Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

If someone you know actually shared this, ask them to prove it by buying the same poo poo he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

If someone you know actually shared this, ask them to prove it by buying the same poo poo he did.

I suggested he call around asking about the availability of 4000lbs of ammonium nitrate.

Bonus poo poo he just shared:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

If anyone thinks Obama enjoys getting up on the podium every six months like clockwork to talk about another mass shooting, I got some bad news for them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
These are people who want to claim Vladimir Putin as their mouthpiece. They are not thinking particularly critically.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

darthbob88 posted:

To be fair, some have. The rest are still freaking out at the notion of government just giving people stuff.

Wow, thank you for that link! I'd be curious to see how the program fares at the end of the year. And to happen in such a red state!

I posted that on my page, and on public so all the crazies I have put on my restricted list can see it. Let's see if I can draw in some thread fodder.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VorpalBunny posted:

Wow, thank you for that link! I'd be curious to see how the program fares at the end of the year. And to happen in such a red state!

I posted that on my page, and on public so all the crazies I have put on my restricted list can see it. Let's see if I can draw in some thread fodder.

Utah's reasoning is probably the only way you could hope to sell increased welfare to some people. At the end of the day, it really is just cheaper to keep people healthy and housed. An ounce of prevention, and all that.

Of course, some people are gross as poo poo.

ThanksObama posted:

Nothing is free, I am still having to pay for that lazy person pictured in this article's inability to get off his butt and work with my tax dollars. As far as I am concerned, I'd rather pay the extra 10k so that I can at least take solace in the fact that he would suffer because of his laziness.This makes it too easy, and creates an incentive to do nothing.

:barf:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
so hey, South Carolina got slammed by the flooding after the storm. And in our 24/7 news channel, cell phone enabled social media age, anyone can weigh in on the topic. Even a preacher I know from rear end end Illinois

Take it away Ric

quote:

AS WE PRAY FOR SOUTH CAROLINA, AND FOR THE PEOPLE, I HONESTLY FEEL THEY SHOULD HAVE NOT GIVEN IN TO THE ANTI-CHRIST IN TAKING DOWN THE CONFEDERATE FLAG, THEY SHOULD HAVE STOOD THEIR GROUND AGAINST TYRANNY IN AMERICA, THEY SHOULD HAVE STOOD UP FOR GOD AND NOT MAN, I HONESTLY FEEL THIS FLOOD IS THEIR ANSWER, IN THE JUDGEMENT THEY HAVE PARTICIPATED IN, MEN OF VALOR IN WHOMM GAVE THEIR LIVES OVER TYRANNY, AND STOOD IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST,X HAVE BEEN DISHONOERD, BY THE REMOVEL OF THE CONFEDERATE FLAG, AND THE FALL OF CHRISTIANITY AS WE KNOW IT, IN SOUTH CAROLINA, FOUGHT AGAINST THE BRTISH ARMY, AND THE ORIGINAL CONFEDERATE FLAG STOOD, AS OUR PATRIOT ARMY DIED, TO PROTECT OUR FREEDOM, IF YOU DONT STAND FOR GOD, YOUR LAND WILL BE WASHED AWAY, AS YOU WASHED AWAY YOUR HANDS THAT HAS BEEN BLOODED, FROM OUR FORFATHERS WHO STOOD UP AND FOUGHT AGAINST, ANTI-CHRIST, AMEN,

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

so hey, South Carolina got slammed by the flooding after the storm. And in our 24/7 news channel, cell phone enabled social media age, anyone can weigh in on the topic. Even a preacher I know from rear end end Illinois

Take it away Ric

Uggggghh what a piece of poo poo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Matt Walsh just posted an article that it's fatherless kids that are causing all these school shootings and that's a thing I'm seeing getting shared :shepface:

"abortions are terrible, we should ban them. women should be forced to face the consequences of their actions, and give the kid up for adoption if necessary"

"kids raised in broken homes, without fathers, are a menace to society"

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Take it away Ric

God and Jesus, both well known for supporting the right to own another human being apparently.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheMaskedChemist posted:

God and Jesus, both well known for supporting the right to own another human being apparently.

Well, yes, actually.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Blarghalt posted:

If anyone thinks Obama enjoys getting up on the podium every six monthslike clockwork to talk about another mass shooting, I got some bad news for them.

You're seriously understating things there.

Also, as someone from SC originally, gently caress you for saying God is somehow punishing us for finally doing something right.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Who What Now posted:

Well, yes, actually.

