Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

DaveKap posted:

Two problems with this that more or less make the game feel inconsistent on this point.
1: They can teach/brainwash a man over 9 years to literally think, act, and be Big Boss down to even having his memories but... learning another language? NAAAAH.
2: He actually speaks a few lines of various languages that aren't English. Wish I could remember when and where but I remember hearing a line or two and thinking "uhhh I thought he couldn't do that anymore?"

Hey random thought. Does Solid Snake ever actually meet the Big Boss who is commanding him in Metal Gear 1 before the mission starts? If so, boy, how did he not notice the metal hand and forehead Paz-chunk on the guy he ended up killing?

Hey, another random thought. If that is a chunk of Paz in his forehead, does that mean he always has... peace... in mind?

Solid Snake was personally trained by Big Boss in FOXHOUND. That's where he learned CQC and then immediately refused to use it after the events of MG1 & 2. It's funny that by filling one plot hole (how does Snake kill Big Boss twice?) they open another one (how would Snake not realize Big Boss was really Venom in Outer Heaven?). You can argue that the prosthetic could be covered up, but the scars and horn are a dead giveaway, especially to someone like Snake. There's the possibility that plastic surgery got better in the 90's, but the final cutscene of Mission 46 implies Venom's appearance hadn't changed even up to Operation N313. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I expect if pressed, Kojima would explain the resolution of the sprites wasn't high enough for Snake to recognize the horn and prosthetic.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

zedprime posted:

I expect if pressed, Kojima would explain the resolution of the sprites wasn't high enough for Snake to recognize the horn and prosthetic.

Lol ya.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Details about today's update: http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=22663.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Antti posted:

He can suddenly speak fluent Kikongo when addressing Eli in White Mamba.

That or he practiced "You're the white mamba, right" on his way to the AO because it's one line and could be useful.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He speaks English in White Mamba if you don't have a Kikongo translator/speaker

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Amorphous Blob posted:

What I liked about Sutherland was how he sounds like he's trying to settle into the role much like Venom needed time to become Big Boss. Metacommentary and yadda yadda

I got this as well, but it just makes me sad that they didn't have Hayter do Ishmael. Would have added a really cool layer of meaning onto the whole thing.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I got this as well, but it just makes me sad that they didn't have Hayter do Ishmael. Would have added a really cool layer of meaning onto the whole thing.

I agree, though there is no noise Hayter could make that would not give him away immediately. I could recognize the sound of Hayter's butt cheeks slapping together; that's how distinct he is.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

the event fobs sound interesting, i bet they'll have all kinds of story stuff in it, that first one sounds like it anywho. half expecting an eli fob raid now and the fact that nuke resources and dev are completely online based now means we're one step closer to unlocking that loving chapter 2 ending.

lol FOB insurance. gently caress you. wonder if they'll have ocelot doing the ads.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

The auto sniper can now go to grade 7

i am salivating

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Luna Was Here posted:

The auto sniper can now go to grade 7

i am salivating

the grade list menu seems to go up to 8 on pc (i remember reading on consoles you could only see up to 6) so expect another update at some point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

i bet they'll have all kinds of story stuff

The first one is literally just a regular FOB with a unique emblem on its soldiers and things and there's zero story at all and the nuclear ending probably isn't legitimately in the game the lip synching isn't even finished on it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the best bit of this update "Infiltrate without leaving a trace!
If you avoid being spotted by enemies, and refrain from killing/extracting staff and damaging/extracting containers and equipment, you can now play all the way through an FOB infiltration without the rival player being notified."

yes! i might actually give it a go now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Aurain posted:

The first one is literally just a regular FOB with a unique emblem on its soldiers and things and there's zero story at all and the nuclear ending probably isn't legitimately in the game the lip synching isn't even finished on it.

it is finished. the lip synching was finished. what you are refering to is the bit where there is obvious voice over during the part they are staring out into the sun. it's a common comment i keep seeing people bring up and it's really weird no one can tell that bit is meant to be complete voice over.

