Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Raising the prices of the Blitzer kinda makes all those teams invalid, that's the problem. If you don't want to start with Goblins in the team (which I'm not brave enough to do), you have to either sacrifice a reroll or a blitzer, and wait 3-4 matches until you have what you could get after only one match in the previous version (4 Blitzers, 3 RRs and an apothecary).

It's not catastrophic but it is annoying. It also makes the Orc team less newbie friendly with one less block piece on the board, and causes TV bloat and bad rolls by having you get an extra lineorc instead of playing with no bench, like Nuffle intended.

For what is worth, I agree that a third reroll is better than an extra block piece in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
In my 1700TV match yesterday as Chaos vs Chaos I pretty much dominated the whole match, and won 2-0.
However even though I certainly did more blocks than my opponent I only caused 2 injuries to his 5.
And to make matters worse in turn 16 he outright killed my lvl 4 ball carrier, who -obviously- got MVP.

Curse you Nuffle!

A 5 Strength Chaos Warrior is REALLY strong though. I was planning on giving him tentacles, but Frenzy is also starting to sound very interesting.
I am now starting to lose Beastmen to injuries (and Deaths) at 1700+ TV, And it is starting to hurt my progression. My 3 LoS dudes are my 3 Blodge Chaos Warriors. Should I rather put expendable Beastmen on the line?

I also think I need more Guard in my team.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Raising the prices of the Blitzer kinda makes all those teams invalid, that's the problem. If you don't want to start with Goblins in the team (which I'm not brave enough to do), you have to either sacrifice a reroll or a blitzer, and wait 3-4 matches until you have what you could get after only one match in the previous version (4 Blitzers, 3 RRs and an apothecary).

It's not catastrophic but it is annoying. It also makes the Orc team less newbie friendly with one less block piece on the board, and causes TV bloat and bad rolls by having you get an extra lineorc instead of playing with no bench, like Nuffle intended.

For what is worth, I agree that a third reroll is better than an extra block piece in this case.

I find it funny you think less orc players in this world is a bad thing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I like Orcs. :(

They are bashy and I've done some stupid passing plays I had no business doing with them.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 6, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Evernoob posted:

In my 1700TV match yesterday as Chaos vs Chaos I pretty much dominated the whole match, and won 2-0.
However even though I certainly did more blocks than my opponent I only caused 2 injuries to his 5.
And to make matters worse in turn 16 he outright killed my lvl 4 ball carrier, who -obviously- got MVP.

Curse you Nuffle!

A 5 Strength Chaos Warrior is REALLY strong though. I was planning on giving him tentacles, but Frenzy is also starting to sound very interesting.
I am now starting to lose Beastmen to injuries (and Deaths) at 1700+ TV, And it is starting to hurt my progression. My 3 LoS dudes are my 3 Blodge Chaos Warriors. Should I rather put expendable Beastmen on the line?

I also think I need more Guard in my team.

You have entered the twilight years of your team where attrition meets advancement and your team value won't be going up anywhere near as fast as it did before. And yes you should be putting your 3 shittiest beastmen on the line, you really don't want to be losing your chaos warriors. Frequently high TV chaos on chaos games are won by getting the coinflip and the man advantage from the first set of 4 blocks, you don't want to be losing really important players in addition to the man advantage.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Fat Samurai posted:

So, the options are:

a) 3 Blitzers, 4 Black Orcs, 1 Runner, 3 Linemen, 3RR for 990k.
b) 4 Blitzers, 4 Black Orcs, 1 Runner, 2 Linemen, 2RR for 970k.

It costs around 150k to buy an apothecary and either a Blitzer or a RR. I think the best plan is leaving the Blitzer for last, then fire any poor lineorc that has been injured. I don't feel comfortable playing with 2 RR with orcs.

There are no runners on an orc team.

Also not starting with a troll? Ew.

I started with 1 troll, 4 black orcs, 4 blitzers, 1 lineman, 1 gob, and 2 RR. For i think 990k or 100k.

Yeah the first game fielding a goblin kind of sucks, but it's one game at the start and then you can buy a lineman to replace him, or a thrower if you do well on winnings.

In any case, I can't understand either of your starts because you're missing the troll in both, and a blitzer in the one of them. I guess the cost is being eaten up by a thrower, which you really don't need early on. Or arguably ever. I'd have to go check the money, but I think you could get 4Bobs, 4 blitzers, and 3 linemen with 3RRs. That sounds like a better start if you really hate the troll.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Can't the troll throw the goblin? That's your thrower right there.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

dogstile posted:

Can't the troll throw the goblin? That's your thrower right there.

