Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Shortest Path posted:

I mean, you kind of do have to be an unrepentantly evil motherfucker to completely and utterly deprive someone of their free will such that you can impose your own on them.

dude, canon Harry Potter is full of date rape drugs "love potions". Voldemort was born from the use of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah it is.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I've always felt weird that in interviews J.K Rowling is all like 'Its our choices that define us, you don't have to be the villain' but we learn in the last two books that Voldemort was a sociopath who never understood caring about other people and a rape baby to boot.

Kind of messed up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Someone pointed out that the Rowlingverse has a very weird Calvinistic vibe to it in general.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mastajake posted:

I don't know what the deal is with fanfics (okay I've only read this one and The Arithmancer) having the "villain" characters (Slytherin) saying mudblood all the time. It was a big deal in the third book when Malfoy said it, both for Harry, who had never heard of it, Hermione, who had never been called it, and Ron, who was about as enraged as you'd be hearing one of your friends called a friend of the family to their face. It was possibly even a big deal for Draco to say it at that point. It's like they want to rush all the character development (good and bad) the original had going for it.

It's just the first book where nobody is saying mudblood, and it becomes pretty routine by the middle of the second book. A lot of fanfics import elements from the later books into their depiction of first year to make things less predictable, but I think it's probably an oversight born of reading the later books a lot more than the early ones.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jazerus posted:

It's just the first book where nobody is saying mudblood, and it becomes pretty routine by the middle of the second book. A lot of fanfics import elements from the later books into their depiction of first year to make things less predictable, but I think it's probably an oversight born of reading the later books a lot more than the early ones.
it's probably an oversight born of reading fanfiction a lot more than the books.

Even if you adore the gently caress out of Harry Potter, there aren't that many books, and if you're the sort of person to write fanfic you've probably read at least twice as many words on the internet than Rowling wrote. A lot of stuff starts out in one or two stories, gets copied a hundred times, and becomes common knowledge.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah even in the later books it isn't said much. That's 100% a fanfiction thing, because the community is super incestuous.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah even in the later books it isn't said much. That's 100% a fanfiction thing, because the community is super incestuous.

Much like the wizarding world!

sorry

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MrFlibble posted:

I've always felt weird that in interviews J.K Rowling is all like 'Its our choices that define us, you don't have to be the villain' but we learn in the last two books that Voldemort was a sociopath who never understood caring about other people and a rape baby to boot.

Kind of messed up.

He was dealt a lovely hand, but he chose to play it the way he did. It stands in contrast with Snape (also a sociopath) and Harry (got the poo poo beaten out of him by Vernon) who made choices and went differently.

Granted, Snape was still an rear end in a top hat and didn't play his hand particularly well. But he got dealt poo poo cards and made better choices.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I realize "sociopath" is a fashionable word but I really wouldn't throw it around like that. Definitely wouldn't call Snape one.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I realize "sociopath" is a fashionable word but I really wouldn't throw it around like that. Definitely wouldn't call Snape one.

"Biased rear end in a top hat with a targeted hatred of Harry" is the descriptor I'd choose. Since the series is (mostly) from Harry's POV, all we get to see of Snape is his interactions with Harry, and the way he treats him is not his whole personality. He's a dick to non-Slytherins, but based on how Narcissa talks to him, he's incredibly supportive of his students and a good teacher/mentor. It doesn't help that he's putting on an act for the Death Eaters from book 5 onward so the closest depictions of the "real" snape we get are from the pensieve memories in Book 7.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I agree it is thrown around without concern for what the term really means, but I view his actions as consistent with a high level antisocial personality disorder. I'd characterize his relationship with Lily as one of obsession, not love. Without that, do we see anything that doesn't show him as wholly narcissistic, cruel, lacking in empathy or remorse?

