Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkj4XqaynU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
let's learn some more about the parrot, a friend to you and me

just like us, some parrots care about their health

but that doesn't stop them from being gourmands

there are many famous parrot movies

rumors of a nefarious budgie cabal are unfounded and not ever true and you shouldn't talk about them

we know where u live mate

u can never hide

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n8fn7k9NiE

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOt0a_c4e2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLwGfoybuPw

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Only bird I ever had was a pet bantam house chicken who would lay eggs in my lap

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Only bird I ever had was a pet bantam house chicken who would lay eggs in my lap
Despite having had parrots around me almost all my life, the idea of a house chicken still strikes me as the most adorably bizarre thing :3:

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
This thread makes me want to get a cockatoo or a crow but I doubt it would get along with my dog.

Bird q: Why do birds do such spastic jerky movements when not doing anything? When they're hopping around they move at normal speed but when they're just looking around they jerk so fast you can barely see them move.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I have a 24 yr old conure. He's an rear end in a top hat (see also: terrorist) to everyone but me.

I don't have many pictures of him because he hates having his picture taken. If he sees you aim anything in his general direction, he turns into a ball of rage. He kisses me on the lips tho :3

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Stupid Baby posted:

This thread makes me want to get a cockatoo or a crow but I doubt it would get along with my dog.

Bird q: Why do birds do such spastic jerky movements when not doing anything? When they're hopping around they move at normal speed but when they're just looking around they jerk so fast you can barely see them move.
Cockatoos are basically shrieking, destructive, very intelligent 3 year olds. I would say most experienced parrot owners can't even handle one ideally in terms of its mental health and needs, they are hard birds. Befriend someone with a juvenile one though because for the first couple years all they want to do is cuddle and that part is pretty great.

I THINK I read that the movements have something to do with being prey animals. Like it's tied into why pigeons bob their heads or something? But I'm probably half-remembering some old National Geographic article.

Millie posted:

I don't have many pictures of him because he hates having his picture taken. If he sees you aim anything in his general direction, he turns into a ball of rage. He kisses me on the lips tho :3
Dang that is an old man conure :3: Judah the cockatiel is affectionate as hell but he harbors a deep distrust of anything in my hands and that includes cameras so catching him in a way that isn't a blur or an angry :derptiel: right in the lens is difficult.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Tendai posted:

Despite having had parrots around me almost all my life, the idea of a house chicken still strikes me as the most adorably bizarre thing :3:

She imprinted on humans. They're flock animals, so we were her flock. I'll dig up a pic of her sometime

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
This sounds strange but she was actually a really beautiful chicken. Look up "bantam Belgian d'uccle Mille fleur"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The thousand flowered chickens of d'uccle?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

This sounds strange but she was actually a really beautiful chicken. Look up "bantam Belgian d'uccle Mille fleur"
Oh hey, chickam lady has some of those or had I think. I remember seeing them. They are pretty chickens :3: Just, house-chicken still makes me giggle.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the husband is glad that the wife spends the whole day yelling at the bird instead of him

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

VendaGoat posted:

Yes :3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Stupid Baby posted:

Their eyes are on the side of their head so to fix distances they have to move their heads around. They do it quickly so the things they're thinking about haven't moved much in between images so they can get a better idea of how close or how far something is. They keep doing it to stay updated. A content or focused or moving birdie doesn't do that any more for the obvious reasons.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Stupid Baby posted:

Best starter bird is cockateil because it is a good bird but doesn't live forever and doesn't require a day care center to not be depressed. It might not get along with your dog though. Also it might decide it loves your dog and wants to be with it forever.

Get two birds at once wherever possible IMO because it gives them something to do when you aren't interested in giving them something to do, even if it's squabble it's still something to keep them occupied.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

They're spotty

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Best starter bird is cockateil because it is a good bird but doesn't live forever and doesn't require a day care center to not be depressed. It might not get along with your dog though. Also it might decide it loves your dog and wants to be with it forever.
Cockatiels are definitely lower maintenance parrots and also they're adorably dumb about everything except for the things that they're creepily smart about.

They are also very flirtatious. Judah would like you to come into the bedroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12b-t_aZwMA

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
are cockateils or budgies easier

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
depends how many drinks you get in to them

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

depends how many drinks you get in to them

:rimshot:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

are cockateils or budgies easier

Budgies but they're basically bugs or fish

Most of them anyway.

A cockateil is a cool animal with a personality. Try to pick the one that is looking around at things and thinking about stuff instead of the one with the best feathers.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 6, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7D-1RG-VRk

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a cockatiel that loved looking under the couches and through the cracks on the deck. She was really meticulous about it when it was time to do that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cockateils will dutifully sing you pretty songs* if they are male and appreciatively listen to you whistle if they are female.

