Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the only person who should be allowed to demo effects or any gear for that matter is henry kaiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love looking up high gain, metal targeted gear on youtube and watching bluesdad riffs played on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XnDsKdrVdU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

the only person who should be allowed to demo effects or any gear for that matter is henry kaiser

oh wait johnny demarco is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
This is the only demo you need for all your kvlt gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love looking up high gain, metal targeted gear on youtube and watching bluesdad riffs played on them

my favorite for that kind of poo poo is paul from guitar world which i'm pretty sure is his full name cuz that's how he introduces himself every single time

he looks like a strung out junkie and doesn't know anything about any of the products he uses

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

my favorite for that kind of poo poo is paul from guitar world which i'm pretty sure is his full name cuz that's how he introduces himself every single time

he looks like a strung out junkie and doesn't know anything about any of the products he uses

Here's this ENGL fireball that I'm playing on with a LP that has muddy as hell stock pickups. Either way I'm not goign to play a single power chord or figure out how to EQ the thing right. Alright here's every feature on the amp

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
this amp has 4 6l6 tubes (actually 6 el34s) and is 60 watts (actually 120) i'm playing through a 4x12 mesa boogie cab (actually a duck blind)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0A-cOH20j4

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love the part where the guy from Bogner just nonchalantly bags on the Fender Amp for not being sturdy enough to handle the bass of the pedal. "you can turn the bass down or if you had a sturdier amp like a Marshall it would be able to handle it" lol

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I will never understand gearheads. I've played shows in large indoor and outdoor venues going direct to house through a Vox Tonelab SE, and know quite a few other guitarists who do the same.

It is simple, consistent, and I get the precise 'dialed in' sound I want, every time.

My bass player does prefer that I split to a 1X12 amp on stage for his reference, but its not mic'd.

Then there are the bands that show up at the 75 person cap venue I mix at with full stacks and SVT 8X10s. Or any venue really - Only one speaker is mic'd. I think huge-rear end amp/cabs are rendered obsolete/useless by modern monitoring and FOH reproduction. I can't see why anyone needs anything more than a small combo at most, anymore

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I will never understand gearheads. I've played shows in large indoor and outdoor venues going direct to house through a Vox Tonelab SE, and know quite a few other guitarists who do the same.

It is simple, consistent, and I get the precise 'dialed in' sound I want, every time.

My bass player does prefer that I split to a 1X12 amp on stage for his reference, but its not mic'd.

Then there are the bands that show up at the 75 person cap venue I mix at with full stacks and SVT 8X10s. Or any venue really - Only one speaker is mic'd. I think huge-rear end amp/cabs are rendered obsolete/useless by modern monitoring and FOH reproduction. I can't see why anyone needs anything more than a small combo at most, anymore

because gear is cool

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

awesmoe posted:

because gear is cool

That's about it. As an audience member, even if I know that I'm only listening to one guitar speaker, there's something that pretty rock and roll about seeing a big wall of empty speaker cabinets.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Whatever you feel most comfortable playing and will bring the best performance out of you. I can get by with a 15 watt 110, but I'll happily admit it doesn't have the bass response and feel of a high power 412 onstage even if you can't tell the difference out front, and a metal or djent player is going to want that.

Depends where you want to compromise with weight and price too. I am lazy, and know I can get by on monitors and my Roland keyboard for organ gigs; but that doesn't mean if I wouldn't be touring a B3 and Leslie 122 if I had the stage-space and roadies for them. Like that guy said, gear is fun.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i'm kind of a gear head and I didn't even become like this until years after i started playing, i'll never do a gig large or small but if I had the money I'd totally blow it on a Madison Square Garden level rig.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I could probably get by with less, but gently caress if this doesn't make an incredibly self contained system that is pretty dead reliable.
- ElevenRack ($275 used)
- Carvin TS100 power amp ($400 used)
- Mesa 4x12 Recto slant cab ($500 used)
- Ground Control Pro foot controller ($375 new)

So for under $1500, I have something that can do almost anything I need in the smallest self contained setup possible (I guess other than a Pod XT or something to replace GCP and 11rack). I don't have to deal with pedals or only having "one sound" without changing half a dozen knobs on amps/pedals/etc. I set the power amp to the rough volume I need and can fine tune with the preamp output volume without changing tone, like quieting a traditional tube amp.

