Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The point is that its automatic based on what the finder actually needs. There is almost always a surplus of dps because thats what generally happens in MMOs, people run DPSs. The rarest role is usually tank because people are intimidated by the apparent responsibility of it when its dead easy in FFXIV.

Having it suggest other roles would defeat its purpose, since people will say "Oh boy dps are in need!" and then queue thinking they'll get an instant queue and surprise surprise you sit there for 15 minutes.

The bonus itself is pretty small, specially if you already have armory bonus and rested exp. It amounts to like, a pack of mobs in an instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

megalodong posted:

I'm not looking for higher or better rewards... I want the other classes, Healers and DPS, to get the Adventurer in Need bonus as Tanks as well seeing as Tanks are almost always that for me nearly 100% of the time. I'm trying to leveling my Healer class as I got my DPS and Tank class to 60 right now (NIN and PLD) and having Tank as Adventurer in Need prevents my Healer reaping some extra bonus reward to level up faster like with Tank when you do the Roulettes.

I was asking if they could change it a bit to allow Healers and DPS to appear more often in the Adventurer in Need for Roulette. Balance it out more.

And like I said, I know why there's Tank for Adventurer in Need, but at least have DPS and Healer appear more often in Frontlines, Guildhest, and Trials more often. I have Tank on ALL of them.

Link the thread on the official forums this is from it sounds great.

112 replies lol

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 6, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The rarest role is usually tank because people are intimidated by the apparent responsibility of it when its dead easy in FFXIV.

The game sucks rear end if you have a bad dps. Just about everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But once in a blue moon you'll see DPS in Need for guildheists, it feels like spotting Santa when you're supposed to be sleeping

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

The game sucks rear end if you have a bad dps. Just about everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

people keep saying this but I've yet to see it outside of threads like these.

edit: the rear end in a top hat bit at least. good dps are indeed a godsend.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh baby It took me like an hour and twenty minutes to do white whale hard because the loving dragoon kept leaping off the arena every time. And then the monk started to fall asleep on top of it and would fall. Funny thing is, they knew how to actually hurt the thing and when they all stopped being idiots it was very fast.

It was in the same party, nobody dropped

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I was wondering, since I'm getting ready to make a big in game purchase, how common are scams in FFXIV? I never really hear about any because apparently the GMs are good about cracking down, but I still wonder.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's generally cheaper to buy/get materials to make an item that you want and getting a buddy to make it for you because markups are intense

unless it's a pet or something in which case welp

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Hivac posted:

It's generally cheaper to buy/get materials to make an item that you want and getting a buddy to make it for you because markups are intense

unless it's a pet or something in which case welp

He's buying an FC and house for himself so he can play with airships

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

oh welp

i can't help there, sorry, that's far more money than i've ever had or ever will

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I was wondering, since I'm getting ready to make a big in game purchase, how common are scams in FFXIV? I never really hear about any because apparently the GMs are good about cracking down, but I still wonder.

The people want to sell you the gold, They wont ban you outright for gil issues unless you super gently caress the market. I would bet you are safe to buy gil in a non retarded amount if your goal is to buy a house.

They don't want to lose the subs basically.

Best example, buying a gently caress ton of gil to buy everything and relist it on the market might get you caught.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Judging by PF, Cactuar has a lot of housing scams right now. There's apparently (?) no recourse for GMs to do anything at this time because they don't recognize transferring plot ownership.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

The people want to sell you the gold, They wont ban you outright for gil issues unless you super gently caress the market. I would bet you are safe to buy gil in a non retarded amount if your goal is to buy a house.

Best example, buying a gently caress ton of gil to buy everything and relist it on the market might get you caught.

He already has the gil, that's not what he's asking

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

I'm not buying gold, I'm thinking of buying a house. Basically, it's kind of a grey area on the TOS (people do it without consequence, but officially it's against it), so I'm not sure if they'd actually do anything if I did get scammed. I actually did ask the GMs about it, but their response was less than clear.

nuru posted:

Judging by PF, Cactuar has a lot of housing scams right now. There's apparently (?) no recourse for GMs to do anything at this time because they don't recognize transferring plot ownership.

