Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Haha drat. Congrats TCD and all others getting well deserved promotions.

Pamchenko I remember you! Cool on making the switch, congrats to you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

TCD posted:

drat bidding just went nuts. Here I was lobbying like crazy for 4 jobs yesterday and I was just told "bid this 2 job".

They need a few new people to pad out that list so they can make it look like they actually considered others besides their favorite! ;)

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

zzonkmiles posted:

Congratulations! I actually might have seen you in the lobby of the OA Center near the guards. I saw three candidates (two males and one female) waiting in the lobby shortly before 3:00. The woman was wearing a burgandy or maroon colored business suit. Was that you? You might not have recognized me. I was standing in front of the monitor watching the CNN coverage of the Oregon shooting.

Thanks! I was definitely upstairs at 3:00, though, probably watching BBC coverage of the Oregon shooting before they took us back to deliver the news.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I was asking about USAID. There have been a couple of lawyer jobs come up on USAJobs lately and I am curious if those are real positions, or if USAID hires internally or through connections and just lists the job anyway as a show of considering outside applicants. I speak French and am interested in working in Africa or Haiti, which seem like USAID markets.

I didn't pass QEP (POL) this past round, and some of the biggest gaps in my resume were probably experience overseas and working with people from other cultures. Hoping that USAID attorney positions are more accessible than FSO (not counting on it).

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

TCD posted:

drat bidding just went nuts. Here I was lobbying like crazy for 4 jobs yesterday and I was just told "bid this 2 job".

Congratulations duder! Well deserved.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pamchenko posted:

It is Pamchenko, ye olde USAID FSO of yore here. Just passed the FSOA today, so will be coming after all of you soon, DOS-side. What a trippy-rear end day.

Congratulations!

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was asking about USAID. There have been a couple of lawyer jobs come up on USAJobs lately and I am curious if those are real positions, or if USAID hires internally or through connections and just lists the job anyway as a show of considering outside applicants. I speak French and am interested in working in Africa or Haiti, which seem like USAID markets.

I didn't pass QEP (POL) this past round, and some of the biggest gaps in my resume were probably experience overseas and working with people from other cultures. Hoping that USAID attorney positions are more accessible than FSO (not counting on it).

I looked at the listings you were interested in, and I would say that one of them read like they're reopening hiring for Resident Legal Officers (which is a straight up, USAID FS "cone"), and the other one read to me like a Foreign Service Limited position, although it didn't say that in the listing, so I might be wrong.

USAID FS is different from State in that there aren't set times throughout the year when you can take an exam and start the process. USAID opens up hiring in individual backstops (think: cones) when it needs more staff in that particular backstop. You apply through USAJobs and take it from there. I don't know if the process has changed since I came in, but when I got hired, you (a) submitted an application on USAJobs, and then they did some screening and (b) invited certain candidates to an Oral Assessment portion, which is roughly similar to the State FSOA process (although there isn't a formal points system or anything like that). So, if you applied to be a Resident Legal Officer, you'd be applying to enter USAID's Foreign Service. I can't really speak to how competitive it is, but I'm sure it's plenty competitive, like the rest of USAID FS is.

The other position (the Power Africa position) was a little more confusing. As far as I know, they can't open up FS hiring just in a particular office like that, which is why I'm guessing it's a Foreign Service Limited position (although usually they say that in the position listing, so what do I know?). I don't fully understand the FSL hiring process, but it seems to me like USAID creates FSL positions when they've listed certain positions on the FS bid list and gotten no takers. FSLs are 5 year appointments, and holders of FSL positions can convert into the FS, although I don't really know how that works, either. Sorry, I'm not much help on this one, although I am reasonably sure that it's genuinely open to the public, because as far as I know RLO positions on the bid list are really competitive so I'm sure that if they could hire internally, they would.

pamchenko fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 4, 2015

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

pamchenko posted:

I looked at the listings you were interested in, and I would say that one of them read like they're reopening hiring for Resident Legal Officers (which is a straight up, USAID FS "cone"), and the other one read to me like a Foreign Service Limited position, although it didn't say that in the listing, so I might be wrong.

