Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

So my new SSD got here, turns out you need a special cable to migrate data over on single-drive laptops... and the SSD didn't come with said cable. :doh:

On a scale of 1 to electrical fire how bad an idea is it to plug the laptop's original HDD and the SSD into 2 of my desktop's many, many empty drive bays and do the migration that way?

Like a -1. Do it all the time. If there were a Roadkill-style for computer repair I'd love to host that.

I mean, I thought this was okay and everything's fine now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd either do that, or do a clean install on the new SSD.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd either do that, or do a clean install on the new SSD.

I would but I'm too lazy to install solidworks and office again. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

So my new SSD got here, turns out you need a special cable to migrate data over on single-drive laptops... and the SSD didn't come with said cable. :doh:

On a scale of 1 to electrical fire how bad an idea is it to plug the laptop's original HDD and the SSD into 2 of my desktop's many, many empty drive bays and do the migration that way?

Buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Clone it.

Here's the issue: How big is your SSD in relation to your old SATA drive?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you don't mind dropping some bank, this works great. But if it's only one time, it's not worth it.

http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/sata-wire-3.html

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Guy forgot to charge me for a beer on the plane. Things are starting to turn around :gbsmith:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I have not been happy with putty the last couple times I've used it. I was planning on using silicone next time. What are the pros/cons?

Plumbers seem to be 50/50. The only advantage that I see is that once silicone is down, its down. Plumbers putty can be worked again or replaced easy.

Every time I have done putty, it was a slam dunk install. Silicone always fucks up some how.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

some texas redneck posted:

Jesus gently caress, I just opened up Facebook. And saw this posted by a friend.

It's what his wife wrote on his son's homework, and sent back with his son to school.

Do all women under 40 have the same handwriting?

I swear they all learn to write the same way

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

Do all women under 40 have the same handwriting?

I swear they all learn to write the same way

That's the divine handwriting of God :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

That's the divine handwriting of God :colbert:

"How dare you expose my child to cultures other than our own. How will we vilify them now?!"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

As someone who went through Catholic school until post secondary I'll just say there is only so many times you can hear that water into wine story before it loses some of its lustre.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Enourmo posted:

Long as they hook up and you remove the original drive in the desktop, you'll be fine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my desktop decided not to play nice with the laptop hard drive; had to boot from the desktop HD and download a cloning utility to transfer the laptop drive to the SSD.

That said, all is well; this sumbitch now boots from cold to the login screen in 15 seconds flat, and Solidworks loads in just 8 seconds.

Doubling the RAM to 16GB probably doesn't hurt, either.

E: Also, the computer is now eerily quiet. Gonna have to run some poo poo in the background just to kick the fan on, it's almost unnerving.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
While reading the newspaper, I attempted to scroll up with my finger, as if I were reading on my phone. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Geirskogul posted:

Let's see if the same can be said for my bus today with the oil cooler. I don't know what it is but I can't get the two cooler sealing rings to seat right, even with judicious applications of RTV around the outer circumference of the rings to help hold them in place.

Try not using rtv, use new crush washers, and lap the fittings and sealing surfaces until flat. I usually keep a small stone around for this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bandman posted:

While reading the newspaper, I attempted to scroll up with my finger, as if I were reading on my phone. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?

The internet makes you stupid.

I often look for the ctrl+F in newspapers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mafoose posted:

Try not using rtv, use new crush washers, and lap the fittings and sealing surfaces until flat. I usually keep a small stone around for this.

The bus (and beetle) use these 3mm thick silicone washers, and both the cooler and the block have slightly recessed circles:

The bus uses the ones in the picture that are orange, but they're only as thick as the green ones. My beetle originally used the black style, but I had to switch to the green when I upgraded the cooler from the pre-1600DP style (in the airflow that cools the LH cylinders) to the 1600DP style (uses an adapter to move the cooler forwards in the car four inches, giving it it's own airflow box and exhaust). The new cooler has a 10mm diameter, whereas the block had the old 8mm diameter, and the green ones in the picture are adapter-style seals.

