Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Srice posted:

I think the blurb in that quote could still happen

I would like to see how he stumbles onto a mobile suit he's already in and planned for a long time to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Gundam mentor characters that lived:
Jamil
Quatro
Mwu La Flagga
????

Also, hilarious quote from the wikipedia entry

The summary was a decoy.

I feel like including Mu is cheating.

That said technically Flit Asuno is a mentor character and survived!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

I would like to see how he stumbles onto a mobile suit he's already in and planned for a long time to use.

It seems pretty clear there's going to be a flashback to the third corps acquiring it at least. Because it's just kinda suspicious this rundown mercenary company has a mobile suit at all, with it being even stranger that the war orphans are the ones who seem to be in charge of fixing and maintaing it rather than the actual soldiers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

I was thinking more of the "Augus must now choose to either follow his friend, or his mission" part, stumbling into it sounds like a quirky choice of words for the translated synopsis

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Srice posted:

I was thinking more of the "Augus must now choose to either follow his friend, or his mission" part, stumbling into it sounds like a quirky choice of words for the translated synopsis

That doesn't seem like it could happen any time soon though. Right now, Mika's very clearly absolutely loyal, not to mention dependent, on Orga. Maybe later on in the series, at the very least something will have to make him be independent for actual development, but clearly not now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

Jamil
Quatro
Mwu La Flagga
????

Harry Ord might count I guess? I'm not really sure he'd count as a mentor though. He did mentor Kihel I guess, and gave some advice to Loran. He was more of a frenemy to Loran though really. Ramba Ral, at least in one universe too.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It seems pretty clear there's going to be a flashback to the third corps acquiring it at least. Because it's just kinda suspicious this rundown mercenary company has a mobile suit at all, with it being even stranger that the war orphans are the ones who seem to be in charge of fixing and maintaing it rather than the actual soldiers.

My understanding is that it's supposed to be a secret, but Orga, Mika, Biscuit and possibly others have access to the code for it through unofficial means, probably the black mechanic that they're friends with. They use it as a place to get some warmth and possibly to hide when the dickish adults are being particularly nasty, but aren't supposed to be there in any official capacity or possibly even know it exists. When Mika comes to roust Orga at the start of the episode he comments that it's supposed to be a secret after all. Biscuit and Orga just happened to have the know-how to excise it from it's new role as an impromptu generator.

I don't think the CGS guys even saw it as any great secret really, given that none of them considered it at all when abandoning the base. To them it was just a generator that happened to have some history and that they had locked so as to keep people loving with it or something. The Barbatos' use as a generator there may precede the CGS guys use of the base though, in which case, it might be locked by previous owners and not them, with the CGS guys just keeping it secret because old technology or something I guess?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

muike posted:

I actually liked the princess character too because she was trying to be helpful but didn't get poo poo on like Marina, for example, did. She just couldn't really do anything.

I liked her because she was trying to be helpful and I liked Mika's reaction to her silly notions when he's literally a cybernetically-augmented child soldier. The scene where she tries to shake hands was perfect.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They weren't, some old dude was responsible for maintaining it. Mika and Orga were told they weren't supposed to be in the room with it because it's top secret and they don't have clearance.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"I guess that means we weren't equal in the first place" was a great line.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

:agreed:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

On one hand it made the space princess sit around and mope a lot after her first meeting with our protagonist which is exactly what I don't want out of my space princesses.

On the other hand it was such a harsh yet sincerely delivered line that it totally makes sense she would end up unable to sleep about loving up that hard.

I have mixed feelings but ultimately I think it was pretty great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
She didn't do much moping, honestly. She's naive, has stupid misconceptions and can't immediately do anything to help in a combat situation (because she's rich and sheltered, and not a child soldier), but she's got good intentions, enough charisma to be seen as a leader for the Martian independence movement, and she wants to help.

