Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jonathan posted:

Are there any PC sims where a pony car league could be created ? Or would I be stuck with Forza ?

I went looking for rFactor pony mods and was not disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddoJW3MxPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

A bit disappointing that its ears don't fold down when you activate DRS.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
How's the horse feedbag?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A 200kph horse? Why the gently caress are we driving cars still.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Isn't evolution amazing? Horses are dying out because vehicles are more efficient. Bam. Evolution happens and suddenly cars fall down to 1 horsepower.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just spent three hours with the Brabham on Historic Spa in rFactor2. Didn't manage to finish a single 20 minute race, but at least it was rarely my fault. I really need to learn where to hold back and not get involved in the inevitable AI on AI/AI on haybale/AI on house incident(s). Fun as hell combination though, and another car where rFactor2's FFB really shines imo. I also now understand why people with Alcantara wheels use gloves. A lap of SweatyPAlms.mp4

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

That track scares the poo poo out of me.

In any car.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Just finished the Caterham series in pCars and man those are fun. The game has so much wrong with it, but when you can finally get to the actual driving bit it's really exciting. The main menu and general UI are infuriating.

The car is a bit of a handful. It is quite finnicky indeed. Any more than ~5 degrees of slip and it's just gone, but if you can get it just a little bit tail happy and keep it under the threshold it's a real hoot to drive. Slow and easy and just a tiny bit drifty. Plus the game is *gorgeous* and the last race was at a really fun track (Snetterton?) at sunset.

Next up was a Ford Focus race in the rain a dark and fog at Sonoma and it felt like a Mad Max Murderthon.

edit: meant to post in the pCars thread :/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bad news: The guys who were making the other models for the Super V8s in GSCE aren't making them for GSCE any more.
Good news: They're making them for AC and rF2 instead and an amazing shitstorm is brewing from the people who donated to the project.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So they couldn't finish ONE mod and now they're making TWO? I don't understand.

What I do understand though is that Reiza is awesome as always:

quote:

We´ll let this thread continue for another day, but this is not really a Reiza or GSCE discussion so not for us to mediate it. It will be closed soon.

I´m willing to give OZV8 the benefit of doubt here, and to help move things along I´ll expand on our original proposal to them: if they do manage to create all remaining models and have them ready both in rF2 and AC, they may use whatever they find useable from the SuperV8 (models, textures, sounds physics) to complete the project. And if they manage that, porting it from rF2 to GSCE should be easy-peasy for anyone who knows their way around the ISI engine. That should mean everyone is happy, assuming creating a cool mod is what this really is about.

Let´s see it happen :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

So they couldn't finish ONE mod and now they're making TWO? I don't understand.

What I do understand though is that Reiza is awesome as always:

It makes even less sense when you remember rF2 and GSCE are basically the same engine now, and AC is a completely different thing altogether. Like this isn't even 2 games with the same engine and basically the same mod setup.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In case it flew under anyone's radar: Assetto Corsa Patch 1.3 and the Dream Pack 2 DLC are out. The update brings tire model 5 and a host of technical improvements like 64bit support, multithreading, better shaders etc. At least that's what they say, I haven't tried yet.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I tried it and it's awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Took the Mclaren out for a few laps of Donnington and any level of braking beyond extremely light sounded like my wheels were locking up, though when I looked at the replay they weren't locking up. Was an extremely annoying thing. No major performance upgrade either that I could see. Though the loading screen now shows the gearbox info for the car you've chosen so you know what you need to do when shifting.

Also they broke the pre-race menu.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's weird I found braking OK and also the pre race screen wasn't broken for me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GhostDog posted:

In case it flew under anyone's radar: Assetto Corsa Patch 1.3 and the Dream Pack 2 DLC are out. The update brings tire model 5 and a host of technical improvements like 64bit support, multithreading, better shaders etc. At least that's what they say, I haven't tried yet.

Ohhhhhh cool. I haven't used my new TX with AC yet. I'll have to get on that tonight

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

That's weird I found braking OK and also the pre race screen wasn't broken for me.

It's just the visual bit, setup stuff and the other menu bits are fine but it's like that at every track that I've seen.

