egg and some bacon for breakfast.

I've faced those gobbets of flour before. I'd fish them out or strain the sauce rather than strain myself whisking more. Nowadays for a pan sauce I'll have a little Buerre Mani on standby just in case.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Roux is stable at room temp, just make a pint or so and keep it in a cupboard. Or keep corn starch around.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Roux is stable at room temp, just make a pint or so and keep it in a cupboard. Or keep corn starch around.

Wondra is a pretty cool product too, and works really well. I didn't know roux was shelf stable though, I store it in the fridge.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BraveUlysses posted:

I got the beets. Now, what the gently caress do I do with them? I've had them on a salad before but that's about it.

I usually bake them with garlic, thyme or rosemary and balsamic. Heaps of versions and recipes out there for it.
e: http://www.grouprecipes.com/9185/balsamic-roasted-beetroot-with-garlic-and-thyme.html/print is the one I use, though I skip the butter and add more whole cloves of garlic and wrap the whole lot in foil to bake.

Sometimes also serve beets with chickpeas, couscous and grilled vegetables with either a yogurt dressing (flavoured with cumin, lemon and mint or coriander) or some feta cheese.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 7, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I like to cook, but I am fantastically uncreative when thinking of poo poo to make. Is there a website that's just like, "yo motherfucker cook this tonight!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ErIog posted:

I like to cook, but I am fantastically uncreative when thinking of poo poo to make. Is there a website that's just like, "yo motherfucker cook this tonight!"

http://www.whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ErIog posted:

Presenting: What The gently caress Should I Make For Dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Funny website.
I base my decisions on what's in season, on sale, what I like/think I would like, what herb I have that hasn't died and is there lemons on my tree, what starch (pasta, rice or potato/squash). Then I google for some combo and pick up max 2 extra items from a found recipe if need be from the 24hr supermarket around the corner.