Thanks for this. I really don't want to take a big risk. I'd be curious what other people have heard. It seems like a lot of folks just take it on faith that GMs will protect them.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I mean for that kinda situation it all falls on the trustworthiness of whoever is making the second half of the trade which you can't really guarantee outside of them being really obviously shifty

edit: i missed that post but yeah if it's running rampant on one server i'd have all the reason that it could be anywhere, i'd hold onto your cash for now

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

That's because the Dissidia designs are based on the Amano artwork. See also: Blond Terra.

The Puff of Darkness minion looks like that

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm still holding out for an announcement that 3.1 will add more housing somewhere, even if it's not Ishgard.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

nuru posted:

I'm still holding out for an announcement that 3.1 will add more housing somewhere, even if it's not Ishgard.

They've kinda said no more housing for the time being, but they will make it so unused housing becomes free. I don't know if the decay timer will start at 3.1, though, which means more houses might not start trickling in for a few more months

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a FC airship and what does it do?

What's the chocoholic stables for outside a FC house? The help menu says other people can feed them and raise their levels… if I wanna do that I just stash my bird into one and hope someone feeds it?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a FC airship and what does it do?
Right now, they work identically to retainer ventures. You pay them some currency, they go off for a few hours and return with items.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the chocoholic stables for outside a FC house? The help menu says other people can feed them and raise their levels… if I wanna do that I just stash my bird into one and hope someone feeds it?
Yes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Chairman posted:

Right now, they work identically to retainer ventures. You pay them some currency, they go off for a few hours and return with items.

Yes.

If you want your bird fed regularly, come to TPT. The only caveat is you need to help feed when you get a chance. There's at least one bird ranking up every day. We have a ton above rank 10 now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

nuru posted:

I know that the only people who could afford houses in the first place would be the same people that got the expansion on day 1, but imagine the outcry if they finally added new housing but locked it all behind HW

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The way I understood it, they're going to implement a way to 'move' (where you can surrender a plot as payment for a different empty plot) first before introducing a 4th housing area. Though more wards may be added to the current areas in the mean time depending on how long it takes to finish that.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Despite not having a single adventuring class to 30, I have two crafting classes that are almost 25 (Armoror should hit it tonight.) I saw that at 25 I qualify for the quest "Melding Materia Muchly" and I was wondering if anyone has actually done it. Am I to bring 8 different items to add materia to? Am I to try forcing 8 materia on one item? I've pissed away enough money on craft leves and supply requests that you'd think I wouldn't mind pissing away a little more getting this wrong, but really, Materia melding is so darn expensive at my level as it is that I'd rather unlock this quest and be done with it, properly.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

8 total materia on any combination of items, and you can't overmeld at this point so you're limited to the number of circles you see. Look for the robes with 4 slots and grab cheap materia like fire 1 or whatever for about 120g/ea

Robes are assuming you can do cloth, items have to be makeable by the class you're doing the quest as

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Sentient Data posted:

8 total materia on any combination of items, and you can't overmeld at this point so you're limited to the number of circles you see. Look for the robes with 4 slots and grab cheap materia like fire 1 or whatever for about 120g/ea

Robes are assuming you can do cloth, items have to be makeable by the class you're doing the quest as

So if I grab 2 of those level 25 armors that you can't wear a hat with (or worse, 1 armor you can't wear a hat with and 1 armor you can't wear shoes with) and a bunch of throw-away Materia, I should be fine then? Good to know.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yep, you got it. Make sure you get the carbonized matter you'll need to meld whatever you end up using.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

I'm going to have to agree with you here. I really don't get the Alexander hate. Maybe what people miss is also the expanse? The arenas in BCoB implied that you were just in this like, gigantic thing, and while Alexander is hueg, we're twisting up ducts and corridors in the arm. From there we're probably progressing to the chest and head which should be a bit more impressive in that regard maybe.

I also think the "casual" version and the accompanying obnoxious loot system poisons people to it, too.

