Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
12 countries' representatives enter with ideas that are mutually opposed, foes.

They leave having reached a compromise and opening doors that were previously closed, bros.

A new Pacific trading pact that gives American corporations unprecedented power and the ability to do what they want,

The rest of Asia gets more competitive with China, but listen, here's the piece de resistance.

No one else was in the room where it happened, the room where it happened, the room where it happened. No one really knows how the game is played, the art of the trade how the sausage gets made.

We just assume that it happened. But no one else was in the room where it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fojar38 posted:

an agreement nobody has read.

Congratulations on locating the problem. Maybe we could read it now? Does that bullshit "well nobody ever gets to read these things" time period ever expire?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Revenue minus operating expenses is probably a better guide. The profit number is dragged down by lots of stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much discretion does a multinational like BP have over their profit statement?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

zoux posted:

How much discretion does a multinational like BP have over their profit statement?

A lot. Depreciation of assets alone with a company this big can swing things considerably, and there are multiple ways one gets to calculate depreciation.

edit: Here is the BP annual report for 2014 if anyone really wants to delve into it.

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pdf/investors/BP_Annual_Report_and_Form_20F_2014.pdf

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Deepwater Horizon on its face looked like a massive idiotic gently caress up rife with negligence. Then I read a couple books on it and the depths of idiocy and negligence combined with exploiting regulatory loopholes know no bounds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radbot posted:

Congratulations on locating the problem. Maybe we could read it now? Does that bullshit "well nobody ever gets to read these things" time period ever expire?
The text will not be public for 5 or 6 years

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Radbot posted:

Yes, when it's done and goes up for a vote/approval.
Negotiations are negotiations, you leak the stuff you don't like to use as leverage, you don't leak the stuff you like because you don't want the others to question having it in.
The main issue is who does the negotiation, in this case it was a lot of industry reps and almost no public advocates, that never leads to good things for the public.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah I guess my problem is with the entire concept of negotiations this far-reaching being private, I don't give an actual gently caress about "b-b-but talking about it would give a leg up to the Chinamen!!"

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Raerlynn posted:

Again, if you can prove that the person in question knew full well that it was a hospital, and you can prove that enemy fire wasn't coming from the facility, and you can prove that knowing all this he gave the order, then you'd have a case. If any part of that chain breaks down though, you have nothing.

No, you have a bombed MSF hospital.

That an injustice has been committed, the feeling that nobody will get properly punished for this, and the fact that it will happen again because the guys in the chain of command do not fear being loving tried as war criminals no matter what, it's what is making people angry.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Radbot posted:

Yeah I guess my problem is with the entire concept of negotiations this far-reaching being private, I don't give an actual gently caress about "b-b-but talking about it would give a leg up to the Chinamen!!"

Why is negotiating in private a problem if the text is made public at the end, before states vote on adopting it?

mastervj posted:

That an injustice has been committed, the feeling that nobody will get properly punished for this, and the fact that it will happen again because the guys in the chain of command do not fear being loving tried as war criminals no matter what, it's what is making people angry.

I have never understood how people make this leap from A Bad Thing Happened to A Crime Must Have Been Committed, and the only fair outcome is for someone to be punished. Especially given that we don't even know all the facts yet.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Oklahoma finally removed the monument of the Ten Commandments that was on the Capitol grounds. Hilariously the monument hasn't even been paid for yet.

quote:

Incidentally, a Red Dirt Report reader who contacted Kansas-based Wilbert Memorials this week, said he talked to spokesman Gary Mosier about the new monument - inquiring if some or all of the bill for the monument had been paid for yet - and was told by Mosier that Wilbert Memorials has not been paid for creating the new monument.

In a January 2015 Associated Press article, State Rep. Mike Ritze (R-Broken Arrow), whose family commissioned the $10,000 to pay for the original monument, installed in 2012, said he was privately raising money to reimburse Wilbert Memorials, while the monument company fronted the cost for the new monument. That was 10 months ago. It is unclear which commandment warns against being a deadbeat.

I love the shadow. :allears:

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kro-Bar posted:

Oklahoma finally removed the monument of the Ten Commandments that was on the Capitol grounds. Hilariously the monument hasn't even been paid for yet.

"Hmm, forgive us our debts?" :shrug:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why is negotiating in private a problem if the text is made public at the end, before states vote on adopting it?

Because there may be good parts of the trade deal, along with very bad parts, and forcing someone to take the whole pill "as is" may not be a good way to implement policy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you're a remotely decent businessperson, why are you doing a job like that without getting paid?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

What's the word on the TPP and regulation of medications. I know this is something that the medical industry has tried to go after before which was medical tourism. Have they released anything of the sort? Basically a while back there was some talk of your price for treatment in certain countries may depend on your passport.

Uh, the major medical tourism countries already ask for more money from Joe American then from a guy who lived his whole life in the same country as the doctor. The change would be if there was some treaty or whatever that mandated people from all countries must pay the same price.