oh and bits from that scene are in the "coming up in chapter 2" stinger that plays at the end of chapter 1 too. it's a finished scene that is obviously meant to only unlock through these events, the code for the scene requiring server side numbers of nukes and this update making nukes server side and the fact they keep trying to remove that scene from youtube all the time but nothing else tells you as much.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 6, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ThomasPaine posted:

That would have revealed the twist immediately, even if you hadn't even played the game yet. No "SPOILER WARNING* in a thread title or post is going to make people not immediately get what's coming when preceded by "Kojima got us again. Hatter actually IS in MGSV".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

it is finished. the lip synching was finished. what you are refering to is the bit where there is obvious voice over during the part they are staring out into the sun. it's a common comment i keep seeing people bring up and it's really weird no one can tell that bit is meant to be complete voice over.

It keeps coming up because it's not worded as if it's a voice over but does sound like it's Miller talking to Big Boss after leaving the med bay, which is precisely what they are doing in the cutscene.

Like, maybe if no one else can tell that it's meant to be a voice over and everyone else thinks it's not synched up properly, that's probably a decent sign that one of the viewpoints is likely a bit wonky.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Aurain posted:

It keeps coming up because it's not worded as if it's a voice over but does sound like it's Miller talking to Big Boss after leaving the med bay, which is precisely what they are doing in the cutscene.

Like, maybe if no one else can tell that it's meant to be a voice over and everyone else thinks it's not synched up properly, that's probably a decent sign that one of the viewpoints is likely a bit wonky.

there is like 10 people who can't tell its voice over. it's a moot point anyway at the moment and only time will tell which one of us will come back and yell "toldya so!"

also that konami manager guy said on twitter it was real and was surprised people unlocked it so quick (until he realised it was through modding only)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 6, 2015

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Shoren posted:

Solid Snake was personally trained by Big Boss in FOXHOUND. That's where he learned CQC and then immediately refused to use it after the events of MG1 & 2. It's funny that by filling one plot hole (how does Snake kill Big Boss twice?) they open another one (how would Snake not realize Big Boss was really Venom in Outer Heaven?). You can argue that the prosthetic could be covered up, but the scars and horn are a dead giveaway, especially to someone like Snake. There's the possibility that plastic surgery got better in the 90's, but the final cutscene of Mission 46 implies Venom's appearance hadn't changed even up to Operation N313. :iiam:

It's also likely that Solid/everyone else really weren't aware that venom was a separate individual as that was kind of the point of the plan no? What are the chances Solid hadn't seen BB in some time at that point or even just that Venom was wearing a glove over the hand like Anakin Skywalker to disguise the injury? It seems like the two big bosses would have to put some effort into making people believe they were the same person aside from just never being in the same room.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

the best bit of this update "Infiltrate without leaving a trace!
If you avoid being spotted by enemies, and refrain from killing/extracting staff and damaging/extracting containers and equipment, you can now play all the way through an FOB infiltration without the rival player being notified."

yes! i might actually give it a go now.

Pretty sure this doesn't actually work yet. I tried this just now and had a defender show up even though I didn't even trigger one of the white "interest" bars.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

When people say the MGS3 support team forming the Patriots was like this big shark jumping moment I think to myself, there is a person who did not use the codec very often.

I mean, Zero, Sigint, Naomi, that all makes sense. What makes absolutely no sense to me at all is why/how EVA came back. That is dumbest poo poo and shits all over then ending of Snake Eater.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Snak posted:

I mean, Zero, Sigint, Naomi, that all makes sense. What makes absolutely no sense to me at all is why/how EVA came back. That is dumbest poo poo and shits all over then ending of Snake Eater.

I think its assumed they joined because Big Boss joined.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

I think its assumed they joined because Big Boss joined.

