Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Tamayachi posted:

Apparently the Fallout Wiki now redirects to a RIP wiki

Didn't the FO wiki used to be called The Vault?
E: maybe that was a different one http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Fallout_Wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Sjonnar posted:

Probably the Cafe of Broken Dreams, Monty Python bridge, crashed Star Trek shuttle, etc. All random encounters while traveling from place to place on the overworld map.

I loved getting the Monty Python bridge encounter. The bridge keepers robes were as strong as combat armor and looked badass. :c00lbutt:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

Yesterday I discovered how to activate the F3 dlc on steam. Bought the game years ago, thought it was locked behind GFW poo poo when I went to the download menu in the main menu and it just always failed to connect to the GFW store. Shrugged it off because I got F3 for a few bucks and whatever. Never clicked on Data Files until yesterday.

:ughh:

Just a heads up, FO3 doesn't work on newer OS of Windows. Like 7 and up.

The easiest way to play it is to use the Tale of Two Wastelands mod with New Vegas.

I love the lazer musket because it reminds me of those silly emergency batteries. I just hope they let you over and undercharge it. I doubt they will, but that would be such a fun mechanic to mess with while you're waiting for plasma.

I also hope energy cells are useful. Playing TTW, and it's frustrating that every good energy weapon uses microfusion cells. Not including alien weapons of course.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FO3 worked on Windows 8.1 for me but yeah you should just play TTW instead (watch out for super mutants balance in DC though)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Nasgate posted:

The easiest way to play it is to use the Tale of Two Wastelands mod with New Vegas.

I love the lazer musket because it reminds me of those silly emergency batteries. I just hope they let you over and undercharge it. I doubt they will, but that would be such a fun mechanic to mess with while you're waiting for plasma.

I also hope energy cells are useful. Playing TTW, and it's frustrating that every good energy weapon uses microfusion cells. Not including alien weapons of course.

Small energy cells might not even be in game anymore. The laser pistol we've seen uses MFC. When you can take a pistol and change it into a rifle with a few mods, it usually won't make sense to change the ammo type.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Nasgate posted:

It's been working for me on win7 fine by shutting off auto save and editing a line in the ini file (guide in the steam forums). Also it sometimes puts save files in the wrong folder but that's easily fixed. I'm 10 hours deep now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I changed that setting but left autosave on and played through all of FO3 on Win 7 just fine.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no one better be talking poo poo about the laser musket, it looks cool as hell and will definitely be my main weapon on my first playthrough

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Babe Magnet posted:

no one better be talking poo poo about the laser musket, it looks cool as hell and will definitely be my main weapon on my first playthrough

it's poop

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Rinkles posted:

it's poop
You are wrong and a bad person

Babe Magnet posted:

This post is objectively correct.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

something something theme park bethesda sucks what do they eat?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nasgate posted:

I would actually love to do that, but as far as I can tell my Fallout 3 files refuse to be taken off of Read Only status no matter how many times I try. Don't suppose you or anyone else here knows how to fix that?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

it's poop

i disagree bitch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

i disagree bitch

It was a joke.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

LornMarkus posted:

I would actually love to do that, but as far as I can tell my Fallout 3 files refuse to be taken off of Read Only status no matter how many times I try. Don't suppose you or anyone else here knows how to fix that?

install it outside of program files(x86) like for instance in c/games/fallout 3 and do this for any game you want to mod usually

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It was a joke.

jokes are illegal

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

wiffle ball bat posted:

install it outside of program files(x86) like for instance in c/games/fallout 3 and do this for any game you want to mod usually

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the tip on that.

Edit: loving god drat Steam refusing to let me put poo poo where I want. Guess I'll be putting it on another drive.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 6, 2015

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Opinion!

Love it?

Hate it?

There is no in between!

Edit: also, no jokes unless your telling jokes!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Funny how that's not true.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Nasgate posted:

The American south and its swamps would be rad as a Ghoul game. Hyper irradiated Florida with insane mutated flora and fauna that has tons of useful government and military bases in it. But only a Ghoul(or supermutant) can scavenge them.

I'd support this if Bethesda included a Fountain of Dreams tribute quest complete with a Killer Clowns faction that is joinable.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LornMarkus posted:

If you don't want to move all your poo poo, put the TTW installer in the root drive. So if your poo poo is in C:->Program Files->Steam, put the installer in C:

Though really , if you can take the time, removing steam from program files is a great thing to do.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I'd support this if Bethesda included a Fountain of Dreams tribute quest complete with a Killer Clowns faction that is joinable.

It's funny you say this because i just found the pint sized slasher mask in Point Lookout.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nasgate posted:

If you don't want to move all your poo poo, put the TTW installer in the root drive. So if your poo poo is in C:->Program Files->Steam, put the installer in C:

Though really , if you can take the time, removing steam from program files is a great thing to do.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to work no matter what I did. I installed Fallout 3 on a different root drive and the installer still just told me that it couldn't find any of the Fallout 3 files, even when I took it to the exact folder they were in.

Edit: Well holy poo poo, finally managed to make it work. At least in theory as it's just installing at the moment.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 6, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I think when I installed TTW in the past I just forced the installer to run as admin and then it's fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Seashell Salesman posted:

I think when I installed TTW in the past I just forced the installer to run as admin and then it's fine.