If you buy that he was in love and his reactions to her being under threat and death as born from that then sure, he isn't a sociopath. I was just never sold on that part, that he was this truly loving and caring man just hiding it all. He seemed more like a true spy, the outwardly ordinary but bitter, self absorbed, and spiteful leading to him hurting his compatriots because he is bitter about how he felt wronged and ignored by them. Useful for your side, vital to the war effort, and his actions worthy of recognition, but not necessarily a good and heroic person and often the extreme other of that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Remember that Snape was totally ok with killing a random baby when he told Voldemort the prophecy. When he learned it was Lily's baby he was still all for it as long as he could swoop in afterwards to get with her.

I've always seen Snape as someone who never really committed to a side. Sure, he'd rather Voldemort lost, but if he ended up winning Snape would go along with it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 16: Lateral Thinking
Part Nine

quote:

"Unless, of course," Professor Quirrell said, his voice now lower and harder, "you are under the influence of an anti-Apparition jinx. No, there is exactly one monster which can threaten you once you are fully grown. The single most dangerous monster in all the world, so dangerous that nothing else comes close. The Dark Wizard. That is the only thing that will still be able to threaten you."

If Quirrell is teaching all these students how to cast the Death Spell, won’t each student’s fellow student, and Quirrell himself, and any other wizard who can cast the Death Spell (which is likely almost all wizards, since the Death Spell is apparently easy enough to cast that a first-year student can start learning it) also be able to threaten the first-mentioned student?

quote:

Professor Quirrell's lips were set in a thin line. "I will reluctantly teach you enough trivia for a passing mark on the Ministry-mandated portions of your first-year finals. Since your exact mark on these sections will make no difference to your future life, anyone who wants more than a passing mark is welcome to waste their own time studying our pathetic excuse for a textbook. The title of this subject is not Defence Against Minor Pests. You are here to learn how to defend yourselves against the Dark Arts. Which means, let us be very clear on this, defending yourselves against Dark Wizards. People with wands who want to hurt you and who will likely succeed in doing so unless you hurt them first! There is no defence without offence! There is no defence without fighting! This reality is deemed too harsh for eleven-year-olds by the fat, overpaid, Auror-guarded politicians who mandated your curriculum. To the abyss with those fools! You are here for the subject that has been taught at Hogwarts for eight hundred years! Welcome to your first year of Battle Magic!"

”The Killing Curse doesn’t kill wizards, wizards kill wizards.”

quote:

Harry started applauding. He couldn't help himself, it was too inspiring.

Once Harry started clapping there was some scattered response from Gryffindor, and more from Slytherin, but most students simply seemed too stunned to react.

Professor Quirrell made a cutting gesture, and the applause died instantly. "Thank you very much," said Professor Quirrell. "Now to practicalities. I have combined all my first-year Battle classes into one, which allows me to offer you twice as much classroom time as Doubles sessions -"

There were gasps of horror.

"- an increased load which I will make up to you by not assigning any homework."

The gasps of horror cut off abruptly.

"Yes, you heard me correctly. I will teach you to fight, not to write twelve inches on fighting due Monday."

Harry desperately wished he'd sat next to Hermione so he could see the look on her face now, but on the other hand he was pretty sure he was imagining it accurately.

Hypocrite. If Hermione weren’t occupying the “book-learning” top spot, Eliezarry would have been the one being smug and haughty about being able to read faster than all the other students.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Professor Quirrell's lips were set in a thin line. "I will reluctantly teach you enough trivia for a passing mark on the Ministry-mandated portions of your first-year finals. Since your exact mark on these sections will make no difference to your future life, anyone who wants more than a passing mark is welcome to waste their own time studying our pathetic excuse for a textbook. The title of this subject is not Defence Against Minor Pests. You are here to learn how to defend yourselves against the Dark Arts. Which means, let us be very clear on this, defending yourselves against Dark Wizards. People with wands who want to hurt you and who will likely succeed in doing so unless you hurt them first! There is no defence without offence! There is no defence without fighting! This reality is deemed too harsh for eleven-year-olds by the fat, overpaid, Auror-guarded politicians who mandated your curriculum. To the abyss with those fools! You are here for the subject that has been taught at Hogwarts for eight hundred years! Welcome to your first year of Battle Magic!"