There are a couple of improvements, framerate doesn't completely dive at the start of a race with a full grid any more (though it does pop up a CPU usage warning), textures look a little smoother with my settings. It's better, but it's still Assetto Corsa and while it's better in 64-bit it's still seriously lacking a lot of the stuff other sims have like timed races, weather and night racing.

E: Something I just thought of regarding the Dream Pack 2, is this the first time Catalunya's been laser scanned? It's been in a lot of games sure but I can't think of any other game using laser scanned tracks having it.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 9, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Question for those of you running VR setups, inspired by this question from the Flight Sim thread:

Jiblet posted:

I'm yet to be convinced about VR. Not that i've tried out any of the contenders so you might want a bucket of salt to go with this opinion...

For sims where I have pretty much full HOTAS control (So, DCS A10C and some other simpler sims) it should be fine. But if at any moment I have to find a key on the keyboard in a hurry while essentially blindfolded... I think it'll :arghfist:RUIN MY IMMERSION:arghfist:

Is it disorienting when your real-world "cockpit" area doesn't really match what you're seeing in-game? Particularly as far as input positions, like the shifter and handbrake.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only part of it that I find disorienting is when you have the game display the wheel and the rotation doesn't match your physical wheel.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
rFactor might be old, and some of the mods might not have cutting edge graphics, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best dirt oval racing going right now.

Where else can you run Outlaw Wedge Late Models with 950hp and lexan sideboards?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

rFactor might be old, and some of the mods might not have cutting edge graphics, but I'll be damned if it isn't the best dirt oval racing going right now.

Where else can you run Outlaw Wedge Late Models with 950hp and lexan sideboards?

If rF2 remains largely barren I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts work on graphical mods for rF1 so it can become one of those eternal sims that people play forever like GPL or RBR.

I spent the last few days playing Project Cars since the last couple of patches have largely made it better to play. Setups work now, pit-stops aren't stupid any more, just a lot of stuff that I had issue with have been sorted out. Though the AI does still have its stupid moments, like ignoring mandatory pit stops and deciding the best line for an overtake is on the grass.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Does anybody know of a sim other than rFactor that has Calabogie MP?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

njsykora posted:

If rF2 remains largely barren I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts work on graphical mods for rF1 so it can become one of those eternal sims that people play forever like GPL or RBR.

I spent the last few days playing Project Cars since the last couple of patches have largely made it better to play. Setups work now, pit-stops aren't stupid any more, just a lot of stuff that I had issue with have been sorted out. Though the AI does still have its stupid moments, like ignoring mandatory pit stops and deciding the best line for an overtake is on the grass.

The improvements to the VR support in this last patch are really great. Performance dropped hard a few patches ago and that still remains to be an issue for the most part. By far my favorite racers right now.

Whenever I am racing against the AI, I see dumb things like grass driving and at least a few being very aggressive with knocking into other cars.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

njsykora posted:

More than likely, at least for the dirt oval stuff. If you're into street stocks, midgets, sprints, modifieds or late models (like I am), there's nothing that compares to it. It's the best dirt oval racing sim in existence as far as I know.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

More than likely, at least for the dirt oval stuff. If you're into street stocks, midgets, sprints, modifieds or late models (like I am), there's nothing that compares to it. It's the best dirt oval racing sim in existence as far as I know.

I know there's a lot of dirt oval mods for Nascar 2003 but I'm not one for dirt ovals so I haven't tried any of it.

On an interesting thing, WRC5 came out today and while it isn't a sim rally game and isn't trying to be a sim rally game and the devs were out in interviews pre-release saying it wasn't going to be a sim rally game there are people in Steam reviews complaining that it's not Richard Burns Rally. What's more interesting is that apparently it doesn't have support for the DFGT or G25. I think it's pretty interesting if we're getting to a point where these older wheels are straight up not getting built in support in newer games that aren't super hardcore sims.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a shame seeing as they're perfectly functional wheels and also the G29 is overpriced as gently caress.

