Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

If you have too much then you obviously aren't using it to coat pork shoulders and other stuff before smoking or cooking on the grill or in oven at low temps for a few hours. Makes amazing rib glaze. :drat:

This. When the WIFE and if figured out how good it was with pork, well, our jelly didn't last long. I think I might have to make some more soon, haven't had any in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Peach and apricot jams are also freakishly good with pork. Unf.

I made that chanterelle pickle. The jars vented brine and oil, but when I tested the seals, they held firm. Success, probably? I'll edit in some pictures this evening.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SpannerX posted:

This. When the WIFE and if figured out how good it was with pork, well, our jelly didn't last long. I think I might have to make some more soon, haven't had any in a while.

I look forward to the pepper jelly I get from family every year, and it lasts maybe a few weeks or a couple months because I start going crazy glazing meat with it. I like to wrap a pork shoulder or butt in foil and leave it on the top rack of my grill on indirect heat (ie turn on left side, place pork on right, etc), flipping it every couple hours until the fat and glaze reduces to a thick syrup. It turns out a lot like chinese bbq pork if you cook it well-done and then slice it thin, is awesome in ramen/pho, stir fry, fried rice, etc. :)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
That is an awesome idea. Done and done.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
'The recipe I use for candied jalapenos:

3 lbs. firm, fresh jalapeno peppers, washed
2 c. cider vinegar
6 c. white granulated sugar
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. celery seed
3 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

I triple this recipe.

Bring everything but the jalapenos to a boil. Simmer the jalapenos for 4 - 5 minutes. Transfer the peppers to the sanitized jars (since I can them). Boil the syrup solution for another 6 minutes, pour over top of peppers. Water bath at boiling or 20 minutes.
You will eat through an entire jar. I usually leave one jar out of the canning process and let it sit in the fridge over night. Than eat the jalapenos the next couple of days on cream cheese.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Has anyone made the Thai hot and sweet dipping sauce from Ball's Home Preserving book?

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/thai-dipping-sauce

Looks like it might make for decent Christmas basket filler.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Butch Cassidy posted:

Has anyone made the Thai hot and sweet dipping sauce from Ball's Home Preserving book?

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/thai-dipping-sauce

Looks like it might make for decent Christmas basket filler.

I've debated trying that one myself. It seems inoffensive at least, it's probably good for dipping spring rolls or something. But without fish sauce, I just can't bring myself to do it. I assume it's pretty dumbed down for the middle America masses, so for me personally and the people I'd be gifting it to, it'd just be meh.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Flaggy posted:

2 c. cider vinegar
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. celery seed
3 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

I triple this recipe.

Bring everything but the jalapenos to a boil. Simmer the jalapenos for 4 - 5 minutes. Transfer the peppers to the sanitized jars (since I can them). Boil the syrup solution for another 6 minutes, pour over top of peppers. Water bath at boiling or 20 minutes.
You will eat through an entire jar. I usually leave one jar out of the canning process and let it sit in the fridge over night. Than eat the jalapenos the next couple of days on cream cheese.

Sounds really drat good, thanks for this!

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Flaggy posted:

I'm assuming you cut them into slices or do you leave them whole, minus the stems?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

niss posted:

I'm assuming you cut them into slices or do you leave them whole, minus the stems?

Cut them into slices.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Sounds really drat good, thanks for this!

Your welcome, good luck keeping any jars around once people start eating them. I am working on equating the recipe using stevia as an alternative for people who don't like to use so much sugar.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Flaggy posted:

Cut them into slices.

Your welcome, good luck keeping any jars around once people start eating them. I am working on equating the recipe using stevia as an alternative for people who don't like to use so much sugar.

Yeah, thank you!

Now I gotta keep my eye out for some likely peppers. :kimchi:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

This thread inspired me to go dig out the old extension service book on canning from my cookbook collection. I picked it up at a thrift store a few years ago and never really looked at it before. Newspaper clippings and whole folded pages fell out. Here's the best ones.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Flaggy posted:

2 c. cider vinegar
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. celery seed
3 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

I triple this recipe.

I'm just trying this with a bunch of orange Thai chilis mixed with a couple of cubed yellow bell peppers. Basically because I never have a clue what to do with the chilis. They ripen suddenly in quantities that I can't even give away.

Didn't have all the spices, but hell, at least I had the garlic right. Used brown sugar too, which gives the whole mixture a murky color.

