Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

noirstronaut posted:

tweetbot has never been worth anything

Hockenberry?? Is that you????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

You are very committed to making GBS threads all over a Twitter client that I paid less for than I spent on a beer last night.

it's his lovely gimmick in every forum he posts in

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I still haven't figured out how to do lists.
You can only create them via twitter.com - possibly the official app. You can add and remove users from 3PC like Tweetbot.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

ufarn posted:

You can only create them via twitter.com - possibly the official app. You can add and remove users from 3PC like Tweetbot.

iirc I made a few lists with Tweetbot 4 the other day, trying to figure out what I want for the extra iPad space.

Edit: yeah, I just go in, hit "edit" and then the + that appears

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Am I the only person who still uses Echofon?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

hadji murad posted:

it's his lovely gimmick in every forum he posts in

the gently caress? no it's not. tweetbot is just a lovely app.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I the only person who still uses Echofon?

Sup Echofon buddy. I pretty much only use it because it syncs between mac and ios clients and...inertia. They had stopped developing the OS X version for a while but it's alive again for some reason so that's cool.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

the gently caress? no it's not. tweetbot is just a lovely app.

No, it isn't. It's actually a perfect Twitter app for many people's use cases. Such as mine.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I bought sleepCycle the other night and wanted to know from other users if I have to set the alarm every night or if I can just schedule it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unacknowledged posted:

I bought sleepCycle the other night and wanted to know from other users if I have to set the alarm every night or if I can just schedule it.

No, it's a thing you have to launch and press start every night. It does save your last entered time though so it's not a complete start from scratch.

If you want automatic scheduled alarms, use the stock Clock app. I mean I'm sure there's other alarm apps out there that allow ridiculous spergy schedules, but the default app works just fine.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Unacknowledged posted:

You need to set it every night so it knows when you’re actively trying to fall asleep, and from there if estimates when you’re actually asleep from movement, tries to figure out what your REM cycle length is, then wake you up as close to both the end of a REM cycle and your indicated wake up time. I don’t know how well it actually works/if the science is sound since I’ve never stuck with it long enough but enough people anecdotally have reported positive results soooo

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Sleeping apps stopped working so well for me when I started sharing a memory foam bed with my partner.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smr posted:

No, it isn't. It's actually a perfect Twitter app for many people's use cases. Such as mine.

wow opinions

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Sleeping apps stopped working so well for me when I started sharing a memory foam bed with my partner.

I've been using SleepCycle for three years and I'm convinced the "gentle wake" theory and s leep cycles is a complete load of crap.

However I love the poo poo out of SleepCycle's "tap to snooze" feature so I continue to use it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I used SleepCycle for years, but the thing that actually made the largest impact on my quality of sleep was just forcing myself to go to bed early and wake up early enough to give me an hour+ to get ready instead of rushing through the motions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the ever loving gently caress did Google do to the YouTube app UI?

This is some kind of joke right?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Anybody used Been Choice? It's an adblocker that not only has a safari content blocker, but blocks ads from all applications by running everything through their VPN. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Martytoof posted:

What the ever loving gently caress did Google do to the YouTube app UI?

This is some kind of joke right?

I was really wondering how Google could make their already trash YouTube app any worse.

Maybe someone who is more versed in UI dev can correct me, but isn't it a general goal is to maintain the basic navigation of how each site is accessed in both mobile and desktop form? They couldn't be more divergent at this point. Maybe this is an alpha for a future redesign of the whole site, in which case Dailymotion might be getting a second life.

empty baggie posted:

Anybody used Been Choice? It's an adblocker that not only has a safari content blocker, but blocks ads from all applications by running everything through their VPN. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

Don't see this app lasting long. Enjoy while you can? Even if it sticks for any measurable amount of time, either a bigger userbase will slow everything to a crawl, or devs will work around this by requiring apps to only operate once a signed token is received from a server after confirmation that the ad was played (many Android apps do this!).

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 7, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

Don't see this app lasting long. Enjoy while you can? Even if it sticks for any measurable amount of time, either a bigger userbase will slow everything to a crawl, or devs will work around this by requiring apps to only operate once a signed token is received from a server after confirmation that the ad was played (many Android apps do this!).

I was surprised apple accepted this app in the first place. I guess if you get a slot, you can win rewards by not blocking Apps, but the whole thing makes me nervous just by having everything going through their network. It seems to work as advertised, but it does slow loading times down.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

empty baggie posted:

I was surprised apple accepted this app in the first place.

