Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Started watching, 23 seconds into the very first video Shadow pumps a SMG like a shotgun and I had to get up and walk around for a minute. I don't think I'm going to survive this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For someone that runs at the speed of sound, you'd think he'd have stronger lungs.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

We've planted our evil seeds and now it's time for us to enjoy the fruits of our labour. Usually that refers to a cozy retirement, but in this case all it means is we get to listen to a bad nu metal song for a few minutes.

Quick note: Apparently the thing with the credits skipping is exclusive to the PS2 version of the game. Make of that what you will, I guess!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Started watching, 23 seconds into the very first video Shadow pumps a SMG like a shotgun and I had to get up and walk around for a minute. I don't think I'm going to survive this.

Um both the thread title and the theme song tell you to hold on for dear life, it's your own fault for not properly preparing yourself for this game.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Why are there only regular guns when you're in the Space Colony Ark, I can't tell if it's :effort: or not since they already have space Ctuthulu guns in game. Also the stage and boss music are remixes from SA2, thanks for reminding me that all the Shadow levels in that game were just extra boring Sonic stages game.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Sega, why did you have to drag Panzer Dragoon into this travesty? :cripes:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Out of all the things to nitpick... why was the White House in Iowa?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well that's not the USA, that's the United Federation, so the Pale Domicile can be wherever it likes.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The events of Sonic Adventure 2 affected the world in many strange ways. This is actually the second White House, since the first one was destroyed in an attack from that moon laser.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bruceski posted:

After Station Square was destroyed by a giant water monster they decided that the east coast wasn't a safe place for the nation's capital anymore.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

ChorpSaway posted:

The events of Sonic Adventure 2 affected the world in many strange ways. This is actually the second White House, since the first one was destroyed in an attack from that moon laser.

I don't think it was blow'd up in SA2. IIRC, Eggman only destroyed NEARLY HALF THE EFFING MOON in his minor display of the ARK's strength.

Maybe the White House had to be moved for weird rating/copyright reasons? Who knows.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Augus posted:

After Station Square was destroyed by a giant water monster they decided that the east coast wasn't a safe place for the nation's capital anymore.

"The only way someone can attack now is by prolonged land war!" "Or by moon laser, sir." "HA! Good one Jenkins!"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'd say Shadow is more Jotaro than Dio overall, what with him trying to be stoic and edgy as hell. Dio's a homoerotic sociopath.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
By the way, you can switch which mission objective is active and which partner you have out with the D-Pad, like left is evil, right is hero, and down is neutral, I I R C.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You'd think Rouge would have more than mild disapproval for the guy murdering a bunch of her coworkers. I like how she just disappeared before the boss fight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

You'd think Rouge would have more than mild disapproval for the guy murdering a bunch of her coworkers. I like how she just disappeared before the boss fight.

Well, you know, those assholes were always stealing her half-and-half. These things happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering that the endings appear to be more or less identical anyway barring the different words between "I am Shadow the Hedgehog!" and "This is who I am!", I'm incredibly disappointed the bad end doesn't end with Shadow karate chopping Sonic and/or Black Doom. They already had the animation and everything. :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Do all end bosses end up in the exact same position breathing heavily?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Do all end bosses end up in the exact same position breathing heavily?

Pretty much, and aside from the Final Story we've already seen every unique boss in the game except one. The remaining paths just reuse those in a slightly different setting occasionally giving them a new attack or means of attacking them.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 7, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the "No, gently caress YOU Dad!" ending. Shadow truly is the embodiment of all angst.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

gently caress off world, I've got guns and a hot chick.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
The idea behind the keys only benefits people who replay the game trying to get all those 400+ dumb 'timeline titles' or trying to get A-ranks (since the items provided by the rooms tend to cut-down the time spent in the level if you don't, say, drive the vehicles off the edge of the level or waste the ammo of the special weapons) because they remain collected on subsequent playthroughs.

But yeah, they're useless otherwise.

Also, I thought maybe you were going to display the credits once and force everyone to sit through all of the different ending songs in a single video. I suppose if anyone really cares they can just look them up, though.