Is everyone else seeing here Yud justifying being a high-school dropout and raging against academical institutions or is it just me?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Furia posted:

Is everyone else seeing here Yud justifying being a high-school dropout and raging against academical institutions or is it just me?

Everything he writes has that undercurrent.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Everything he writes is has that undercurrent.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Furia posted:

Though admittedly, that's a pretty common theme in literature. It's just especially glaringly dumb in the context of Harry Potter fan fiction, where it makes no sense at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATIONNNNNNNNN

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't wait until we find out Quirrel is just a Hard Man who makes Hard Choices and sees in Harry a kindred spirit.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Furia posted:

Yudkowsky once said he'd be willing to get a PhD from a prestigious institution if they'd allow him to skip all classes and tests and just defend a dissertation. :eng99:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SolTerrasa posted:

Yudkowsky once said he'd be willing to get a PhD from a prestigious institution if they'd allow him to skip all classes and tests and just defend a dissertation. :eng99:

I would love to see that dissertation defense. I think he'd kill his committee with the laughter.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolTerrasa posted:

I can kind of understand that though. If I was literally the only one capable of finishing the enormously important project of a Harry Potter fan fiction, I too would not wish to bother myself with meaningless rituals such as reading a book.

Also, he could get his PhD in Germany - German PhD programs are much less structured, no classes, no tests. You just got to write a thesis and convince somebody to listen to your defense.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cingulate posted:

Also, he could get his PhD in Germany - German PhD programs are much less structured, no classes, no tests. You just got to write a thesis and convince somebody to listen to your defense.

... it can't be that simple, can it?

oh god someone tell him this

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I sincerely doubt he's capable of pulling off anything resembling a thesis - it is generally frowned upon to use popular science books as sources. Plus what we've seen so far he doesn't have a clue about scientific methods.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

anilEhilated posted:

I sincerely doubt he's capable of pulling off anything resembling a thesis - it is generally frowned upon to use popular science books as sources. Plus what we've seen so far he doesn't have a clue about scientific methods.

All the more reason to tell him, if you ask me. Then he'll really have some explaining to do when it doesn't work out for him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

All the more reason to tell him, if you ask me. Then he'll really have some explaining to do when it doesn't work out for him.
"My vision was too revolutionary for those backwards academics!"
You surely don't think he'd admit to being wrong?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

It's about that, really (depending on the specific University, program, subject). The defense itself tends to be a lot milder than in the US, too - your committee are your supervisors, it can be as little as 15 minutes of explaining your questions, 15 minutes questions about your own research, here, there's your hat, where's the cake?, you brought some right?. Somehow, the German science system has not been destroyed by this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Seeing a guy who couldn't manage to graduate high school try and defend a thesis in a language he doesn't speak could be quite entertaining

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

"My vision was too revolutionary for those backwards academics!"
You surely don't think he'd admit to being wrong?

Of course not, but can you just imagine the blogpost he would have to write after that fiasco? It'd be the cherry at the top of the ice cream of all we have seen.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Fried Chicken posted:

Seeing a guy who couldn't manage to graduate high school try and defend a thesis in a language he doesn't speak could be quite entertaining

He'd spend a day learning German, realize it was hard to do, then decide it was the language's fault for being one of those inefficient natural languages. He would then write a series of blog posts about the benefits of Lojban, while never learning to speak that either.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pavlov posted:

He'd spend a day learning German, realize it was hard to do, then decide it was the language's fault for being one of those inefficient natural languages. He would then write a series of blog posts about the benefits of Lojban, while never learning to speak that either.
No. In Germany, you can in many instances give your defense in English.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Furia posted:

Of course not, but can you just imagine the blogpost he would have to write after that fiasco? It'd be the cherry at the top of the ice cream of all we have seen.

Sure, just like all those posts he wrote after he started losing at the AI box game.

Wait, no, actually he never mentioned it again and just hoped everybody would forget about it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Please tell me someone posted logs of him losing at the AI Box game to a person who just taps the up arrow and resends "no" every time he tries anything.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No, no leaks. We know he lost a bunch and called it quits because he posted so himself, albeit after a hundred paragraphs of patting himself on the back for the times that he won, and holding up himself as a paragon of motivation.