Since the rings start out like they do on the green and orange ones, and end up squished like the black leftmost ones after awhile installed, I figured that surrounding the outside of the seals, and the area in-between the two seals (they're about 2cm apart) with some RTV may help them from blowing out, maybe (?)

In other news:
So, today I ran through the spool of wire the welder came with, patching up small pinholes and generally learning the machine. The second, the second I switched over to the lincoln wire, everything was a thousand percent easier to use. Instead of the weld bubbling up and spattering and generally being a poo poo, the weld was mixing with the base metal and spreading out, creating a smooth surface. The welder itself also seemed to be about three times as powerful; before, when I was welding on thin metal, I would generally have to switch between the "I" and "II" settings (amperage?) depending on how close I was to a captive nut or another large thermal mass. After switching to the new wire, I never had to switch out of "I," and I would occasionally blow through the thinner or slightly rusted (I lapped everything shiny with the angle grinder and flap discs beforehand) areas.

So, for any future people that may end up reading these posts, let me tell you the steps to take when you buy a lovely Chinese welder:

Step 1: Open the box, and remove all of the contents.
Step 2: Make sure everything is present that should be. Welder, cords, handles, wheels, etc.
Step 3: Take the spool of wire that comes with the welder, and throw it away.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got sick of my credit union constantly loving up deposits. If I made them in person, no problem. If I used the night drop or ATM, there was about a 10% chance something would get hosed up.

Switched to a CU that's new to the area, but not new in general - RBFCU. Sadly, they don't have ATMs that accept deposits, but they have a night drop, free checks (so I have some deposit slips for now, but seriously, who writes checks today? They sent 5 pads of them... I wrote exactly zero checks in the 3 years I had my last account), and they claim they start doing the night drop deposits well before they open for the day. They also have a branch 2 miles from work, and an ATM walking distance from the house (a little under a mile). I went ahead and dropped :10bux: on a box of deposit slips (with carbonless duplicates, so I can actually keep track of deposits, since most of them will be after-hours).

The downside: until their computers "learn my habits", depositing my payroll checks will give me $200 instant credit, and the rest gets a 7 business day hold. :argh: Hopefully that won't take too long, but I went ahead and took today's paycheck to a check cashing place (then deposited the cash) just so I could get my car payment made. I'm told it might be a few weeks, longest they've seen is 6 months.

Enourmo posted:

That's exactly how I did it. I still have the original HDD with the original install of Windows 8... somewhere.

Geirskogul posted:

Low BP can be literally anything. From dehydration, to the person's functioning, normal baseline. Also, as we've discussed before STR, electronic BP cuffs that aren't attached to a cardiac monitor are sometimes unreliable, though we do respect the ones that "plug into the wall" (ie: cost more than $40) than the standard Walgreens/CVS garbage. After all, a human ear is unreliable as gently caress as a comparison. From what I remember from FB chat you have a good one, though.

Full perfusion of the brain doesn't occur until you have a solid 70 (we like 80) systolic, so anything in the 90's is A-okay.

Yeah, it's a 7 series Omron (considerably more than $40 when I got it at Wal-Mart.. should have bought it online), and it's within a few points of the arm cuff style Omron we have (7 series as well), and also within a few points of the machine my doctor has. I know no two readings will be alike even when taken back to back anyway. It does seem to get pretty inaccurate (reading on the low side) when the batteries get low, but the low battery indicator is usually on by then. It has pretty high reviews too.

That was the lowest I've seen it though. And I am overweight, but no longer obese (I'm ~185, should be about 160, down from 230), and I do exercise quite a bit more than I used to.

FWIW, my stepdad is in store management at Walgreens (and has been for over 15 years), and he even tells me to never buy a Walgreens (or any store brand) brand BP machine or glucose reader; always Omron 7 or 10 series for BP, and Bayer or OneTouch for glucose. I've stuck with that advice; the wrist cuff one I have is a BN652, and I have a Bayer Contour Next USB glucose meter that syncs with Glooku for Android over a USB OTG cable (so I can print off a PDF for my doctor instead of having to write everything down).

