Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

This guy has some as well as general harbor mods. Disclaimer: I've not tried them yet

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448355071&searchtext=vip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Yeah VIP has two or so cargo ship models that are ploppables, I've used them before and they fit in.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I got bored last night, so I threw on the Unlock Everything and Unlimited Money and had a go at making something resembling the original idea for EPCOT:

http://imgur.com/a/qwp3k

Can't quite make it properly due to the lack of elevated rail/monorail, and you can't have roads connect to buildings' basements, but the design itself still worked surprisingly well.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Apparently trying to get your citizens educated too quickly is a bad thing. My industrial and commercial zones are going understaffed because citizens are turning up their noses at ice cube factories. Get off your high horse citizens, you went to loving high school, you don't exactly have a PhD! You don't get to be snooty until I can start putting up office buildings and skyscrapers!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

:stare:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I erroneously missed out on this one because I thought this was related to Cities XL which sucked balls.

This game however is amazing. My first two cities are perpertually stuck in gridlock in certain areas. How do I mass delete sections of my city so I can rebuild?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hit escape to bring up the menu -> New City

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Big infrastructure projects can drain you fast, as long as you're in the profit don't be afraid to let it run for a while to build up money.

Full refund on bulldozed roads while paused. Makes building interchanges worry free: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409507507

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sitchelin posted:

Apparently trying to get your citizens educated too quickly is a bad thing. My industrial and commercial zones are going understaffed because citizens are turning up their noses at ice cube factories. Get off your high horse citizens, you went to loving high school, you don't exactly have a PhD! You don't get to be snooty until I can start putting up office buildings and skyscrapers!

Dropouts is your friend, as is the fancy new “School's Out” policy.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Beginner question- I'm trying to build my first city in the Cliffside Bay map, and I keep getting the poop in the mouth water and vice versa. Everything online said that I should be building my sewage outflow downstream of my water pumps, but Cliffside doesn't have any rivers, it just has a huge bay- is there any way to make pumps and sewage play nice together, or should I be putting sewage in the bay, and using water towers instead of pumps to draw clean water?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Beginner question- I'm trying to build my first city in the Cliffside Bay map, and I keep getting the poop in the mouth water and vice versa. Everything online said that I should be building my sewage outflow downstream of my water pumps, but Cliffside doesn't have any rivers, it just has a huge bay- is there any way to make pumps and sewage play nice together, or should I be putting sewage in the bay, and using water towers instead of pumps to draw clean water?

Water towers is the safer bet, but iirc, if you gamble a bit you can expand juuust fast enough to move your pumps along the coast until they sit safely in the other bay at the other end of the valley. There is a slight current to the sea that will make the sewage spread more in one direction than the other (but not strong enough to keep it from spreading at all), and it should be enough to keep you safe… ish…

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

On a side note, it blows my mind that they thought ahead enough to actually model currents... I am having an absolute blast with this whenever I manage to get a lid on the chaos for five seconds. :)

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Yo, I feel like it was linked earlier, and now I can't find it, but what mod is this that spits out that extra information on panels?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

JonBolds posted:

Yo, I feel like it was linked earlier, and now I can't find it, but what mod is this that spits out that extra information on panels?

Extended Building Information

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I grabbed this game during the sale this morning, before the steam sale ended.

This game is good. It even beats my previous favourite city builder, Simcity 3000 Unlimited. Obviously it beats SimCity 2013.

I even grabbed After Dark. I will make a complete shithole of a city and nobody can stop me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My first real city since AD arrived and it's going well, just topped 10k and already having traffic problems, so all's well. It's not much yet but I like it, and it's very pretty. View from the highest peak on the island;

:unsmith:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got a nice compact highway offramp up on the workshop?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reason posted:

Anyone got a nice compact highway offramp up on the workshop?