USAID FS is different from State in that there aren't set times throughout the year when you can take an exam and start the process. USAID opens up hiring in individual backstops (think: cones) when it needs more staff in that particular backstop. You apply through USAJobs and take it from there. I don't know if the process has changed since I came in, but when I got hired, you (a) submitted an application on USAJobs, and then they did some screening and (b) invited certain candidates to an Oral Assessment portion, which is roughly similar to the State FSOA process (although there isn't a formal points system or anything like that). So, if you applied to be a Resident Legal Officer, you'd be applying to enter USAID's Foreign Service. I can't really speak to how competitive it is, but I'm sure it's plenty competitive, like the rest of USAID FS is.

The other position (the Power Africa position) was a little more confusing. As far as I know, they can't open up FS hiring just in a particular office like that, which is why I'm guessing it's a Foreign Service Limited position (although usually they say that in the position listing, so what do I know?). I don't fully understand the FSL hiring process, but it seems to me like USAID creates FSL positions when they've listed certain positions on the FS bid list and gotten no takers. FSLs are 5 year appointments, and holders of FSL positions can convert into the FS, although I don't really know how that works, either. Sorry, I'm not much help on this one, although I am reasonably sure that it's genuinely open to the public, because as far as I know RLO positions on the bid list are really competitive so I'm sure that if they could hire internally, they would.

Thanks, this makes sense. The Power Africa listing is a limited position, it says so in the title "Foreign Service (Limited) Attorney."

So I have to imagine the RLO position was bombarded with thousands of desperate lawyer applications.

I read through all of your posts in the thread and saw you're an escaped lawyer. What kind of practice did you have? I have mostly litigation experience, very few international. Though I have worked on corporate transactions and formation deals. I also handled FCPA work, though no actual prosecutions or full-blown investigations. No experience in finance, government contracting, or lending.

I am also considering a full blown career change, going back to get a masters in a branch of IR or foreign service. I obviously would rather not give up the income stream and an established practice, but if that type of degree is necessary or extraordinarily helpful for FS consideration, it's an option.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Thanks, this makes sense. The Power Africa listing is a limited position, it says so in the title "Foreign Service (Limited) Attorney."

Ugh, I must have been practically illiterate when I read that Power Africa description... whoops.

quote:

So I have to imagine the RLO position was bombarded with thousands of desperate lawyer applications.

I'm sure the RLO position was bombarded, but truthfully, all USAID positions are.

quote:

I read through all of your posts in the thread and saw you're an escaped lawyer. What kind of practice did you have? I have mostly litigation experience, very few international. Though I have worked on corporate transactions and formation deals. I also handled FCPA work, though no actual prosecutions or full-blown investigations. No experience in finance, government contracting, or lending.

I am also considering a full blown career change, going back to get a masters in a branch of IR or foreign service. I obviously would rather not give up the income stream and an established practice, but if that type of degree is necessary or extraordinarily helpful for FS consideration, it's an option.

I was in corporate law (mostly M&A), almost zero litigation. I'm not an RLO, but I think my legal experience did work in my favour when I got hired, because I had almost zero practical international development experience. I'd say about half of the RLOs I know came straight from other government law jobs, and the other half have very disparate backgrounds. I presume that one of the reasons RLOs spend 1-2 years in Washington after they get hired is to learn the ins and outs of the particular legal questions that USAID usually deals with, so I don't know that government experience is strictly necessary. Then again, this is all conjecture because I am definitely not involved in that hiring process.

As for going back and getting another degree, I don't know what anyone else here would say, but my reaction is that it can't hurt, but it's probably not really necessary. I definitely think that my legal experience was more helpful in getting hired at USAID than my MA in International Politics -- people with an MA in some branch of IR are a dime a dozen in DC. I'd say if you can put more of an international twist on what you do now, that would be more helpful than going back to school.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

pamchenko posted:

I'd say if you can put more of an international twist on what you do now, that would be more helpful than going back to school.