Great Beer posted:

This was all over reddit and imgur yesterday so either your friends wife is famous or lying.

I just re-read the comments on the picture. It wasn't from his wife. :doh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 7, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The downside: until their computers "learn my habits", depositing my payroll checks will give me $200 instant credit, and the rest gets a 7 business day hold. :argh: Hopefully that won't take too long, but I went ahead and took today's paycheck to a check cashing place (then deposited the cash) just so I could get my car payment made. I'm told it might be a few weeks, longest they've seen is 6 months.

Did they give you any explanation why? I can understand holding the deposit for a day or two to confirm it posts, but this is basically giving the CU an interest-free 7 day loan.

Are there any other benefits at the new CU that makes this worth putting up with?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FWIW, my stepdad is in store management at Walgreens (and has been for over 15 years),

Please ask him why Walgreens has terrible music in all of their stores (at least here on the West Coast). I'm not even joking.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

Please ask him why Walgreens has terrible music in all of their stores (at least here on the West Coast). I'm not even joking.

Agreed, its pretty terrible everywhere. I worked for a contractor to FujiFilm for 8 years and spent a good chunk of that time working in one-hour photo labs at Walgreens in six different states. Definitely not a regional thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They said it's part of their risk management, and said the 6 months is at the extreme end. I generally keep enough in checking that it won't be much of an issue anyway, and they're a very well established and strong CU (1940s, over $6B in assets, and they make their P&L/asset&debt statements public and easy to find). Looking over their member agreement/policy booklet, it sounds like they'll likely only do that for 30 days as long as a payroll check doesn't bounce, after which funds will be available as soon as they hand me the receipt for the deposit. I'm guessing the person who said 6 months may have been misinformed?

quote:

Special Rules for New Accounts
If you are a new member, the following special rules will apply during the first 30 days of your membership....... <snip>

Funds from all other check deposits will be available on the seventh business day after the day of your deposit.

As for the why... I get a 10 cent rebate every time I use my debit card (refunded yearly), yearly dividends, free overdraft protection if the funds are available in savings (my old CU would charge a fee if they transferred funds from savings), their online banking is worlds better than my last CU (I'd put it a little below USAA's online banking, which is saying something, while my last CU used an off the shelf Intuit frontend that was pretty crappy), NSF fees below the industry standard ($24 vs $35), $1 cashier checks or money orders, and downright cheap safe deposit boxes (starting at $20/year; the size I want is $30/year - the same size box is $40/yr at my old CU). Minimum balance of $1 in savings, vs $25 at my old CU. Their drive through is also open until 6pm, which will be nice for days when I get off by 5pm.

So a lot of pluses and only a couple of minuses. It's a bit further of a drive to the actual branch (2 miles north of work instead of on the way home), but there's an ATM in the parking lot of the Walmart Neighborhood Market just outside of my subdivision if I want to make a withdrawal, and there's hundreds of thousands of ATMs I can use without any fees.

Also, I just found out my old CU is getting audited :haw:. Old one was once taken over by NCUA (didn't know until after I'd joined), and was controlled by them for several years to keep them out of bankruptcy.

CharlesM posted:

:confused: I don't think they play music in their stores here, except during the holidays, at least from what I remember. But I'm pretty much never inside a Walgreens; I fill my scripts at Kroger for those sweet sweet fuel points, and buy my test strips on Amazon.

The photo tech at a Walgreens in my delivery area orders at least once a week; I don't recall hearing music in there the other day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 7, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

So, i have been abit absent from the chat thread lately, mostly because i had a small rebar incicdent the last weekend of semptember and somewhat because i just hang out in neai...

and to ruin everyone elses day, i am just going to leave this selfie here

Since you don't have PMs... care to explain this?

One of those articles

Or this?

