Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It sounds like you want him to play wargames a lot more than he actually wants to play wargames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I wasn't really kidding; Stratego is better than Risk by a decent margin, it gives some hidden fog of war stuff, setup is interesting.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Maybe this is too niche or weird but I really enjoy
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36522/2-de-mayo

It's a) very short. You figure it out and get it over with quickly.
b) based on the idea of scenario instead of the standard 'you win or I win' thing.

If history doesn't matter, Forbidden Stars
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175155/forbidden-stars

It avoids the 'giant pile of poo poo beats smaller pile of poo poo only luck can make that irrelevant' problem, mostly, because there's a clever guessing game around how you stack and unstack player actions. It goes much faster because you start with a regular force and grow it by choice as you move around. Mostly what you do is block enemy moves with the warp storm mechanic and by looking at enemy objectives vs your own objectives. It has something in common with Pirates Cove in that way, which I think is nice.

If neither of these works, my last thought is Battle of Five Armies.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/135219/battle-five-armies
It's got a nice combat mechanic twist: casualties work on a kind of army-size scale? So if you have a 'full' stack (the cap for a space), then you can take a couple turns of pounding. But if you put a 1 or 2 unit group out there, it's vulnerable to being wiped out if it's cornered and attacked. Your strategy revolves around your special commanders, and sticking their necks out is part of deciding how to mount an effective defense or attack. There's also the mechanic of time, where the orks need to get their attack in gear sooner rather than later, because as time passes, it just gets better for the armies of 'light' (more special units appear, eventually they get air support from the eagles, some special cards come into their hand).

It sets up way faster than Axis Allies, too. But still has the fun game pieces.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I couldn't appease this player with my nearly $600 collection of Command & Colors games

Can you post photos of that for us losers who aren't living in the top 1% of gamers?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If he's not opposed to dudes on a map area control, maybe Kemet? Not strictly a war game, but a very good board game.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2016

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I just ordered the P500 Cuba Libre reprint Everyone can now relax.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Finished a bot game of Churchill to learn the rules. I don't think I'll do solo again, playing cards for all three sides is tiresome. Hopefully I'll get to play 3p.
Game ended turn 9 with Germany surrendering to West and East fronts and Japan surrendering to CBI at the same time.
74 UK - 54 USSR - 42 US, Soviets win by overkill rule. US and UK share a lot of points but the UK managed to find most of the differences.
Final board

Thunderbolt/Apache Leader question: The Harrier has 0-2 movement. Am I allowed to use the first movement to enter the next hex in a hover, then use the second movement to move to the hex edge I crossed over?
Also the LAU-61 owns.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Gonna p500 the non-existent Lion of Judah and pretend like its an infallible kickstarter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

P500s are generally safer than kickstarters because at least they don't take your money before they're actually sending the game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Could somebody shoot me a few examples of CDGs that have different OP values for different uses on the cards? Like, with a bit of squinting one's eyes variable reinforcement values from Stalin's War/Paths of Glory kinda count.

I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Manoeuvre, assuming you give it enough leeway to fit the definition of a CDG?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

Could somebody shoot me a few examples of CDGs that have different OP values for different uses on the cards? Like, with a bit of squinting one's eyes variable reinforcement values from Stalin's War/Paths of Glory kinda count.

I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

WSDV has some cards that have different op values for different sides, does that count? Also 1960 has the dichotomy between ops and political capital.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Strike of the Eagle would count I think. The cards have an OPs, combat, and reinforcement value, though like Paths, the OPs and reinforcement value are linked. The combat value on the other hand, is independent of the other two. When resolving combat in Strike you tally up pips (it's a block game), apply modifiers, then add the combat value of a card played blindly from your draw deck, or from your hand with a bonus +1 to the value. Most of the time you'll draw blindly because you draw six cards a turn and have five action rounds, so more than one combat card a turn will result in a limited pass turn, but fixing the result for important fights is pretty useful.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Empire of the Sun also has this, in a way, since the cards often have values or effects that replace the Ops value of the card in some of its uses (e.g. Logistics value, Seizure of the Hawaiian Islands's super long movement).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I re-bought Fields of Fire because I was itching to play it again. I swear I'm that game's battered wife. I'll always go back.

I also got Advanced Third Reich in the mail for $45 shipped. Hell of a deal! We'll see if I eve play it! I'm thinking about putting all the counters on magnetic tape since they're one-sided, and then mounting the map on some sheet metal. That way I can just play on my wall. That'd be fun.

edit-- The rules for Liberty or Death just got posted on GMT's website. Looks like this one's gonna be a bit more tactical and less euro-y, as far as COIN games go... time to re-500 it.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 6, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I re-bought Fields of Fire because I was itching to play it again. I swear I'm that game's battered wife. I'll always go back.

