Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Degs posted:

I'm playing this for the first time, the atmosphere and art direction are fantastic and medic / explorer is decently fun.

At what point does it all turn to poo poo?

End game, mostly. It was pretty sparse content-wise and super grindy a year ago and I don't think that's changed much. Also, you are dealing with a community that thinks their game is hardcore and they're super bad rear end, so get ready for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

there were a shitload of ways, but one of the bigger ones, in terms of how many people abused it (including me) was you could buy iron ore from the market at a pretty low price, be an architect and spam metal plates or planks or whatever they were, and vendor them. Your 20 silver investment would turn into like 1.5g or something, and then you just reinvest and do it over and over, getting a bigger and bigger bankroll as you go. I got up to 30 gold or so from doing it sparingly, and at the time I believe Plexx was going for like 5-6g apiece?

I'd quit well before this happened but the economy destroying bug was that seeds, when planted in the player housing garden, would instantly grow to full size rather than requiring time to grow. Because the finished products vendored for a lot more than the seeds, this meant you could literally farm infinite money out of your housing plot. Cue introduction of insane amounts of money to the economy as almost everyone does this, and their inability to stop it or ban the offenders since the offenders were "basically their entire subscriber base". People bought out the entire Auction House, not to mention buying tons of the 30 days subscription items.

No rollback. Week-long bans. Money confiscated, but not the items.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Degs posted:

I'm playing this for the first time, the atmosphere and art direction are fantastic and medic / explorer is decently fun.

At what point does it all turn to poo poo?

There really isn't one single place where everything suddenly becomes unplayably bad. It's more like steadily heaping indignities onto you once you get into the neutral zones -- the zones themselves get more generic and more annoying to traverse, combat starts to take longer because everything becomes an HP sponge, the game throws the lovely, ultra-grimdark and serious "The Strain" plot at you and loses its mild sense of humor. All the worthwhile setting and theme aspects of the game disappear and all that's left is annoying combat in gray and purple deserts.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

The Chairman posted:

There really isn't one single place where everything suddenly becomes unplayably bad. It's more like steadily heaping indignities onto you once you get into the neutral zones -- the zones themselves get more generic and more annoying to traverse, combat starts to take longer because everything becomes an HP sponge, the game throws the lovely, ultra-grimdark and serious "The Strain" plot at you and loses its mild sense of humor. All the worthwhile setting and theme aspects of the game disappear and all that's left is annoying combat in gray and purple deserts.

So, basically, Whitevale?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

So, basically, Whitevale?

Whitevale is bad, but I think Wilderrun is worse over all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just got my character to level 40 and am just focused on the PvP. Its not bad, a lot of people are doing it so the queue pops quickly.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Strangely enough the PVP is the best part of the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Strangely enough the PVP is the best part of the game.

That and your plot of land to put stuff down.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I kinda like that you post this picture as something that should be looked up to.

"Now imagine it on fire"

No problem bud. No problem.

who said it should be looked up to?

also don't princess shame, please, even if you're bitter about being REALLY into wildstar at launch.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I liked Whitevale and Malgrave, but Wilderrun and Grimvault were both pretty humorless and same-y. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for Protostar poo poo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

who said it should be looked up to?

also don't princess shame, please, even if you're bitter about being REALLY into wildstar at launch.

PSO2 is a garbage game for garbage people

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Commissar Budgie posted:

I liked Whitevale and Malgrave, but Wilderrun and Grimvault were both pretty humorless and same-y. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for Protostar poo poo.

Whitevale is where my leveling cratered hard, for some reason they had a large number of kill quests there that only gave you tiny increments on each kill. Felt grindy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

It's on the same level of bad as Wildstar but for different reasons. PSO2 is a bad game stuck in 1999 along with the first PSO.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Commissar Budgie posted:

Whitevale and Malgrave have some interesting set pieces, while the whole of Wilderrun and Grimvault feel like you're sitting on the bus next to a guy who wants to tell you all about the custom D&D campaign universe he came up with

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Whitevale is a pretty bad offender on the "same 'ol grindy quests" front, with several different quests that seem to send you out to same the same dumb monkey mobs you just killed for the dude at the last quest hub. The only thing that it has on the positive side is the sudden transition out of snow into grass-land with Protostar dudes. (I think it is also where you pick up some funny head gear, like the fez from the freebot running the Wizard-of-Oz style con on a robo-cult, and the mind-control squid that talks to you while you wear it.)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Babe Magnet posted:

I wish there was a bad games crew gang tag so people know I don't think the games I play are shining beacons of gaming or whatever

still better than wildstar

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you could always get an anime avatar and then people would just stop taking your opinions on anything seriously lol

though agreed, played it about as long as I played Wildstar (the beta) and PSO2 is way better

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Anoia posted:

She looks sad and malnourished.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

She needs a cupcake.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I got through Whitevale and didn't notice anything notable about it other than the talking squid hat (which was funny for the first minute and then got incredibly annoying for the next hour before I replaced it). The kill quests just encourage you to find bigger mobs that are worth more points, and it's more fun to fight those guys anyway.

That said, I also quit the game during the downtime over the weekend and started playing GW2, so this isn't exactly a recommendation. I just didn't see anything exceptionally wrong with Whitevale.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Most people didn't give a poo poo about whitevale because Wildrun got to be such a loving slog that it overshadowed everything else.

