Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm tired of fighting my Christian Brothers, I will take a bite out of Muslim Andalusia!

OH GOD I'M SORRY I SURRENDER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ah, I see you've experienced the Holy War clown car for the first time. Yeah, you want to snipe targets when they're currently in other wars (civil war is always a good choice if you're quick) so their religious brothers don't all come to their aid.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The river crossing penalty is figuratively killing me and literally killing my men. Entire wars lost because I didn't bother to zoom in and see if there was a tiny blue squiggle in the county I'm assaulting.

Also, how do you see terrain modifiers on a county that's currently being sieged? The county details window is different when an attacker is present, and I don't know how else to view that info.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

FutonForensic posted:

Also, how do you see terrain modifiers on a county that's currently being sieged? The county details window is different when an attacker is present, and I don't know how else to view that info.

IIRC, there should be a button in the lower right hand corner of the siege display (I'm at work so I can't confirm this right now) that flips back over to the province display.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

The river crossing penalty is figuratively killing me and literally killing my men. Entire wars lost because I didn't bother to zoom in and see if there was a tiny blue squiggle in the county I'm assaulting.

There's a button that's two arrows on the section of the window that swaps between the county details page and the siege page

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Snak posted:

I'm tired of fighting my Christian Brothers, I will take a bite out of Muslim Andalusia!

I love your first impressions of playing in 1066 Iberia, because it so closely matches what we all here experienced the first time as well. The CK2 thread was long named "Muslim Clown Car" for a very good reason, I'm glad that you can enjoy the clown car yourself as well.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So, things are going well in my Welsh game. My first song just came of age and is pretty awesome. Shopping around for marriages, I've got a 15 y/o Scottish Princess far down the line of succession I could go for and develop some future claims for Scotland for my line. Alternatively, newly independent England's King has a 12 year old daughter I could try for and only one (younger son). However England is already starting to fracture and I'm unsure if he'll hold onto that power (Though I dunno how claims work in this instance).

Part of me is hesitant to tie myself via alliance to what'll probably be a war-torn England. So I'm leaning towards Scotland. Any advice? I'm not really used to marriage shenanigans, my past (typically short lived, 1-2 generations/~100 years) games have mostly been fabrication conquests (Munster, Apulia)

This is probably a bit late but I would have totally gone for that England marrage and then started to plot immediately after the marriage goes through (gotta get that set in stone first!) to stab the king. The fact that he's having some rebellion issues means that he's currently got some people annoyed at him which generally means it's a good time to stab. True, when he does put the rebellion down he'll have a boost to vassal relations for a few years but then you can target his only son.

Edit: Also, the only improtant thing is to get that king title. Even if he lost all but one county, you inheiriting that title means free dejure conquests on all of those fractured counties.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It is a bit late, I went for Scotland.

Formed Wales, my Scottish allies called me into a de jure Galloway war to take the petty kingdom of Soreyar or whatever that controlled Mann and some other minor Scottish territories. Whatever I'll accept and then not do anything.

Then Scotland explodes into a multi-war civil war, and I can't particpiate because of this stupid de jure war with Soreyar. :argh: At first I was gonna raise troops to quickly crush them, but then Norway got into a three-way fight with England and France over control of England, so I instead used the opportunity to snipe Devon from them in a de Jure war while keeping an eye on the Scottish scuffle.

Won Devon, the original King of Scotland was deposed, civil war continued though between ursurper factions, but the King being defeated meant I could now join the fray. My 8-9k strong Welsh army was easily able to sweep aside the few battered armies left fighting in Scotland and put my daughter-in-law on the throne. I don't know how long she'll hold it, though I guess with my support she should hopefully be able to hold it long enough for my grandson to inherit.

Finally got a fabricated claim on Cornwall (this is why I de Jured Devon instead, I want to put a family member in as the Duke of Cornwall), except I've got another 10 year truce and I'm not sure 61 y/o Cadwgan will survive the next ~5 years. And I can't get enough plot power to murder the king of Norway.

Meanwhile the first Crusade happened and Croatia now rules the Levant and France now rules England.

