Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

spongepuppy posted:

What drivers are these?

The driver for windows display (thumbnails), and the Adobe RAW pack, which I didn't know was a thing. I think there was something else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

change my name posted:

The driver for windows display (thumbnails), and the Adobe RAW pack, which I didn't know was a thing. I think there was something else too.

Oh OK - I just use Bridge for work mostly, so I guess I've never missed thumbnails in explorer. I don't think I've installed any raw packs for adobe stuff either - do they add anything to ACR that the regular CC updates don't?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

spongepuppy posted:

Oh OK - I just use Bridge for work mostly, so I guess I've never missed thumbnails in explorer. I don't think I've installed any raw packs for adobe stuff either - do they add anything to ACR that the regular CC updates don't?

Not from what I can tell, but I couldn't even open them before I installed it. I think some of the icons changed but functionality-wise it's the same. I'm still running CS6 at home and work though, so maybe the creative cloud versions just have those updates pushed to them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any reason I'd want my X-T10's focus mode to be in "Single AF" mode instead of just keeping it in "Continuous AF" mode all the time? I know people have issues with Fuji's AF with subjects moving, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to just always have it in Continuous mode.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

change my name posted:

Wow guys, love the proprietary RAW format that I have to install drivers for with the A7. Really convenient.

You mean like every other camera manufacturer out there?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any way to use an online website to convert Sony raw file to jpg? My dumb worker shot a bunch of raw photos for work which will be resized to web size and used for intranet blog/news anyway.

I can't even see the thumb nails of these photos. And obviously my work IT has blocked even dropbox/One Drive/cloud sharing service AND flickr as well.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 3, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Is there any way to use an online website to convert Sony raw file to jpg? My dumb worker shot a bunch of raw photos for work which will be resized to web size and used for intranet blog/news anyway.

I can't even see the thumb nails of these photos. And obviously my work IT has blocked even dropbox/One Drive/cloud sharing service AND flickr as well.

http://www.owned.org/

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there any reason I'd want my X-T10's focus mode to be in "Single AF" mode instead of just keeping it in "Continuous AF" mode all the time? I know people have issues with Fuji's AF with subjects moving, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to just always have it in Continuous mode.
The continuous AF will hunt around a lot, especially in low light, to make sure it is remaining accurate. It simply won't get as sharp as single AF unless you're shooting at f/10 or above. Use single AF unless absolutely required.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Nope, but you could still get jpegs if you use the Sony app to transfer the images from the camera to your phone, and from your phone to your computer. They will be down sampled but more usable than raw

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

HPL posted:

You mean like every other camera manufacturer out there?

Pentax and a few others shoot DNG, which is what I was comparing it to. This is a stupid derail and I recognize that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

change my name posted:

Pentax and a few others shoot DNG, which is what I was comparing it to. This is a stupid derail and I recognize that.

But for the other 99.9% of the camera world, it's proprietary raw formats, so it's something we just have to live with. I'm with you in that it's stupid, but that's the way it is. Probably a conspiracy with the software makers so you have to keep upgrading your software every time you get a new camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Nope, but you could still get jpegs if you use the Sony app to transfer the images from the camera to your phone, and from your phone to your computer. They will be down sampled but more usable than raw

I can't even do that since work computers have locked down all the USB ports. It's fine I will just use the couple photos I took. I will leave the raw files on his PC to serve as a lesson to him.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

change my name posted:

It's not a derail. Your suffering was caused by the Tyranny of Japanese comsumer photographic industrial monopoly. Never forget!

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I acquired a Sony a5000 and loved it so much I sold off my Canon gear. However, I still have an awesome Canon lens that I can't decide whether to sell or not (http://gizmodo.com/sigma-18-35mm-f-1-8-review-the-best-low-light-zoom-len-950860947)

Is it worth it to get an adapter and use this lens on a mirrorless, or should I sell it and use the money to buy a Sony-specific lens?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

T Zero posted:

I acquired a Sony a5000 and loved it so much I sold off my Canon gear. However, I still have an awesome Canon lens that I can't decide whether to sell or not (http://gizmodo.com/sigma-18-35mm-f-1-8-review-the-best-low-light-zoom-len-950860947)

Is it worth it to get an adapter and use this lens on a mirrorless, or should I sell it and use the money to buy a Sony-specific lens?