Hell, before they nerfed it in late beta, my levelling strategy was just to sit at one of the zones that's full of the stone tribesman guys, and farm them for the levels I needed, since they dropped rune pieces really frequently. Sitting and grinding the same mobs like it was 2006 was a more pleasurable idea than doing Wildrun as intended.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Is this actually an opinion people have? Everything I've seen of this game is full of grotesque looking caricatures of human life, set in a tepid environment that's both bland and gaudy at the same time. The best parts of the game generally look like they ripped off wow wholesale from 2005, while most of it looks like an unfinished indie game.

But I hear praises about the art all the time. Can one of the fans actually show me something that looks decent?

It reminds me more of Pixar-does-space than orcs-in-space.

WoW art was Metzen's signature art: huge shoulders, huge hands, huge feet, tiny heads, lots of green (in his own words: over-proportioned)

Some of that is preserved in the big stony guys, but for the most part, the influence seems more heavily drawn from 1970s scifi with a bit of Treasure Planet / Atlantis era Disney and obviously a bit of Futurama/Firefly for the space-western/space-so-funny BS. Also big eyed women because thats the thing to do in the 2010s.

More to the point, unlike most MMOs I've played in the last 5 years, it has a consistent art style of its own, rather than a half-assed attempt to make effeminate anime men look badass.

The Chairman posted:

Oh joy. Now I have to decide if I want to watch the transition from light-hearted space romp to...that.

Degs fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 6, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hahaha, wow, the Wildstar community is still terrible. There's a thread on the forum where a guy is complaining that dying armor at max level takes 1-3 plat per slot on the armor, and asks for advice on how to get this crazy amount of money so he can dye his gear. The community response is Wildstar as heck:

quote:

Play the long game. You play MMOs for years, potentially. Play for the community and the fun, try new things and come back to that stuff with the gold you've earned.

quote:

Yea, kind of hard to use FFXI as a bench when it's been cited as one of the worst MMOs ever developed that it's only success point was being driven by the FF IP.

quote:

You're right Jeff, [raiding in wildstar] incredibly simple and easymode for face rollers. in FFXI you couldn't dream of Endgame optimization unless you were literally one of a hand full of players in the most elite guilds. The vast majority of the player base could never hope to optimise their characters because of the sheer resources you needed from Dynamis to craft your relic weapons and armour. The same can be said about many more MMO's then not.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned, but rerolling a few runes and spending a few plat to optimise gear is nothing compared to collecting 30,000 rare raid drops just to start stage one of 5 on a single relic piece.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Degs posted:

It reminds me more of Pixar-does-space than orcs-in-space.

Not enough dakka for that.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hahaha, wow, the Wildstar community is still terrible. There's a thread on the forum where a guy is complaining that dying armor at max level takes 1-3 plat per slot on the armor, and asks for advice on how to get this crazy amount of money so he can dye his gear. The community response is Wildstar as heck:

:psyduck: Man, this dude needs to show us on the doll where Empyrean Weapons touched him

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pretend I wrote a paragraph here about how wrong in the head people are re: grinding content in games == good or something.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I've played pvp since lvl 6 and I've been standing in the main city all this time, never going outside. Had to help a buddy kill an elite mob out in some place somewhere yesterday, and then after that I couldn't find my way back to town. Took me half an hour to get back because I never did the quest chain to get the main city recall skill. God damnit Wildstar.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Degs posted:

More to the point, unlike most MMOs I've played in the last 5 years, it has a consistent art style of its own, rather than a half-assed attempt to make effeminate anime men look badass.

Nothing grinds my gears more than men who do not conform to traditional hyper masculine stereotypes.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Eej posted:

Nothing grinds my gears more than men who do not conform to traditional hyper masculine stereotypes.

:colbert:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Eej posted:

That was exactly the kind of outcry the original blood elf male model got in the burning crusade beta.

Countless guys posted that they loved the goku and sephiroth hair but what if the fact they were so svelte made people think they were g-g-g-gay? :gay:

So they literally buffed the models and that was that. Day saved!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

3 plat isn't exactly hard to get. The game spits money at you once you've hit the elder gem cap for the week. Once you hit elder gem cap all exp gains turn into money gains.

Standing8
Nov 18, 2002
Wake up bitch, you're my new best friend.
So Wildstar bashing aside, are we putting the goonsquad back together?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Standing8 posted:

You need to be a premium subscriber to make a guild thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Standing8 posted:

It doesn't sound like it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

People who can't, for whatever reason, buy Ncoins in-game are being directed by Carbine to buy them from Amazon instead. However, those Amazon codes are set up by NCsoft so that they only can be redeemed if you have at least one active Aion or Lineage II character. So, Carbine's solution: download Aion and make a character there first.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The Chairman posted:

People who can't, for whatever reason, buy Ncoins in-game are being directed by Carbine to buy them from Amazon instead. However, those Amazon codes are set up by NCsoft so that they only can be redeemed if you have at least one active Aion or Lineage II character. So, Carbine's solution: download Aion and make a character there first.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better -- it does.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better -- it does.

From what I saw buying them ingame just directs you to an external browser. This may be a NCSoft problem not a Carbine one.

Carbine on the other hand should answer for making runes so retarded.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wildstar is the best game, but not for the reasons that Carbine wants.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Loose Ifer posted:

You need to be a premium subscriber to make a guild thing.

It's tied to either premium subscribers or people who have spent enough money on the game already, so anyone who was unfortunate enough to buy the game before the F2P transition can make guilds and circles, have more bank tabs, get bonus mounts, etc. automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuai
May 25, 2004
i installed an addon to tell me where to go to quests and now i have 10+ lazer lines shooting out of my character at all times.

• Locked thread