Yup. And that is really the only reason to have a goblin on the roster. The fabled Orc One Turn Throw Teammate Touchdown.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It also makes sideline cages less attractive to the other guy.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Mr. Squishy posted:

It also makes sideline cages less attractive to the other guy.

The mythical Orc -2db crowd surfing of the ball carrier?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I meant Thrower. Who shall never throw and always run with the ball if everything goes as planned. Brainfarts aside, the Runner Thrower is there for Sure Hands. Otherwise you have a fairly high chance of using a reroll on your first turn.

Also, stop trolling Steam threads, guys:

some guy on Steam posted:

Iīm an experienced high elo video games player. I didnīt known anything about the existance of the Blood Bowl saga until Blood Bowl 2 release, i bought it and iīve played 250 hrs until now, i think itīs fantatic, but there is a couple of rules that makes me think about stop playing this game anymore.

1) Most of the video games players freaks, we are completionist, what means that we love to pick a race, design a build (wich players and wich skills this players have), and then, when we have completed our designed team (because weīve reached the max xp, or Team Value in this case), itīs like we have finished the tutorial playing normal games, and we can start playing RANKED, vs another full team builds, designed by other people, whatever their builds contains. If we are not satisfied with our build or race, we start another PJ (team in this case), but all we have done with our first choice is unaltered, it means, no permanent injuries, no dead, no aging. This team will be always avaible for palying. I want to have avaible 3 or 4 teams, full equiped, avaible for playing depending on what i want to do this day.

2) The objective of the game balance will be exclusively the high end scenario, it means , where all teams have reached the maximum team value and theyīre playing ranked mode. The ranked mode will show us exactly if we are on the X% top of the world or server players, and will offer end season rewards based on this elo, that could be divided into leagues (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond master), and will award a logo or visual upgrade in players or something like that. I donīt mind if iīve got a 16/4 in the Peterīs league, i want to know if i am on the 2% worldīs top coaches and I want a visual upgrade which show this state.

3) Balancing system will provide us a win rate for all races (in a ranked scenario, where all teams have reached the max team value, i.e. 3000) between 45% and 55%, where 45% is for the High Risk High Rewards team, which are so difficult to master, but can outplay anyone, and 55% will be easy to play races, wich have more success in low elo scenarios ( low elo means noobs with full complete teams but low MMR, no teams with low team value, this teams needs to farm until theyīve got the max level).

4) If youīre at the max level, and you dont like the build of somo of your players, you can fire and replace them, but you are not allowed to play ranked mode until this players gets a full developed build, so go back to normals. You can play normals at max level too if you want only testing.

A days ago, iīve almost completed my first dsigned team. I started a team when i was a completely noob, i failed piking my skills , learned from this mistakes, checked forums etc and designed the team i wanted to play. I started firing each player who didnīt get a double roll on lvl 2, they were all about lvl 6, i managed my apothecaries very well and i had a near full team of 1 or 2 x double rolls, lvl 6 without injuries, at this momment, i was thinking about wich race i will master next, before i start competing in ranked... but in a single game, one of my players dead, i used apothecary an as resuslt he was DEAD (thats fkn bllsht). In the same game other player got a permanent injury, and Cyanide stole my work, and prevent me for choosing a new race because i couldnīt complete my first team, so now i have no intention on working on my next team neither in the original one, cause after 250 farming hours my perfect team has collapsed, and i hate the game, and iīm not gonna play today, and my friends are not gonna seeing my playing, and i will not tell any of my friends to buy this game (as iīve done until yesterday), and this game will be always for the classic freaks of Warhammer, not for anyone else.

Iīve decided to invest my time in this review, becuase i really think this game could be a top world game, competing with Hearthstone in turn based games, itīs even better. Graphics, lore, playsystem, everithing is great, this game is awesome, but rules for the video game are the same that for tabletop, and itīs not the same. Tabletop tournaments lasts a weekend with your friends. Blood Bowl 2 is a competitive vido game, and itīs another world than classic tabletop game. If you want your saga to succeed, even reaching a top 5 status in Twitch Tv most popular games, what means that many many people is playing it.

Thanks for your attention, sorry for my poor english i know itīs not perfect but iīm sure you understand what iīm saying, and for sure there is some people who thinks like me

Best regards.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
That cant be serious. I kind of hope it is... just so there is some sperg throwing a 'i wont play again and my friends wont see me play, and I'll tell them not to play your game' temper tantrum.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jade Star posted:

The mythical Orc -2db crowd surfing of the ball carrier?