I agree. Do you have time/interest/opportunity to learn a language/do pro bono immigration work/sue a foreign government? At State, at least, more school probably won't help someone as established as you. What about some kind of international legal exchange or symposium if you need to scratch that itch in the short term?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Business of Ferrets posted:

I agree. Do you have time/interest/opportunity to learn a language/do pro bono immigration work/sue a foreign government? At State, at least, more school probably won't help someone as established as you. What about some kind of international legal exchange or symposium if you need to scratch that itch in the short term?

All good ideas and more attractive than going back to school. Thanks for the input.

Hopefully USAID will at least inform me if/when my application is rejected. Seems like every other federal agency I submit to is just a black hole...

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
Aaaannnnd FSOT #5 is in the books. I don't expect to be denied at this stage this year either. I wish I could just fast forward all the way to that stupid OA.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Congratulations, everybody who got promoted & offers!

Well deserved, all around!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
in the wake of way-too-many-god-damned-visitors, I'm now soliciting suggestions for least-visited AF post.

I'm thinking Lome?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

The Mantis posted:

in the wake of way-too-many-god-damned-visitors, I'm now soliciting suggestions for least-visited AF post.

I'm thinking Lome?

I've heard Niamey has nothing good going for it. Same with Asmara.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

zzonkmiles posted:

Niamey might actually be awesome. Met a former DCM who loved it.

No comment on Asmara because of the whole being in Addis thing :ohdear:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

The Mantis posted:

I'm thinking Lome?

I know a dude who won't shut up about how great Lome was. Makes me want to check it out.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

The Mantis posted:

I'm thinking Lome?

Half day on Fridays!

edit: Chad is your winner

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Skandiaavity posted:

Half day on Fridays!

edit: Chad is your winner

and i speak french! winner!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

The Mantis posted:

I'm thinking Lome?

Malawi.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Buj might be another option.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Mantis posted:

Niamey might actually be awesome. Met a former DCM who loved it.

It's not awesome, and they get tons of visitors for counter-Boko Haram and general refugee stuff.

Plus the hippopotamii in the Niger river have started killing tourists who come to gawk at them, so you can't even do that there anymore. (Literally, there's a management notice about it.)

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

TCD posted:

Buj might be another option.

Malawi is 100% better than Buj.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How do you schedule a language test with your OA? When I did the LNA OA it was just included as part of the process but I know I can score substantially higher now so I want to do it again.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
"who's a Hungry Hungry Hippo? You are! Yes you are!" - Not-famous last words

(seriously folks, don't mess with hippos.)

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

the_chavi posted:

It's not awesome, and they get tons of visitors for counter-Boko Haram and general refugee stuff.

Plus the hippopotamii in the Niger river have started killing tourists who come to gawk at them, so you can't even do that there anymore. (Literally, there's a management notice about it.)

yikes.

dunno which part of that im more afraid of

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?

Skandiaavity posted:

"who's a Hungry Hungry Hippo? You are! Yes you are!" - Not-famous last words

(seriously folks, don't mess with hippos.)

I agree.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

Malawi is 100% better than most of East Africa in terms of sleepiness

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

The Mantis posted:

yikes.

dunno which part of that im more afraid of

Easy way to spot an AF person is those with fear of hippos. Well and a lot of stories relating to parasites and bowel movements. ;)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
This is a reasonably weird question and I'll understand if people who work in the foreign service aren't really able to answer it, but I'm doing the FSOT in February and was wondering if any of you have met or know of people with dwarfism or some other congenital, physically-obvious-but-not-debilitating-or-mental disorder who work in the foreign service. One of the irritating realities of even the least severe form of dwarfism is that you will often be shoved to the bottom of the pile for jobs even if you meet the requirements and the dwarfism wouldn't impact the performance of the job in question at all, and I'm just trying to gauge how realistic my goals are here, in a way. I know that getting a job in it takes a whole lot more than the test, I'm more thinking if I progress past that how likely is this.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

zzonkmiles posted:

I'd be shocked if Asmara didn't have the lowest number of visitors, for purely technical reasons. (Can't have visitors if they can't get in the country).

