Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

I'm glad we don't actually have to care what troops think, because this isn't Rome and I'm not Caesar.

Thanks for your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well killing cops is already illegal and prosecuted more harshly than other crimes, so civilians already operate under an ROE, maybe cops should have the same.

Actually come to think of it the ROE for civilians is even harsher, since a cop can demand you put out a cigarette then drag you out of the car and beat you for refusing and people will defend it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

VitalSigns posted:

Well killing cops is already illegal and prosecuted more harshly than other crimes, so civilians already operate under an ROE, maybe cops should have the same.

Actually come to think of it the ROE for civilians is even harsher, since a cop can demand you put out a cigarette then drag you out of the car and beat you for refusing and people will defend it.

Cool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

For example, several months into my tour I adopted an "us vs them" mentality, and I was very hateful towards the general population simply because friends of mine had been killed. One platoon in the 82nd (I was 101st) got massacred about three miles away from us.

well it's a good thing there were ROE to prevent you from murdering people

Cole posted:

The lack of FDA regulation would kill people. In the case of ROE, the regulation gets people killed.

See the difference?

oh right, arabs aren't actually people. carry on

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Popular Thug Drink posted:

well it's a good thing there were ROE to prevent you from murdering people

oh right, arabs aren't actually people. carry on

Ya

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

instead of demonstrating how little you care about other people's lives as a show of how tough you are, you could just, you know, not post

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Popular Thug Drink posted:

instead of demonstrating how little you care about other people's lives as a show of how tough you are, you could just, you know, not post

No.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why do people respond to Cole again?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

chitoryu12 posted:

Why do people respond to Cole again?

I dunno!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

E: NVM.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/oregon-sheriff-shared-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theory-on-facebook.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

quote:

As the national debate over gun control raged online after the mass shooting at Umpqua Community College on Thursday, comments on the subject posted on Facebook by Sheriff John Hanlin of Douglas County, whose force responded to the latest rampage, came under scrutiny.

The sheriff, who has made no secret of his strident opposition to tougher gun laws, made his views clear in a letter to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. posted on his department’s Facebook page on Jan. 16, 2013, after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Mr. Hanlin urged the vice president to treat his letter as “a formal request that you NOT tamper with or attempt to amend” the Second Amendment.

“Gun control is NOT the answer to preventing heinous crimes like school shootings,” he wrote, adding that efforts to restrict gun ownership “would be irresponsible and an indisputable insult to the American people.”

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

In Stewart Park in Roseburg, Ore., Greg Kovach and his daughter Kya Kovach on Thursday honored the shooting victims at Umpqua Community College.In Note Left Behind, Gunman ‘Did Not Like His Lot in Life,’ Officials SayOCT. 2, 2015
Oregon Shooting at Umpqua College Kills 10, Sheriff SaysOCT. 1, 2015
The sheriff also warned the vice president that “any federal regulation enacted by Congress or by executive order of the president offending the constitutional rights of my citizens shall not be enforced by me or by my deputies, nor will I permit the enforcement of any unconstitutional regulations or orders by federal officers within the borders of Douglas County Oregon.”

Three days before that letter was released, Mr. Hanlin shared a link on his personal Facebook page to a YouTube video, which suggested that the shootings at Sandy Hook — and the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 — might have been staged by the federal government to provide a pretext for “disarming the public” through gun control legislation. In a comment imploring his Facebook friends to watch that video, whose producer claims that the parents of children “allegedly shot” at Sandy Hook were actors, the sheriff wrote, “This makes me wonder who we can trust anymore.”

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That sheriff is 100% right.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

-Troika- posted:

That sheriff is 100% right.
I'm hoping you stopped reading before you got to the Sandy Hook/9-11 truther part at the bottom.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grey Fox posted:

I'm hoping you stopped reading before you got to the Sandy Hook/9-11 truther part at the bottom.

I meant about the gun law stuff. My eyes kind of automatically glaze over when I reach text with conspiracy theories in it.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
He thinks the area's citizens need the guns to fight off illuminati tyrants coming to take their guns. To a lot of NRA members that would be 100% right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A mass shooting a day in America is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that my gun safe can fight off the US Army evil Muslim Obamatroopers

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
After a DUI arrest, Miami-Dade commissioner embraced by police,

In the days after Miami-Dade Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz was arrested on charges of drunken driving, a county law-enforcement group went online with a petition about the incident. The message from Miami-Dade’s Hispanic Police Officers Association: We support Diaz.