It's designed for the size of sensor you have and optically it's a fantastic lens. You could use an adapter and higher end ones (Metabones) will allow you to adjust the aperture, however the autofocus will be unusable and in my experience active adaption between Sony and Canon can be a tad buggy (my a7s crashes occasionally with the adapter). If you ever do video work it can be an amazing tool.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

T Zero posted:

I don't know if it's worth it or not, but sigma lets you swap out the mount for a fee.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/change-your-mount

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007

akadajet posted:

I don't know if it's worth it or not, but sigma lets you swap out the mount for a fee.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/change-your-mount

It seems you can only swap to A mount if you choose to convert a non-dn lens.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

XTimmy posted:

It's designed for the size of sensor you have and optically it's a fantastic lens. You could use an adapter and higher end ones (Metabones) will allow you to adjust the aperture, however the autofocus will be unusable and in my experience active adaption between Sony and Canon can be a tad buggy (my a7s crashes occasionally with the adapter). If you ever do video work it can be an amazing tool.

Yeah, I really liked what it could do with my Canon - long exposure evening shots were great. It's also great with ambient indoor lighting. My Sony actually has a much more robust feature set , so I really wanted to pair the Sigma lens with the a5000.

getsuga posted:

It seems you can only swap to A mount if you choose to convert a non-dn lens.

Oh. Too bad. I really want an E-mount version of the 210101. I don't think Sony has anything remotely similar in the lineup.

I may just get the metabones adapter. Let me think about it.

Edit:

Just saw this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBL03G6/ref=twister_B00DO2M27K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is the DT mount the same as A-Mount? What the verdict on adapting A-mount to E-mount?

T Zero fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 4, 2015

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

T Zero posted:

Yeah, I really liked what it could do with my Canon - long exposure evening shots were great. It's also great with ambient indoor lighting. My Sony actually has a much more robust feature set , so I really wanted to pair the Sigma lens with the a5000.

Oh. Too bad. I really want an E-mount version of the 210101. I don't think Sony has anything remotely similar in the lineup.

I may just get the metabones adapter. Let me think about it.

Edit:

Just saw this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBL03G6/ref=twister_B00DO2M27K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is the DT mount the same as A-Mount? What the verdict on adapting A-mount to E-mount?

I have adapted a to fe mount, but I use the le-a4 for my a7 and it is awesome. The ability for me to use a mount lenses made me able to get a 17-35 wide angle lense for an affordable price , and even with the third stop of light loss the images were vibrant and clear.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

LA-EA 2/4 has basically a native A-mount AF system built into it, so everything in the Sony & minolta lens lineup will work like a charm on an axxxx camera coupled with that adapter..

Except that the past generations of Sony SLT bodies (most recently the a77/99) had IBIS and so none of the lenses come with stabilization. That wouldn't be too bad, except that there's also the 1/3 stop (closer to 1/2 stop in my experience ) of light loss that comes with the translucent lens that is integral to the A-mount AF system present in the adapter. So you basically trade 1/3 stop of light and OS for fast AF.

So if you have any kind of need to do action/low-light/indoor/telephoto stuff, it might not be the best deal. Wide angle zooms and fast wide to normal primes are where you can broaden your selection of lenses with the Sony adapter. If you need any lenses for the the previously-mentioned applications, you're better off IMO going with an EF adapter like metabones, as you will probably find the OS and extra light to be more valuable than AF; as long as you have good reflexes and can use focus peaking and magnification effectively. Although for birds in flight, fast action sports, and the like, lack of AF will be a considerable obstacle. I'm still building up manual focusing skills, but hey, its how everyone did it for decades before the mid-80s.

Edit: for now, my LA-EA 4 sits on my shelf and sees little use. But maybe one day I'll get an a7ii, which has IBIS. Or (fingers crossed) Sony will release an aps-c E-mount camera with IBIS.

Fake edit: Or just finally make a goddamn native e-mount super telephoto lens.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 5, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Except that the Sony SLT bodies weren't that great at high ISO, whereas the A7/NEX series are, so at the very least, the light loss from the adapter will mean you'll still kick butt versus the equivalent SLT body.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
So with the m43 Pano Leica 100-400mm that's on the way, what sort of price point should I be expecting? I'm curious if I should just give up hope and "settle" for the not-dust/water-sealed Oly M.Zuiko 75-300mm. :(

All I've got right now is the 12-50mm that came with my E-M5, and I would like something that would allow me to get wildlife shots while I'm hiking without having to creep up towards things that could gore me to death/off a cliff.

Momma Goat on the Move by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 5, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In regards to Sony, I don't even get why there needs to be a LAEA-4. You'd think that the owner of two mounts would be able to translate accordingly between the electrical protocols to actually not need a dedicated AF module in the adapter. Not even sure how things are dealt with in the A7RII, which can do phase AF after all.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regards to Sony, I don't even get why there needs to be a LAEA-4. You'd think that the owner of two mounts would be able to translate accordingly between the electrical protocols to actually not need a dedicated AF module in the adapter. Not even sure how things are dealt with in the A7RII, which can do phase AF after all.