Already starting to feel kinda samey with my experiences in the past though. Especially since I'm still not sure how to reliably expand once De Jure claims run out and claim fabrication becomes prohibitive (cornwall cost me 200 gold!). The marriage market around here sucks. Got my daughter married to the 3rd prince of Castille, but attempts at stabbing went nowhere and she died from sickness before producing a child.

Thinking of setting this save aside for a while and trying something very different and playing an Old Gods/Norse/Pagan game or maybe a Merchant republic.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Finally got a fabricated claim on Cornwall (this is why I de Jured Devon instead, I want to put a family member in as the Duke of Cornwall), except I've got another 10 year truce and I'm not sure 61 y/o Cadwgan will survive the next ~5 years. And I can't get enough plot power to murder the king of Norway.

Well if you murder that person it will reset the war cooldown.

Once you've taken an empire things can slow down a bit especially if you don't have a whacky religion or proximity to heathens. What I try to do at that point is try to gently caress the HRE as much as possible if its a 1066 start. Making the blobs implode or exploding them is my endgame

Snak posted:

If you are doing a regular start all your Christian brothers will be willing to go to war with the Muslims. You have to agree to their wars too but it doesn't mean you have to actually help them. And you can try to assassinate them in the meantime. Doing that really fast at the start can totally cripple the Muslims in the west as you roll up their kingdoms. Just be careful about taking more than 1 kingdom title.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Goofballs posted:

Well if you murder that person it will reset the war cooldown.

I should've been more clear, the King of Norway is the liege of Cornwall and he is the one I have truce with (and can't get enough plot power to kill, as I said).

I think I'll go with a Viking game and stay as far away from those miserable British islands as possible. [edit] I'm also a little disappointed Cadwgan never earned an epitaph. Dude unifies wales for the first time in a century or two(?) and nothing.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A new dev diary was posted with a teaser screenshot for the next expansion:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-2-what-we-do.885489/

The "alliances" tab has been replaced with "pacts." I can't imagine that's anything other than the more flexible diplomatic agreements people have been wishing for for ages.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Oh, now I get it. What can work sometimes is assassinating his spymaster and he'll get a new one in short order but they might be more willing to give you like a 90% bonus but its a long shot. This is why I have music or tv on when I play ck2

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sindai posted:

A new dev diary was posted with a teaser screenshot for the next expansion:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-2-what-we-do.885489/

The "alliances" tab has been replaced with "pacts." I can't imagine that's anything other than the more flexible diplomatic agreements people have been wishing for for ages.

I do hope they haven't totally ripped out marriage alliances, it's one of the more unique aspects of CK2

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StashAugustine posted:

I do hope they haven't totally ripped out marriage alliances, it's one of the more unique aspects of CK2

That's very unlikely, I would bet money on marriage alliances still being in the game. The core complaint was always that there were not enough ways to ally with somebody, you either had to be related, arrange a marriage, or become friends (which was basically impossible to do in a targeted manner in vanilla CK2). I doubt they will rip out one of the core aspects of alliances, instead they will surely have expanded the whole concept. Perhaps there will also be conditional pacts, like "help me in conquering Flanders, and I will help you take Tuscany".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Goofballs posted:

Oh, now I get it. What can work sometimes is assassinating his spymaster and he'll get a new one in short order but they might be more willing to give you like a 90% bonus but its a long shot. This is why I have music or tv on when I play ck2

yeah i leave it running when I'm alt-tabbed reading forums at like speed 2 or 3 if I'm not at war and I've already set up all my betrothals etc. Then I can hear popups and go see what happened.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Torrannor posted:

That's very unlikely, I would bet money on marriage alliances still being in the game. The core complaint was always that there were not enough ways to ally with somebody, you either had to be related, arrange a marriage, or become friends (which was basically impossible to do in a targeted manner in vanilla CK2). I doubt they will rip out one of the core aspects of alliances, instead they will surely have expanded the whole concept. Perhaps there will also be conditional pacts, like "help me in conquering Flanders, and I will help you take Tuscany".

The question is if it will ever actually be useful, given how retarded the AI is with warfare in general. But I'm pretty excited to see how this one turns out.

