Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"What up, my glipglops?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

What's your favorite episode in the show's run thus far, and why?
Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind. I think this did more than any other episode to enhance the canon and scope of the show. There were a few other episodes that were equally funny, but this one still feels the most crucial to me out of the whole series. Ricksy Business, Rixty Minutes, and Total Rickall are all tied for 2nd-ish, for me.

Who's your favorite side character?
Sadly, it was Birdperson. His deadpan delivery on ridiculous subjects was hilarious, and he added depth to Rick's character as well. He will be missed.

Do you have a favorite joke/gag/line from the show?
"Wait for the ramp Morty! They love the slow ramp. Really gets their dicks hard..."

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?
Big Trouble in Little Sanchez. The alien couples counselor plot was okay but the main plot with Tiny Rick did nothing for me. For me this was the least funny episode in the show. The way the show usually works is subverting expectations. When Rick bursts into Needful Things and dodges all the cliche bullcrap and has a good laugh at the Devil's expense that was funny. Here, rather than subverting all our expectations about how he'd act if he were in a teen's body again, Tiny Rick pretty much does exactly what I predicted. All the opportunities to have a laugh at the expense of high school based shows are wasted and the entire time is spent pretty much concerned with getting Rick back in his old body again. Meh.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was watching it at a friend's house with a bunch of people (since we were all trapped there after watching football and drinking all day and a flood emergency was declared), and when Bird Person was shot literally three people immediately shouted "BIRD PERSON NO" before Rick shouted "BIRD PERSON NO."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lareine posted:

That being said, I DO have a few favorite jokes/gags/lines, one being the bad memory of Summer catching Morty masturbating in the kitchen and another being the bad memories that Morty has of Rick, especially that last one when Rick pulls down Morty's pants on the stairs at school. I mean, Rick is standing there laughing with some girls and Morty is crying. Who the gently caress would do that to their grandson?

I love this memory because it is so blatant. Not only does Rick humiliate Morty, but why the gently caress is Rick even in Morty's school? Did he just happen to be passing by and decided to attack his grandson? They did not seem in mid-adventure there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Favorite Ep:
Gotta be Rick Potion #9. That closing sequence left a real impression with me that only Rick's failed suicide came the closest too, but it stands above because Morty is just a boy.

Favorite Side Character:
Unity gave me a look into what loving Rick is like; all consuming and toxic. She'd be the main villain of any other show she was in but she's scared of Rick.

Best Gag:
This is a 3-way split between "X gone give it to ya!", the Marmaduke Guy's speech, and "Snuffles is my slave name! You can call me... Snowball because my fur is pretty and white."

These 3 all struck deep chords with me and appeal to my greater sense of humor.

Worst Ep:
Whichever one has the dead deer B plot. I cannot remember the rest at all. This is arguably the most grounded, terrestrial B plot, and just not attempting to shoehorn hackneyed sitcom plots into the show should be a goal from here out. If they'd replaced this with anything even slightly weirder (they find a thing Rick made that causes them to really like each other but the rest of their lives fall apart, off the top of my head) and it'd have been fine.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

FireWorksWell posted:

Since the season ended, I figure we could have a little survey.

S1: Ricksy Business.
S2: Total Rickall.
I like lots of crazy characters in one room episodes i guess.

quote:

I'M MR MESEEKS LOOK AT ME

quote:

"Prepare to be emancipated from your own inferior genes!"
The best overall scene is the Mazzy Star scene at the end of Rick Potion #9 though. If you want to call that a gag then it's my favorite gag.

quote:

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?

Interdimensional Cable 2 sucked. I would have enjoyed it if the jokes were any near as funny as the ones in Rixty Minutes. They weren't! Wubba lubba dub duuuubs!!

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 6, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Best episode: the one with Needful Things. I just love the concept of someone figuring out the devil's obvious and amateurish schemes so quickly. Also X Gonna Give it to Ya.

Side character: Krombopolous Michael I guess.

Gag: A homeless chair looking horrified in the background at the sight of two walking, talking humans.

Worst episode: Get Schwifty and the second cable episode just weren't funny enough.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'd say it's a tie between Rick Potion #9 and Total Rickall. Rick Potion #9 because it goes directly against the whole idea of "oh and then we came up with this crazy solution that fixed everything!" that so many cartoons go with. Total Rickall mostly because everything in that episode just hits the nail on the head, both in terms of delivery and concept.

Mr. Goldenfold. I do wish we could see more of him.

"Hey, look. I'm PEEING on your weapons. That means I OWN them."
followed by
"He thinks he can control me with a haircut?"