I suspect -or rather: hope- this concoction might work with a nice piece of pork. Might be too spicy just to stuff in my gob directly. Those orange Thais burn my fingers through latex gloves.

Anyway, thanks for the idea.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Bought red skin potatoes at the farmers market yesterday. Today I canned them. Nothing fancy, but these are great when you're throwing a meal together quick and you have cooked potatoes on hand. They also make the best fried potatoes. Drain well and toss in a hot oiled skillet with some onion.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Flaggy posted:

2 c. cider vinegar
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. celery seed
3 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

I triple this recipe.

How hot are these? My girlfriend is a coward and won't eat spicy (ie- delicious) things.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

How hot are these? My girlfriend is a coward and won't eat spicy (ie- delicious) things.

My wife is the same way and she loves these.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

coyo7e posted:

If you have too much then you obviously aren't using it to coat pork shoulders and other stuff before smoking or cooking on the grill or in oven at low temps for a few hours. Makes amazing rib glaze. :drat:

I hadn't.

But I am gonna.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I make a similar sauce all the time but it never occurred to me to can it.

Crazyeyes posted:

Depends on if you use real jalapenos (pretty hot) or those Texas A&M hybrids (not hot at all.)

pr0k fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 5, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I assume when you say "sliced" you mean standard jalapeno slice not like... Jalapeno spears.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

I assume when you say "sliced" you mean standard jalapeno slice not like... Jalapeno spears.

Yeah, I slice mine into circles.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I've debated trying that one myself. It seems inoffensive at least, it's probably good for dipping spring rolls or something. But without fish sauce, I just can't bring myself to do it. I assume it's pretty dumbed down for the middle America masses, so for me personally and the people I'd be gifting it to, it'd just be meh.

I think I will file it away to do up if I need some extra stuff to give out at Christmas like I always do. For my own stock, I have been toying with the idea of replacing the salt with some Squid brand and adding a bit of green onion.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Got a jar of them jalapenos in the fridge now. Hopefully didn't gently caress it up.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Crazyeyes posted:

Got a jar of them jalapenos in the fridge now. Hopefully didn't gently caress it up.

Same, I just made my first batch of it a few days ago. I had a lot of the syrup left over so I tried to make some pepper jelly out of it and ended up with a very thick syrup instead. Now it's being used to marinate some chicken w/ some soy sauce.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

mdxi posted:

This thread inspired me to go dig out the old extension service book on canning from my cookbook collection. I picked it up at a thrift store a few years ago and never really looked at it before. Newspaper clippings and whole folded pages fell out. Here's the best ones.

I love these, thanks for posting. I have not heard chow chow in twenty years.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nhilist posted:

I love these, thanks for posting. I have not heard chow chow in twenty years.

It almost seems like giardiniera.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Update on the jalapenos:

Pretty decent overall. Tasty on a cracker with some cream cheese. Still too spicy for my lady friend but I guess that just means more for me! Hope they last a long time cause I don't think I could eat them at the rate you are saying you do :negative:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Update on the jalapenos:

Pretty decent overall. Tasty on a cracker with some cream cheese. Still too spicy for my lady friend but I guess that just means more for me! Hope they last a long time cause I don't think I could eat them at the rate you are saying you do :negative:

I let mine sit for a couple of weeks before we eat them. I don't know if that mellows the flavor and let's the sugar soak in.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Flaggy posted:

I let mine sit for a couple of weeks before we eat them. I don't know if that mellows the flavor and let's the sugar soak in.

That explains it. I just assumed since you said you keep a jar in the fridge overnight to start, that they wouldn't gain a whole lot by aging. I was likely a fool to think this.

A good reason to make more and experiment (I also neglected to add turmeric, I am realizing).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

That explains it. I just assumed since you said you keep a jar in the fridge overnight to start, that they wouldn't gain a whole lot by aging. I was likely a fool to think this.

A good reason to make more and experiment (I also neglected to add turmeric, I am realizing).

I do keep one jar in the fridge which I eat the next day because I have no patience haha, my wife does not touch that jar, I should have mentioned that.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flaggy posted:

Yeah, I slice mine into circles.

You monster.

Updates: giardiniera is smelling great. Pickles with oak leaves for firmness not so much. Oak just nasty. Giving them another week or two then trashing because just not sour enough to overcome that flavor.