*By cockatiel standards

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
budgies have a kinda weird beak that sits flat on their face, and sound like cheap tape recorders when they imitate speech

it is super cute

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Budgies are pretty cool. My first pet that was "mine" as a kid were two budgies named Larry Bird and Chiquita, who in turn begat two paralyzed children named Helicopter and Pegleg, the latter of whom lived for years and then passed away overnight in his food dish, eating :911:

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Onkel Hedwig posted:

You mean how a cat can use its tail as a propeller? I don't know man.

Holy poo poo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I like birds a lot but a cockatoo seems like some kind of house demon to me and if they could reproduce in the wild here we'd surely be paying someone to exterminate them in droves. They're never like sweet or chilling out, they're always on a meth fueled tearassin ramapage

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sheep-Goats posted:

Their eyes are on the side of their head so to fix distances they have to move their heads around. They do it quickly so the things they're thinking about haven't moved much in between images so they can get a better idea of how close or how far something is. They keep doing it to stay updated. A content or focused or moving birdie doesn't do that any more for the obvious reasons.

Basically, yeah. It's about depth perception, which only occurs in a much narrow portion of the vision for animals with eyes on the side of their heads, which are mostly prey animals. The eye placement means they can see more things at once, but sacrifice some of that binocular vision. Animals with eyes on the front of the head (mostly predators, like cats and humans) have better binocular vision, but have to move their heads to see more of what is surrounding them.

If I recall correctly it's also something to do with birds seeing more frames per second, so to speak, with their eyes, so they can get more information from a shorter glance, where a human would have to stare at it for a bit longer to take it in. Basically a film that a regular human sees as being a single moving image will appear to many birds as a series of still images. I know it's been studied in pigeons specifically (pigeons can actually do a lot of cool poo poo to do with visualising and mentally manipulating 2D and 3D objects) but I'm pretty sure it's a feature of other birds too.

Also, the main idea for why birds are so good at navigation is agreed to be partly to do with magnetoceptors, at least in some birds. Flying birds (again, like pigeons) can use landmarks, but even in the dark or at night or over very long distances they can find magnetic north. Ground-dwelling birds that roam over a great area of land, like chickens, can do it too. Another theory was that they used the sun to navigate (and were somehow able to see it through clouds on cloudy days, and gently caress trying to get a chicken to do ANYTHING at night so it was hard to test if they could navigate well at night). But then some scientists tried sticking birds that might have used this technique in an enclosed setting and they were still able to do it... Until they put them in an enclosure where they hosed with the magnetic fields, and lo and behold all the birbs got lost and confused. And (again if I'm remembering it right) if you hosed with the enclosure so it thought north was south and vice versa, suddenly all the birbs would start trying to navigate very confidently in reverse. (This was with migratory birbs if I'm remembering correctly.)

Sticking birbs in test rooms and loving with them was also how it was confirmed that a bunch of little cave birbs called oilbirds did in fact use echolocation for navigation in the dark, and not just really really really good eyes like owls.

ahhhhh I love birb science

Most of these are covered in one way or another in Bird Sense by Tim Birkhead and other "What are birds? We just don't know" books, which is my favourite genre of books.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Seriously homing pigeons are amazing, my neighbour Back Home has a bunch of pigeons and he takes them to uhhh Rockhampton?? and lets them fly back home, either way about 5 hour's drive away from their home, and they get back home safe and sound all on their own. And they come when he calls them and go into their carrying cages on command and some of them even answer to their names. They are trained better than some dogs I know. It is pretty impressive for something with a brain the size of a small peanut.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had a cockatiel that loved looking under the couches and through the cracks on the deck. She was really meticulous about it when it was time to do that.

My mom's conure does that a lot. He loves crawling into tight spaces like the sleeve of my shirt or the couch cushions.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

My mom's conure does that a lot. He loves crawling into tight spaces like the sleeve of my shirt or the couch cushions.

My dad's sparrow (:kimchi:) loved doing that. Squeezing behind wardrobes and even under the fridge once :psyduck: And then she'd forget how to get out (because sparrow) and we'd have to poke her out with a ruler.

Fucken birbs

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I like birds a lot but a cockatoo seems like some kind of house demon to me and if they could reproduce in the wild here we'd surely be paying someone to exterminate them in droves. They're never like sweet or chilling out, they're always on a meth fueled tearassin ramapage

theyre so like us which is why people like them

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this thread is fantastic but now youtube thinks i'm some kind of extreme bird fan

• Locked thread