Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

mastajake posted:

The best was the fan pic of the night king and the ice woman with Jaime and Brienne photoshopped in the background.

Here you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Help. Deviantart alert

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Solice Wind makes me think of farts. Farts are funny. I'll allow this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kcroy posted:

I'm also predicting a minimum of 8 books. I don't see this resolved in 7 books.

You know there's like, no legal limit on how long a book needs to be

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know there's like, no legal limit on how long a book needs to be

Physical binding limits. There are only so many pages you can bind together.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saeka posted:

Here you go!

Contributing to this is still in my Top 1 greatest achievements list.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PlantHead posted:

Font size 4

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Preston Jacob's latest video deals with the question of why certain Targaryens seemingly have the ability to hatch dragon eggs while others don't, he approaches the question by trying to apply 19th century genetics to the question and assumes that the genes for hatching and riding dragons are only contained in the X chromosome. It's really stupid, does he really think Lord-can't-be-arsed-to-remember-the-gender-of-a-horse actually sat there and made detailed hereditary charts for dragon-related genetic traits? though if GRRM actually did (which we'd never find out) kudos to both I guess.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Just reread a bit of SoS and was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that Varys suggests to Joffrey that Barristan be dismissed. Nice to see all the threads actually are somewhat though out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pugnax posted:

Just reread a bit of SoS and was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that Varys suggests to Joffrey that Barristan be dismissed. Nice to see all the threads actually are somewhat though out.

Doesn't matter. He's just gonna get killed in the street by some mook with a knife in the next book. #NotMySelmy #TVCanon

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If Selmy just winds up dying unceremoniously in the first few chapters of TWOW his contribution to the plot in the books is still massive compared to his role in the show, him getting manipulated by Skahaz into breaking the truce with the Yunkai is the sole cause for that whole battle outside the gates of Meereen and will probably be the final nail in the coffin of the cities of Slaver's Bay.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Preston Jacob's latest video deals with the question of why certain Targaryens seemingly have the ability to hatch dragon eggs while others don't, he approaches the question by trying to apply 19th century genetics to the question and assumes that the genes for hatching and riding dragons are only contained in the X chromosome. It's really stupid, does he really think Lord-can't-be-arsed-to-remember-the-gender-of-a-horse actually sat there and made detailed hereditary charts for dragon-related genetic traits? though if GRRM actually did (which we'd never find out) kudos to both I guess.

There's a new one where he says that, because ser arys uses the pronoun "she" instead of repeating myrcellas name, the person might not be Myrcella. There's literally no female antecedent to be found, she's it. Obviously Myrcella is only watching the cyvasse game that Trystane plays with...Rosamund?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meereen got interesting when Barristan took over because the plot actually moved along at a decent clip for once. Having him die so it can go back to nothing happening is inevitable.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If Selmy just winds up dying unceremoniously in the first few chapters of TWOW his contribution to the plot in the books is still massive compared to his role in the show, him getting manipulated by Skahaz into breaking the truce with the Yunkai is the sole cause for that whole battle outside the gates of Meereen and will probably be the final nail in the coffin of the cities of Slaver's Bay.

Why manipulated? It was the right thing to do, right? Hizdahl was shady as hell and most definitely did stop the violence because he was in control of the violence, and attempted to poison Danerys. Molero's head was delivered because it weakened Danerys's advisors and gave him an excuse to trade back his relatives and only his relatives. The guys outside were going to start some poo poo and hitting them hard before they storm the city was the right move.
I haven't read the selmy chapter from WoW, I thought I read it was from a book reading and only a brief summary existed so I didn't bother. Do you learn anything to the contrary that makes Hizdalh innocent and Skahaz shady?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The meereen plot suffered from not only being focused around Dany (which is understandable as she and Jon are pretty much the closest thing these novels have to a protagonist) but being told from her very limited perspective, there is actually plenty of semi-interesting poo poo going on but as long as Dany is present she is bent on just trying to keep the peace, which is kinda boring as poo poo even though it is the reasonable thing to do from Dany's point of view and probably what most readers would expect from her, you can't really delve too deeply into all of the conspiracies that take place in the city given that Dany is herself mostly oblivious of all of them and she's also in the center of them.

