Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Peter Bogdanovich. It was interesting to hear about Peter's early career, and how he got into the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Marc really wants to gently caress Lake Bell...

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So do I, especially after seeing her in Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

She is very talented and gorgeous and I would love to take her to dinner.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I loved "In a World"

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Let's gently caress her.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
I am super pumped for the Lemmy/Thompson interview. Marc gets the best music guests of anyone

I would love if he got some of those CBGB guys on. As far as I know he hasn't interviewed anyone from Television, The Heartbreakers or any of Richard Hells side projects and the window is closing. Surely those stories are worth capturing on the podcast?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Lemmy is a little hard to understand.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Fred Armisen was an interesting interview, but they seemed to wrap up right when it was getting really interesting (talking about Fred's failed relationships and how his partners tend to end relationships because he makes it unbearable for them to not leave). Good one though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Fred Armisen was an interesting interview, but they seemed to wrap up right when it was getting really interesting (talking about Fred's failed relationships and how his partners tend to end relationships because he makes it unbearable for them to not leave). Good one though.

http://gawker.com/fred-armisen-has-a-reputation-1677187580

I heard that stuff about his failed relationships and all that when this article came out, but hearing about it from his perspective was really interesting. That was a good interview.

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009
I'm late but that interview with the editor of Spin was painful and really illustrated Marc's Achilles heel which is other male pseudointellectuals.

in the middle of a rant denying climate change hysteria the dude says "science is all about proving theories wrong."

Unbelievably frustrating listening.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Peace Frog posted:

I'm late but that interview with the editor of Spin was painful and really illustrated Marc's Achilles heel which is other male pseudointellectuals.

in the middle of a rant denying climate change hysteria the dude says "science is all about proving theories wrong."

Unbelievably frustrating listening.

Yeah, that episode was annoying, because the guy had some really good stories about his pretty important place in the history of music and journalism, and even some not terrible points about internet hate-mobs and hiveminds, but a lot of the second half was very "We white men should be able to do and say whatever we want without fear of consequence".

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Peace Frog posted:

For an even worse interview with an even more arrogant pseudo-intellectual, please see the interview with Father John Misty. He uses the word erudite to describe himself, unironically

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

rest his guts posted:

For an even worse interview with an even more arrogant pseudo-intellectual, please see the interview with Father John Misty. He uses the word erudite to describe himself, unironically

There's your first mistake. Everything about FJM is done ironically.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Modern Leper posted:

There's your first mistake. Everything about FJM is done ironically.

Or FJM has no idea what irony is and is just an insincere, tedious dickhead.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Or FJM has no idea what irony is and is just an insincere, tedious dickhead.

I like his music, so :shrug:

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
The FJM interview made my skin crawl.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

rest his guts posted:

For an even worse interview, check out any of the Bret Easton Ellis podcasts where he fixates on internet outrage, censorship, political correctness or anything else in that vein.

which means pretty much all of them.

That Spin Magazine one was really tough to get through. Holy gently caress, it made me want to hit the guy. What a condescending, full-of-himself jerk that guy was.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

rotinaj posted:

For an even worse interview, check out any of the Bret Easton Ellis podcasts where he fixates on internet outrage, censorship, political correctness or anything else in that vein.

which means pretty much all of them.

That Spin Magazine one was really tough to get through. Holy gently caress, it made me want to hit the guy. What a condescending, full-of-himself jerk that guy was.

He's just pissed off because his dad gets more pussy than him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Bret Easton Ellis podcast is even funnier when you realize he makes his guest sit through his pre-written 20 minute intro about political correctness or how TV is actually bad these days or what millennial nonsense his 20 year old boyfriend is into instead of recording it beforehand.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I really didn't think Father John Misty came off as very pretentious. He has a voice and appearance that make it really easy to bias towards that impression if you want to, though. He seems very self-aware about what kind of music he is making and who he is making it for and how he uses that to establish his sense of identity. I thought it was interesting and insightful, and I thought it was probably fair when he expressed his discomfort being compared to poo poo like Mumford and Sons. I got the impression that he takes his art very seriously, but doesn't expect people to like or respect it just because he does so. Like he was way more "I really care about what I'm doing" than "plebs don't get how great my music is."

The only part where he bothered me was when he was talking about being naked in a tree and Maron was like "haha, hosed up on drugs, huh?" and he was like "well, yes, I activated myself with mushrooms" or something like that. Like dude, you were hosed up in a tree, it's okay to acknowledge that and still say you had a profound personal experience. But even that I can kinda slide on since when they discussed heroin it was clear he had some level of discomfort with drug use which probably stemmed from his super fundamentalist upbringing.