It's pretty telling that the first thing she did when in the Barbatos' hangar was ask if she could make herself useful, rather than complain or cower - once she shakes off her naiveté I imagine she'll be a strong deuteragonist, and I'm pretty sure that her adopting a more realistic outlook is going to be part of her character arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She didn't do much moping, honestly. She's naive, has stupid misconceptions and can't immediately do anything to help in a combat situation (because she's rich and sheltered, and not a child soldier), but she's got good intentions, enough charisma to be seen as a leader for the Martian independence movement, and she wants to help.

It's pretty telling that the first thing she did when in the Barbatos' hangar was ask if she could make herself useful, rather than complain or cower - once she shakes off her naiveté I imagine she'll be a strong deuteragonist, and I'm pretty sure that her adopting a more realistic outlook is going to be part of her character arc.

Now here's hoping Mikazuki's girlfriend gets to be useful and have a good arc, too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Onmi posted:

I was watching with a friend of mine, she really didn't like the zoomed in snipers taking out the kids or the dumb kid getting his robot punted and probably killed.

I also didn't really like the sniper stuff but I did like the episode.

She did love the Barbatos exploding out of the ground and smashing the Ms into the ground though.

That was kind of brutal, but it's nowhere near as bad as SEED's violence levels, in comparison the sniping scene was pretty tasteful

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah I agree, it might just be that 00 and Age have made me worry too much about this crap. Everything that actually happened onscreen was pretty great and that's what matters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd normally expect we're in for a couple more episodes or her misconceptions being shot down until she wisens up while the boys simultaneously find out that her suggestions make their lives easier/she's good at negociating or something, but IBO does seem like it wants to throw out all the clichés so we'll see.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I can't foresee Orga surviving. He basically has "imma gonna die" written all over him, unless he somehow goes evil. (And even then he'll probably die.)

You don't get to be a mentor character like that and survive.
I am fully prepared for the aggravating secret recruitment process SRW will eventually employ to make Orga live past his in-universe death.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Who is the cutest boy so far and why is it Orga?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NotALizardman posted:

It's Biscuit

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress you!!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NotALizardman posted:

Cause he's tall, tan, blonde, and has like, negative 1 percent bodyfat

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tae posted:

Jamil
Quatro
Mwu La Flagga
????

Bright?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Cause he's tall, tan, blonde, and has like, negative 1 percent bodyfat

Don't forget the shark teeth~ :swoon:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
He didn't get the weird square eyes either, that helps a lot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:yeah:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The 1st half of the series, Bright was actively fighting Amuro and putting him in the brig, or trying to prove they can survive without him.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If Biscuit and Orga ever kiss in this show, let's just say I won't be waiting for erection anymore.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Akihiro (the Guts lookalike) is cute too

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Akihiro (the Guts lookalike) is cute too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Don't worry guys, the Barbatos is gonna get a big spiky backpack

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yet another Gundam design ruined by the curse of Spiky Backpacks. :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but that says hg...
*a single tear falls, hitting the 1/100 Barbatos i will eventually own*

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like it, but just because the guns on top make me imagine Mikazuki trying to turn the Barbatos in to something closer to the Mobile Workers he's used to. I doubt it'll last very long anyways, it's too awkward looking to be a full upgrade, it'll probably only be there for one or two battles.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yet another Gundam design ruined by the curse of Spiky Backpacks. :(

That's too big to be a full upgrade. It's probably some one off like GN Arms or some of the G-Self's weirder backpacks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i hope the princess studies under the no-tee guy and becomes a mechanic, and then she builds her own mobile suit out of the scraps her group keeps making

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If she does she better build it in a cave and become the show's Char.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i could go for that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just want the princess to start lifting and squatting, if she's a mechanic and pilot it will just be icing on the cake. Women should have hard bods too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I dunno if people are calling her a princess because she falls into that character type or if they think she's an actual princess, but she's just some rich politician's daughter. Gundam just really likes its villains to be aristocratic in style.

That huge-rear end backpack won't last long. Seems like more of a "mount every gun we have onto the gundam" pack.

• Locked thread