Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old Man Logan is nice looking and the story is thin enough that it's readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it's probably my favourite Millar book (in that it's pretty much the only one I find tolerable). It's got a lot of gross dumb poo poo in it, but the core concept is really good, I just adore the idea of post-apocalyptic gangs styling themselves after superheroes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's got a lot of gross dumb poo poo in it, but the core concept is really good

Well, that's Millar for you.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chaos Hippy posted:

Eh, it could go either way. I think Wolverine 3 is being directed by the same guy that did The Wolverine. I wouldn't necessarily call that a good movie, but I don't think I could call it anything worse than mediocre.

On the other hand, The Wolverine also had the train rooftop fight, the Silver Samurai "twist," and Viper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The train roof fight is hilarious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A human person is directing the Flash movie. I've never heard of him nor anything he's done so I have no opinion on this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/seth-grahame-smith-flash-director-829170

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Oh...oh god no.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's kind of disconcerting that these studios are handing off tentpole franchises to rookie directors. It just makes it clear that these are actually being directed by committee by the studio.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
"This guy has never directed a movie before, but he wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!"

Like seriously, could they not find anyone else to direct?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because a directors first film is always terrible, right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Because a directors first film is always terrible, right?

Usually a director's first film isn't going to be marketed or budgeted as a big huge blockbuster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It seems to be happening almost all the time now. You just don't know who this guy is. That gives him room to surprise you. Lack of actual experience doesn't mean lack of talent.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It...kind of does? Talent isn't something you're magically born with, it's cultivated by work and experience. Which isn't to say that choosing a newer director is always some sort of terrible decision in every circumstance, but this is literally not a director. He has no credits to his name.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

Usually a director's first film isn't going to be marketed or budgeted as a big huge blockbuster.

David Fincher had that experience, but it wS also a compete nightmare for everyone involved.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Could another thing be that so much of big action films these days rely on huge computer generated environments? Maybe that makes the traditional lead director role a little different than it used to be to how much stuff they're directly in control of on a set vs. stuff that still gets their seal of approval in development and production, but a lot of the responsibility is delegated to more experienced FX directors and FX companies to give them what they want.

I'm not sure, though. Anyone have any idea how the increased use of computers and CG have changed how much directors are involved with the production of a film?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

David Fincher had that experience, but it wS also a compete nightmare for everyone involved.

Especially the audience.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It seems to be happening almost all the time now. You just don't know who this guy is. That gives him room to surprise you. Lack of actual experience doesn't mean lack of talent.

Directing is a skill. How many really good directors are there in the world? There's more poo poo that goes into it than I could even imagine.

It just seems like a really poor decision to give some guy his first directing gig where he'll be expected to make a huge successful movie with a gigantic budget and also expect him to be able to deal with all of the egos that exist in that world while being pressured by the studio and fans. And fans will be ruthless because there's already a good and beloved version of Flash on TV that a lot of people will think this movie is trying to replace and will always compare the two.

Like, just look at Josh Trank. It was his second film and he couldn't deal with all of the poo poo with his job, and this was after a pretty good directorial debut.

I'm not saying that it means the film is doomed, but it is a really confusing decision and it isn't setting the director up to succeed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Fincher at least had experience with music videos and had been an effects cameraman.

And the directors cut of Alien 3 is a much better movie. It adds back an entire plot line that was cut that makes the movie make more sense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

It...kind of does? Talent isn't something you're magically born with, it's cultivated by work and experience. Which isn't to say that choosing a newer director is always some sort of terrible decision in every circumstance, but this is literally not a director. He has no credits to his name.

People can be born with talent. They just hone it in with experience and practice.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

People can be born with talent. They just hone it in with experience and practice.

What is even the point of arguing something like that?

I can't really comment on the issue because I haven't been keeping track and don't really know the distinction between this and the various other directing choices that have been called weird in the past. (Is there a difference if they were a TV director? Does that count Whedon?)

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 6, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

He could do a good job, he could do a bad one. It's too soon to tell and too many unknowns.

One thing's for sure, that is both one hell of an opportunity, and one hell of a lot of pressure for a first gig.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mycot posted:

What is even the point of arguing something like that?