AFAIK you can use the A-Mount lenses with the EA-3 adapter also, it's just slow as molasses? Lens motors designed for best performance on PDAF systems vs CDAF systems need to be different as far as I can tell with the Canon stuff. The STM motors are clearly slower with viewfinder PDAF, but when you use them in Live View, they are just as clearly way faster than the USM lenses. So it seems like optimization for quick jumps from one distance to another vs very small discrete adjustments are better for one vs the other.

The A7R2 from what I read, has a sufficiently advanced PDAF system now that you don't need the SLT adapter anymore to get full performance from A-Mount lenses.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

So with the m43 Pano Leica 100-400mm that's on the way, what sort of price point should I be expecting? I'm curious if I should just give up hope and "settle" for the not-dust/water-sealed Oly M.Zuiko 75-300mm. :(

All I've got right now is the 12-50mm that came with my E-M5, and I would like something that would allow me to get wildlife shots while I'm hiking without having to creep up towards things that could gore me to death/off a cliff.
The non pro 40-150 was 100 bucks or so new all last month so there're likely a decent one floating around for that if you'd like a stopgap. I'd assume the 100-400 will be more than 600 though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

timrenzi574 posted:

AFAIK you can use the A-Mount lenses with the EA-3 adapter also, it's just slow as molasses?
Using the EA-3, it defaults to CDAF only on the older A7 cameras, whereas the A7RII can drive the lens via PDAF regardless. I guess "Sony".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Mr. Wookums posted:

The non pro 40-150 was 100 bucks or so new all last month so there're likely a decent one floating around for that if you'd like a stopgap. I'd assume the 100-400 will be more than 600 though.

Yeah I'd be shocked if the 100-400 was under $550 or so, and like Wookums said, the lower end 40-150mm is dirt cheap and really solid for the price.

For what it's worth, the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro has a button on it that you can default to trigger the "digital teleconverter" (basically halves the size of the sensor), which covers a pretty drat good range and keeps the quality pretty decent. I'll get some comparison pictures up soon if I can.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Honestly, I'd expect it to cost somewhere north of $1500 USD on release. A mkii Canon EF 100-400 will set you back over 2 grand, and a Nocticron 42.5 is over $1500.
If there was a pool, I'd pick $1899 MSRP.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Using the EA-3, it defaults to CDAF only on the older A7 cameras, whereas the A7RII can drive the lens via PDAF regardless. I guess "Sony".

They probably weren't comfortable enough with the performance level of the PDAF on the older A7's is all. I mean ,from all accounts the performance of the system in the A7R2 is leaps and bounds beyond the earlier cameras, so no big surprise there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I hadn't really heard much about that 100-400. If this is what yall are talking about, then yeah i'd be stunned to see it below $1,000

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'd be shocked if the 100-400 was under $550 or so

But how far over $550 are we talking...

DJExile posted:

I hadn't really heard much about that 100-400. If this is what yall are talking about, then yeah i'd be stunned to see it below $1,000

Yeah, that's it. Godsdamnit :(

DJExile posted:

like Wookums said, the lower end 40-150mm is dirt cheap and really solid for the price.

For what it's worth, the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro has a button on it that you can default to trigger the "digital teleconverter" (basically halves the size of the sensor), which covers a pretty drat good range and keeps the quality pretty decent. I'll get some comparison pictures up soon if I can.

I'd love to see some shots with this lens - for example, would it be usable for birds or other skittish animals that you can't really get near? What sort of wildlife-shooting range would I be looking at, reasonably? I've an E-M5 (mk 1).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJExile posted:

This? http://www.camerastuffreview.com/olympus-lens-review/review-olympus-1-4-teleconverter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

No that's an actual one. This is a setting in the menu straight up called "Digital Teleconverter". I'm almost positive all the OMD bodies have it. Not sure about the PEN models.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

LA-EA 2/4 has basically a native A-mount AF system built into it, so everything in the Sony & minolta lens lineup will work like a charm on an axxxx camera coupled with that adapter..

Except that the past generations of Sony SLT bodies (most recently the a77/99) had IBIS and so none of the lenses come with stabilization. That wouldn't be too bad, except that there's also the 1/3 stop (closer to 1/2 stop in my experience ) of light loss that comes with the translucent lens that is integral to the A-mount AF system present in the adapter. So you basically trade 1/3 stop of light and OS for fast AF.

So if you have any kind of need to do action/low-light/indoor/telephoto stuff, it might not be the best deal. Wide angle zooms and fast wide to normal primes are where you can broaden your selection of lenses with the Sony adapter. If you need any lenses for the the previously-mentioned applications, you're better off IMO going with an EF adapter like metabones, as you will probably find the OS and extra light to be more valuable than AF; as long as you have good reflexes and can use focus peaking and magnification effectively. Although for birds in flight, fast action sports, and the like, lack of AF will be a considerable obstacle. I'm still building up manual focusing skills, but hey, its how everyone did it for decades before the mid-80s.