It was by no question but by an error this got through. Apple's not giving up a cent of its iAd revenue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Am I a bad iPhone user for liking the new YouTube app? :shobon:

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Am I a bad iPhone user for liking the new YouTube app? :shobon:

Yes! Why is a quarter of my precious screen estate being taken for useless redspace? I like the swiping between tabs though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I wonder if there is some A/B testing going on...? or are you talking about the iPad version of the YouTube app, because my iPhone version updated yesterday, and looks the same to me.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Been Choice is sketchy as gently caress. It has like surveys and poo poo doesn't it?

If you want a VPN that respects privacy, you can find a ton of paid options out there that make a business of selling you a service rather than selling you (or creating a botnet out of you a la Hola). I use TunnelBear when I go to one of the coffee shops downtown to work; they'll give you 500mb for free and you can Tweet for 1GB more -- and if you need more beyond that, you can buy it for pretty cheap.

maduin fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 7, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastical updated with 3D Touch quick actions: New Event, Show Reminders, and Search.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Look at this BS: http://toucharcade.com/2015/10/07/apple-confirms-purchase-history-removal-is-intentional/

You don't own anything you purchase via an app store, the dev OR the platform owner can take it from you at any time.

gently caress apple.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

wooger posted:

Look at this BS: http://toucharcade.com/2015/10/07/apple-confirms-purchase-history-removal-is-intentional/

You don't own anything you purchase via an app store, the dev OR the platform owner can take it from you at any time.

gently caress apple.

wow it's almost like every other digital sales platform

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There's a pretty radical difference between "you're paying for a conditional license, not perpetual yada-yada" and "if the publisher takes their ball and goes home you can go screw".

The only other example I can think of is when PT became undownloadable on PS4s even though you can usually download the stuff you bought at leisure even if the company behind it no longer exists (Irem.) and the circumstances surrounding that are weird as hell (also Konami went down the pachinko hole so it's not like a blacklisting would mean anything at this point). Also that was one app, not all of them.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I wonder if there is some A/B testing going on...? or are you talking about the iPad version of the YouTube app, because my iPhone version updated yesterday, and looks the same to me.

Force close and reopen the app. Mine looked the same after upgrading, too, until I did that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Legs Benedict posted:

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

killa-pope posted:

Force close and reopen the app. Mine looked the same after upgrading, too, until I did that.

I see the change now, thanks.

Hmmm, not a drastic change? Doesn't affect how I used to use the app that much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I see the change now, thanks.

Hmmm, not a drastic change? Doesn't affect how I used to use the app that much.

I browse by subscriptions and that's now really lovely on the iPad because channels are just tiny circular logos instead of a vertical list with the channel name. It really sucks. The menu that displays the vertical list is also not very good because it's two clicks away and fills the screen.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tuyop posted:

I browse by subscriptions and that's now really lovely on the iPad because channels are just tiny circular logos instead of a vertical list with the channel name. It really sucks. The menu that displays the vertical list is also not very good because it's two clicks away and fills the screen.

Get off the boobtoob and onto twitter and vine man. Have you heard of Tweetbot?

Honestly though, all Google app interaction with iOS leaves a lot to be desired beyond Gmail/Inbox.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Get off the boobtoob and onto twitter and vine man. Have you heard of Tweetbot?

Honestly though, all Google app interaction with iOS leaves a lot to be desired beyond Gmail/Inbox.

How would that be better? I just want to spend fifteen minutes watching some Vice news on Chromecast while I eat lunch. It sounds like via Twitter I'd have to open twitter, find Vice's feed, scroll through all the irrelevant stuff they post including articles, open a video in Safari to take me to the YouTube app, and stream the video to Chromecast. I'm already done my lunch!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Legs Benedict posted:

I agree, that's what I was getting at by "App Store", rather than just the apple App Store.

It's the associated DRM locking and reliance on authentication servers that causes the problem - in a few years it will be impossible to play a bunch of classic iOS games.

I still have consoles from the 90s that work fine. Will an ios5 game still run in even 5 years?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

wooger posted:

I still have consoles from the 90s that work fine. Will an ios5 game still run in even 5 years?

Not a good analogy. You must have done average on the old SAT, no?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

I agree, that's what I was getting at by "App Store", rather than just the apple App Store.

It's the associated DRM locking and reliance on authentication servers that causes the problem - in a few years it will be impossible to play a bunch of classic iOS games.

Honestly, this sounds like a feature to me. You can just let go of these things and get on with your life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Who cares about iOS5 games Jesus Christ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't played super mario bros in 20 years. I could play it because it's out there: I could hunt down hardware or even pirate it and run it in an emulator.

But I don't, because it's an old game and even though I loved it as a kid there's nothing to pull me back and there's lots of new stuff to play anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wooger posted:

I guess don't buy anything with DRM or updateable ever again, I guess?