“Thousands of residents join Commissioner Diaz at rallies, and ceremonies for fallen police officers, such as at the ‘Support Our Police’ motorcycle ride and rally,” the association’s executive board wrote in a change.org petition urging Gov. Rick Scott not to suspend Diaz from office. “He is a remarkably valuable individual to the community.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article37405209.html

Diaz’s arrest was captured by the body cameras that Key West recently issued to its police officers. Miami-Dade’s police union resisted Miami-Dade purchasing similar equipment, and Diaz was one of only two commissioners to vote against them in June. From the commission dais, Diaz frequently mentions his strong support for police, and he carried that theme after being pulled over in Key West.

Diaz didn’t have his driver’s license and introduced himself to officers as “Commissioner Diaz from Miami-Dade County” and later as the “most pro-police guy there is.” Surveillance footage captured an officer responding, “Pro-police or not, you had no business driving a motorcycle tonight.”

Diaz, an avid Harley rider, was in Key West for the annual Poker Run motorcycle party. Police pulled him over shortly after 7 p.m. for going 74 mph in a 30-mph-zone near mile-marker 1.

seems about right.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Another good read someone linked in the US politics thread: http://www.vice.com/read/unauthorized-group-activity-0000772-v22n10

This one is about how DAs and prison guards retaliate and torture inmates who dare file a complaint.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Look you just don't personally know enough DAs to complain about this issue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know an ADA, can I complain?

The DA threatened to fire him if he didn't stop volunteering his free time for the Innocence Project.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The DA threatened to fire him if he didn't stop volunteering his free time for the Innocence Project.

TBH, that's kinda a legit conflict of interest in an adversarial system.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBH, that's kinda a legit conflict of interest in an adversarial system.

Maybe. I think the prosecutors aren't exact analogues to the defense though, because the defense attorney works for their client while the prosecutor works for "justice" or something like that.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah wouldn't it only be a conflict of interest of he was handling cases he or his office had done?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good news, to follow up on something I posted awhile back. The Travis County (Texas) DA suspended the unit that was entirely paid for by an insurance company and used by the insurance company to bring criminal charges in its business dealings.

quote:

District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg said in a statement that a contract between her office and the mega-insurer — set to be renewed Oct. 1 — will be placed on hold. The insurer will continue to fund the four-person fraud unit handling Texas Mutual's cases through the end of the year "to avoid unnecessary hardship" on the county, the company said.

While pointing out that the agreement is legal, "nonetheless, understanding the perception questions that have been raised, my office is exploring how to continue our important work in the area of worker's compensation insurance fraud," Lehmberg said.

"I intend to ask a group of public officials to work with me to evaluate funding options and work through the issues," she said in a statement.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Cole posted:

They establish the ROE to make the population feel secure. David Petraeus wrote the counter insurgency manual after going weapons free in Iraq just made things more violent. When he wrote the COIN manual and took over command of Iraq we started "winning." It has carried over.

The problem is COIN essentially ties troops' hands and you have to actively be in danger before you can do anything. It makes troops feel like they aren't allowed to be proactive with their safety. And being reactive in a combat zone means you either got shot at or blown up.

This directly relates to police in America, because something similar to counter insurgency* would probably be effective as long as you don't take away most proactive measures that police could take to ensure their own safety.

* don't let the name scare you. Counter Insurgency's main focus is to win the hearts and minds of a population. And let's be clear, cops in America aren't winning the hearts and minds of people.

I hate to respond to people who are probated...but you had some lovely ROE instructors. Rule is hostile act OR reasonable belief of hostile intent...So you can be proactive as long as you have an objectively reasonable belief that poo poo's about to go down. (i.e. would a reasonable person in the same position feel that there was hostile intent) What you can't do is just start unloading on noncombatants "because."

PostNouveau posted:

Probably because it's a violation of the rules of professional responsibility? What happens if, while volunteering for the innocence project, I learn information that's useful to my job as a prosecutor, or vice versa? It's not just that one case you have to worry about...it's every case it might touch on. Witnesses, sources, co defendants, victims... we tend to see a lot of repeat players in the high level cases. Your ADA friend is an idiot if he didn't see the conflict there. Hell, I can't even do pro bono legal aid work because of the risk a person with a "family law" issue might inadvertently tell me about something criminal.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Probably because it's a violation of the rules of professional responsibility? What happens if, while volunteering for the innocence project, I learn information that's useful to my job as a prosecutor, or vice versa? It's not just that one case you have to worry about...it's every case it might touch on. Witnesses, sources, co defendants, victims... we tend to see a lot of repeat players in the high level cases. Your ADA friend is an idiot if he didn't see the conflict there. Hell, I can't even do pro bono legal aid work because of the risk a person with a "family law" issue might inadvertently tell me about something criminal.

