Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wooger posted:

There's a method that works for the M preview 3, but it involves flashing a modified kernel. Haven't tried on the release version yet, but I'd check XDA as I doubt the same kernel works right.

I need to do this later today to run Titanium :sigh:

The DP3 kernel I linked to in the rooted thread works fine.

wooger posted:

I'm now on Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, and I can confirm:

A
The "swipe up from home" shortcut gesture is completely absent, along with all associated configurability - Other apps could be set to default for that action, e.g. Firefox search, DuckDuckGo search.

The long press alternative seems a massive step backwards, and I hate the Google search app as it doesn't focus the search box and bring up the keyboard when triggered.

This may be a way of punishing people who don't use Google Now.

Why would one not use Google Now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I find it annoying and intrusive. It's really bad at guessing what I want to know, and there is no way to pin exact searches or entries. Or that was the case when I tried it last, a year or so ago

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Why would one not use Google Now?

While I agree with you, the truth is Google Now users are a minority. Most Android users don't even know it exists.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Desk Lamp posted:

While I agree with you, the truth is Google Now users are a minority. Most Android users don't even know it exists.

Is there any data to actually back this up? Or is it all just anecdotal "my mom never uses it"?

It's not that I don't believe it to be true, but I literally open it like 3 times a day on accident.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

Interesting. I'd like to read the statistics where you got this.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Whats the word on the new nexus phones, are there reviews out yet or are we all waiting till they ship?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

All we have so far is DXOMarks analysis of the 6Ps camera.

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Google-Nexus-6P-review-Serious-contender-for-mobile-photography

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Whats the word on the new nexus phones, are there reviews out yet or are we all waiting till they ship?

I've been watching. I've only seen "hands on" write ups. I think most people who have touched them and can write about it, have only seen them briefly from after the event last week.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are press copies being sent out for review?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

wooger posted:

I'm now on Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, and I can confirm:

A
The "swipe up from home" shortcut gesture is completely absent, along with all associated configurability - Other apps could be set to default for that action, e.g. Firefox search, DuckDuckGo search.

The long press alternative seems a massive step backwards, and I hate the Google search app as it doesn't focus the search box and bring up the keyboard when triggered.

This may be a way of punishing people who don't use Google Now.

I suppose if you are just doing a normal search it's now marginally faster to go to the search bar by pressing the overview button rather than long press home.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Searching on Android has always irritated me in different ways.

The canonical irritant is the search widget. It looks like a text entry box. It behaves nothing like one.

I still, after half a decade of use, sometimes find myself long-pressing the search widget to paste something in but getting the move/resize widget popup instead.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

The canonical irritant is the search widget. It looks like a text entry box. It behaves nothing like one.
You tap on it, the keyboard appears, you get a cursor in the box, and you can type into it. Other than having to tap on it once before you can long-press-to-paste, it behaves exactly like a text box, no?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Updated my Nexus 6 to Marshmallow last night. Seems a little bit smoother. Now On Tap hasn't given me an epiphany experience yet though.

The app backups I'm seeing are mostly Google apps right now, and most of the non-Google ones are telling me the last backups were more than a month ago (I ran 6.0 preview 1 for a few weeks). This is viewing them through Google Drive's settings.

Anecdotes: Battery life seems tremendous this far. My desk at work is a really bad dead zone for signal and my battery would drain quite fast, but I'm actually getting signal today (could be coincidence of course). The phone also isn't warm when I pick it up after leaving it sit there playing podcasts.

B++, would probably update again.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I just realized I've never searched with the Google now thing. I'm always switching to an open chrome tab and reused it.

I should probably look into how it works

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Searching on Android has always irritated me in different ways.

I still, after half a decade of use, sometimes find myself long-pressing the search widget to paste something in but getting the move/resize widget popup instead.

If you're getting a move or resize on the search box, doesn't that mean you're using a custom launcher?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I side loaded marshmallow on my nexus 7 (2013) and its noticeably faster than before. I didn't bother to wipe, and I fell asleep while it was optimizing so I didn't manage to put it on a charger. So far the battery life seems better, but I won't really know for a few days of real use. But it definitely feels snappier. Things are opening quicker etc. Not really noticing any of the differences other than the now on tap. I never use the press/hold home, I'm using the default launcher so just swipe over to NOW. We'll see if it becomes useful while I'm in apps. I primarily use the tablet for web, so I'm either in Awful or chrome. We'll see if the on tap gets much use.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I loaded Mashmallow on my 2013 N7 last night (clean wipe) and it does this weird thing where it won't update/install apps while the screen is off. I left to see the Martian when it started restoring apps, and when I got home and it was as if nothing happened while I was gone - it was still on the second app when i woke it up. This continued throughout the night, regardless if it was plugged in or on battery. As soon as the display goes to sleep, it stops. Anyone else getting that? It doesn't do that at all on my N5.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

You tap on it, the keyboard appears, you get a cursor in the box, and you can type into it. Other than having to tap on it once before you can long-press-to-paste, it behaves exactly like a text box, no?

Well, yes, if you exclude the part I'm complaining about, there's nothing to complain about.

Skarsnik posted:

If you're getting a move or resize on the search box, doesn't that mean you're using a custom launcher?

Yeah, but it doesn't work on the stock google launcher either.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Using the Google now launcher you can long press it and it goes directly to the paste dialog

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skarsnik posted:

Using the Google now launcher you can long press it and it goes directly to the paste dialog

Yeah this. Just tried it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

the nicker posted:

I loaded Mashmallow on my 2013 N7 last night (clean wipe) and it does this weird thing where it won't update/install apps while the screen is off. I left to see the Martian when it started restoring apps, and when I got home and it was as if nothing happened while I was gone - it was still on the second app when i woke it up. This continued throughout the night, regardless if it was plugged in or on battery. As soon as the display goes to sleep, it stops. Anyone else getting that? It doesn't do that at all on my N5.