It’s nice and compact in a fashion.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is there a specific mod that I need to be able to draw a road going perpendicular to another road and stop? It is forcing me to keep either one tile between the roads or create an intersection but I would prefer if it touches.

e: I can actually get it to work by having a 2 lane running up to a 4 lane, I guess due to it already occupying the offending tile. Just not two 2 lanes.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 6, 2015

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

My quest to play this game on unsupported hardware is going on. I just surpassed 19k citizens, and at this point my system is constantly bumping up against the 4 GB of memory present in the system. Stopping this city until memory situation improves.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Is there a specific mod that I need to be able to draw a road going perpendicular to another road and stop? It is forcing me to keep either one tile between the roads or create an intersection but I would prefer if it touches.

e: I can actually get it to work by having a 2 lane running up to a 4 lane, I guess due to it already occupying the offending tile. Just not two 2 lanes.

It's call RoadAnarchy or something similar.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Two questions that arise from a couple of hours of playing-

1) How the hell am I supposed to maintain enough fire coverage? I have oodles of stations in every district, I'm losing most of my money to maintaining them, and most of the city is still orange or red.

2) Once I hit around 20,000 citizens I start having craploads of corpses pile up in homes awaiting transport. I have enough cemeteries, so my assumption is that it's pointing to an early traffic problem. Is there a general trick to planning your roads out to avoid awful congestion? I've been using gridwork 4-lane roads with little effect.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Omi no Kami posted:

Two questions that arise from a couple of hours of playing-

1) How the hell am I supposed to maintain enough fire coverage? I have oodles of stations in every district, I'm losing most of my money to maintaining them, and most of the city is still orange or red.

2) Once I hit around 20,000 citizens I start having craploads of corpses pile up in homes awaiting transport. I have enough cemeteries, so my assumption is that it's pointing to an early traffic problem. Is there a general trick to planning your roads out to avoid awful congestion? I've been using gridwork 4-lane roads with little effect.

Both of these are due to road networks which are clogged up somewhere and impeding the transit of your fire engines and hearses

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cims live exactly 6 years, so 20,000 is about roughly when you hit the 6 year mark in game and all that initial building you did at once comes back to bite you. There's a mod called premature death or something like that, which kills Cims at random to kind of round out things a little and not create that huge death spike.

Also make sure your water sources aren't near any sources of pollution.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Omi no Kami posted:

It's actually most likely because your citizens are dying faster than your hearses can go around the city picking them up. Once your population reaches around 20-40,000, the people who initially moved into the city will start to die off all at once because of the rapid expansion you have to do in the early game. This leads to multiple people dying per household, but a hearse can't pick up multiple people from the same house at once, so you end up with multiple corpses at the same house waiting for transport. Bad traffic does contribute though since it'd slow the hearses down even more.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

drat, roads are becoming the bane of my existence. Am I correct that the general pattern I want to follow is 4 or 6-lane spines feeding into lots of 2 lane grid communities, with as many one-way streets as possible to avoid weirdness like trucks and industrial vehicles pathing through residential roads and getting stuck?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

with as many one-way streets as possible to avoid weirdness like trucks and industrial vehicles pathing through residential roads and getting stuck?

You can just ban industrial traffic from local roads in that area with a district policy.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I eventually ended up segregating all my industrial out of the city proper into segregated collectives hooked up directly to rail and shipping terminals directly via highways; it takes a while for workers to path there but commuter traffic isn't poo poo compared to the fuckups caused by industrial traffic

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay is there a way to disable workshop updates? I am loving sick of buildings vanishing, I want it to work like SC4.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay is there a way to disable workshop updates? I am loving sick of buildings vanishing, I want it to work like SC4.

Nope, welcome to the glorious new age of Steam Workshop

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Traffic experts help. I accidentally made Manhattan, and traffic is a mess with clogs everywhere. How did they solve it?

I tried to load up on buses and trains, but it doesn't matter. Every time I add a new bridge or highway entrance, it just gets worse and adds more clogs elsewhere. Is my best solution to go the LA route and just sprawl out (while removing the high density in the main city)?