Inter-Dimensional cable 2. I don't know what could have been done to make it better; maybe if they had taken a step back and thought on what they were producing? Or maybe if they could have had more than just Roiland do the improv work. idk it's weird seeing the disparity of content when compared to Rixty minutes.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
"You have no idea what prison is like here!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5A5Mb__fiA

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
See I don't get why so many people say they don't like the pilot. It's a little rough around the edges but has a lot of great bits like that one and absolutely sets the tone for the series as a whole.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Pilots one of my favorites actually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The pilot still has 2 of my favorite scenes of the series. 100 Years and "They're robots, Morty!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MrAristocrates posted:

Huh, I don't remember it sounding like that.

In the '90s there were like 5 remix versions of every NIN song. That's the one from the music video.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

CelticPredator posted:

The pilot still has 2 of my favorite scenes of the series. 100 Years and "They're robots, Morty!"

"you have to turn them on morty, the shoes have to be turned on!"

and the butthole speech

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

The entire "render farm" complaint is entirely stupid as hell, because probably .05% of people actually go online and discuss fan theories for TV shows that they watch. Maybe those .05% of people saw it coming, but who gives a gently caress?

Yeah, a good story is one that builds on stuff that have been foreshadowed and established, and when you do things like that people who pay attention to that kind of stuff are able to figure out what’s going to happen next. This isn’t bad, it’s a sign of good writing.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I actually thought the improv in Interdimensional Cable 2 was only a bit worse than Rixty Minutes. "Plumbuses", "Eyeholes", "Jan Michael Vincent", and "Michael/Pichael" were hilarious and on par with the good stuff from Rixty Minutes, and I'm glad I got to see those. There were some duds like "How Did I Get Here" and "Funny Songs". There was about 6 less minutes of tv stuff in the episode compared to Rixty Minutes--which was nearly all tv, instead with equal focus going towards Jerry's plot, which was really good.

I felt it was a fairly average episode from season 2 overall. A couple better improv skits would've improved it of course--if it had something in it that was hands down better than "Two Brothers" it would've gone a long way towards justifying the episode creatively, but nothing in it quite matched that. The Plumbus thing came close though. I was really astonished that people thought it was worse than "Get Schwifty" or "Big Trouble in Little Sanchez". But eh, goons.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

The Ricks Must Be Crazy - The microverse/miniverse/teenyverse layers, Stephen Colbert, Ice Cream Street, a golden B-plot with Summer and the car. It has everything.

Mister President.

"Oooooh, he's trying!"

I didn't hate Interdimensional Cable 2 as much as a lot of people, but... eh. I don't feel the need to watch it again. The sketches just sounded forced this time around. Like they were thinking "Oh poo poo, people liked the last one so much we have to sound as laidback and spontaneous as that... but edgier! Eyeholes! And this guy rips his skin off!"

Although! I have such a weak spot for How It's Made that the Plumbus sketch almost redeemed it. It is so spot-on.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Ooh-wee, this one's tough. I'm going to go with Auto Erotic Assimilation. It's got what I consider to be the biggest and most important set of consequences for Rick's character arc, and it doesn't hurt that it's packed full of incredible jokes like the race war and the crotchless Uncle Sam sex fantasy (and the "Go Son Go!" chant.)

I'm not sure if this counts, but I absolutely love that they had Keith David in two consecutive episodes (as the Giraffe and the President.)

I knew I was hooked as soon as they did the bit in the pilot: "They're just robots, Morty! It's OK to shoot them!" "AUGH!! LEN'S BLEEDING TO DEATH, SOMEONE CALL HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN!"

Something Ricked This Way Comes. Despite the amazing quality of the DMX bit and the fact that it puts Summer in focus for more than a single gag at a time, it just felt like a looooong side plot. I'm not sure what I would do to redeem it, really.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 7, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mental-Rectangle posted:

I actually thought the improv in Interdimensional Cable 2 was only a bit worse than Rixty Minutes. "Plumbuses", "Eyeholes", "Jan Michael Vincent", and "Michael/Pichael" were hilarious and on par with the good stuff from Rixty Minutes, and I'm glad I got to see those. There were some duds like "How Did I Get Here" and "Funny Songs". There was about 6 less minutes of tv stuff in the episode compared to Rixty Minutes--which was nearly all tv, instead with equal focus going towards Jerry's plot, which was really good.

I felt it was a fairly average episode from season 2 overall. A couple better improv skits would've improved it of course--if it had something in it that was hands down better than "Two Brothers" it would've gone a long way towards justifying the episode creatively, but nothing in it quite matched that. The Plumbus thing came close though. I was really astonished that people thought it was worse than "Get Schwifty" or "Big Trouble in Little Sanchez". But eh, goons.