-2db offers only a pow, push or stumbles 4 times out of 9. If it's early days and the ball carrier's not got block yet, that's 25/36 chance of them losing the ball. It's not something you bet your shirt on but it's hardly vanishingly small odds.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

I meant Thrower. Who shall never throw and always run with the ball if everything goes as planned. Brainfarts aside, the Runner Thrower is there for Sure Hands. Otherwise you have a fairly high chance of using a reroll on your first turn.

Also, stop trolling Steam threads, guys:
want to face this guy so that cyanide can kill even more of his dudes

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Only major bug in BB2 I've noticed is that interceptions don't reward spp. I call it major because my line elf intercepted a ball in two tackle zones and he should be rewarded for that dammit. :colbert:

Also been playing high elves in NAF and Goddamn do I love that team. I do love the gimmicky players of dark elves but high elves are just so well rounded and their stupid hats are the best.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Jade Star posted:

some sperg throwing a 'i wont play again and my friends wont see me play, and I'll tell them not to play your game' temper tantrum.

On that note, a reminder for everyone: Y'all are welcome in #tgbloodbowl. Goons are looking for BB2 matches in here and getting a lot of silence or sperg grumbling for their trouble.

Even if you're content to spin NAF, the channel has a helpful bot for looking up skill descriptions on the fly. Just type !shadowing, !juggernaut, !stunty, etc

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tekopo posted:

want to face this guy so that cyanide can kill even more of his dudes

I want to t16 foul him.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

dogstile posted:

I want to t16 foul him.

This very much.

I do agree that if they want a real "competitive scene" for this game they would have to allow you to create a custom made team with each skill you give to your players representing a fixed TV increase, and have a defined TV cap for each match.

But do people really want that? It appears that he only enjoys playing his team when every player has 5+ skills and is fully templated. On the contrary I find the games much more interesting in the 1700 range where some of the players have gotten 2-3 skills, with maybe one star with 4 skills and other player lacking behind with only one skill. Then you actually have to make choices, and can work against the weaknesses of your opponent.

If every player has Block/Dodge/Guard and 2 dedicated skills, the game actually becomes LESS about Coach skill and MORE about pure dice luck of getting POW's.
With unfinished teams you can seek to exploit the weaknesses in the enemy roster like targetting their "untanked" players first.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's true, we need more players for BB2 Goonleague. Shoot Brassherald or myself a PM and we'll add your team.

Also, few things are funnier than surfing a 3 star Minotaur (for an injury) with a beastman in revenge for his fellow goatdude. Managed to beat a 1400 chaos team with my 1020 chaos 2-0. Poor bastard had no idea how to properly play the ball.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Can you use piling on after wrestle?

If yes, can you also use it during the opponent's turn if he both downs your wrestler?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My beastmen are really starting to die/get badly injured a lot. I think my skills (both player and coaching) are not yet sufficient to play at 1800+ with this first team.

Is it considered bad sport to fire your skilled up beastmen to reduce your TV to the 1400 range while keeping my strong Chaos Warriors and Minotaur?
Cash is becoming an issue and playing with Loners sucks rear end. (I actually wasted a reroll not realizing I GFI'd with a loner)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Donnerberg posted:

If yes, can you also use it during the opponent's turn if he both downs your wrestler?

No? Wrestle doesn't cause an armor roll.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

No, I'm fairly sure your player can not be prone to use PO.

Better question would be if when an opponent skulls, if you can PO in response. I think the answer is no though as PO says you have to down a player after blocking him.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Rygar201 posted:

No? Wrestle doesn't cause an armor roll.

Okay, thanks. You saved me from messing up a player more than normal.

I thought I'd seen wrestle into piling on in Cyanid's BB1, but it's been a while since I played it.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Evernoob posted:

This very much.

I do agree that if they want a real "competitive scene" for this game they would have to allow you to create a custom made team with each skill you give to your players representing a fixed TV increase, and have a defined TV cap for each match.

But do people really want that?

This is basically how the IRL NAF tournament rules are set up. You get to put whatever skills on whatever players with a few limitations and under a certain TV, usually allowing higher TV and more skills as you progress. All players also regen between games. It should be no surprise that Amazons win a lot.

Also to the guy asking, piling on does not work with wrestle. Wrestle explicitly states there is no armour roll, so nothing to reroll.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Evernoob posted:

My beastmen are really starting to die/get badly injured a lot. I think my skills (both player and coaching) are not yet sufficient to play at 1800+ with this first team.

Is it considered bad sport to fire your skilled up beastmen to reduce your TV to the 1400 range while keeping my strong Chaos Warriors and Minotaur?
Cash is becoming an issue and playing with Loners sucks rear end. (I actually wasted a reroll not realizing I GFI'd with a loner)

Not at all, that's actually how I play my Bret team. Fire any peasant who actually levels up, because they're only there as fodder anyway.