Big Yud posted:

There were three more AI-Box experiments besides the ones described on the linked page, which I never got around to adding in. People started offering me thousands of dollars as stakes—"I'll pay you $5000 if you can convince me to let you out of the box." They didn't seem sincerely convinced that not even a transhuman AI could make them let it out—they were just curious—but I was tempted by the money. So, after investigating to make sure they could afford to lose it, I played another three AI-Box experiments. I won the first, and then lost the next two. And then I called a halt to it. I didn't like the person I turned into when I started to lose.

"An experiment is totally still valid if you cut off the results once you stop getting ones you like, right?"

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Cingulate posted:

No. In Germany, you can in many instances give your defense in English.

Wow, there is literally no excuse for him not to have done this. I had no idea. And it's not like the Germans have never heard of Newcomb's problem.

I just went back and looked at the post where he said this and he also said that he's got it halfway written. But of course it's not posted anywhere or available in any form (because it's obviously not "half written", it's at best "vaguely sketched out").

quote:

When I tried to write it up, I realized that I was starting to write a small book.  And it wasn't the most important book I had to write, so I shelved it. My slow writing speed really is the bane of my existence.

Says a man who wrote a War and Peace on the topic of Harry Potter totally owning some mindkilled normals. I guess that was the most important book he had to write.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SolTerrasa posted:

Wow, there is literally no excuse for him not to have done this.

I guess he had the same excuse we did, in that he he probably had no idea that it was actually feasible. Now, if someone were to go tell him this...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't know, it would involve finishing something AND submitting it to people who aren't cultists that will shower him with acclaim. He'd never do that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 16: Lateral Thinking
Part Ten

quote:

Also Harry was in love. It would be a three-way wedding: him, the Time-Turner, and Professor Quirrell.

"For those of you who so choose, I have arranged some after-school activities that I think you will find quite interesting as well as educational. Do you want to show the world your own abilities instead of watching fourteen other people play Quidditch? More than seven people can fight in an army."

Hot drat.

It seems like Eliezarry wants to write a fanfic of Ender’s Game in addition to Harry Potter. Not surprising – Ender’s Game is probably every nerd kid’s ultimate wish-fulfillment story.

quote:

"These and other after-school activities will also earn you Quirrell points. What are Quirrell points, you ask? The House point system does not suit my needs, because it makes House points too rare. I prefer to let my students know how they are doing more frequently than that. And on the rare occasions I offer you a written test, it will mark itself as you go along, and if you get too many related questions wrong, your test will show the names of students who got those questions right, and those students will be able to earn Quirrell points by helping you."

...wow. Why didn't the other professors use a system like that?

"What good are Quirrell points, you wonder? For a start, ten Quirrell points will be worth one House point. But they will earn you other favors as well. Would you like to take your exam at an unusual time? Is there a particular session you would very much prefer to skip? You will find that I can be very flexible on behalf of students who have accumulated enough Quirrell points. Quirrell points will control the generalship of the armies. And for Christmas - just before the Christmas break - I will grant someone a wish. Any school-related feat that lies within my power, my influence, or above all, my ingenuity. Yes, I was in Slytherin and I am offering to formulate a cunning plot on your behalf, if that is what it takes to accomplish your desire. This wish will go to whoever has earned the most Quirrell points within all seven years."

That would be Harry.

"Now leave your books and loose items at your desks - they will be safe, the screens will watch over them for you - and come down onto this platform. It's time to play a game called Who's the Most Dangerous Student in the Classroom."

I’d argue that Quirrell’s scheme seems like a good way to set the students at each others’ throats, but that’s actually in keeping with canon Hogwarts, with its House points and House cup and the constant exaltations by the House-Masters and House-Mistresses to their students to beat the other Houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

quote:

Quirrell points will control the generalship of the armies.

I just realised this is directly contradicted by the actual story a bit later. Nice consistency there.

Did that 'you get a wish' bit of the story ever actually get resolved? I remember the actual wish being something dumb and out of character for all the involved characters, but I don't think it ever came up again.