Attempted to make mozzarella from homogenized milk. Did not go so well.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I'm on the hunt for a hot pepper jelly that doesn't have a metric shitton of sugar in it and is savory for pulled pork and such. Recipes, people! I need recipes!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why not just use a hot pepper jelly recipe and replace the sugar with a thickener like cornstarch or xanthan gum?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've tried a couple recipes out of the Ball canning book I bought, and I'm finding that the two that I've tried wound up too sweet. I've been using an organic cane sugar instead of the white granulated sugar that was listed. Is this what might be making the recipes too sweet? I didn't want to spring for more sugar before I use what I already have, but if it's altering the recipe too much then I'll get the white sugar.

e:
I don't care too much for spicy foods, but I've been thinking about trying out this cowboy candy recipe. Do you guys think that removing the seeds and membranes beforehand would make it too mild and just make the result too sweet? I only want a little heat, but not what could be overwhelming for me because I have a babby tongue.

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 17, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I made pickled green beans! Half with dill, half without. All have chiles and horseradish in them:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Whipped up a batch of lacto-fermented cauliflower this morning. Always looks pretty in the jar. This should be ready to eat in 5 to 7 days.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It always amazes me how little applesauce a big rear end basket of apples actually produces. Got 2.5qt total out of 8-9 pounds. I might need a new food mill cause I feel like I lost a LOT of flesh to the trash can this time or something.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Minor stupid question: I'm planning on making my first 5 gallon batch of sauerkraut soon. I'd like to include caraway seeds, but some of my family members are weird and don't like them. All the recipes I've seen have you throw in the caraway seeds right at the beginning before fermentation.

If I add caraway seeds to a couple jars wort of it after fermentation but prior to canning, will that work out ok? I'm sure I'll at least have to let it sit on the shelf for a while for the flavors to meld. Or am I better off splitting the batch and fermenting some with, and some without?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

JoshGuitar posted:

Minor stupid question: I'm planning on making my first 5 gallon batch of sauerkraut soon. I'd like to include caraway seeds, but some of my family members are weird and don't like them. All the recipes I've seen have you throw in the caraway seeds right at the beginning before fermentation.

If I add caraway seeds to a couple jars wort of it after fermentation but prior to canning, will that work out ok? I'm sure I'll at least have to let it sit on the shelf for a while for the flavors to meld. Or am I better off splitting the batch and fermenting some with, and some without?

The latter, would be my guess.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Crazyeyes posted:

It always amazes me how little applesauce a big rear end basket of apples actually produces. Got 2.5qt total out of 8-9 pounds. I might need a new food mill cause I feel like I lost a LOT of flesh to the trash can this time or something.

We've got an "Apple Master" from Norpro that we use to core/peel/slice pre-applesauce apples (highly recommend). Once the apples are soft, I blitz them a bit with an immersion blender instead of using a food mill. Seems to give you maximum control over texture without losing any of the flesh. It will definitely up the volume of sauce you get, so follow the low end of the weight range to jar yield in your recipe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JoshGuitar posted:

I'd either do some with some without, or figure out some teabag style thing to keep the seeds from getting mixed in.

It's me, I'm one of those peolpe who can't stand italian sausage and any number of things because biting a caraway seed is worse for me than the anti-cilantro crowd. My folks used to do these baked tomatoes with cheese and crackers and caraway, and I couldn't even eat them unless there were some without the seeds.

It's not even the flavor, but the seeds themselves are too strong when you bite into them, which is why having them not mixed into the kraut itself may be workable. I can't stand some breads either because fuckin caraway :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I'd either do some with some without, or figure out some teabag style thing to keep the seeds from getting mixed in.

It's me, I'm one of those peolpe who can't stand italian sausage and any number of things because biting a caraway seed is worse for me than the anti-cilantro crowd. My folks used to do these baked tomatoes with cheese and crackers and caraway, and I couldn't even eat them unless there were some without the seeds.

It's not even the flavor, but the seeds themselves are too strong when you bite into them, which is why having them not mixed into the kraut itself may be workable. I can't stand some breads either because fuckin caraway :argh:

It's mainly my mom; she likes them in some things (like rye bread), but when I made borscht with caraway seeds in it she didn't like them in that. So it depends on what they're in, but there's no rhyme or reason to it. She said she doesn't think she likes them in kraut but she's not sure. Meh. I don't want to give her a few jars of something she's gonna hate, so I'll probably just do the batch without it. Then maybe I'll do a jar or 2 with them, and just ferment it in the jar. Let her try that and we'll know for next time ;).