The only change I could see is switching from a 4x12 and tube power amp to a pair of QSC K8s. Would cut the 30lb tube amp from my 4U rack and the 100 lb 4x12 and replace it with a pair of 30 lb powered speakers. Could also split one K8 for myself, one K8 for vocals, and run a XLR out to the FOH setup.

:words: gear crap to make music no one listens to anymore :words:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So apparently open-reel tape is making a big comeback as the idiot's- I mean, audiophile's choice listening medium. I have some reels of 1/4" tape from various manufacturers laying around; where would be my best bet to make some coin off of it?

A part of me does want to hold onto the tapes in case I ever acquire a tape machine to track some waaaaarm drum busses, but I also like money.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
For gear reviews I've found Keith Merrow and Ola Englund's to be the gold standard. They both shut the hell up and just play from the beginning of the video, and most clips have solo'd raw guitars or whatever in them at some point. Also palm muting and trem picking.

Unfortunately they both tend to dial in whatever piece of gear to sound like their usual boxy generic whitebread :geno: modern high gain metal tone and then use that to play riffs from whatever super generic music project they're working on but I'm happy to put up with that.

Ferroque posted:

The band I had on my radio show yesterday had to borrow some gear because of travel issues. Here's what I was able to scrape together for their guitarist.

How dumb is this

this is photo making me giggle a lot

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 7, 2015

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

darkwasthenight posted:

Whatever you feel most comfortable playing and will bring the best performance out of you. I can get by with a 15 watt 110, but I'll happily admit it doesn't have the bass response and feel of a high power 412 onstage even if you can't tell the difference out front, and a metal or djent player is going to want that.

Depends where you want to compromise with weight and price too. I am lazy, and know I can get by on monitors and my Roland keyboard for organ gigs; but that doesn't mean if I wouldn't be touring a B3 and Leslie 122 if I had the stage-space and roadies for them. Like that guy said, gear is fun.

No, you can totally tell the difference out front. Your stage volume is going to be hosed if your little baby amps can't even keep up with the drums. And monitors are not going to make up for that enormous gap in the sound, nor are they meant to. The singer would be hosed if he had to sit there with the guitars blasting in his face the whole show. lol. Your band would have a huge U of sound with only the clattering of the drums and the mewling of tiny amps coming up the middle.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

ZombieParts posted:

No, you can totally tell the difference out front. Your stage volume is going to be hosed if your little baby amps can't even keep up with the drums. And monitors are not going to make up for that enormous gap in the sound, nor are they meant to. The singer would be hosed if he had to sit there with the guitars blasting in his face the whole show. lol. Your band would have a huge U of sound with only the clattering of the drums and the mewling of tiny amps coming up the middle.

Not that I have ever experienced. Vocalist can pull guitar down in his monitor mix if they're too high up for him.

And most vocalists use IEMs on middle to large stages nowadays, again rendering the mega amps redundant at best.

Small rooms are easily overpowered by gigantic amps and the guitarists love to throw poo poo fits when they can't get to the break on their overpowered "had to have it, blew all my money on it so can't afford something reasonable and easy to transport to a bar gig" marshal stack and I'm telling them to turn it down because they're drowning out the vocals and anything else coming direct.

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

ZombieParts posted:

That guy on the left totally doesn't know this song and he's watching the bass player to follow along

bob weir was kicked out of the dead early in their career because he sucked. he had to take lessons and then they let him back in. i only know this because i was laid up with surgery and had pretty much exhausted everything on netflix involving nazis

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Ferroque posted:

The band I had on my radio show yesterday had to borrow some gear because of travel issues. Here's what I was able to scrape together for their guitarist.