For the lazy, here's a link to the neutral ending's theme.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bruceski posted:

"The only way someone can attack now is by prolonged land war!" "Or by moon laser, sir." "HA! Good one Jenkins!"
This made me laugh hysterically, thank you.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

The idea behind the keys only benefits people who replay the game trying to get all those 400+ dumb 'timeline titles' or trying to get A-ranks (since the items provided by the rooms tend to cut-down the time spent in the level if you don't, say, drive the vehicles off the edge of the level or waste the ammo of the special weapons) because they remain collected on subsequent playthroughs.
Oooh that was the one information I was waiting for to understand how the gently caress the keys would be anything but ludicrously pointless to the biggest pain in the rear end for no pay-off whatsoever! If this game were any good, this would be pretty cool. I continue to hold the opinion that the idea of the multiple paths is brilliant, the execution is the absolute worst possible, though. Like holy poo poo is it bad. "Too bad it's this game", indeed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know about that at all! Maybe opening the door in Westopolis could've been of some help on repeated runthroughs, but we'll never know because I've already finished recording all the footage. v:v:v

Bruceski posted:

If Sonic Adventure 2 and this game are to be believed, then the U.S. government has been privy to the existence of the ARK's particle cannon for decades. They probably could've dismantled it at some point but I guess they just forgot about the state-sized space station that is permanently visible from Earth. :downs:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bruceski posted:

Nevermind the White House, I am pretty sure the map of Mobius shown in game has no geography that corresponds to the Americas.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess I sorta get that they wouldn't want to go through with killing Sonic, but it's not like it's the "True" ending anyway. Why not just go ahead and have him exterminate Sonic? Hell, have him kill Tails and Knuckles too. Maximum edge. If this is going to be terrible, let's go all out.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The thing is Shadow the Hedgehog is 12-year-old edgy. So there are limits to how dark it gets. The arbitrariness of what does and does not cross the line is part of the experience.

For example, Shadow says bad words. Those bad words are entry-level swears like "drat" and "hell", because anything tougher crosses the line.

Shadow murders nameless soldiers and bad guys like Eggman. Good guys, like Sonic, cross the line.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Speaking of arbitrary: Did you know they cut one or two "hell"s out of the game in order to swing the E10+ rating?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Tastee posted:

The thing is Shadow the Hedgehog is 12-year-old edgy. So there are limits to how dark it gets. The arbitrariness of what does and does not cross the line is part of the experience.

For example, Shadow says bad words. Those bad words are entry-level swears like "drat" and "hell", because anything tougher crosses the line.

Shadow murders nameless soldiers and bad guys like Eggman. Good guys, like Sonic, cross the line.

He kills Sonic in the opening though, before you even press start! I guess you could take it that Sonic's dying clutching his chest while passing out because of a totally unrelated thing while Shadow stands over him menacingly, but that really seems like reaching.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

TwoPair posted:

He kills Sonic in the opening though, before you even press start! I guess you could take it that Sonic's dying clutching his chest while passing out because of a totally unrelated thing while Shadow stands over him menacingly, but that really seems like reaching.

I always took that as the aliens having beat the poo poo out of him.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TwoPair posted:

sonic just has heart problems and his pal shadow is very upset that sonic is having a stroke.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It was actually a clever foreshadowing of Sonic getting impaled by that Mephisto guy from 06.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, because what you get when Shadow isn't edgy enough? Syphilis the Hedgehog.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For an omnipotent alien horror, Black Doom sure is chatty. "Do not interfere with our soldiers!" "This is a barrier defense system!" "These humans are so pathetic!" I think there was a solid minute of that mission that was just chained voice clips telling you about various parts of the level.

Also, am I the only one who noticed Shadow sinking into the ground during that first Mission Complete screen?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Well, it is called Central City.

I don't think this is meant to be an exact replica of Earth, just a sort of bizarro Earth. Don't we get a much more comprehensive view of the Sonic world map in the werewolf one? 'America' has the New-York-like called Empire City? I assume this is the same 'country.'

…Although wasn't the President in SA2 in a coastal city? Clearly modeled after San Fransisco? Eh, maybe he was just there to give a campaign speech or something when the Eggman moon laser thing happened. Sonic World's version of 9/11.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Enough loitering in non-loitering zones; it's time for the Hero path! We're going to help eldery women cross the street and help people people pack their groceries into their cars. But fear not! This game has plenty of tricks up its sleeve to prove that Shadow is still a gritty badass while he's doing all this.

I highly recommend watching this episode because it includes two of the most hilarious lines of dialogue in the entire game. These two lines really go to show that whoever wrote this script either didn't care or cared just a little too much.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
After this episode I'm finally getting Sonic X AMVs in my related videos.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Fabulousvillain posted:

After this episode I'm finally getting Sonic X AMVs in my related videos.

Oh good it's not just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
So my guess is that Sonic's line "Welcome To The Next Level" is meant to be a clever nod and wink to longtime SEGA fans, but instead of being impressed, really I'm just sad at what the franchise has become.

• Locked thread