EDIT: looks like the WRC5 devs are trying to add more wheels to the game, they just didn't bother doing it before the game was released. Pretty typical for developers these days.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 11, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

On an interesting thing, WRC5 came out today and while it isn't a sim rally game and isn't trying to be a sim rally game and the devs were out in interviews pre-release saying it wasn't going to be a sim rally game there are people in Steam reviews complaining that it's not Richard Burns Rally.

To be fair to those people...

Steam Store Text posted:

Find all the cars, all the drivers and all the official rallies of the 2015 FIA World Rally Championship in THE racing simulation standard. Feel the impact of the different road surfaces on how your vehicle handles thanks to a brand new physics engine that faithfully recreates the sensations of driving on gravel, snow, asphalt, dirt, ice and sand. Experience the spirit of the 13 rallies held around the world! Drive both night and day in sunshine, rain and snow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

To be fair to those people...

Yeah I know, it feels like Kylotonn were trying to keep expectations at a proper level since its their first year with the licence and the series debut on the current consoles. Then the publisher and PR crew go out and gently caress them over. I've seen a lot of reviews blaming Milestone too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any firsthand feedback on WRC 5? Looks interesting.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of rfactor

https://www.indiegala.com/monday

Get all your 200kmh pony racing needs met by getting if for under 2 bucks with a bunch of other lovely games. One with trading cards so real cost will be probably under 1.50 when you sell those.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 12, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Speaking of rfactor

Get all your 200kmh pony racing needs met by getting if for under 2 bucks with a bunch of other lovely games. One with trading cards so real cost will be probably under 1.50 when you sell those.

And done. I'm gonna try out that Krautspace game too because it looks kinda cool but I'll offload the others. rF1 for $2 is a stupidly good deal.

E: Christ, rFactor's getting around. It's also in this bundle here for $5 which comes with a bunch of much better games.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 12, 2015

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

And done. I'm gonna try out that Krautspace game too because it looks kinda cool but I'll offload the others. rF1 for $2 is a stupidly good deal.

Also, rFactor mods....

https://www.rfactorcentral.com/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm sorted for mods don't you worry. Frankly this whole deal could've just been I pay $2 and get to play Miniville and I'd have been happy. I am downloading some stuff that I've seen on "Best rFactor Mods" lists though, at least stuff that hasn't been converted over to newer games. So I'm not gonna get CART Factor since I already have CART Extreme.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

njsykora posted:

Though the AI does still have its stupid moments, like ignoring mandatory pit stops and deciding the best line for an overtake is on the grass.

Feature, not a bug. Seems like typical touring car racing to me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really wish somewhere had a full mod set.. ie street stocks + a ton of tracks.. maybe I'm looking at the site wrong

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mod team's own sites seem to be where to get most rF1 mods now, rFactor Central only allows 3 downloads for free so you're not going to be able to build up your track or car library from there easily. Also most teams who still work on rF1 mods don't use it at all. I did a quick search and found this site here which has basically all the open wheel stuff you could want, F1 from 1998 to 2015, 2014 GP2 and GP3 and also Formula E as well as a bunch of tracks.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm just really upset that all the Indycar mods are broken because there's some Dallara model they're all missing that isn't online anywhere :(

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Had a quick look through the OP but didn't see it listed. Have any of you guys used the Wheel Stand Pro? Looking at getting one for my Logitech G27.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Spaced God posted:

I'm just really upset that all the Indycar mods are broken because there's some Dallara model they're all missing that isn't online anywhere :(

Ehh, I have rF2 or NR2k3 if I want to Indycar. Though I did spend about an hour trying to make a V8 Supercars mod work before remembering I have the GSCE Super V8. My mod list has I think stabilised with the Enduracers mod, Blancpain 2012, VTCC, Formula E, DRM Revival and Miniville. I'll probably throw in an F1 mod at some point as well because christ every year of F1 seems to have a mod. Gradually pulling together a track collection too after completely deleting all the stock tracks because they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rfactor impressions. For street ovals it isn't an upgrade from nr2k3.. the aim constantly ramming you kind of sours the experience looks like online ovals are all dirt which I need to spend some serious investment in to not be a road hazars, sadly I'm not really into road courses.

I still got my 2 bucks worth since I played with it for about 4 hours tonight but it was frustrating. Maybe I'll try go karts but again.
Road courses.

• Locked thread