How dumb is this

I have one of those amps. They are absurdly powerful, it's kind of amazing. I just wish they had a built in volume cut or something, I can't play off a 1x12 in an apartment at more than about a 2 on each dial. I'm actually using a lovely 6 inch speaker from a tiny practice amp and I can get it up to a range around 4-5. It's only dumb because that little bastard shouldn't be that loud.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

muike posted:

The Chuck Berry, the David Gilmour, the Eddie Tap, the Hendrix, the Page Sensual Bend, and the Crossroads

Weirdly, those are my signature sex moves. :confused:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Concatenation posted:

For gear reviews I've found Keith Merrow and Ola Englund's to be the gold standard. They both shut the hell up and just play from the beginning of the video, and most clips have solo'd raw guitars or whatever in them at some point. Also palm muting and trem picking.

Unfortunately they both tend to dial in whatever piece of gear to sound like their usual boxy generic whitebread :geno: modern high gain metal tone and then use that to play riffs from whatever super generic music project they're working on but I'm happy to put up with that.

ola englund's demos are useful for finding out if x piece of equipment can sound like an andy sneap recording circa 2006

the answer is yes, yes it can

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
guitarists need 12'' speakers, bassists need 15''. I'll let gear be gear and modeling be modeling but I will never EVER trust a bassist who plays through a 8x10''

also White Dog Eggs e-mail me? I would like to revive the station wag-uitar!

mclast fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 7, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ZombieParts posted:

Sorry you play venues small enough to still hear the stage volume over the PA mate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol if u play anything other than basement shows

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

comes along bort posted:

Your parents' basement doesn't count, you live there.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm booking gigs for the local punk/hardcore/metal scene, and I find it hilarious that bass players will keep lugging their 8x10 ampeg cabs around everywhere because anything less won't cut it. I've seen vans arrive containing the members of two bands, their instruments, sleeping bags and clothes, and the enormous amp the bassist just had to bring along because the one we offered was too small.

darkwasthenight posted:

Funny you should say that, we usually offer 412 cabs to every visiting band, and the only guitarists that have denied the offer are a local djent/metal band who just wanted their Axe FX going straight to the console.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

kjetting posted:

Funny you should say that, we usually offer 412 cabs to every visiting band, and the only guitarists that have denied the offer are a local djent/metal band who just wanted their Axe FX going straight to the console.

Djent was a really bad example because nearly all of those guys are digital now I think about it. Active pickups into Axe FX or Kemper to board, maybe a poweramp for monitoring. Makes sense if you're constantly switching between super clean arps and mega downtuned extended range djent I guess.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

Sorry you play venues small enough to still hear the stage volume over the PA mate.

lol drat right you hear my amp

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

Mr. Bogner there looks like he could have been a nemesis for 60's era Adam West Batman.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I never realised before how much I want something like this.Except neck through construction and block inlays in purple and cream.

http://brawer.com/2011/01/gibson-sg-jazzmaster-tremolo-mastery-bridge-need-we-say-more/

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
jazzmaster trem is the best trem, gently caress yeah. anything else feels stupid to me (I'd go with the Staytrem bridge though, not a Mastery)

I want to put one on a strat

edit: also dude should have gone with a Squier JM trem because there's no Fender logo and the screws directly under the strings are relocated slightly farther out so they can't possibly touch the strings no matter how hosed up your trem is or how fat the strings are

City of Tampa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

5er posted:

Mr. Bogner there looks like he could have been a nemesis for 60's era Adam West Batman.

I thought he was Sasha Baron Cohen when I first saw that video

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Verizian posted:

I never realised before how much I want something like this.Except neck through construction and block inlays in purple and cream.

http://brawer.com/2011/01/gibson-sg-jazzmaster-tremolo-mastery-bridge-need-we-say-more/

I'd probably get used to it but I feel like tha pickup selector would get hit a lot

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

comes along bort posted:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

muike posted:

The Chuck Berry, the David Gilmour, the Eddie Tap, the Hendrix, the Page Sensual Bend, and the Crossroads

When you're improvising live though it's hard to do David Gilmour's technique of recording 10,000 different guitar solos over the same bit of music and then editing together all the best bits so you sound like the most brilliant improviser ever

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

comes along bort posted:

I play open mike night at the bowling alley on a regular basis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Actuary X posted:

I play open mike night at the bowling alley on a regular basis

Are you a real life randy marsh trying to play tween wave?

• Locked thread