I think the reason you have Alex hate is because it's either one extreme or the other. Alex normal is loving easy. And Alex savage (past a2) is loving super hard. There is no in between like you have in wow. Coil was the middle of the two extremes excpet for maybe turn 9 and 13?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

nuru posted:

How does the scam work?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Probably people pretending to sell their plot but not giving it up after taking the money.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Should I be using my poetics tomestones to buy the armor, weapon, or accessories? I'm level 50, I have my set of ilvl ilvl 90 blue class armor and someone crafted me a ilvl 115 weapon. I have some accessories that are ilvl 70 from the first post 2.0 MSQs but the rest are like ilvl 40-50. I'm inclined to buy the accessories since it seems like they are way less common? I've read there's a vendor that sells ilvl 115 gear for gold too in Ishgard that I can get someone else to buy for me. There's no real wowhead like site for ffxiv though so I'm having a hard time finding out info about the armor or the vendor. But anyway how much would a full set of that armor cost and does it also include the accessories?

What's the point of alts if you can be every single class on the same character? I'm paying the $2 less for only having 1 character on a server and I don't see the point of paying more.

How do beast dailies work? I just ranked up to the second rep level for one tribe and unlocked an additional 3 quests that gave 7 rep each vs 5 from before last night. So when reset happens and I go to the beast tribe will I be able to accept 6 quests now or only 3? Cause I noticed one of the 7 rep quests I got after ranking up was the same as one I've done before (the kill ravagers one for the Amal'ja). If I get 6 quests now do they all give 7 rep for 42 rep a day? Getting 150 rep at only 15/day took freaking forever.

I've been stashing literally every single crafting mat I've gotten since I started playing this game. I really hope they all have purpose if i decide to level up a crafter.

Why are raid groups called statics? For a while I didn't understand what a static was but it seems like it's just a raid group. The other mmos I've played just called them groups or some version of that so I'm just wondering how did static get entered into ffxiv speak.

Retainers. Since I don't craft right now I don't see a benefit in running ventures and leveling mine up since the rewards just get banked. I also don't see a point in not sending out ventures since it takes 2 seconds and I get coins from dailies that I can use for anything else. Are venture rewards worth something later on? I read somewhere in passing that the better geared your follower is the better rewards you get but I dunno, I guess this only affects the exploration ventures and not the hunts? I've only been doing hunts so far and they seem to give a fixed amount of experience and rewards. Does the game just check for ilvl when determining what's "better" or does it factor in other things like stats or defense or rarity etc? My first (and only) retainer so far is the same class as me so I can pass down gear. Is it better to do the same for my second retainer or to do like a crafting class?

Sorry words.

edit: how do I spec my chocobo

edit 3: how long does it take to finish a relic quest? I know the weapons are outdated now but from what I understand I can use them for glamour.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 6, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I be using my poetics tomestones to buy the armor, weapon, or accessories? I'm level 50, I have my set of ilvl ilvl 90 blue class armor and someone crafted me a ilvl 115 weapon. I have some accessories that are ilvl 70 from the first post 2.0 MSQs but the rest are like ilvl 40-50.

I'm inclined to buy the accessories since it seems like they are way less common?
Buy whatever you like. The MSQ and heavensward side quests will drop better gear anyways.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I be using my poetics tomestones to buy the armor, weapon, or accessories? I'm level 50, I have my set of ilvl ilvl 90 blue class armor and someone crafted me a ilvl 115 weapon. I have some accessories that are ilvl 70 from the first post 2.0 MSQs but the rest are like ilvl 40-50.

I'm inclined to buy the accessories since it seems like they are way less common?

If you've got a friend who can buy you the Ishgard vendor whites you'll be alright. Or if there's HQ stuff on the market board up for cheap. Basically, if you can get some second-hand HQ 115s you can just use poetics gear to fill in the gaps. Which, yeah, are probably going to be accessories since HQ leftside armor is pretty common as rewards from the Heavensward MSQ while HQ accessories on the MB are few and far between. But it's better to have ironworks leftside gear and NQ 115 accessories than NQ 115 armor and IW accessories.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Buy whatever you like. The MSQ and heavensward side quests will drop better gear anyways.

This too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Tenik posted:

Yep, you got it. Make sure you get the carbonized matter you'll need to meld whatever you end up using.