God yes, Jesus I don't recall saying much about the topic at all. Paul said some bullshit, but James the Brother of Jesus also said Paul was an idiot in his epistle soooooooo...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think the idea of Hell is disgusting and would like to think Jesus forgives everyone. But if Hell exists, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Jefferson Davis are there, being eternally gnawed in Satan's three mouths while their men surround them, immersed up to their chins in the frozen waters of Cocytus.

If that offends you, sorry for not being politically correct enough.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Sure is glum for a learned man of the jolly days.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Preacher forgets the entire ending of the Noah story about the goddamn rainbow. Amazing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

Take it away Ric

robotsinmyhead posted:

Preacher forgets the entire ending of the Noah story about the goddamn rainbow. Amazing.

Did God ever say "no-backsies" though?

And if that flood was divine retribution then the apocalypse should be a cake walk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

robotsinmyhead posted:

Gays stole it, breaking the covenant.

(Some people actually believe this)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Keeshhound posted:

thanksobama posted:

Nothing is free, I am still having to pay for that lazy person pictured in this article's inability to get off his butt and work with my tax dollars. As far as I am concerned, I'd rather pay the extra 10k so that I can at least take solace in the fact that he would suffer because of his laziness.This makes it too easy, and creates an incentive to do nothing.

Fried Chicken posted:

Take it away Ric

quote:

AS WE PRAY FOR SOUTH CAROLINA, AND FOR THE PEOPLE, I HONESTLY FEEL THEY SHOULD HAVE NOT GIVEN IN TO THE ANTI-CHRIST IN TAKING DOWN THE CONFEDERATE FLAG, THEY SHOULD HAVE STOOD THEIR GROUND AGAINST TYRANNY IN AMERICA, THEY SHOULD HAVE STOOD UP FOR GOD AND NOT MAN, I HONESTLY FEEL THIS FLOOD IS THEIR ANSWER, IN THE JUDGEMENT THEY HAVE PARTICIPATED IN, MEN OF VALOR IN WHOMM GAVE THEIR LIVES OVER TYRANNY, AND STOOD IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST,X HAVE BEEN DISHONOERD, BY THE REMOVEL OF THE CONFEDERATE FLAG, AND THE FALL OF CHRISTIANITY AS WE KNOW IT, IN SOUTH CAROLINA, FOUGHT AGAINST THE BRTISH ARMY, AND THE ORIGINAL CONFEDERATE FLAG STOOD, AS OUR PATRIOT ARMY DIED, TO PROTECT OUR FREEDOM, IF YOU DONT STAND FOR GOD, YOUR LAND WILL BE WASHED AWAY, AS YOU WASHED AWAY YOUR HANDS THAT HAS BEEN BLOODED, FROM OUR FORFATHERS WHO STOOD UP AND FOUGHT AGAINST, ANTI-CHRIST, AMEN,

:stare: there is always more, and it is always worse.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
As we pray for help, don't forget to hate too.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Guavanaut posted:

Gays stole it, breaking the covenant.

(Some people actually believe this)

Gays tried to bring back the Rainbow, but the preacher didn't want to hear it, thereby ignoring God and inciting a flood. QED or whatever.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

That is staggering. A conservative would rather needless government waste than to help someone poor who is suffering. It's like his only ideology is sociopathy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fried Chicken posted:

Take it away Ric

I enjoy the continued evolution of what the Confederate flag means. It's about Southerner pride! It's a symbol of fighting authority (that might tell you to stop literally owning other human beings)! Now it's literally a Christian symbol, Jesus weeps when states stop waving it. When Constantine looked at the sky, he saw the words "In Hoc Signo Vinces", and below it the Stars 'n Bars. The Shroud of Turin is believed to be Jesus' personal Confederate flag he brought with him to his crucifixion. I pray every night to Jefferson Davis that he might send his son Jesus back to us. Amen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That is staggering. A conservative would rather needless government waste than to help someone poor who is suffering. It's like his only ideology is sociopathy.