It was a pretty big contrast to the hilarious and candid conversation Maron and Bateman had about cocaine. Drug stories are the best.

E: Just listened to the Sinbad interview and I remember people saying they liked it, which is interesting, because the entire thing is basically a serious of stories where "even when I was intentionally trying to fail I succeeded and regular people didn't get me but all the famous legends I met loved me and thought I was the coolest person ever." But he's a way more jovial and likeable guy than FJM so it comes off endearing even though it's almost non-stop shameless bragging. It's interesting how character seems to influence perception a lot more than content. And I'm the same way, I'd much rather hang out with Sinbad than FJM even though I feel like Sinbad would spend the whole time talking about how awesome he is and I could actually have a real conversation with FJM. Weird.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 17, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Patrick Stewart episode, predictably, was absolutely amazing, what a guy.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

fatherboxx posted:

Patrick Stewart episode, predictably, was absolutely amazing, what a guy.

I agree. I am not a Star Trek guy or even much of a fan of Patrick Stewart but that interview was great. I particularly enjoyed hearing him speak in his native (Yorkshire?) accent.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Septic Knothead posted:

I agree. I am not a Star Trek guy or even much of a fan of Patrick Stewart but that interview was great. I particularly enjoyed hearing him speak in his native (Yorkshire?) accent.

Same here. Was interesting to hear about his father, and the lady who would come in to protect his mother from his father

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There was an amnesty international video where he talks about domestic abuse and just him talking about it makes you want to cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzVUGE3dds

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

soggybagel posted:

There was an amnesty international video where he talks about domestic abuse and just him talking about it makes you want to cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzVUGE3dds

I like the sick burn at the end with the smoking campaigns jab.

The interview was pretty great. I really liked how the one story he told about when his anger got out of hand was about dirty tea cups, and like someone else said the Yorkshire dialect stuff was awesome.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Wow, Keith Richards is an enormous get for Marc. Probably bigger than Obama, at least in rarity. Logistically the POTUS is probably the most complicated interview anyone can do.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Keith Richards has a documentary to plug, I imagine that's gotta factor in quite heavily.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
He cranks the fanboy up to 11 with Keith.

Edit - lol smoking in NPR's studio...

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 21, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I usually hate his fanboy music interviews, but this one was pretty good. Him smoking his first cig in a decade was classic. How could you say no when Keith Richards offers you from his pack?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I usually hate his fanboy music interviews, but this one was pretty good. Him smoking his first cig in a decade was classic. How could you say no when Keith Richards offers you from his pack?

I wonder how morose Maron will be for episodes after this. "OMG I smoked! I stopped smoking! What was I thinking?!?"

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Protip: Keith Richards sounds incredibly lucid and articulate when you speed up the podcast to about 1.5x

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Protip: Keith Richards sounds incredibly lucid and articulate when you speed up the podcast to about 1.5x

You just gave me a reason to listen to this podcast. (I don't dislike Richards, I just kinda don't care about the Stones at the moment, and listening to a full ep of Maron is usually a struggle.)

Stewart episode was really good. He gives a great interview.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Keith Richards is the man. Glad Marc was able to pull his poo poo together and get a good interview, but wouldn't have blamed him if he didn't as Keith Richards is also a hero of mine. I think Marc is right: as far as gets in that this will probably be his peak. Genuinely really glad he got to live out a dream.

And I think Rihards is normally fairly lucid (although surprisingly so here), it's just that he has a certain way of relating things when he's talking. Sometimes his little anecdotes of people are a little confusing because he'll just launch into a one sentence impression without altering his voice at all. Keith is the man and I'm glad he's lived this long.

Now interview Richard Hell or Tom Verlaine (probably not gonna happen) next

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Apparently Maron interviewed Lorne today. Episode to be released... at some point.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Apparently Maron interviewed Lorne today. Episode to be released... at some point.

Holy poo poo.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Wow, I don't know if I'm glad to finally have that happen or sad that it's going to change how weird Marc is every time he has former SNL people on.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really want a Lorne impression supercut from this podcast.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Berzerker posted:

Oh wow, I wonder if it will just have Maron screaming and crying about why he wasn't selected for SNL back in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Lorne's one of the dwindling wtfs that feels special, but Marcs so open and likes everything and everyone so much now I'm worried hes going to be all magnanimous.

• Locked thread