I didn't wipe, but I've had a few apps update today and I installed one from the web fine.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It does actually, at least on Marshmallow. What are you complaining about, again?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

the nicker posted:

Yeah, I had this problem too. I had to set it to make the screen stay on for 30 minutes just so it would keep installing/updating from the Restore. I didn't have this problem on my Nexus 6 though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Updated my Nexus 6 from the M preview to Marshmallow (via adb), now about half of my apps are constantly crashing. Clearly I went and hosed something up :saddowns:

If I have to, I don't mind wiping the phone and starting fresh; what's the best way to do that?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Updated my Nexus 6 from the M preview to Marshmallow (via adb), now about half of my apps are constantly crashing. Clearly I went and hosed something up :saddowns:

If I have to, I don't mind wiping the phone and starting fresh; what's the best way to do that?

Settings->Backup & Reset->Factory Data Reset

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

My Moto X doesn't come with the Google Now launcher. It comes with Launcher. I don't even have the Google Now launcher installed.

this_is_hard posted:

It does actually, at least on Marshmallow. What are you complaining about, again?

I guess that it took years for them to make a widget that looks like a text box to act like a text box.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

My Moto X doesn't come with the Google Now launcher. It comes with Launcher. I don't even have the Google Now launcher installed.

I guess that it took years for them to make a widget that looks like a text box to act like a text box.

My Moto X with Google Now launcher allows me to long press to paste, no Marshmallow necessary. Give it a try if it bugs you enough :) I don't even know what is different about Moto's launcher.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So 6.0 changed Interruptions to Do Not Disturb, which is fine. I'd been using Interruptions to silence my phone during work hours automatically.

The problem with 6.0 is that in Priority or Total Silence mode, it mutes media as well, even with headphones on, so I can't even listen to a podcast while I work.

However, media playback works fine if it's Bluetooth or Chromecast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

My Moto X with Google Now launcher allows me to long press to paste, no Marshmallow necessary. Give it a try if it bugs you enough :) I don't even know what is different about Moto's launcher.

On the older phones, it's not really Moto's launcher, it's just launcher from AOSP. The current X comes with the Now launcher by default.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I just switched back to the default moto launcher briefly

Yikes

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Mr Newsman posted:

Is there any data to actually back this up? Or is it all just anecdotal "my mom never uses it"?

It's not that I don't believe it to be true, but I literally open it like 3 times a day on accident.

Thermopyle posted:

Interesting. I'd like to read the statistics where you got this.

Oh it's entirely anecdotal, but I'm willing to bet a study would reveal the same results. I've activated Google Now on a few people's phones and tried to sell them on the benefits, but for the most part people either use Chrome to Google things, or when they actually do use the Google app quickly hit "No Thanks" so they can start searching, without even noticing what it is they're declining usually. It's a shame really, since Google Now requires virtually no input beyond accepting the terms to work its magic.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I know one reason I want a true silent mode - I have a smartwatch (Garmin Vivoactive) and it vibrates for notifications. I have no way of having ONLY the watch vibrate. So for almost a year now I've had my phone buzz immediately followed by my wrist buzzing. It's Pavlovian in a way...

No notifications doesn't work in this scenario because they don't get pushed to the watch. Will Marshmallow fix this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OTAs are up if anyone cares (some of the N6 ones aren't but too bad)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/06/flash-all-the-things-android-6-0-marshmallow-nexus-ota-roundup/

Keyboard swiping is way more responsive, nice! Now on Tap is kinda fun for the analysing screen beep boop stuff

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone got a recommendation for which screen protector to pair with a 6P?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

Oh it's entirely anecdotal, but I'm willing to bet a study would reveal the same results. I've activated Google Now on a few people's phones and tried to sell them on the benefits, but for the most part people either use Chrome to Google things, or when they actually do use the Google app quickly hit "No Thanks" so they can start searching, without even noticing what it is they're declining usually. It's a shame really, since Google Now requires virtually no input beyond accepting the terms to work its magic.

All my non-tech-literate family uses Now (they should really be using iPhones, but whatever).

Of course, I realize that means nothing about widespread adoption of Now, so I'm willing to bet almost nothing on it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Radbot posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for which screen protector to pair with a 6P?

Nobody has a phone in hand to try one yet...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing around with the iPhone 6S+ and haven't been really impressed. It's just an iPhone... but bigger. When I started out with the iPhone plan, it was because Android wasn't getting games and apps nearly as fast as iOS devices. These days I don't play any games on my phone, and it seems the days of iOS exclusive apps aren't gone, but nearly there. When's the last time you guys were frustrated over Android not getting an app or having a delay?

I've decided on a Nexus 6P, but unfortunately ProjectFi says it's going to take as long to set up as the Nexus 6P takes to release.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I've decided on a Nexus 6P, but unfortunately ProjectFi says it's going to take as long to set up as the Nexus 6P takes to release.

What? They don't plan to support it until December?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Super Dude posted:

Nobody has a phone in hand to try one yet...

Right, maybe there's a brand that's known to be good and is producing a model for the 6P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
A few people I've asked about Google Now are paranoid about being tracked by Google and the Government. That doesn't mean they don't use Chrome and Google search or opt out of Google's location services. Or use a vpn for that matter, now that Australia has metadata retention laws.

If Google is going to have all of my personal data they may as feed it to something that I get to use too, like Now.