Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there already a Vudu app?

So far, the article only mentions the current AppleTV which doesn't support an App Store nor has an approved Amazon app.

I can't believe that Amazon would seriously cut themselves out of vector for customers just to sell more of their own hardware. They've got Kindle and Instant Video apps for iOS afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Maybe Apple rejected it.

lol nope. The article says that they're dropping Chromecasts too. It's a whiny pisspants dickwaving move from Amazon.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

quote:

Dear Seller,

Over the last three years, Prime Video has become an important part of Prime. It’s important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion. Therefore, Amazon has implemented listing restrictions for the followings products:

o Apple TV

o Chromecast

o Nexus Player

Effective immediately, you may no longer create new listings for these products, and as of 10/29/15, any existing listings for these products will be removed. There will be no adverse impact on your seller account for the removal, but we request that you refrain from relisting removed products.

Roku, XBOX, and PlayStation all interact well with Prime Video and are not affected by this change.

Thank you for selling on Amazon.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Thwomp posted:

Wasn't there already a Vudu app?

So far, the article only mentions the current AppleTV which doesn't support an App Store nor has an approved Amazon app.

I can't believe that Amazon would seriously cut themselves out of vector for customers just to sell more of their own hardware. They've got Kindle and Instant Video apps for iOS afterall.

There's no Vudu app yet. YouTube is the only competing service on Apple TV, and it doesn't let you view the store or buy stuff, just playback your purchases.

This seems like Amazon being jerks, though. They recently said they were finally going to make Prime available on Android so I'm surprised if they're going back the other direction.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amazon's sticking point with Apple [and Google play] is that if you want to sell anything on those platforms you have to give the platform holder 30%. That's why the Kindle and Amazon Instant Video apps on iOS will list your library but you can't buy anything. That said I'm pretty sure that % can be negotiated around [I don't see HBO being OK with that] but Amazon would rather burn the bridge.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HBO actually is okay with it. Apple and Google are getting part of those subscription fees. Part of it is because HBO has no system for taking money on their own, they've always worked through other companies. Their HBO Now system is just a continuation of that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this

I didn't word it very well at all.

A month ago, before the Apple September event, Amazon could've claimed that they weren't going to continue selling Apple TVs because their content wasn't available on aTV. It still would've been disingenuous, as Amazon is the one actively avoiding making their content available there (and they're the ones keeping their content from Chromecast as well), but more believable. Trying to pretend the two don't exist is doing Amazon and their Prime Instant Video service no help, and attempting to live in this pretend monopoly where they have no competition will only do them harm; especially as every estimation I've seen says other than fire sticks Amazon operates at a loss on their hardware.

iTunes being a garbage program, I believe, is a result of Apple acting the same way--the difference being that Apple functionally did control the market on PMPs, so despite it being a terrible user experience they succeeded. Amazon's discontinuation of sales of Apple TV won't give them the advantage that Apple had back then, and it's foolish of them to try.

Chromecast isn't the runaway success that some predicted, but I'd argue it still has enough of a userbase that Amazon is pretending half the market doesn't exist here, and it's entirely their fault that their content isn't available on either device.

Tl;dr I have no clue what Amazon is trying to accomplish, but I doubt this will help them in any of their goals.

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
This News coming from Amazon today regarding not selling Chromecast or Apple TV's has gotten me concerned that Twitch is officially lost to the Amazon Fire TV and there will never be a native app for The New Apple TV. This was my concern when Amazon bought Twitch a year ago. All of a sudden Twitch a platform I thought would be on the more open side is just stuck in Amazon's wall. The worst part is the Amazon Fire TV Twitch app is utter junk and makes it look like Amazon simply bought Twitch to screw the competition. So annoying.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

This probably IS them trying to negotiate down that % of income. They're not thinking that banning Apple TV will drive sales on the Fire TV, they're just trying to hurt Apple enough to get the upper-hand in discussions over the inevitable Prime app.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

To call iTunes a "garbage program" is a bit specious since literally hundreds of millions of people have used it without issue. Is it garbage because its core functionality of selling songs, tv shows and movies doesn't work? That part works fine. If it doesn't fit your specific use case that's OK but don't project what you want to the like half a billion people who managed to use it just fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

HBO actually is okay with it. Apple and Google are getting part of those subscription fees. Part of it is because HBO has no system for taking money on their own, they've always worked through other companies. Their HBO Now system is just a continuation of that.
That said Apple could probably generate a huge amount of goodwill by dropping that 30% to 25 or 20 without much impact on their business.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iTunes' biggest problem is trying to do too many things:

Music player (streaming and local)
Music storefront
Video player
Video storefront
Phone/PMP/tablet syncing tool
Podcast/audiobook player
Phone/PMP/tablet firmware backup/update/restore tool

I don't really have issues with it, but it would be nice for Apple to maybe split some of those functions off into separate tools.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't get it. Netflix, until last week, required an account to login. And you couldn't sign up through iTunes so the only money exchange taking place was between Netflix and the user, with Apple seeing none of it.

Why doesn't Amazon Prime work that way too?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

qirex posted:

To call iTunes a "garbage program" is a bit specious since literally hundreds of millions of people have used it without issue. Is it garbage because its core functionality of selling songs, tv shows and movies doesn't work? That part works fine. If it doesn't fit your specific use case that's OK but don't project what you want to the like half a billion people who managed to use it just fine.

Half a billion users doesn't mean half a billion satisfied users. iTunes is a bloated program that hogs up too many resources to accomplish any one goal as well as it could. The number of users I end up helping navigate iTunes to complete tasks that they believed to be simple when investing into the ecosystem is non-trivial. They also obviously believe something needs to change with the way they've been shuffling the interface and preferences. I stand by my "garbage program" statement.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised in a few months time if Apple music subs begin to really reflect the user dissatisfaction (Have to give it time since the free trial just ran out, and people are less likely to notice until they receive a billing statement or three).