Again, does not make sense with the ending of Snake Eater. EVA plays Big Boss like a drat fiddle, and just like, comes back and says "my bad, ur idea is better ima join you"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
To be fair, he later saves her life in Hanoi and she was clearly in love with Big Boss anyway. Moreover, since she had been thrown out by the Chinese for failing to acquire the real Legacy, getting an invite to join the winning side must have been nice.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Snak posted:

Again, does not make sense with the ending of Snake Eater. EVA plays Big Boss like a drat fiddle, and just like, comes back and says "my bad, ur idea is better ima join you"

Except Ocelot played both of them. EVA ends up with the fake data, loses her job and disappears. It makes sense that at some point she'd go looking for it again and get sucked into Patriots drama.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The five word answer is she's in love with Snake.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Donnerberg posted:

Except Ocelot played both of them. EVA ends up with the fake data, loses her job and disappears. It makes sense that at some point she'd go looking for it again and get sucked into Patriots drama.
It's pretty heavily suggested she was on the run for her life after the Chinese got bamboozled, and that Snake probably saved her in Hanoi. At that point what else does she have? She'd be crazy not to throw in with Big Boss and whoever he was rolling with at the time.

He kinda ditched her again after the LET thing, but maybe the real Big Boss hooked up with her again at some point? I mean, she somehow got his bike.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The temporary color loss in Chapter 51 seemed to come out of nowhere for me, but I replayed Awakening to show my girlfriend, and there's a part where he suffers the same temporary color blindness after suffering an injury. The blood on Venom appeared to be black and the fire in the background was white.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The temporary color loss in Chapter 51 seemed to come out of nowhere for me, but I replayed Awakening to show my girlfriend, and there's a part where he suffers the same temporary color blindness after suffering an injury. The blood on Venom appeared to be black and the fire in the background was white.

Your colors get hosed up whenever you receive a serious injury. There's some dialogue with Ocelot somewhere in the first couple missions, or maybe his briefing tapes, that covers this.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yeah, mission 51 is also an incomplete draft. They could've intended to use the 'serious injury' filter during the shoot-out, with the critical health siren and everything, for all we know. What's there is just palette swapped models right now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Well gently caress I'm trying MGO and I can't get into a single match. Keeps saying 'searched match can't be found'. Oh good. I hope they fix it soon because it looks like good fun.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

acksplode posted:

Your colors get hosed up whenever you receive a serious injury. There's some dialogue with Ocelot somewhere in the first couple missions, or maybe his briefing tapes, that covers this.

I never noticed this because I never sustained any serious injuries. :smug:

I just died a lot.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

acksplode posted:

Y'know I somehow missed that connection and just assumed it was Call of Duty style red screen.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The color change is different from the screen going red. One time I jumped off mother base and got a critical injury. After I pressed the button to give myself first aid, the blood on my face was blue and other such things

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So in the first mission Ocelot says I can place markers while looking at stuff through my scope or camera.

There's no camera item in the game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's no Octacon either, your copy of the game must be really weird!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There's no Octacon either, your copy of the game must be really weird!

Is Octacon the codename of Decoy Octopus pretending to be Otacon? Like "Liquid Ocelot"?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

After finishing MGS1 and 2 almost immediately after playing V, its incredible how well the plot fits together. I genuinely expected it to be awkward and kinda funky but I have to say, very impressed.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

What I liked about Sutherland was how he sounds like he's trying to settle into the role much like Venom needed time to become Big Boss. Metacommentary and yadda yadda
Did nobody play Ground Zeroes?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah, idk if its intentional or not but Sutherland talks a lot when it's actually Naked Snake/BB in the tapes or in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

he still talks more than eli ever did. i was far more surprised that little poo poo says nothing pretty much until the final scene he is in unless i missed something. that said, probably for the best since it would be mostly whining. it was loving hilarious how whenever poo poo went wrong on motherbase you'd see eli pop up out of nowhere and stare you down. or off in the distance, looking. watching. lol

• Locked thread