Once she's removed from the city and Barristan takes over him and Skahaz basically just smash to smithereens everything Dany worked for since ASOS and things get really exciting really fast cause tons of people are about to be eaten by dragons and zombie victarions so that's pretty cool, I don't think we'll get any more "Dany in Meereen" chapters after she returns with the Khalasar at her heels, the Yunkai and their allies are getting annihilated in the first 10% of TWOW, the preview chapters already show us that their army is completely broken and that Victarion and the dragons have destroyed the volantene fleet within minutes of arriving. When Dany returns there is no one to challenge her and she'll be able to guarantee the safety of the slaves while leaving Skahaz to rule in her stead, you could say that the Meereenese knot is pretty much resolved by this point.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 7, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think Skahaz is the one who did the poisoning - he wanted to force the issue. There was probably no intent to kill, just provoke into action against the masters.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

Why manipulated? It was the right thing to do, right? Hizdahl was shady as hell and most definitely did stop the violence because he was in control of the violence, and attempted to poison Danerys. Molero's head was delivered because it weakened Danerys's advisors and gave him an excuse to trade back his relatives and only his relatives. The guys outside were going to start some poo poo and hitting them hard before they storm the city was the right move.
I haven't read the selmy chapter from WoW, I thought I read it was from a book reading and only a brief summary existed so I didn't bother. Do you learn anything to the contrary that makes Hizdalh innocent and Skahaz shady?

Man there's pages and pages of Analysis of those chapters that shows this isn't exactly what happened, this blog is pretty awesome: https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/ and Preston's videos about Meereen are also pretty informative,

Generally, it is safe to assume that the locusts were not meant to poison Dany, they were only a feint, likely meant to poison... Strong Belwas. When you think about it, if you wanted to poison Dany, would you poison those freaking disgusting locusts? and would you use such impotent poison that it wouldn't kill Belwas after he'd eaten an entire bowl? I mean, assuming he weights 2-3 times more than Dany, he ate the entire bowl and he didn't die, so, had she eaten a third of the bowl she likely wouldn't have died either, and what are the odds of her stuffing her face with all those locusts? If she ate only one locust she probably would have just had painful diarrhea, the poison was not meant for Dany. Now let's ignore that for a second, why would Hizdahr want to kill Dany? She is the source of his legitimacy as a ruler, and if he did want to kill her, would he want to do it in a way that implicates him? That is to say, all of the evidence that points to Hizdahr is likely just him being framed for a crime he didn't commit. etc etc.

The more you think about it the less sense it makes for Hizdahr to make an attempt at Dany's life, his plans were probably along the lines of her loving off back to Westeros and him ruling the city by himself, killing Dany would be terrible for business as far as he's concerned.

The meereenese blot blog is interesting, and Preston's videos about Dany are some of his least outlandish.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think Skahaz is the one who did the poisoning - he wanted to force the issue. There was probably no intent to kill, just provoke into action against the masters.

Yes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well poo poo I know Barristan was agonizing over sticking his oar into politics as being the literal worst thing a whitecloak can do but all the logic seemed sound. Hizdahl completely cut him out and acted exactly like a guilty person would. I guess I gotta read this blog to continue this conversation though.

Dang but I feel bad for Admiral Molero.

Again, was the early barristan WoW chapter just a summary from a book reading or is there a preview floating around I could read?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I found an .epub containing all 6 released TWOW chapters which includes one complete Barristan chapter, I don't know if it was recorded during a reading or what but it seemed fully legit. I am not even sure if it's considered :filez: or not, I mean some of the chapters are 'bootlegs' or whatever bust most of them were released by GURM for free so idk if it's fine to link it or not, It's pretty easy to find anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Doesn't matter. He's just gonna get killed in the street by some mook with a knife in the next book. #NotMySelmy #TVCanon

Don't forget all the world-renowned uber soldiers getting killed left and right by a bunch of random guys in masks.