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mahoning posted:

I don't get it. Netflix, until last week, required an account to login. And you couldn't sign up through iTunes so the only money exchange taking place was between Netflix and the user, with Apple seeing none of it.

Why doesn't Amazon Prime work that way too?

Amazon Prime isn't just about subscription streaming. It's also about purchasing certain other titles. Like a mix of iTunes and Netflix, just some titles you can stream for the regular fee, some movies you can buy or rent through them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Amazon Prime Video is a subset of Amazon Instant Video (where you can also buy/rent movies), but the two share the same app for playback. So you're not going to see an app for the first if Amazon doesn't want you to see an app for the second.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Do any of your peasants think Apple will make their own gaming controller somewhere down the line

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

noirstronaut posted:

Do any of your peasants think Apple will make their own gaming controller somewhere down the line

http://www.apple.com/tv/games-and-more/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ain't what i asked you fool!!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

noirstronaut posted:

ain't what i asked you fool!!!

The answer is their new remote acts exactly like a Wii controller, with a nunchuck attachment and all, and the 'console' style controllers are outsources for now. So they do have a 'game controller' now.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Apple hates video games so no probably not

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wii controller has a d-pad, which I'd wager is better than a touch surface for games.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

Apple hates video games so no probably not

Which is a weird stance to take because they were big behind the initial iOS App Store gaming scene. The early iPod Touches were heavily marketed with gaming as a focus.

But then Apple goes and requires devs to support the new Remote and disallowed requiring a separate controller.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Which is a weird stance to take because they were big behind the initial iOS App Store gaming scene. The early iPod Touches were heavily marketed with gaming as a focus.

But then Apple goes and requires devs to support the new Remote and disallowed requiring a separate controller.

And they break games every time they update iOS. A lot of those games just get pulled instead of fixed.

They're happy to rake in the money from games, but they won't put any effort into it themselves.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Since Apple would be handling the refunds that would undoubtedly come when people download a game then realize they can't play it, I completely understand Apple requiring the game to work with the in-box remote.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Since Apple would be handling the refunds that would undoubtedly come when people download a game then realize they can't play it, I completely understand Apple requiring the game to work with the in-box remote.

Apple makes money hand over fist from games like Clash of Clans and Puzzle and Dragons, and until they stop I doubt they much care about dissatisfaction from 'real gamers.' Ensuring satisfaction amongst that userbase is much more important.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

And they break games every time they update iOS. A lot of those games just get pulled instead of fixed.

They're happy to rake in the money from games, but they won't put any effort into it themselves.

Not sure how this is Apple's fault.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure how this is Apple's fault.

It doesn't seem to happen on Android, so it's something they're doing.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
probably because half the android phones are at least a generation or 2 behind in updates.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Clearly Apple should be thinking of Candy Crush Saga when they update iOS instead of, you know, improving the overall user experience of the operating system. God, Apple!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mahoning posted:

Clearly Apple should be thinking of Candy Crush Saga when they update iOS instead of, you know, improving the overall user experience of the operating system. God, Apple!

I think they more mean stuff like Metal Gear Solid Portable or Bioshock for iOS. I really do have to wonder though how much effort it really would take to update these things, and how bad sales have to be to make it not worth it.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Dewgy posted:

I think they more mean stuff like Metal Gear Solid Portable or Bioshock for iOS.

Oh, all this makes a lot more sense now. Don't buy mobile games from a video game company that has ever made console games or PC games because they're not at all capable of doing any post release upkeep that isn't trying to push DLC. I don't think it's even particularly a financial thing, they just don't have the structure/DNA for it. Might change in the future but this rule of thumb has worked extremely well for the first 7 years of the App Store.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bass Bottles posted:

This probably IS them trying to negotiate down that % of income. They're not thinking that banning Apple TV will drive sales on the Fire TV, they're just trying to hurt Apple enough to get the upper-hand in discussions over the inevitable Prime app.

Amazon is pretty aggressive at pushing those fees down. I had some entertaining conversations with them about affiliate fees when I was working on Firefox.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So did Apple omit any mention of HomeKit connectivity because ATV doesn't have it, or just because there aren't a lot of HomeKit devices out yet?

If I ask Siri on my phone to turn the lights on, she says there aren't any connected (hopefully this will change soon). What will she say if I ask her on ATV?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

So did Apple omit any mention of HomeKit connectivity because ATV doesn't have it, or just because there aren't a lot of HomeKit devices out yet?

If I ask Siri on my phone to turn the lights on, she says there aren't any connected (hopefully this will change soon). What will she say if I ask her on ATV?

"OK, I found Friday Night Lights on Netflix."

I'm still hoping AppleTV5 has an always-on mic. Feel like HomeKit would be more useful if I didn't have to find a controller to talk into first.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

qirex posted:

That said Apple could probably generate a huge amount of goodwill by dropping that 30% to 25 or 20 without much impact on their business.
Or reportedly 15%.

quote:

While Apple and its partners have never talked about it publicly, my understanding is that a handful of video services, including Netflix, Hulu Plus and pro-baseball’s MLB.TV, give Apple 15 percent of their monthly fees for any subscriber who signs up on Apple TV.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there any chance the old remote will work with the new TV?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Xabi posted:

Is there any chance the old remote will work with the new TV?

I would highly doubt it given the new controls. I suppose there's always a chance, but I wouldn't think they'd have an interest in supporting it given the touch interface and siri button.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I would say there's a pretty high chance. The new unit has an IR port, so there's no hardware limitation that would prevent it from working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm 99% certain I've read somewhere that it does.

• Locked thread