Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know if this is the right thread, but:

I have a 2014 Moto X. I have encryption turned on. I just noticed that if I turn the phone off (or the battery dies... Oops), the phone doesn't ask for a code to unlock. It just boots like normal.

There was a system update not too long ago. I wonder if that screwed something up.

What can I check to get encryption to require a code before the phone boots, like it used to?

Edit: Figured it out. Turns out LastPass, of all things, was preventing it. To allow LastPass to auto fill app passwords, you need to enable it in Acessibility Options. Enabling anything there turns off the ability to ask for a password at startup.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone use one of the sky map apps? After google open sourced it years ago, half the ones I try are just the same app with added ads. Anyone know the best current one?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Does anyone use one of the sky map apps?
No, but Android Police recently ran an article on this, looks pretty decent.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can anyone suggest any good writing apps? Something that tracks written word count/character count would be ideal.

It doesn't need to be like Scrivener, but something with a nice UI that encourages you to write would be ideal.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

deong posted:

Does anyone use one of the sky map apps? After google open sourced it years ago, half the ones I try are just the same app with added ads. Anyone know the best current one?

During the Eclipse, I tried using Google Sky Map and StarTracker, but they were both wildly inaccurate on my 2014 Moto X. I don't know if something is wrong with my phone, or if the technology just isn't there, but I couldn't get either to even face the right direction.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Isn't there a way to calibrate your direction sensor on your phone? Usually by doing figure of 8s while rolling the phone?

SkyMap worked great for me in Hawaii and BC

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The original SkyMap works for me without problems. I guess the sky doesn't change that much. :shrug:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Grim Up North posted:

The original SkyMap works for me without problems. I guess the sky doesn't change that much. :shrug:

But its ugly :'(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

During the Eclipse, I tried using Google Sky Map and StarTracker, but they were both wildly inaccurate on my 2014 Moto X. I don't know if something is wrong with my phone, or if the technology just isn't there, but I couldn't get either to even face the right direction.
I have never owned a phone with a compass that pointed in the right direction and no amount of "calibrating" (waving it around) has ever made any difference. I have thus concluded that phones compasses are all garbage and don't understand why there isn't a manual calibrator buried in the OS settings somewhere but there we go.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Tunga posted:

I have never owned a phone with a compass that pointed in the right direction and no amount of "calibrating" (waving it around) has ever made any difference. I have thus concluded that phones compasses are all garbage and don't understand why there isn't a manual calibrator buried in the OS settings somewhere but there we go.

:agreed:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Tunga posted:

Yeah, same. Occasionally it works or corrects itself, but it's usually about 90 degrees off.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
If anyone is annoyed with Chrome & Firefox and looking for an alternative browser, try Lightning.

It's based on the Chromium system browser, but is open source, integrates ad blocking (pro version), has a slick tab interface in the sidebar, and seems fast and sane.

Now my default.

Now to get them to add sync to Firefox and its perfect.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Before I throw down the money on Cerberus since my license expired or whatever just wanted to check if there is a better alternative ?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sendo posted:

Before I throw down the money on Cerberus since my license expired or whatever just wanted to check if there is a better alternative ?

What features are you looking for from it?

Odds are you'll end up using Android Device Manager anyway, but I'm curious.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Is there like an online grocery-list that works for both android and iPhone. My wife and I are always forgetting to pick poo poo up at the grocery, and I figured I might look for something like this. Remember the Milk might work, I'd have to mess around with it. But I wanted to see what my options are.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

bollig posted:

Is there like an online grocery-list that works for both android and iPhone. My wife and I are always forgetting to pick poo poo up at the grocery, and I figured I might look for something like this. Remember the Milk might work, I'd have to mess around with it. But I wanted to see what my options are.

Our Groceries

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

word thanks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is such a great app.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What features are you looking for from it?

Odds are you'll end up using Android Device Manager anyway, but I'm curious.

Totally forgot this was even an option, this is all I need. Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

For what it's worth, this stopped synching between my wife's iPhone and my Android. No idea why, nothing I could do to get it working again. We just use the Kroger app now.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

bollig posted:

I use Wunderlist for this, as we have lists for other stuff besides groceries. Has a nice web-app as well if you sit in front of a PC often.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS

Is there anything different about this than using shared lists with Keep?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Treemeister posted:

Keep doesn't have an iOS version for some stupid reason.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

wooger posted:

If anyone is annoyed with Chrome & Firefox and looking for an alternative browser, try Lightning.

It's based on the Chromium system browser, but is open source, integrates ad blocking (pro version), has a slick tab interface in the sidebar, and seems fast and sane.

Now my default.

Now to get them to add sync to Firefox and its perfect.

Is it this (I'm assuming so): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=acr.browser.barebones&hl=en / https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=acr.browser.lightning&hl=en (pro)?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
There is as of a couple weeks ago. Google Keep - Your thoughts, wherever you are by Google, Inc.
https://appsto.re/hk/aDhw9.i

Is there an app that plays audio only for video files?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Treemeister posted:

Item categories? I have all of my common grocery items categorized by aisle so the entire list will be in order from the back of the store to the front.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Is there an audio player which will let me stream an audio file to Android & PC, and sync playback location between the two devices? Sometimes I like to listen to podcasts on my PC, and sometimes I like to listen to podcasts on my phone, and its annoying as poo poo when I want to switch mid pod-cast. The audible player does this nearly flawlessly for audio books, and I'd like to be able to do the same with podcasts.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

That's it, thanks. Confusing icon, but otherwise great.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Is there an audio player which will let me stream an audio file to Android & PC, and sync playback location between the two devices? Sometimes I like to listen to podcasts on my PC, and sometimes I like to listen to podcasts on my phone, and its annoying as poo poo when I want to switch mid pod-cast. The audible player does this nearly flawlessly for audio books, and I'd like to be able to do the same with podcasts.

I do this for podcasts with Pocket Casts. I believe the web sync is a paid feature, but it works pretty well for me.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Item categories? I have all of my common grocery items categorized by aisle so the entire list will be in order from the back of the store to the front.

Whatever nerd.

(That's a good idea)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

beerinator posted:

I do this for podcasts with Pocket Casts. I believe the web sync is a paid feature, but it works pretty well for me.

I had no idea they had a web client. I started the trial but 9$ is very reasonable considering how often I listen with pocket casts on my phone. Immediately having a synced list of all my unlistened podcasts is marvelous.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's exactly the strategy I use.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

beerinator posted:

This looks like exactly what I wanted, thanks!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, same. Occasionally it works or corrects itself, but it's usually about 90 degrees off.

Interesting, I've noticed the same thing with my phone and just figured I just got a bad compass. So there's no solution for this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

Interesting, I've noticed the same thing with my phone and just figured I just got a bad compass. So there's no solution for this?

I haven't tried it yet since I just found it, but Google has calibration directions here.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I haven't tried it yet since I just found it, but Google has calibration directions here.

Spin your phone round and round until it happens to be pointing in the right direction. Repeat until it is correct.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, that's basically it.

It CAN work. I just did it recently with my phone. It was about 120 degrees off and I did some mystical phone movements and now it's dead on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The waving-it-around thing has never made any difference for me. Sometimes the amount that is is wrong by changes a bit, but I've never had an accurate compass on any phone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I've had it with Youtube. I need an alternative to the stock Youtube app that has a hard switch that uses one resolution that I define on mobile, and a different one or automatically adjusting on wifi, so I don't loving go over on my data again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
The compass on my N6 needs calibration almost every time I use it, on the other hand calibration works every time. :shrug:

• Locked thread