I really like those rare moments where Rick isn't being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat. His genuine bewilderment at "how did she get there" and shock at the backwards news reveal is just perfect. People have been glossing over the Man vs Cars sketch, but I love it for the very end when Roland asks "Wouldn't the cars always win?"

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Total Rickall. Lots of great jokes+moments, and it stands that much higher with a premise that could never, ever come about on another show. Brilliant off the wall humour, funny and cutting and tragic character moments, and the drat stones to leave it all behind at the end of the episode. If there were only one Rick and Morty episode ever made, I'd want it to be this one.

Mr. Meeseeks. Again, the sort of thing that just couldn't happen anywhere else. Shout out to Mr. Boobybuyer, though.

Easily Roy: The Game sequence and Rick's 'You beat cancer and then went BACK to the carpet store??' Boo!'

Interdimensional Cable 2 is the only one that felt really forced, so far. Plumbus was the only really good sketch other than the argablargblarg olympics. Ants in my Eyes Johnson, Real Fake Doors, Gazorpazorpfield, were so drat weird and funny, one guy alone doesn't produce that kind of thing.

Plus, no-one really talked about this: IDC1 had mute channel flips. Part two really suffered not having jokes like

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anther vote for Auto erotic assimilation. It was the first R&M episode I watched and immediately thought the show was going to be a sort of generic crazy scientist goes on space adventures with grandkids, and this episode they have to prevent themselves from getting assimilated! Then it's revealed Rick and Unity used to date and Unity is totally crazy about Rick and loses itself in him.

Is Jerry a side character? If not, then probably Meeseeks or Birdperson (rip)

You gotta turn into a car morty! Wait nevermind I found a taxi it's fine. I also like that little weird mouth thing a lot of the characters do when something kinda awkward happens.

Interdimensional cable. Probably less ad libbing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

I also like that little weird mouth thing a lot of the characters do when something kinda awkward happens.

man what the hell IS THAT

lips do not work that way, drat it

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

My favorite bit is still Gazorpazorpfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_XPZH6QE0

Dumb, stupid, weak, pathetic, white, white... uh, um, guilt, white guilt, milquetoast, piece of human garbage.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

octopus man was also a really good one just because of how utterly trashed Roiland is

e: I don't have any FAVORITE moments, just a lot of good times :shrug:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
It's really cool that everyone has a different favorite episode.

:unsmith:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Excelzior posted:

man what the hell IS THAT

lips do not work that way, drat it

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mortynight Run. I'm surprised that's not on most lists, but I have a soft spot for characters who consistently make things worse the more they try to make them better. Top that off with the whole Roy sequence and the dark as hell ending (not just the gun down, but all the needling afterward from an oblivious Rick), it was just great.

Jerry won me over; for the first several episodes all I could hear is Cyril from Archer, but now if I watch Archer, all I hear is Jerry from R&M.

Also from Mortynight Run, the sequence where the antimatter cloud creature decides to start singing the same happy love-for-all song while obliterating the entire police force around them, was gold.

Going to have to go Cable 2. The B-Plot didn't die in nearly as well with the A-Plot as it did in the original episode, which elevated it. Without that here, it brought it down. So with the majority on this one. It wasn't that awful, though, and did have some redeeming parts. Also I don't think Get Schwifty deserves all the hate, it had some pretty funny stuff in there (The President in particular); the songs were dumb, but they were supposed to be dumb parodies of Earth music made generic for aliens.

Hazo posted:

I was watching it at a friend's house with a bunch of people (since we were all trapped there after watching football and drinking all day and a flood emergency was declared), and when Bird Person was shot literally three people immediately shouted "BIRD PERSON NO" before Rick shouted "BIRD PERSON NO."

I am still impressed they had a wedding massacre episode and I've not seen a single comparison to the Red Wedding.

The second Bird Person mentioned all of them being terrorists, I knew it was going to end in a massacre, I just wasn't sure from where or how. I thought Tammy might bite it, not turn out to be a spy. I do love how it makes Jerry's incredibly logical questions actually make sense though, those people were way too cool with letting their teenage daughter marry an alien bird person.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's really cool that everyone has a different favorite episode.

:unsmith:

Mostly, there seems to be some blatant tiering going on, a lot of people list Total Rickall, Meeseeks and Destory, Rick Potion #9, Rixity Minutes, and The Ricks Must Be Crazy as favorites and then the least favorites tend to be Interdimensional Cable 2, Get Schwifty, and the Pilot I guess. Lot of outliers though, yeah. Personally I feel like a lot of the season 2 episodes are really solid but not top tier but it's easy to argue about it. Like Mortynight Run is really good, but is it top tier good? Maybe, it seems to be a favorite quite a bit too actually.