I'm not positive on the details, but he's licensed in more than one state, and I believe he was doing the nonprofit work for a state he's not a prosecutor in.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Hell, I can't even do pro bono legal aid work because of the risk a person with a "family law" issue might inadvertently tell me about something criminal.

Are you obligated to push for charges against any criminal act you become aware of, or do you mean "criminal cases currently under investigation/in court"?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Are you obligated to push for charges against any criminal act you become aware of, or do you mean "criminal cases currently under investigation/in court"?

I'd imagine its also a rather big conflict that someone in the DA's office has access to information that should be considered privileged about a defendant or potential defendant, and also a prosecutor is in the position of advising a client on how to not get punished for illegal behavior.

The potential for, and appearance of, impropriety is so great that the idea of doing it just seems mindbogglingly stupid to me.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jarmak posted:

The potential for, and appearance of, impropriety is so great that the idea of doing it just seems mindbogglingly stupid to me.

I'm actually surprised the innocence project was okay with it, assuming they were fully aware of the situation.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. —

An Orange County sheriff's deputy was caught on camera kicking a man.

A woman said the same deputy dislocated her shoulder, and now the parents of a 17-year-old boy claim the deputy beat their son in their driveway. Channel 9 has learned that the deputy faced a long list of problems before being fired from another agency.

In the past seven years, Deputy Richard Nye has seen 21 excessive-force complaints filed against him.

Same old same.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Hooded Reptile posted:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. —

A woman said the same deputy dislocated her shoulder, and now the parents of a 17-year-old boy claim the deputy beat their son in their driveway. Channel 9 has learned that the deputy faced a long list of problems before being fired from another agency.

In the past seven years, Deputy Richard Nye has seen 21 excessive-force complaints filed against him.

Same old same.

And another in Oklahoma except they are going to try and fire him again.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/10/oklahoma-cop-with-history-of-violence-charged-for-beating-suspect-with-shotgun/

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Is there a reason cops who are fired for excessive force complaints are still to continue to be cops? Like this is right out of the Catholic church's playbook by shuffling around pedophiles to different parishes.

Mavric fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mavric posted:

Is there a reason cops who are fired excessive force complaints are still to continue to be cops? Like this is right out of the Catholic church's playbook by shuffling around pedophiles to different parishes.

There aren't always enough instructor positions to give them instead.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mavric posted:

Is there a reason cops who are fired excessive force complaints are still to continue to be cops? Like this is right out of the Catholic church's playbook by shuffling around pedophiles to different parishes.

There's a difference between a complaint being filed and a complaint being found justified. It's hard to fire someone without the latter.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not positive on the details, but he's licensed in more than one state, and I believe he was doing the nonprofit work for a state he's not a prosecutor in.

Even assuming he had some sort of perfect firewall between his pro-bono work and his prosecution work, what if another prosecutor who he is friends with got assigned to one of his Innocence cases? There are just way too many opportunities for impropriety or the appearance of it.

Grundulum posted:

Or worse, criminal cases that later end up in court.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 7, 2015

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
What? They did fire him though?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mavric posted:

In the Orange County case, it says that the officer has had 21 excessive force complaints filed against him, but it doesn't say how many were upheld.

If you're talking about the Oklahoma case, the officer was fired and challenged it in arbitration. The department lost, appealed, lost again, and had to re-hire the officer, although the article never explains the court or arbitrator's reasoning.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Mavric posted:

For the guy in OK he was successfully fired but then he sued and won back pay. yeah that ^

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hooded Reptile posted:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. —

Same old same.

Dick Nye the violence guy.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
‘YouTube effect’ has left police officers under siege, law enforcement leaders say.

Chiefs of some of the nation’s biggest police departments say officers in American cities have pulled back and have stopped policing as aggressively as they used to, fearing that they could be the next person in a uniform featured on a career-ending viral video.

The career ending video is the Michael Slager one where, a white police officer, firing a series of shots into the back of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man who was running away.

Chiefs said patrol officers still do their jobs, clocking in and policing their beats. But fewer take extra steps such as confronting a group loitering on a sidewalk late at night that might glean intelligence or lead to arrests, for fear that any altercations that ensued would be uploaded to the Internet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nt-leaders-say/

Oh, and South Carolina city to pay $6.5 million over police shooting of black man,

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/09/us-usa-police-south-carolina-idUSKCN0S301U20151009

Why even be a cop if you don't want to do your job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Cops: We won't take actions that could easily lead to us violating the civil rights of citizens by extra-judicially murdering them

"Oh no," said Br'er Rabbit, "don't throw me in that briar patch, that's the last thing I want!"

• Locked thread