These people grew up on some Grasshopper and the Ant fanfic where not only does the Grasshopper starve to death at the end but the Ant gets to hunt him for sport and eats his flesh.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

"Leave the guns out of the discussion about mass shootings"

I'm also fairly worried about what she means by "identification" and "monitoring"... if we're not regulating gun use are we just keeping a list of everyone who's received mental health treatment? :ohdear:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm also fairly worried about what she means by "identification" and "monitoring"... if we're not regulating gun use are we just keeping a list of everyone who's received mental health treatment? :ohdear:

hm yeah let's have the government track and force angry resentful anti-government white men into psychiatric treatment without disarming them first this sounds like an excellent plan

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

PUGGERNAUT posted:

"Leave the guns out of the discussion about mass shootings"

If you read that backwards it would be someone who missed the point so much. As it's written now it's just stupidity.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The most humane way to "identify" mentally ill people, beyond the current avenues, is to have the police check the mental health status of people that they arrest, especially drug offenders.

I'm not sure if I trust the police to do a good job with that, but I'm also pretty sure that conservatives would oppose it on the grounds that you're just letting criminals FAKE BEING SICK to get out of jail and go to a POSH COUNTRY CLUB MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY (that exists only in their minds).

As it happens, my first referral to mental health services was from the police. But I was a pretty obvious case.

e: I think the K-12 and University systems have a role to play here, but I think universities already actually do a lot, and with this issue I trust K-12 administrators even less than I trust the police.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 6, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mellow Seas posted:

The most humane way to "identify" mentally ill people, beyond the current avenues, is to have the police check the mental health status of people that they arrest, especially drug offenders.

they do, when you get processed and booked you talk to a psych. all you have to do is lie to that person

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

KiteAuraan posted:

God yes, Jesus I don't recall saying much about the topic at all. Paul said some bullshit, but James the Brother of Jesus also said Paul was an idiot in his epistle soooooooo...

Jesus only speaks of slavery in a parable illustrating what he expected of his followers, both the apostles and those they convert in preparation for his return.

Luke 12:35-48 posted:

35 “Be dressed in readiness, and keep your lamps lit. 36 Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks. 37 Blessed are those slaves whom the master will find on the alert when he comes; truly I say to you, that he will gird himself to serve, and have them recline at the table, and will come up and wait on them. 38 Whether he comes in the [p]second watch, or even in the third, and finds them so, blessed are those slaves.

39 “But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have allowed his house to be broken into. 40 You too, be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour that you do not expect.”

41 Peter said, “Lord, are You addressing this parable to us, or to everyone else as well?” 42 And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time? 43 Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. 44 Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 45 But if that slave says in his heart, ‘My master will be a long time in coming,’ and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk; 46 the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers. 47 And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48 but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

So Jesus, like most people of the time, probably saw nothing wrong with slavery as an institution even if he would not support cruel treatment of slaves.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Who What Now posted:

Jesus only speaks of slavery in a parable illustrating what he expected of his followers, both the apostles and those they convert in preparation for his return.

So Jesus, like most people of the time, probably saw nothing wrong with slavery as an institution even if he would not support cruel treatment of slaves.

To be fair to Jesus, the slavery of his time was nothing like the chattel slavery of the United States.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

they do, when you get processed and booked you talk to a psych. all you have to do is lie to that person

I didn't know this. The screening must be pretty lovely because I got arrested while pretty in-your-face manic once and they just let me out six hours later with a court date.

I just wish people would suggest SOME kind of policy when they say "address mental health" because it's been almost three years of people saying that and still literally nobody has said what they meant by it. The obvious conclusion is that no one actually cares about mental health, but a paranoid part of me starts imagining getting loaded into a cattle car. And I know that isn't a popular opinion, but I also know there are literally millions of people who consider putting us in camps to be a preferable alternative to having to register their gun or go through the indignity of a background check at a gun show.

Hell, not that I want to even have a gun, but I wouldn't be very okay with a situation where the lunatics on freep can have guns, just because they don't have diagnoses, when I can't, after six years straight of taking my medication and being a contributing member of society.

Why doesn't somebody just say "no more co-pays for Mellow Seas!" and make me feel better about the whole thing?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

I didn't know this. The screening must be pretty lovely because I got arrested while pretty in-your-face manic once and they just let me out six hours later with a court date.

I just wish people would suggest SOME kind of policy when they say "address mental health" because it's been almost three years of people saying that and still literally nobody has said what they meant by it. The obvious conclusion is that no one actually cares about mental health, but a paranoid part of me starts imagining getting loaded into a cattle car. And I know that isn't a popular opinion, but I also know there are literally millions of people who consider putting us in camps to be a preferable alternative to having to register their gun or go through the indignity of a background check at a gun show.

Hell, not that I want to even have a gun, but I wouldn't be very okay with a situation where the lunatics on freep can have guns, just because they don't have diagnoses, when I can't, after six years straight of taking my medication and being a contributing member of society.