Also I forgot about Abradolf Lincler, he might actually be my favorite side character and I guess Butterbot could be a gag instead, I dunno.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I gotta throw my hat in the ring and say that Inderdimensional Cable II was good. Admittedly it wasn't as good as the first, which is one of my favorites, but it wasn't as bad as you guys make it out to be.

The entire Jerry B-plot was great, especially when the news cut to Jerry screaming "Remove my penis!" Most of the skits were good, especially the How It's Made one.

I love the plot-expanding episodes but I still want another episode of non-sequitur Roiland improvising while questionably sober.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I have a soft spot for XJZ19 Rick, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If no one makes an Octopus Man shirt, I will. I want one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Philip Rivers posted:

My favorite bit is still Gazorpazorpfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_XPZH6QE0

Dumb, stupid, weak, pathetic, white, white... uh, um, guilt, white guilt, milquetoast, piece of human garbage.

Hey it's me Gazorpazorpfield. Boy, gently caress you John.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I can no longer go to a Mexican restaurant without saying "give me my loving enchiladas."

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Brightman posted:

Mostly, there seems to be some blatant tiering going on, a lot of people list Total Rickall, Meeseeks and Destory, Rick Potion #9, Rixity Minutes, and The Ricks Must Be Crazy as favorites and then the least favorites tend to be Interdimensional Cable 2, Get Schwifty, and the Pilot I guess. Lot of outliers though, yeah. Personally I feel like a lot of the season 2 episodes are really solid but not top tier but it's easy to argue about it. Like Mortynight Run is really good, but is it top tier good? Maybe, it seems to be a favorite quite a bit too actually.

Also I forgot about Abradolf Lincler, he might actually be my favorite side character and I guess Butterbot could be a gag instead, I dunno.

I mean, just at a cursory glance, there appears to be a lot of parity between favorites and least favorites. Many episodes have appeared on both ends of the spectrum from different users. I think that's pretty cool.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Look Who's Purging Now. I really enjoyed the setting, and watching Rick and Morty deal with being stranded on a Purge World was fun. The ending with Arthricia mowing down the rich assholes who run things while telling them to "Chew my balls", was excellent.

Mr Meeseeks. I can totally empathize with his desire to just want to die.

Rick's false memory of trying to flip limited edition Zelda 3DS'. "Nintendo, give me free stuff!".
"

Okay, I know people like Auto-Erotic Assimilation, but for me it's just really boring up until that knockout ending. A more interesting B-plot would have helped.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FireWorksWell posted:

Rixty Minutes, for the same reasons that have been listed already.

Abradolf Lincler

"I used it to make this. It detects and catalogs all your Twilight Zone/Ray Bradbury/Friday the 13th: The Series voodoo crap magic."

Raising Gazorpazorp is the low point of the series, imo. I honestly have no idea how to fix it, I just don't think there was much milage in either the Rick/Summer story or the Morty/Gazorpazorp one and don't remember laughing once. For something actually constructive, I think Get Schwifty would've worked better with a better-sounding second song, without the Ice-T learning to sacrifice himself for others thing to set it up (when he leaves the studio, he's just out with the mention that he's immortal or w/e), and with Paul F. Tompkins doing the impression for Ice-T. He was there for the B-story of a Rickle in Time even, and his Ice-T is amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will say gently caress Dan Harmon on one thing, and that;'s Gazorpazop for having a boring rear end plot.

I even love Lawnmower Dog, despite South Park. Rick and Morty did some fun things with the idea. Gazorpazorp did nothing fun.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Auto Erotic Assimilation. The story was funny, the B-plot was pretty good (especially Jerry's and Beth's reactions as the alien explains to them exactly why he's locked up there), and the ending was crushingly brutal. They hit Futurama levels of surprise sadness. Even the stinger was nice. "I've met a billion of you, you little on-deck, in-the-wings shoulder to cry on!"

Mr. Meeseeks.

It changes all the time. Currently, though: "Oh, hi, Morty! I'm Krombopulos Michael. I'm an assassin; I buy guns from your grandpa. ... Nice to meet ya, Morty! Listen, if ya ever need anybody murdered, please give me a call. I have no code of ethics; I will kill anyone, anywhere: children, animals, old people, doesn't matter. I just love killin'!"

The second Interdimensional Cable episode is better on re-watch, but still the weakest episode in my opinion. As to how to fix it, I don't know. I thought most of the improv TV show bits were just weaker than the first time. So many of them were so underwhelming that I enjoyed the B-plot a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
For whatever reason, the Morty and his Gazorpazorp kid is super funny to me. Especially the 'I hope he's eating alright' stinger, one of my top five jokes of the show.

• Locked thread