Unsullied: They can gently caress up Dothraki hordes but can't effectively fight random pissed off slavers in masks because reasons.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I found an .epub containing all 6 released TWOW chapters which includes one complete Barristan chapter, I don't know if it was recorded during a reading or what but it seemed fully legit. I am not even sure if it's considered :filez: or not, I mean some of the chapters are 'bootlegs' or whatever bust most of them were released by GURM for free so idk if it's fine to link it or not, It's pretty easy to find anyway.

I wouldn't link it maybe but yeah if someone wants TWOW chapters I think they probably know where and how to find them.

The Barristan was definitely the most epic. The Theon ones pretty good too. Tyrions is ok.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I hope he publishes, ever.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 7, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just turned this one off. Sometimes Preston's tinfoil is silly but entertaining enough, but what I saw of this one was very boring.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PlantHead posted:

Remember how GRRM split up the last two books because there was a physical limit? We've actually created books of that manuscript's original length in the intervening years (Sanderson's Words of Radiance, for example).

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Saeka posted:

Here you go!

I think Brienne is described as thickly muscled in the books. I love that this guy took that as Incredible Hulk.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The book is extremely clear on all the ways she looks ridiculous in lace. The incredible hulk would look ridiculous in a dress. QED.
She's taller than most men and can probably shotput a horse. That drawing is more than fair to her in book descriptions.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

The book is extremely clear on all the ways she looks ridiculous in lace. The incredible hulk would look ridiculous in a dress. QED.
She's taller than most men and can probably shotput a horse. That drawing is more than fair to her in book descriptions.

yeah I agree. I used the "ugly enough I'd feel disgusted with myself for being aroused" test. And I'd say it almost passes. I pretty much that concept of "tv ugly" where the ugliest person on tv is still way better looking than I am. gently caress that noise.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

loving Gwendoline Christie is too goddamn pretty to be Brienne. I really like her playing the character but gently caress the woman's a model, literally. She's just really tall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Krinkle posted:

Well poo poo I know Barristan was agonizing over sticking his oar into politics as being the literal worst thing a whitecloak can do but all the logic seemed sound. Hizdahl completely cut him out and acted exactly like a guilty person would. I guess I gotta read this blog to continue this conversation though.

I think much of the shadiness of Hizdahr's behavior is a direct observational flaw by Selmy. Confirmation bias is a running theme in the books and Selmy falls for Skahaz' manipulation so easily because he filed Hizdahr under "shady rear end in a top hat" the minute he saw him, similarly to Ned being unable to think of the Lannisters as anything but scheming backstabbers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah, Hizdahr is this foreign guy who's everything Barristan can't even imagine being, he has no principles, he eats dogs, he has no 'chivalrous honor' (doesn't really care about being publicly scorned, doesn't mind marrying Dany while both are banging other people), he's all about shaking up the existing order, doesn't mind turning his back on the values he grew up with, etc etc. Barristan just can't wrap his head around this fella, but the truth is probably that Hizdahr was exactly what he seemed to be and was genuinely interested in working with Dany towards creating a new Meereen that embraces more 'modern' values and establishes itself as something other than a slave city, he's really a very honest guy he almost never says anything deceitful or self-serving but it all alludes Barristan due to his own prejudice.

It isn't a coincidence that just before Barristan decides to collaborate with Skahaz he is reminded of Criston Cole aka "the king maker", the Kingsguard who decided to ignore the wishes of the old king and conspired (successfully) to crown Aegon II instead of Rhaenyra Targaryen, which sparked the massive civil war known as 'The Dance of The Dragons' http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dance_of_the_Dragons worth noting that ultimately it was Rhaenyra's son, Aegon III, who ascended the throne, so there's perhaps some foreshadowing to indicate that Barristan's mini coup would possibly fail. Honestly I am not sure Dany would be too pleased with him when she returns, the evidence against Hizdahr is flimsy at best.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Barristan in Meereen is Ned 2.0 and Skahaz is another Littlefinger. The Bolded text tells us he's not too bright:

quote:

"Certain. The Wise Masters know. So do their friends. The Harpy, Reznak, Hizdahr. This king will open the city gates to the Volantenes when they arrive. All those Daenerys freed will be enslaved again. Even some who were never slaves will be fitted for chains. You may end your days in a fighting pit, old man. Khrazz will eat your heart."