Why doesn't somebody just say "no more co-pays for Mellow Seas!" and make me feel better about the whole thing?

In addition, a large part of the ability to restrict firearms based on mental health is in the courts' hands, courts that gun nuts distrust because they're an arm of the government. The laws are in place in several states that restrict someone from getting a gun but they have to be diagnosed and court ordered first before they get added to any kind of mental health database.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Mellow Seas posted:

I get the same feeling from a lot of these "address mental health, but not guns" people. I want to be like "hey, I've got clinical depression and take SSRIs, do you want to lock me up?" but at the same time the stigmas they're reinforcing make me want to not tell anyone ever that I've gotten treatment.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I get the same feeling from a lot of these "address mental health, but not guns" people. I want to be like "hey, I've got clinical depression and take SSRIs, do you want to lock me up?" but at the same time the stigmas they're reinforcing make me want to not tell anyone ever that I've gotten treatment.

That's also part of the problem - the stigma of getting mental health treatment. Every other illness, even a birth defect, is seen by the majority of people as something out of your control. But if you have brain problems you're seen as hysterical if you're a woman and not man enough if you're a guy and don't just put your head down and bull your way through it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PUGGERNAUT posted:

it's bullshit cover. they don't actually have a plan, they just want to point the finger at the vague specter of craziness. most mass shooters do not have a documented psych problem, but if you operate on the common folk assumption that 'killing people is crazy' then ipso facto all mass shooters are nuts. let's not think about what this implies about people who want to carry guns around to shoot bad guys. let's also not think about how plans to 'address mental health' tally up to a vague assertion that the government needs to expand healthcare coverage and increase control over people in state custody, as well as make it easier to place people in state custody against their will, because this is a perfectly reasonable solution coming from people who otherwise feel like they need to stockpile arms in case the big-spending government tries to place them in state custody against their will

in short anyone who says "guns aren't the problem, mental health is the problem" are idiots and liars. guns AND mental health are the problem, as well as a culture of fear and sense of violent retributive entitlement among men.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Here's the other issue, what if the kind of people that do this kind of thing aren't really diagnosable.

We don't apply this logic to other crimes, we don't look at shoplifters and conclude that the problem is mental illness, we don't look at rapists and conclude the problem is mental illness.

I'm not saying they'd show up as 100% normal in every way, but what if they're completely sane, completely rational people who feel alienated from society, are angry about that, feel like they're victims and feel like violence is the right solution?

Mental health just seems like such a cop-out. I think for most of these mass shootings, if you magically intervened a week early, there'd be no way to distinguish them from a huge number of other angry, alienated gun owners who are otherwise law abiding citizens; good guys with guns.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's bullshit cover. they don't actually have a plan, they just want to point the finger at the vague specter of craziness. most mass shooters do not have a documented psych problem, but if you operate on the common folk assumption that 'killing people is crazy' then ipso facto all mass shooters are nuts. let's not think about what this implies about people who want to carry guns around to shoot bad guys. let's also not think about how plans to 'address mental health' tally up to a vague assertion that the government needs to expand healthcare coverage and increase control over people in state custody, as well as make it easier to place people in state custody against their will, because this is a perfectly reasonable solution coming from people who otherwise feel like they need to stockpile arms in case the big-spending government tries to place them in state custody against their will

in short anyone who says "guns aren't the problem, mental health is the problem" are idiots and liars. guns AND mental health are the problem, as well as a culture of fear and sense of violent retributive entitlement among men.

* require permits for all guns. You must keep the permit renewed or sell your gun.
* Require psych evaluations and to obtain and renew gun permits. Allow temporary waivers for exigent circumstances like stalkers.
* You can only purchase guns in a small window of time directly following your eval.
* Permits require gun safety education that includes the moral, legal, and fiscal repercussions of using deadly force.
* If you pass someone's eval and they mass murder then your practice gets an in depth audit to rule out rubber stamping.
* If you're caught rubber stamping then you're an accomplice to the crime.
* If you own a gun and your child goes on a rampage with it, you are an accomplice to the crime.

But who are we kidding. We can't even close the gun show background check loophole. Heaven forbid we inconvenience a future gun owner even a little bit.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Just World. The homeless are rightly suffering for their laziness, and eliminating their punishment would be thwarting justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I feel like the same people who refuse to accept "you have no idea what it's like to be homeless" are the same people who would then turn around and say "You have no idea what it's like to be a police officer" if you criticize policing.