With alliances and calls to war there are two developments I'd love to see:

1. The AI doesn't bother calling you into a war that it's obviously going to win easily on its own. Especially if the AI is far away and the war will likely be over before you can even get anybody there.

2. When the AI DOES call you into a war and you accept (or vice versa), you actually have to fight a battle or siege something to register as honoring the alliance.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

In my current game I'm a horselord. The starting smaller clans were really rough to begin with. You just got invaded by 3 people at the same time and you all had the same starting army so you lose all your territory and get battered around. So I chose one of the bigger ones, the Yabguid and its been easy street since then. The replenishing horde of all cavalry seems way op but the attrition in tribal lands is absurd too. Trying to take most of the silk road had been fun. Finally encountering the indian subcontinent. I only played there once before as a really old guy who's kingdom devolves into giant rebellions almost instantly

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak posted:

yeah i leave it running when I'm alt-tabbed reading forums at like speed 2 or 3 if I'm not at war and I've already set up all my betrothals etc. Then I can hear popups and go see what happened.

Man speed 2 is what I tend to leave it at when I AM paying attention.

So for playing Vikings, I thinking of going as Eystein Halfdansson of Oppland, head of the Yinglings. Something tells me I'll be doomed since I'm a 1 county minor and there are several stronger powers nearby. But C'mon, this guy's nickname was Eystein Fart according to wikipedia. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So for playing Vikings, I thinking of going as Eystein Halfdansson of Oppland, head of the Yinglings. Something tells me I'll be doomed since I'm a 1 county minor and there are several stronger powers nearby. But C'mon, this guy's nickname was Eystein Fart according to wikipedia. :v:

I generally play at speed 3 unless I'm just waiting for money to accumulate. I mean, I spent most my game trying to claw my way from being a Duke to being a King, and there was a lot of waiting involved. There's not many great marriages available for your relatives when you're a duke.

I don't understand the design choice to have plot strength portrayed as a percentage. If you're going to do that, 100% and above should mean the plot works or is at least attempted. Now that I know it doesn't mean that, I'm less frustraited with it, but I think it's a baffling decision. There's lots of arbitrary numbers that aren't percents, and it could just be another one of those.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well I guess you get to decide, are you going to be wet type or the silent but deadly type? :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Snak posted:

I generally play at speed 3 unless I'm just waiting for money to accumulate. I mean, I spent most my game trying to claw my way from being a Duke to being a King, and there was a lot of waiting involved. There's not many great marriages available for your relatives when you're a duke.

True, there is less going on at that point than when you're the independent (Petty) King of South Wales/King of Wales poking around for marriages, keeping an eye on what everyone else on the islands is doing, and wondering why your second son is suddenly a sodomite and who just had your awesome spymaster murdered. :tinfoil:

Though speaking of spymaster poo poo, next time you find yourself a poo poo-tier duke/count vassal to someone more powerful, try the Intrigue focus.

quote:

I don't understand the design choice to have plot strength portrayed as a percentage. If you're going to do that, 100% and above should mean the plot works or is at least attempted. Now that I know it doesn't mean that, I'm less frustraited with it, but I think it's a baffling decision. There's lots of arbitrary numbers that aren't percents, and it could just be another one of those.

Uh, I thought it had to be over 100% to have a chance to fire? With the higher the % (over 100) the more likely it is to fire? :downs:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

True, there is less going on at that point than when you're the (Petty) King of South Wales/King of Wales poking around for marriages, keeping an eye on what everyone else on the islands is doing, and wondering why your second son is suddenly a sodomite and who just had your awesome spymaster murdered. :tinfoil:

Though speaking of spymaster poo poo, next time you find yourself a poo poo-tier duke/count vassal to someone more powerful, try the Intrigue focus.

Uh, I thought it had to be over 100% to have a chance to fire? With the higher the % (over 100) the more likely it is to fire? :downs:

Yeah I assume that's how it works, but it's not really intuitive.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

to make matters worse it actually only needs 50% to fire, but the MTTH is very low until you get to 100%

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I play at speed 4, but I have almost every event set to pause when it fires. 90% of my gameplay is clicking boxes rather than waiting to click boxes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

I play at speed 4, but I have almost every event set to pause when it fires. 90% of my gameplay is clicking boxes rather than waiting to click boxes.

