Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
BBC Sport is saying that hes out for the Wales game.

Which is a shame i think. I would love Wales to win but i dont think its going to make much difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So Canada should be able to beat Romania, right? Right?!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jesus Canada's kicking is the thing that is actually beating up the Canadian team.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Madkal posted:

Jesus Canada's kicking is the thing that is actually beating up the Canadian team.

Turns out that the team which is literally two Sevens' teams smashed together isn't very good at the one thing that Sevens' players never have to do :{

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Tyma posted:

Turns out that the team which is literally two Sevens' teams smashed together isn't very good at the one thing that Sevens' players never have to do :{

I knew there was a lot of sevens players on the squad from the OP but I didn't realize that it is two teams smashed together geez.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well that was pretty nice.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Xtanstic posted:

I knew there was a lot of sevens players on the squad from the OP but I didn't realize that it is two teams smashed together geez.

It's the Alberta Wolfpack team, the Ontario Blues team and the 3 guys who play in South Wales.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
An international kicking workshop, about 9 months before the next world cup just to get everyone up a bit. You get all the "minor" sides' kickers together, have a discussion about technique and training methods...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Woot Canada!!!

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

goatface posted:

An international kicking workshop, about 9 months before the next world cup just to get everyone up a bit. You get all the "minor" sides' kickers together, have a discussion about technique and training methods...

This sounds brilliant: just invite Tier 2s (and below, is there anyone below) and give them a proper rundown on how to do it. It would be very interesting to look at what some scorelines would have been if every kick at goal had been landed - thinking of England Fiji off the top of my head, but I know there's generally been some games which have felt like they'd be very different if the smaller nation had kicked well.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Tyma posted:

It's the Alberta Wolfpack team, the Ontario Blues team and the 3 guys who play in South Wales.

This explains so much.

goatface posted:

You mean you're not supposed to just let ex soccer players punt it???!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xtanstic posted:

This explains so much.

You mean you're not supposed to just let ex soccer players punt it???!

Could be worst. Get ex-NFL/CFL kickers to do it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Welp. Not wholly unexpected but still. :smith: :canada:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seriously Canada's kickers are to blame for this. 11 points missed.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Vagabundo's badvatar on me must have cursed the Canadians, it's the only explanation.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Fijians don't look quite as into their dance as the others do. I think they need to find a more psychotic player to lead it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hell of an effort in getting to that tackle, he really should have used his loving arms.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wow, thats one hell of a way to start a game

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Oof. This could be rough.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Haha look at them celebrate :unsmith:

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Well done Uruguay

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Uruguay seem to be getting away with a lot of little technical fouls, but they're willing to play the chucking around game so good on them I suppose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He walked that in. There was nobody near him despite him having to cross their line through a bunch.

edit - Uruguay are really bad at keeping their restarts in field. I'm gonna add that as a session in the "international kicking winter school".

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So uh why do all these pundits and coaches and other rugby types go on about how awful it was to do the draw three years ago as if it had any relevance to England's performance? I mean sure, for hype reasons etc. it seems a bit silly to do the draw so long ago but I don't see how it had anything to do with performance on the night.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They love talking about how people know where the line is as well.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

NLJP posted:

So uh why do all these pundits and coaches and other rugby types go on about how awful it was to do the draw three years ago as if it had any relevance to England's performance? I mean sure, for hype reasons etc. it seems a bit silly to do the draw so long ago but I don't see how it had anything to do with performance on the night.

Because Wales' ranking at the time was a major anomaly, and had they done it, say, this year, we wouldn't have ended up with three top flight teams in the same pool thereby guaranteeing a major upset for one of them.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

NLJP posted:

It's also a silly argument because even if they did the draw more recently Argentina were outside the top 8 for the last couple of years. Ireland were out the top 8 just two years ago too. Which could have had just as tough a group.

There are enough good teams that groups of death are likely. This is a good thing as it comes from there being more competitive teams.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fiji really aren't scared enough of losing the ball. They're giving it away in silly ways when they should be storming.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

It's also a silly argument because even if they did the draw more recently Argentina were outside the top 8 for the last couple of years. Ireland were out the top 8 just two years ago too. Which could have had just as tough a group.

There are enough good teams that groups of death are likely. This is a good thing as it comes from there being more competitive teams.

Ah thanks, that makes sense.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That was a bomb-rear end try :woop:

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
WTF! Did they just compare the struggles of the Uruguayan players in this game to the Uruguayan rugby players who were in the plane crash and had to eat the dead bodies?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

stavros880 posted:

WTF! Did they just compare the struggles of the Uruguayan players in this game to the Uruguayan rugby players who were in the plane crash and had to eat the dead bodies?

One of the dudes granddad was on that plane.

Also what a try! Uruguay are making it interesting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fiji are doing their best to throw points away.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

AGAIN with the handbags? Come on

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hahahahaha, good work those angry South Americans.

Fiji should just keep doing that until they self destruct.

oh, ok. They can self destruct already.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lmao get wrecked

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Poor Fijian man got screwed there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Second yellow was fair there. gently caress him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it had been someone else, he might have needed a red anyway. He flew in there to pick a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

HappyCamperGL posted:

Even if you just took the teams playing in the top two test competitions (six nations and rugby championship) you have 10 teams. Obviously that does not go into 8 quarter final spots and, if there is an upset by a lower tier nation (think Fiji knocking out Wales in 2007 pool play) you will only end up with 7 from that top pool of teams.