That's what I did and only had issues finding the train station because downtown DC all looks the same.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

*sigh* And now my problem is waiting to see whether my new account registration e-mail or my lost password e-mail arrives first, so I can download the stupid Nexus manager. Currently they're neck and neck at about . . . oh, forty minutes of delay on arrival.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LornMarkus posted:

*sigh* And now my problem is waiting to see whether my new account registration e-mail or my lost password e-mail arrives first, so I can download the stupid Nexus manager. Currently they're neck and neck at about . . . oh, forty minutes of delay on arrival.
Don't use Nexus mod manager.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're going to need to be logged in to download files larger than 20mb or something anyway though.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Don't use Nexus mod manager.

Please do be so good as to suggest what I should use instead. Possibly important note: I have literally zero interest in using any mods other than Tale of Two Wastelands. I had more than enough of mods not being as good as they sound and/or breaking the loving game that I'm only even messing with this because I've already quit out on trying to play Fallout 3 standard and modding it to be palatable.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lol PC gaming. You know, if my fourth 360 hadn't died from being appallingly poorly constructed, I'm pretty sure it would be able to run Fallout 3 just by putting the disc in. Can't wait until the game is released and this thread becomes 90% tech support questions from windows users.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Lol PC gaming. You know, if my fourth 360 hadn't died from being appallingly poorly constructed, I'm pretty sure it would be able to run Fallout 3 just by putting the disc in. Can't wait until the game is released and this thread becomes 90% tech support questions from windows users.

I don't know if this is a joke or a serious post.

Also lol if you think there were no bugs in the xbox version of Fallout 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my favorite moments in Fallout 3 on my (first) 360 was when a power station's geometry exploded and bits of it were rendered in long stretches across the wasteland, one side visible and the other not.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LornMarkus posted:

Please do be so good as to suggest what I should use instead. Possibly important note: I have literally zero interest in using any mods other than Tale of Two Wastelands. I had more than enough of mods not being as good as they sound and/or breaking the loving game that I'm only even messing with this because I've already quit out on trying to play Fallout 3 standard and modding it to be palatable.

Mod Organizer. It's on the Skyrim nexus for download. It can connect to your nexus account and download mods the same way. Except it won't break your games or force you to reinstall them like NMM. Fallout Model Manager is also good.

Really you should go to the New Vegas mod thread and install a couple essentials like Jsawyer and the implants mod. If you want a challenge at least. Also of note is that there's a link in the second post to a giant TTW mod combo with directions. It's useful if only to navigate the TTW site.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

marktheando posted:

That is indeed true and I'm actually on that side of the equation most of the time (I have Fallout 4 coming for PS4 for that very reason, and maybe I'll rue that choice at some point but I doubt it). However, the issue I'm speaking of is not Fallout 3 not running on my PC, it does that just fine. The problem is that 3 is exactly bad enough in comparison to New Vegas in enough ways that it is ultimately unplayable.

And no, that's not meant to be a profound statement nor am I trying to stir up poo poo right now. I loved Fallout 3 when it came out, played it an insane amount, loved New Vegas when it came out, played it an insane amount, then tried to go back to 3 for funsies not long ago and went "aww, now this feels uncomfortable and awful." Hence the jumping on a total conversion that lets you play Fallout 3 with all the tweaks and better item lists of NV.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LornMarkus posted:

Please do be so good as to suggest what I should use instead. Possibly important note: I have literally zero interest in using any mods other than Tale of Two Wastelands.
If at any point you want to jump into the modding pool again, Mod Organizer will be something you'll want to look at. But it looks like FOMM will be more then enough for your needs.

To give you an idea of just how bad NMM is: The Nexus guys are so incompetent, they once managed to create a bug that caused NMM to DDoS their own website. And then recreated that bug a year later.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 6, 2015

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LornMarkus posted:

FOMM and jsawyer are a must. JSawyer simply because it makes the game way more coherent and balanced with a poo poo ton more items/events/etc that the game's lead designer wanted to put in but didn't have time.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

marktheando posted:

He's being walked through modding the game in a very complicated fashion (relative to just having steam install a game and pressing button). In fact something like TTW won't even be possible in FO4 on console with its console modding support since it relies on being able to access a side by side FO3 install.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I still just can't get over "if my FOURTH console hadn't died I'd still be playing on a console because it is better than a dumb PC."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yeah, if I never switched out anything on my PC and didn't upgrade my OS the game would also work without any modifications.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lotish posted:

One of my favorite moments in Fallout 3 on my (first) 360 was when a power station's geometry exploded and bits of it were rendered in long stretches across the wasteland, one side visible and the other not.

I was one of those unfortunate people who downloaded The Pitt for Fallout 3 on the day it was released for 360, there was giant exclamation marks where ingame items would be, the bridge leading to the Pitt itself was a death zone as it wasn't properly rendered so you'd die to radiation the moment you touched specific parts of it, raiders were flying into the sky, and the moment you tried to enter the Pitt proper at the end of the bridge, the game would lockup.

Bethesda had accidentally released an unfinished version of the DLC and it was quickly removed and replaced, but not after us early people got to play this hilarious mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Judge Tesla posted:

I was one of those unfortunate people who downloaded The Pitt for Fallout 3 on the day it was released for 360, there was giant exclamation marks where ingame items would be, the bridge leading to the Pitt itself was a death zone as it wasn't properly rendered so you'd die to radiation the moment you touched specific parts of it, raiders were flying into the sky, and the moment you tried to enter the Pitt proper at the end of the bridge, the game would lockup.

Bethesda had accidentally released an unfinished version of the DLC and it was quickly removed and replaced, but not after us early people got to play this hilarious mess.

I'm kinda envious of you being able to see that

• Locked thread