Regardless, here's the countries actually in TPP: Brunei, Chile, New Zealand, Singapore, Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, United States, Vietnam

The only one of those that's actually popular for medical tourism at the moment is Mexico, Singapore, maaaybe Malaysia. The other real big time ones like Thailand, India, Brazil aren't party to it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The text will not be public for 5 or 6 years

Who told you this? It is required that it have the text made public for at least 30 days before the Congress can vote on it, and I doubt that's going to take 5 years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

By the way we are now on Us Bombed hospital Pentagon fabrication number 4 in 4 days.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

By the way we are now on Us Bombed hospital Pentagon fabrication number 4 in 4 days.

you know, you'd sound less like a crazy person if you had any sort of proof to back up your crazy statements, but as is, you're just crazy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

you know, you'd sound less like a crazy person if you had any sort of proof to back up your crazy statements, but as is, you're just crazy

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/06/doctors-without-borders-airstrike-afghanistan-us-account-changes-again

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trabisnikof posted:

Naw, let him think we were just out looking for hospitals to bomb and MSF was the first one we came across, it makes him happy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kro-Bar posted:

Does this mean no Ganesh statue either? :negative:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

duz posted:

Naw, let him think we were just out looking for hospitals to bomb and MSF was the first one we came across, it makes him happy.

It was the only one so yeah I guess it was the first :shrug:. Now there are no more hospitals to threaten American hospital hegemony.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oh right, that doesn't say anything of what you're claiming:

quote:

Shifting the US account of the Saturday morning airstrike for the fourth time in as many days, Campbell reiterated that Afghan forces had requested US air cover after being engaged in a “tenacious fight” to retake the northern city of Kunduz from the Taliban. But, modifying the account he gave at a press conference on Monday, Campbell said those Afghan forces had not directly communicated with the US pilots of an AC-130 gunship overhead.

“Even though the Afghans request that support, it still has to go through a rigorous US procedure to enable fires to go on the ground. We had a special operations unit that was in close vicinity that was talking to the aircraft that delivered those fires,” Campbell told the Senate armed services committee on Tuesday morning.

euphronius posted:

It was the only one so yeah I guess it was the first :shrug:. Now there are no more hospitals to threaten American hospital hegemony.

The fact that you can't come up with a motivation is part of why your conspiracy theory makes no sense.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you're a remotely decent businessperson, why are you doing a job like that without getting paid?

When the opportunity to stick up for are freedoms presents itself, you deal with those trivialities after.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok ill go slow

"But modifying" is an important clause there you may want to consider.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So is the conspiracy theory that a hospital got bombed? I'm pretty sure a hospital got bombed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Ok ill go slow

Please tell me what exactly was fabricated, I'll wait since you're going slow.

Tesseraction posted:

So is the conspiracy theory that a hospital got bombed? I'm pretty sure a hospital got bombed.

The conspiracy theory is that the hospital got bombed because the Pentagon wanted to bomb the hospital and knew there was no threat and the U.S. was just being evil.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok fair enough. The first three stories were fabrication. THIS one is true however. I have faith they found the truth.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

euphronius posted:

Ok ill go slow

Clarification is not modification. Before, they said Afghans called in the strikes. Which everyone in here who has an idea of how things actually work pointed out doesn't mean they are talking directly to the planes in the sky. There is no modification in what was stated, it was just clarifying that, "yes, they called in the strike, but they don't call it directly to our craft, we still give the actual order, don't misconstrue that".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well to be honest the 'US is evil' theory would just be:

There's a hospital there -> that's where our wounded enemies will congregate -> get 'em while they're down.

It'd still be stupid since MSF are basically the closest you can get to angels on this grey earth so bombing them would ... well cause the poo poo show we've seen now.

I'm pretty sure euph's suggestion is that the Pentagon are making poo poo up to try and cover up their massive gently caress-up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea why the U.S. Military intentionally destroyed a hospital. I could guess but I don't know.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Oh Ben. :allears: You're the doctor of my heart.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm pretty sure euph's suggestion is that the Pentagon are making poo poo up to try and cover up their massive gently caress-up.

No, he just doesn't realize that there 'intentional' can mean multiple things.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

euphronius posted:

I have no idea why the U.S. Military intentionally destroyed a hospital. I could guess but I don't know.

How could you rape and murder a small child. I'm not saying you did rape and murder a small child, nor do I have evidence of it. I'm just asking why you would do such a thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What definition of intentional should I be using.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

'never'

They never destroyed the hospital. (Perfidious Afghans!!)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Ok fair enough. The first three stories were fabrication. THIS one is true however. I have faith they found the truth.

Please, tell me specifically what was fabricated in the first three stories. Should be easy, since you claim there are examples in all three.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slickdrac posted:

How could you rape and murder a small child. I'm not saying you did rape and murder a small child, nor do I have evidence of it. I'm just asking why you would do such a thing.

Yeah but we are actually saying the US destroyed a hospital, and they objectively did, so your silly rhetorical device kinda falls down there

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

It is correct to say 'the US destroyed a hospital'.
It is correct to say 'the US intentionally destroyed a building'.
It is correct to say 'the US intentionally destroyed a building, and it was a hospital'.
It is not correct to say 'the US intentionally destroyed a hospital'. (Contingent on further information)

The difference lies in the the US's knowledge of the hospital at the time of the strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

Please, tell me specifically what was fabricated in the first three stories. Should be easy, since you claim there are examples in all three.

For one, there weren't any shots coming from the hospital like they claimed.

• Locked thread