Edit: for now, my LA-EA 4 sits on my shelf and sees little use. But maybe one day I'll get an a7ii, which has IBIS. Or (fingers crossed) Sony will release an aps-c E-mount camera with IBIS.

Fake edit: Or just finally make a goddamn native e-mount super telephoto lens.

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have adapted a to fe mount, but I use the le-a4 for my a7 and it is awesome. The ability for me to use a mount lenses made me able to get a 17-35 wide angle lense for an affordable price , and even with the third stop of light loss the images were vibrant and clear.

I'm a reporter and taking photos is a secondary/tertiary aspect of my job. I switched to mirrorless because my Canon kit took up too much space and weight when I'm on assignment or on the road. Most of my shooting tends to be indoors (press conferences, labs, offices, etc.) so I wanted to make sure I had a good low light setup that works quickly without a flash.

What I'm thinking is I'll get the adapter for the Canon-mount Sigma 210101 to fit my e-mount Sony. This one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994949-REG/fotodiox_eos_auto_nex_p_adapter_for_canon_ef.html) looks like it has good reviews and is way cheaper than metabones. This seems like less trouble than exchanging for the A-mount version of the lens and getting an A- to E- adapter.

Worst-case scenario: I can just sell everything and just about break even. Thoughts?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

But how far over $550 are we talking...

Yeah, that's it. Godsdamnit :(

I'd love to see some shots with this lens - for example, would it be usable for birds or other skittish animals that you can't really get near? What sort of wildlife-shooting range would I be looking at, reasonably? I've an E-M5 (mk 1).

The Panasonic 100-300 is actually pretty okay for birds and wildlife, as long as you aren't comparing it with the results from a good dslr with a high end lens (Canon L).
Here's a couple of better results that I've taken with it. FWIW I found it did better with motorsports than birds.

https://flic.kr/p/rGt4pr
https://flic.kr/p/syR84S
https://flic.kr/p/syPn2o

(I'll try to edit these later with thumbs but I'm on my phone at the moment and the Flickr app doesn't auto format Bb code.)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

T Zero posted:

I'm a reporter and taking photos is a secondary/tertiary aspect of my job. I switched to mirrorless because my Canon kit took up too much space and weight when I'm on assignment or on the road. Most of my shooting tends to be indoors (press conferences, labs, offices, etc.) so I wanted to make sure I had a good low light setup that works quickly without a flash.

What I'm thinking is I'll get the adapter for the Canon-mount Sigma 210101 to fit my e-mount Sony. This one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994949-REG/fotodiox_eos_auto_nex_p_adapter_for_canon_ef.html) looks like it has good reviews and is way cheaper than metabones. This seems like less trouble than exchanging for the A-mount version of the lens and getting an A- to E- adapter.

Worst-case scenario: I can just sell everything and just about break even. Thoughts?

Just as long as you're cool with having your camera up to your eye for a few seconds longer than you would if you were using AF, and needing to manually focus which is fiddly. That Sigma is a great lens so I can understand why you wouldn't want to give it up. Just know that manual focus isn't, well, automatic. It takes some practice. If I were doing it for money I might have some reservations, but it's definitely a viable approach in my opinion.

Even though I manually focus my 400mm L adapted to an a6000 making a crazy 90%-lens camera rig, and it works fine for me for wildlife photography, it feels a little odd to be manually focusing with a camera so renowned for its AF speed.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

DJExile posted:

like Wookums said, the lower end 40-150mm is dirt cheap and really solid for the price.
I used the one I bought a while back for the first time today. It was $63 on KEH and at that price, you can't afford not to have one.

PA050198 by vince_nh, on Flickr

PA050329 by vince_nh, on Flickr

PA050360 by vince_nh, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Just got the TCL converter for my X100. Love it. There were a few times I wanted some shot compression, or to be able to do headshots without the giant noses a 35mm gives. Really really pleased with the quality of this converter.

_DSF6935.jpg by Ben Mathis, on Flickr

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just got the Minolta to E Mount adapter, and I have to shill for putting down the 10 bucks if you're on the fence/have older lenses lying around. The Minolta Rokkor-x 50mm 1.4 was always my favorite film lens, and it's still fantastic on the A7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah my Minolta SR to E-mount adapter has been a great purchase. IQ on all three of the SR lenses I've purchased has been really good. I've got an MC 58mm 1.4 that I bought for around $50 shipped and it's pretty much my favorite lens on my a6000 (and also now XD-7).