Wreck that happened two years ago in NY.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo! I was going to post about how I only had to use the fire extinguisher once today while welding on the bus (undercoating caught fire, there is now white powder everywhere) but holy poo poo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This... might get interesting. :suspense: :f5:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 7, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:confused: I don't think they play music in their stores here, except during the holidays, at least from what I remember. But I'm pretty much never inside a Walgreens; I fill my scripts at Kroger for those sweet sweet fuel points, and buy my test strips on Amazon.

The photo tech at a Walgreens in my delivery area orders at least once a week; I don't recall hearing music in there the other day.

Count yourself lucky. Generally its sappy 70s wuss rock that appeals to the 50-80 retiree shopping in the middle of the day demo (at least when I was generally there.)

They also had a bad habit of selling some CD at the checkouts (probably not anymore, but this was in the mid-late 2000s) and they'd play the first ~30 seconds of a track from it while pitching it to customers, about once every 15-20 minutes. Gets on your nerves fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What...what is going on?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

As someone who went through Catholic school until post secondary I'll just say there is only so many times you can hear that water into wine story before it loses some of its lustre.

As someone who went through a Christian school, I completely agree. Also, having lived through the religious school experience from 4-12, Black Jesus is now officially the best show . For the bonus round,"I'd like to challenge you young people to...." :haw:

In all honesty, I'm pretty sure my parents put me there because our local public schools were absolute dog poo poo, it's not my folks are really religious themselves. Mostly, just memorize this crap for friday so you get an A, I don't care if you remember it past then or not.

edit: Also, Fjelltorsk what the gently caress is going on in that pic?

keykey fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

What...what is going on?

I don't know, but I'm going to need someone to help me make all this popcorn.

What's the bbcode for the stonk+popcorn smile anyway? I couldn't find it, but my glasses are in the car and and and :effort:

keykey posted:

As someone who went through a Christian school, I completely agree. Also, having lived through the religious school experience from 4-12, Black Jesus is now officially the best show . For the bonus round,"I'd like to challenge you young people to...." :haw:

I went to a Baptist school for several years. :cripes: Probably has a lot to do with my mistrust of religion in general, a mistrust I've only started to get over in the past 5 years or so. I got an rear end whoopin from the principal several times in loving first grade for forgetting a book or bible in the classroom, and an rear end whoopin from teachers in kindergarten because I could never fall asleep during "nap time" (I've had bad insomnia my whole life).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't know, but I'm going to need someone to help me make all this popcorn.

I was about to head to bed but now I dare not.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:aaaaa:

Holy loving poo poo

And STR the emote is :suspense:. How appropriate.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of those articles

Or this?

Wreck that happened two years ago in NY.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
fjelltorsk: no longer posting in AI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If this revelation ends with two balls I am going to be SO PISSED.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yellow Mustang Mach II's are signs of heritage, not hate

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sheeeeiiiiit!

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 7, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I went to a Baptist school for several years.

Our school didn't do swats or anything like that. The only time I got in trouble was for changing the deck the halls lyrics in 6th grade on our classroom apple 2c. Something along the lines of deck the halls with Santa's balls or something. In any case, my dad got a pretty good laugh and said while trying not to smile, yet still cracking one "yeah, don't do that.."

The other time my dad was late dropping me off 3 times in a semester when I was a freshman. We lived 15 miles away so its not like I could walk or ride my bike. In any case, I called my dad and he said "what's this teach you?" I said "wait.. What the hell? What do you mean what does this teach me?" "Yeah.. Don't trust anybody to do things for you." *click* thanks dad.. He still laughs at that story. To be honest, I think it's pretty funny too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

These weren't swats. There were paddles involved if it was the principal. If it was because I couldn't fall asleep during nap time, it was a swat hard enough to nearly knock me off of the mat.

I mean, I'd be up for something like that today with the right person, but for different reasons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yellow Mustang Mach II's are signs of heritage, not hate

I think this is a little more Zordon than WWC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

IOwnCalculus posted:

[snip]

:captainpop:

• Locked thread