Aside from the kick/kick off return/dirty player guys. But that's three peasants with one skill and a couple of injurys anyway, so they don't add to my TV.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 6, 2015

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

dogstile posted:

I want to t16 foul him.

Me too.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
How do you play your LoS linemen when playing elves or similar against a very bashy team, when you pretty much only get -2db?
Ignore the LoS (just stand up when possible) and divert away the action as much as possible from that horrible place?

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
So listen

If someone wanted to start playing bb2 where would you start? Jump in and get slaughtered? Are there any decent starting guides floating around?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Evernoob posted:

How do you play your LoS linemen when playing elves or similar against a very bashy team, when you pretty much only get -2db?
Ignore the LoS (just stand up when possible) and divert away the action as much as possible from that horrible place?

Throw on a few sacrifices and hope they don't get chewed up to bad.

Mr.Boofu posted:

So listen

If someone wanted to start playing bb2 where would you start? Jump in and get slaughtered? Are there any decent starting guides floating around?

Honestly i'd just jump right in after reading the following:

1. If you gently caress up an action and a player falls over/drops the ball, its the other persons turn
2. Do the least dangerous actions first. Stand players up before throwing blocks, etc.
3. You get to use a reroll once per turn (not counting skills that auto reroll) no matter how many you have
4. Punch people very hard in the face, don't click on skulls thinking it'll hurt them like I did the first time I played BB.

Have fun.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Mr.Boofu posted:

So listen

That's what I did day 1 of release when most opponents were BB veterans., and look how well I ended up.. *cough*

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I feel really bad for new coaches who play skaven. I just played a game with my chaos team that had all of 1 beastman with block against a skaven team that had blodge on every gutter runner and guard on a blitzer. He proceeded to pick up the ball with a loner and try 2 33% dodges in a row, then never stand his players up and let me score twice in the first half. Then he conceded. It was painful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mr.Boofu posted:

So listen

You should start by either reading the 6th edition rules (search for Living Rulebook Bloodbowl) or watching this video by cKnoor. Once you know the rules, this has good general tips, starting roster examples, etc. Jump into the IRC channel and ask questions, there should be people around.

VVVVVV

:smug:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 6, 2015

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
e: ^^^ :argh:

Mr.Boofu posted:

So listen

While it was for Blood Bowl 1, cKnoor's LP is a fantastic way to dive right into the deep end with it.

If you want to just play, though, I would start with either Orcs or Dark Elves and get a feel for the game. Dogstile posted some great rules of thumb as well. Think about your assists and how you can successfully get as many 2 dice blocks as possible, learn risk management, and don't get upset when your star player trips and breaks their neck on a going for it.

Also does anyone have any :words: on Brets? They seem like a weird team but I want to give them a try.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Evernoob posted:

When no lineman have skills, just put the ones with less spp on that line. Dodge them one square back on the end of your turn.

First lineman that gets a skill is the lucky one, he gets kick.

Next tree get wrestle and are now there to see if you are lucky enough on the enemy first turn to get someone down and open a hole. I would still dodge them back at the end of the turn though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why are things like pro no longer an option

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why are things like pro no longer an option

It is.

But it has never been a min-max option for the serious player in anything but niche circumstances. You can take it if you want, of course.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 6, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Anything is an option, one day I really want to get lucky enough to get a +1 agi pass block catch krox. Its just realistically i'm going for the skills i'll use every turn, rather than every few turns.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i once made a pro elf team where everyone's first skill was pro, no exceptions

i called it the proelffessionals

as you can probably guess, most of my turns ended with someone flat on their rear end, with "PRO" hanging over their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Velocity Raptor posted:

*Good Skaven Advice*
As someone who is currently running a skaven team in Goonbowl, let me explain that even in a tourney setting where you just don't get to face many murder teams, skaven will die. I think I've already gone through 3 linerats in a 6 games I've palyed so far. The only players capable of taking punches are the stormvermin and the rogre. And you probably don't want the stormvermin taking punches because your claw/mighty blow/tackle SV want to be blitzing holes open for your gunners to take advantage of.

The key with both elf and skaven teams is to basically just force the other player to roll a bunch of dice. You do your 2db when you can, and dodge when you can't. The second the ball hits the ground, you grab that ball and if you have played correctly, you have a player in position to run all the way to the other side of the field where he can't touch you. This is the quintessential skaven bullshit play. Also, I highly recommend starting with a rogre. Yes, he'll fail a bunch of rolls. But he has wild animal and prehensile tail, so players have to really think before they try to dodge away. And he is the only natural source of St 5 on the team. WIth St 2 gunner, you're going to need all the help you can get.

• Locked thread