Because you can be born with some dope rear end skills.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not sure, though. Anyone have any idea how the increased use of computers and CG have changed how much directors are involved with the production of a film?
If anything, increased usage of computers and CGI requires a director to be more savvy and knowledgeable about those things. After all, cartoons, animation, 100% CGI films have directors as well, usually people who have worked with those sorts of projects in the past.

Check out the DVD features of any effects-heavy film (like Lord of the Rings) and you'll notice that, even though computer-generated aspects of a film have art directors and lead animators and so forth, at the end of the day the capital-D Director is still the one who is supervising almost every choice they make and giving them their marching orders. And, speaking as someone who works with computer art, there's nothing more frustrating or hindersome than to have a supervisor who doesn't really know the limits (or capacities) of your tools. "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" writ large. Filmmaking is a group effort, of course, but Ideally? The guy who's in charge of everyone else should know more about your craft than you do; failing that, they need to know enough about your craft be able to communicate their intent in a productive way.

Now, with a big budget production like this, I can see a lot of the broader details being left up to quote-unquote "studio heads" who are ultimately the final say on this franchise anyway, but are those quote-unquote "studio heads" gonna be ones on set every day, dealing with the decisions and minutiae and problems and questions that will inevitably come up during shooting? It'd be a strange way to make a film when that's literally the director's job.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CelticPredator posted:

The honing you speak of generally happens before someone is handed a hundred million dollar budget and told to make a blockbuster. The notion that someone could be so naturally good at something as complex as directing that they can crank out a successful blockbuster on their first try is laughable. Sure, there may be one savant in a million who could pull it off, but there is no reason to assume that any given candidate is going to be that one person. You could just as easily put this guy in the cockpit of a commercial jet with no training and assure the passengers that they shouldn't be concerned, because he might have been born with the ability to operate the complicated controls of a passenger jet.

In short, when the director of a high-budget blockbuster has literally zero directing experience, it is reasonable to assume that it will go poorly at best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, then the movie sucks. And that will be that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Especially after Colin Trevorrow studios are probably ecstatic about the idea of hiring directors who have done jack poo poo to steer their next tentpole movies. I get the sense it's really because they don't want someone who's gonna get pissy about creative vision or the paycheck, and that they can mold into an empty golem that they can get to do whatever they want. So, I assume that even though he has credit, he's not going to be "directing" the movie entirely by himself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone read the script to Lego Batman and gave the guy a directing job. Instead of worrying about The Flash, get excited for Lego Batman :)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Give the DCCU to Josh Trant.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Aphrodite posted:

I assume when they say Old Man Logan what they really mean is some kind of post Apocalypse vaguely-Western where Wolverine is a pacifist through most of it so they make a scene where he flips the gently caress out for like 20 minutes.

The rest probably doesn't matter.

So Unforgiven but with Wolverine. This could be the best or the worst.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Another thing to keep in mind with rookie directors on big tentpole films is that a director is not necessarily all alone steering the ship. They're probably working with an experienced cinematographer that they can rely on to a huge extent, plus they'll probably have a second unit director and they can carry a huge part of the filming load, the second unit might well be filming every part of a huge battle that doesn't involve the hero actors themselves. Ultimately it's the director that's responsible for the production but if they're smart about listening to their more experienced crew, there's no reason they can't succeed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

XO sits bolt upright in bed. Chills prickle him. He doesn't know why.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh god no.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He might not even be the director by the time they start filming.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

She's wasn't very good in FF7 so I'd rather someone else get the role. She looks the part though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

He might not even be the director by the time they start filming.

Who might not? Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure her role in FF7 was substantial enough to rate it either way.

I think other than fighting she just stands around a bit, and walks?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

She's wasn't very good in FF7 so I'd rather someone else get the role.
Agreed, she was a terrible Cloud.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comic book movie franchises are dyin', Cloud.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not sure her role in FF7 was substantial enough to rate it either way.

I think other than fighting she just stands around a bit, and walks?

She has 3-4 lines iirc. Not that's it's a lot of material to work with, and she is new to acting so I could get past it for a Fast n Furious movie. She was just so stiff and not in a way that emphasized her as "the head of security".

Ignite Memories posted:

Who might not? Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige?

The Flash director dude who directed 2 episodes of a show about a big dicked nerd.

redbackground posted:

Agreed, she was a terrible Cloud.

Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be very very dumb for Marvel to have the star of their first solo film of a female superhero be someone who can't act.

• Locked thread