Tendai posted:

This is a reasonably weird question and I'll understand if people who work in the foreign service aren't really able to answer it, but I'm doing the FSOT in February and was wondering if any of you have met or know of people with dwarfism or some other congenital, physically-obvious-but-not-debilitating-or-mental disorder who work in the foreign service. One of the irritating realities of even the least severe form of dwarfism is that you will often be shoved to the bottom of the pile for jobs even if you meet the requirements and the dwarfism wouldn't impact the performance of the job in question at all, and I'm just trying to gauge how realistic my goals are here, in a way. I know that getting a job in it takes a whole lot more than the test, I'm more thinking if I progress past that how likely is this.

We had this awesome IMS at post who had some sort of condition that gave him a deformity of one of his arms. He didn't have any problems.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Tendai posted:

It may impact medical clearances (I'm thinking of PSP specifically that emphasizes carrying bodying armor, walking distances, and large steps under duress). The government is pretty adamant about not discriminating against anything and our system, at least as I know how it works, doesn't really allow for "shoving applications to the bottom of the pile". Unless a disability literally limits one's ability to do the work, I think you should apply.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thank you for your answers!

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
I did the FSOT today. Freaked out a little at the essay because it took half the time just to organize my thoughts, but I don't think I did too bad. Guess I'll see in a few weeks.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
As a tall guy I often think being shorter would be helpful in lots of overseas situations. Traveling a billion hours in economy class, staying in tiny European beds, doing anything in Asia ever.

But yeah body armor stuff in PSPs. There are ups and downs to everything.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Took another shot at the FSOT today. Biographical was the weak point once again, but if the other sections make up for that then I think my essay should get a 6.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

Nah, you're cool, trust me ! State's one of those places where, pending you can pass initial medical and security clearance, they really don't care. There's all walks of life. I've never been 'put in the corner' if that is what you're asking, although differences in management opinion have clashed.. If you can do your job, they're happy to have you on board. If you do your job well, people will want you regardless. (same is true for life, really).

Now Posts, on the other hand, are on the opposite end of that spectrum. It will depend variably on folks there and on how open you are about things. It'll depend on the dynamics (Management, GSO, etc) and individual preferences of those people. That said everything is usually worked out within a few months. Ditto individual countries, perhaps their government would not want to 'deal with you' in business due to local beliefs. But that's an obstacle we would all have to overcome. Posts, imo, have been very supportive and are fully willing to make any necessary accomodations so you can do your job.

The last bit is about certain "war zone posts" - you can, by DS, be exempted (read: prohibited) from serving in these areas as an 'additional liability factor' or whatever they want to call it. This is regardless if you have a Class 1/Worldwide or not. There's legitimate security concerns behind those; but you can challenge the decision if you really really want to serve there.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, thank you for this write up. And thank everyone else again, this is something I've been mulling over. My areas of study expertise are not (current) war zones so unless they just want some random, dwarf Muslim in Iraq for ??? reasons I can't think that it'd come up. Specifically my area of study has been split between Russia (historical and modern) and North Korea (primarily post-WW2 up to the present), I'd like to work in those areas but honestly everything I'm reading sounds pretty amazing.

In terms of education, would people say coming in with a Masters is a good idea or if I just hold an undergraduate degree are there still opportunities? My next year or so is basically either doing the FSOT and trying my damnedest to get down a career path in that or getting into graduate school and going for some manner of international relations-relevant graduate work. Or both at the same time depending on things. Is it worth it for the edge to go deeper down the academic path or is it not going to be too noticeable?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

Oh cool, thank you for this write up. And thank everyone else again, this is something I've been mulling over. My areas of study expertise are not (current) war zones so unless they just want some random, dwarf Muslim in Iraq for ??? reasons I can't think that it'd come up. Specifically my area of study has been split between Russia (historical and modern) and North Korea (primarily post-WW2 up to the present), I'd like to work in those areas but honestly everything I'm reading sounds pretty amazing.