Oh that's definitely what I want to do.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've made a crusader kings 2 group for anyone that wants to play some multiplayer and whoop my rear end. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CGII

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know for sure this game had multiplayer...

That sounds horribly tedious and maybe super fun.

I've got a lot of midterms this week though, so even though I'll be playing CK2 instead of studying, scheduling multoplayer sounds like something I wont have time for. Maybe over thanksgiving or christmas break I could get into that.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Torrannor posted:

I love your first impressions of playing in 1066 Iberia, because it so closely matches what we all here experienced the first time as well. The CK2 thread was long named "Muslim Clown Car" for a very good reason, I'm glad that you can enjoy the clown car yourself as well.
My first CK2 game was 1066 Leon but I ended up ignoring the Muslim duchies for a long time as I was too busy loving my cousin for Aragon and stabbing my brothers. By the time I remembered they were there, all of them had either turned on each other or got hit by Yazidi revolts so tearing through down to Gibraltar wasn't as bad as it probably should have been.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

When I played in Spain I spent so long screwing around with the Christian realms that by the time I had accomplished my goals I destabilized Christian Spain enough for the Muslims to just march on in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Could always try destabilizing the local caliphate with a well placed :ese:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well yeah but I mean I wasn't thinking long term.

Also it's way easier to :ese: within your own realm

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm essentially roleplaying a shortsighted and greedy dynasty who just wants to rule Iberia and does't care how that comes about. I'm pretty okay with this. I would accomplish my goals more efficiently if I was a more experienced player, but I'm not, so...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Roleplaying your ruler's traits is the funnest way to play.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Just try and get as much personal power as possible at all times without pissing off your vassals. Uncle Nuno wants a title? gently caress him. Zamora countess being bitchy like usual? Who cares, give her nothing and don't let her expand. Also holy warring is a good way to expand your holdings long term. Give the shittier counties to your count vassals, take the timeout penalties on the good places like Grenada, and don't usurp the duchies as you conquer. I kept most everyone at count level until I had almost formed the empire so they couldn't gently caress up the reconquista and held the king titles personally (rather than destroying them or not forming them like with Portugal), eating the opinion hit so I could choke anyone who threatened my authority. You can always destroy them later after you've taken Hispania.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 6, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, generally I'm into roleplaying, but what I really meant was "my ruler's behavior is a direct result of my grasp of the game mechanics and my goals as a player"

I really like that these things reflect each-other.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of my first non disastrous runs was as Navarra. I swallowed up all the smaller Muslims states I could handle. Meanwhile Castille swallowed up all of the other Christian states. I had married my son to the oldest daughter of the king of Castille mostly to help secure our alliance through some light incest. Then somehow all of his sons managed to get themselves killed just before their father keeled over (without me having anything to do with it) and his daughter inherited. Not long after my king also died and now all but the southernmost parts of Iberia were under the control of either Navarra or Castille. A few decades later both of them died and their son suddenly had more than enough land to form an empire.

Somewhere down the line I married my heir to a byzantine princess and then as her son I pressed her claim and when she died a short time later I was suddenly double emperor. This was a while back so there was a lot more bugs, for example I managed to convert the Ecumenical Patriarch to Catholicism which created a strange situation where there were still many Orthodox people around but their head of religion wasn't their religion. Another bug was that provinces tended to randomly turn into wasteland every now and then. Which was a bit annoying.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Am I strange for only having the game running at either speed 5 or paused?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

I would do that except 5 is way too fast on my computer. I'd finish a year in about 30 seconds if no events popped. 4 is fast enough for me to actually pay attention to what is going on.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

I do speed 5 unless I'm in a war I care about, then I drop it to 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So what exactly is the key to conquering Muslim lands as a Catholic ruler and not getting dog piled by every nearby Muslim ruler? I don't mean preventing an eventual Jihad which I assume is inevitable, but just having all of North Africa and southern Iberia dow you when you declare holy war on Mallorca.

• Locked thread