Oh, and one last note for you or anyone else doing melding - the carbonized matter you need must match the grade of the materia or higher. Grade 3 is almost always about a quarter of the price of grade 1 (occasionally even cheaper than that), so be sure to check the prices for all the options before you buy

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I be using my poetics tomestones to buy the armor, weapon, or accessories? I'm level 50, I have my set of ilvl ilvl 90 blue class armor and someone crafted me a ilvl 115 weapon. I have some accessories that are ilvl 70 from the first post 2.0 MSQs but the rest are like ilvl 40-50. I'm inclined to buy the accessories since it seems like they are way less common? I've read there's a vendor that sells ilvl 115 gear for gold too in Ishgard that I can get someone else to buy for me. There's no real wowhead like site for ffxiv though so I'm having a hard time finding out info about the armor or the vendor. But anyway how much would a full set of that armor cost and does it also include the accessories?

How do beast dailies work? I just ranked up to the second rep level for one tribe and unlocked an additional 3 quests that gave 7 rep each vs 5 from before last night. So when reset happens and I go to the beast tribe will I be able to accept 6 quests now or only 3? Cause I noticed one of the 7 rep quests I got after ranking up was the same as one I've done before (the kill ravagers one for the Amal'ja). If I get 6 quests now do they all give 7 rep for 42 rep a day? Getting 150 rep at only 15/day took freaking forever.

edit 3: how long does it take to finish a relic quest? I know the weapons are outdated now but from what I understand I can use them for glamour.

Trip report on gear from a guy a few weeks ahead of you: Get someone in the FC to run to Ishgard and buy you whatever accessories and extra stuff you need. To clarify, Ishgard has equipment for all slots at ilev 115, so upgrade anything under that. Ironworks is ilev 120, so in general it's better, but of course you have access to less of it limited by Poetics and it's not worth grinding Poetics, since you'll break into HW equipment soon enough. You definitely don't need anything higher than ilev 115 for the end of the level 50 questlines. In general though always use tomestones to get your weapon first.

Beast dailies are every bit the horrifying grind you're expecting, but you will be able to do 6 quests per day at least. However, the low level ones still only give 5 rep. On the bright side, they don't level as you level, so eventually you'll just be sprinting through them. It's content that doesn't seem to have aged well and you have so much HW content coming that I would say maybe pick a single beast tribe that you like and run their quests. The only thing locked behind beast tribe rep is storyline for each beast tribe (and some mythical quest if you get all the tribes to max loyalty) and eventually a neat mount per tribe, so take that into account.

Relic quest: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
You get upgraded Soldiery gear (110) from MSQ now that's better than the Ishgard vendor gear, and in fact better than your first couple sets of quest gear in HW.

That said, get the Ishgard vendor weapon, because it's a long stretch of time from 90 to 110. The rest of the stuff isn't really worth the expense for the short amount of time you'll be using it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As someone who finished a relic just the other day, it took me about a month. That's on-and-off grinding, but the light stage specifically I ground at least... ten hours? Five windows' worth of full time grinding.

e: as in, don't do it unless you LOVE the glamour and think you'll love it for years to come

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

You get upgraded Soldiery gear (110) from MSQ now that's better than the Ishgard vendor gear, and in fact better than your first couple sets of quest gear in HW.

That said, get the Ishgard vendor weapon, because it's a long stretch of time from 90 to 110. The rest of the stuff isn't really worth the expense for the short amount of time you'll be using it.

But what else are you doing to use poetics on? Animus books?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

hobbesmaster posted:

But what else are you doing to use poetics on? Animus books?

Personally, I'd spend it on the third class you plan to get to 60, since you can get a full set of (Tank or Melee) and (Healer or Caster or BRD/MCH) gear from MSQ. It's not a big deal, of course, and I wasn't even talking about Poetics in the first place; I was talking about Ishgard vendor gear. Better to save your gil for raid supplies or leveling gatherers/crafters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
PS4 havers: Squeenix put out a limited time release (it stops working four weeks after you launch it, or at the end of November) of 32 songs from the Before the Fall soundtrack on Japanese PSN. It's free to download, but requires PSPlus to get the full release. Don't have PSPlus on a Japanese account? No problem, just play it on any other region's account that DOES have PSPlus and it'll work fine.

Includes papaya.

• Locked thread