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Is there a mod that lets you move landfills without emptying them? Couldn't find anything using obvious searches on the Workshop

Download a recycling center and never plop a landfill. It's just easier then. Fishbus I believe has two good ones.

Fishbus posted:

This is just the ticket. "Some roads" was pretty silly, and "Traffic ++" was too overspergy. This seems juuuuuuust right.

And you can enable/disable each road type as well. Very neat, simple, sensible. Lovely. (although Koesj did just recommend it a few posts back)

I'd still really like a paved road the size of the gravel road for rural places. Where I live, there's unlit roads all over since I'm in a rural area.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bel Monte posted:

Traffic experts help. I accidentally made Manhattan, and traffic is a mess with clogs everywhere. How did they solve it?

I tried to load up on buses and trains, but it doesn't matter. Every time I add a new bridge or highway entrance, it just gets worse and adds more clogs elsewhere. Is my best solution to go the LA route and just sprawl out (while removing the high density in the main city)?

There's no one-size-fits-all solution. That's what's great about this game! Post some screenshots. Big overview and traffic map.

One thing you want to be careful of, though, is cargo. Make sure your industrial areas have straight shots to the city exits and harbours. Run dedicated ground-level trains from your industrial zones to the cargo harbours.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For all the custom content frustration, this game is pretty.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It should be possible to find the downloaded asset files and create a local copy that's disassociated from the workshop (the game will see it as a different asset). Downside, no automatic updates; upside, it won't randomly get broken or deleted or whatever.

I don't know the exact steps for doing this, but I know you did a lot of SC4 modding so you can probably figure it out! Google should be able to help, or maybe someone else in the thread can chime in.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
It's really easy! Opening it up in the asset editor and then saving it again (under a different name, I think) should be enough. I did it a couple of weeks ago with the old Approach Light System because it needed powerlines creeping onto my custom airport :xd:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bel Monte posted:

Post a screenshot with the traffic overlay on? Also try adding subways.

At some point adding more intersections is just going to cause more traffic.

Omi no Kami posted:

drat, roads are becoming the bane of my existence. Am I correct that the general pattern I want to follow is 4 or 6-lane spines feeding into lots of 2 lane grid communities, with as many one-way streets as possible to avoid weirdness like trucks and industrial vehicles pathing through residential roads and getting stuck?

Post a screenshot. In general I think you've got the right idea but you might also have way too many intersections/lights that are too close together on your main roads.

As for the weirdness with trucks and industrial vehicles, zone your residential areas and ban heavy traffic.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Trying to solve traffic by throwing more roads at it only works if you do it intelligently. Treat your roads like tree branches or veins. Connect to the highway with a large main road, then branch off into 4 lane, then branch into 2 lane. Using lots of grids adds intersections, which just make things worse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Trying to solve traffic by throwing more roads at it only works if you do it intelligently. Treat your roads like tree branches or veins. Connect to the highway with a large main road, then branch off into 4 lane, then branch into 2 lane. Using lots of grids adds intersections, which just make things worse.

I see this advice a fair bit but I find that a major problem is people overdoing it and trying to funnel everything through small access points and then single arteries that can't handle an entire city.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That's another good point, you need to know when to stop adding to an existing branch and start a new one. The vehicle AI in this game is notorious for always jamming up exit lanes, so even if there was a 12-lane road you could use, it wouldn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The worst jams are caused by using grids. Never ever grid your city. Just leaf style with a few loops here and there to spread services.
Second, as many highway access points as possible. Always attach roads to highways in a way that doesn't generate traffic lights. Don't use regular roads to bridge over highway, convert it to a small highway overpass then back to regular road on the other side, using exit ramps to join it all up. If you use regular road to bridge then attach exit ramps at a right angle you'll generate traffic lights which is bad.

Also, industry should be disconnected from everything and only connect to the highway, ideally near city boundary.

Offices generate almost no traffic so 2 lane offshoot is OK