His head was pounding. "Daenerys must be told."

He can serve well --and has a pathological need to be in service-- but he can't do anything else. He just follows orders, which is why he is so easily manipulated by the Shavepate once Dany is out of the picture.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah, Hizdahr is this foreign guy who's everything Barristan can't even imagine being, he has no principles, he eats dogs, he has no 'chivalrous honor' (doesn't really care about being publicly scorned, doesn't mind marrying Dany while both are banging other people), he's all about shaking up the existing order, doesn't mind turning his back on the values he grew up with, etc etc. Barristan just can't wrap his head around this fella, but the truth is probably that Hizdahr was exactly what he seemed to be and was genuinely interested in working with Dany towards creating a new Meereen that embraces more 'modern' values and establishes itself as something other than a slave city, he's really a very honest guy he almost never says anything deceitful or self-serving but it all alludes Barristan due to his own prejudice.

It isn't a coincidence that just before Barristan decides to collaborate with Skahaz he is reminded of Criston Cole aka "the king maker", the Kingsguard who decided to ignore the wishes of the old king and conspired (successfully) to crown Aegon II instead of Rhaenyra Targaryen, which sparked the massive civil war known as 'The Dance of The Dragons' http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dance_of_the_Dragons worth noting that ultimately it was Rhaenyra's son, Aegon III, who ascended the throne, so there's perhaps some foreshadowing to indicate that Barristan's mini coup would possibly fail. Honestly I am not sure Dany would be too pleased with him when she returns, the evidence against Hizdahr is flimsy at best.

Online, I also think a lot of analysis is getting confused by the fact that the book is nearly 4 years old at this point and the image of Hizdahr fresh in our heads is the show's portrayal, where he is played pretty shady but not in a way that suggests we're being fooled.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In the show he was one of thee people in the jail who just saw a fourth burnt alive and she ordered him to marry her so basically all he's done is be scared as poo poo and try to get bloodsports going again for personal gain. In the books he called out for the dragon's death. The dragons are the only thing keeping the second sons in line and the yunkai outside the gates and he wants them dead. I just can't understand why he'd want them dead if he didn't want Danerys's legitimacy and power undermined.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Krinkle posted:

In the show he was one of thee people in the jail who just saw a fourth burnt alive and she ordered him to marry her so basically all he's done is be scared as poo poo and try to get bloodsports going again for personal gain. In the books he called out for the dragon's death. The dragons are the only thing keeping the second sons in line and the yunkai outside the gates and he wants them dead. I just can't understand why he'd want them dead if he didn't want Danerys's legitimacy and power undermined.

he wants her legitimacy and power to flow from himself instead of be independent of him

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

And when the yunkai sack the city and put his head on a spike because they don't have to worry about dragonfire, all that power he stole from dany will do what for him exactly? Unless it was part of a bargain to kill the dragons and poison Dany and the Yunkai sack everything but his family's pyramid, leave him in charge, and leave. I can't see him as merely venial. Barristan did nothing wrong.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If I were the king and a dangerous wild animal started murdering hundreds(?) of people in broad daylight, I would probably attempt to kill it, as well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Holy poo poo, toss a net on that thing, my wife I give a poo poo about has been looking for that for months!

The thing was eating a pig happily and burnt some dumb lady pit fighter who was 100% going to die anyway and didn't go berserk until someone threw a spear at it, which hizdarl watched while visibly erect.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Could just be Hizdahr is an idiot who thinks everyone will recognise his status and power as a fundamental writ into the fabric of life and he is the exact same sort of moron as most other nobles.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Drogon kills like 200 hundred people in Daznak's pit and outside of it. One of the hosed up things in the novels that is omitted from the show is that after Drogon takes off from the pit with Dany on his back he swoops back down to burn a few people outside the pit, just for kicks. Trying to kill Drogon was absolutely a reasonable thing to do given what was going down at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If I were the king and a dangerous wild animal started murdering hundreds(?) of people in broad daylight, I would probably attempt to kill it, as well.

Especially when your city has an ancient hatred and fear of them because a now-dead empire used dragons to subjugate you and oh hey you just got subjugated by someone descended from that empire and that person has dragons.