That's pretty much the true FoF-owning experience. The only variations are selling, hiding in the attic and never getting past Trevieres.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
Thought I would share this with the thread: I recently bought Twilight Struggle after wanting to try it for years. Played basically three games in a row with a roommate, me as USA and him as the soviets, and I lost all 3 hard. We're talking turn 2-3 game ends. Then we realized we were screwing up the rules pretty bad. Absolutely forgetting that DEFCON level removed the ability to coup or realign in Europe - Middle East - Asia. Didn't realize that couping in non-battleground states did not lower DEFCON. All 3 games my opponent drew the UN Intervention card on the first or second turn. He read the "play this card immediately with an opponent's event" as a "that didn't happen" interrupt card, he could play it at any time to cancel an event I played.

Played our first real game following the rules correctly. Went the full 10 turns, game ended after final scoring at 0 VP tie.

This is the best game.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Welcome to the joy of Twilight Struggle. Still high on its lofty perch of Idiot's Favourite games.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Can anyone who's playtested for GMT give some insight into what the process is like? I assume it's designer-dependent.

I know someone here has been a part of something.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Any good EotS learning videos for the lazy? I understand the gist of the game, just looking for something to watch that isn't Marco's weird face.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Any good EotS learning videos for the lazy? I understand the gist of the game, just looking for something to watch that isn't Marco's weird face.
There's a bunch linked on the BGG page that are really good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Mantis posted:

Can anyone who's playtested for GMT give some insight into what the process is like? I assume it's designer-dependent.

I know someone here has been a part of something.

Very designer-dependent. Basically, GMT says "[x] game is in need of testers, email the designer here: address@wherever.com." Then you send an email, get put on a list, the designer sends out all the materials (rules/vassal module/etc) and then sort of runs the show from there.

Pretty simple process, but not centralized to GMT at all.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Empire of the Sun is back in stock briefly. Also has anyone played GMTs Genesis?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

Also has anyone played GMTs Genesis?

Played it twice, it's mediocre and overlong.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What are the differences between the D-Day at Series (Omaha, Tarawa and Peleliu)?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

What are the differences between the D-Day at Series (Omaha, Tarawa and Peleliu)?

Well, you see... one takes place on Omaha Beach, one takes place on Tarawa atoll, and one takes place on Peleliu island.

But really, the gist I get is that Omaha has more tanks and machine gun nests to deal with, whereas Tarawa has more close combat and confusion. I don't know much about Peleliu. I haven't played Tarawa, but that's the impression I get from reviews.

Also, I've played Omaha and I can confirm that it's a really fun game. I've heard others say that it's the better game between it and Tarawa. Is Peleliu even out yet?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

Well, you see... one takes place on Omaha Beach, one takes place on Tarawa atoll, and one takes place on Peleliu island.

But really, the gist I get is that Omaha has more tanks and machine gun nests to deal with, whereas Tarawa has more close combat and confusion. I don't know much about Peleliu. I haven't played Tarawa, but that's the impression I get from reviews.

Also, I've played Omaha and I can confirm that it's a really fun game. I've heard others say that it's the better game between it and Tarawa. Is Peleliu even out yet?

Just get Blood Reef Tarawa instead and play it solo :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MikeCrotch posted:

Just get Blood Reef Tarawa instead and play it solo :getin:

I just involuntarily went into hyperventilation after reading this

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

It is. Forgive the (possibly) barbaric link.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Reading the article on Labyrinth: The Awakening, I am glad that at least they have admitted that in the base game, you either go Hard or make it nearly impossible to win. There's that, at least.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Actually, the only way to win is not to play.

[edit] The double activation turn was kinda cool though, would like to see some other CDGs do that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tried the EotS 1943 scenario, it is pretty good.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody ever order an Against the Odds magazine? I picked one up for the Russian Civil War game "For Bloody Honor," and it had this printed on the back of the counter sheet

Which is super cool. So my question is, do they do this for all their games?

(Btw, the artwork on this sucker is super gorgeous. An all black stylized map with just a little bit of red.

I also took a glamor shot with those stupid dice I ordered.)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Are there any more EotS custom dice floating around? I crumbled to peer pressure and picked it up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've got one spare set but I had a friend that wanted them, so I'll need to wait before I can see if they are free or not. Dunno about the US/Canada dudes.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm pretty sure all of them are spoken for, unfortunately. I may order another batch and huck em on bgg, but I don't have extra ATM

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

All good. Just checking.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Played Churchill last night with Ilthe and one of our friends. We botched up some rules but I really liked it, aside from me whiffing two 8- rolls to advance the front. I'll probably be better at making sure I don't have to roll now that I know what's going on. I, as Stalin, was influential in creating a game state in the last couple or round where the US was constantly being debated by GB so I couldn't use my Nyet ability. It's a good way to come in third. The US stormed back from third in the last conference and won after the die rolls and tiebreakers since we didn't defeat Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Unfortunately, I'm bad at reading rule books so I made a lot of mistakes explaining the game, especially with how score is calculated. I guess that just means we'll have to play again. Soon hopefully.

One thing I want to ask, I've read the rulebook front and back twice (or so it feels) and I can't find a satisfactory answer to how conference VP are awarded. On the board a / means 'and'. So, if Roosevelt or Churchill wins a conference is that 3vp for both of them or only for the conference winner? The little chits and the quick references both say +3vp UK/US and that is confusing the hell out of me.