In terms of education, would people say coming in with a Masters is a good idea or if I just hold an undergraduate degree are there still opportunities? My next year or so is basically either doing the FSOT and trying my damnedest to get down a career path in that or getting into graduate school and going for some manner of international relations-relevant graduate work. Or both at the same time depending on things. Is it worth it for the edge to go deeper down the academic path or is it not going to be too noticeable?

Your biggest challenge will probably be external to the job (e.g. say if you came over to Ukraine, Moldova, or one of the strongly-soviet-bloc's, where dwarfism is not as understood and a lot of folks feel have an older perspective on it such as pity, or a comedic attachment; rather than supportive/accepting behavior. I suspect that's something you've already dealt with in your life & know how to react appropriately, though. I don't have dwarfism, but I can't begin to tell you how many "I didn't know 'you people' could be a diplomat?" I've gotten.)

Education: it will really depend. it will only get you so far. Only a bachelor's is a requirement for the job, but if you're in the ECON track or something perhaps having an extensive background in economics (MFA, MBA & so) would be more helpful for you. Personally, I would only pursue Masters/Doctorate's education if it was a pre-requisite (e.g. doctor, lawyer, chemical engineer and so on), or, after working a short time, to further expertise/knowledge in a specific industry/field. A few pages back the "IR" degree discussion was brought up and again, imo, I would step back and look at what part of "IR" you really want to go in, and see if you can secure an internship or part-time job prior to jumping in. This is to see if you like it. I know goon CronoGamer was in the IR (Consulting? Expertise?) business albeit focusing on SE Asia, perhaps he can provide some info for you on how that is like. I just bring it up because a lot of people have advanced IR degrees and are disadvantaged at the moment.

As it's been said before, view State as a "plan B" career. This is not to exclude, or discourage anyone, but it is a really long (~4 years myself) process and not many people have resources to wait for that long. It is hit or miss at all 6 steps of the process, is very slow at most steps, and if you get a 'miss' at any step, you have to wait at least 365 days from the last time you took the FSOT. There are also Peace Corps, USAID, Veteran's Affairs, etc, which have overseas postings and while quite different organizationally, will give you some of that precious overseas experience.

But if you make it, it'll be one of the greatest positive curveballs Life will throw at you. Whether you Hit, Strike, Bunt or Set A Record is all up to you. It's not for everyone, but everyone will tell you in some way that it was at least worth the experience personally or professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This was really reassuring to read because all of it kind of confirmed to an extent what I hoped for. I'm used to getting the less-than-enlightened responses; I managed to hit the minority hat trick being a white Muslim dwarf so ignorance and how to deal with it has been a large part of my life lesson as a whole :v: I'd like to think that learning patience in those situations has given me a fair grasp on how to apply that patience to work, which seems particularly important in dealing with foreign relations and cross-cultural communication.

Career-wise, looking at the State website, my interests would lie down either the political or public diplomacy paths, there are careers in both that I am interested in. I find both fascinating and in-tune with what I'd like to do as a career, and could see myself working happily and usefully in both. In a dream world I would end up on negotiating teams with North Korea a la Bill Richardson or something BUT I am most definitely not making this my end-all, be-all career choice. I'm also in the process of getting certified to teach and all kinds of other good stuff, as well as applying for the Peace Corps and other areas. I enjoy teaching so it's not like it's a miserable fall-back career, but think I would enjoy something more active on the political stage more. So if I manage to get a State job down the line that would be AWESOME but I'm not deluding myself that if I do it won't involve a whole lot of patience and effort.

Thank you for this, and again to everyone else because hearing this has been pretty motivating.