Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

The last arab army worth a poo poo was under loving Saladin

Do the Turks count? They were doing pretty good for a while there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Turks aren't Arabs. Is it just countries on the Arabian peninsula and north of it that have this problem, or does it crop up in North Africa as well?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Turks don't count as arabs. They're more related to the Balkan's than Central Asia iirc. Ottomans definitely did some loving work though.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kavak posted:

Turks aren't Arabs. Is it just countries on the Arabian peninsula and north of it that have this problem, or does it crop up in North Africa as well?

Yeah, definitely. Libya lost the Toyota War against Chad. And Egypt has hasn't won wars since it was ruled by the Albanian Muhammad Ali Pasha.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, definitely. Libya lost the Toyota War against Chad. And Egypt has hasn't won wars since it was ruled by the Albanian Muhammad Ali Pasha.

That explains how they got anywhere in that rebellion.

Okay, serious question, what was the last time a native Arab leader waged a big successful war? Because it looks like they've been choking since they fought Charlemagne.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kavak posted:

That explains how they got anywhere in that rebellion.

Okay, serious question, what was the last time a native Arab leader waged a big successful war? Because it looks like they've been choking since they fought Charlemagne.

Saddam invaded Kuwait pretty successfully :shrug:

I mean, that was successful to a point, y'know.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Thump! posted:

Saddam invaded Kuwait pretty successfully :shrug:

I mean, that was successful to a point, y'know.

Arabs vs. non-Arabs, then.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kavak posted:

Arabs vs. non-Arabs, then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_conquest_of_Hispania

The Golden Horde pretty much obliterated the arab world to the point where they're still recovering to this day. Hell the population Iran didn't recover from when the Khwarezmid's got trounced until the 20th loving century. Remember kids don't talk poo poo to people with the last name of Khan

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dilettante. posted:

The Saudis are losing a lot of cool poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSDxPo7KNs

This must be what the Russians feel when we roll over one of their buyers without any issue "Of course that poo poo sucks when you loving don't even try to use it right"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bolow posted:

The Golden Horde pretty much obliterated the arab world to the point where they're still recovering to this day. Hell the population Iran didn't recover from when the Khwarezmid's got trounced until the 20th loving century. Remember kids don't talk poo poo to people with the last name of Khan

Yeah, that was what Charlemagne tried to stop. But that makes sense- "Genghis Khan" is the shortest valid answer to a lot of historical questions.

Also Khan's a title, not a last name.
:goonsay:/:spergin:

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Bolow posted:

Pretty sure horsemen in a modern conventional war...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Booblord Zagats posted:

This must be what the Russians feel when we roll over one of their buyers without any issue "Of course that poo poo sucks when you loving don't even try to use it right"

I wonder if our Monkey Models are as downgraded as the Russian ones.

APDS with a third of the penetration lol

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know about the Saudis, but I heard the Abrams sold to the Iraqis were just 80's vintage tanks that had been refurbed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.facebook.com/IndonesiaMilitaryUpdateNews/videos/890573557688997/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Marines.mpeg

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

lol that loving hatch bouncing

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder if our Monkey Models are as downgraded as the Russian ones.

APDS with a third of the penetration lol

IIRC our export models don't have Chobham and are just good old RHA Steel instead

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Heard Armenians love them Turks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bolow posted:

IIRC our export models don't have Chobham and are just good old RHA Steel instead

Almost certainly correct. Unless there's some kind of intermediate plating.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

totally expected that thing to sink.

p disappointed it didn't sink.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh I had the GI Joe version of that. It was pretty loving awesome.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GyverMac posted:

Some of those vehicles didnt even look damaged, I guess they just jumped out and hosed off at the first sign of trouble.

From what I've heard about the fighting with ISIS, that's literally exactly what happens. Iraqi Abrams crews take minor damage but get so scared that they're about to explode that they just bail and run.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You're telling me that the Iraqi army has no mettle?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

holocaust bloopers posted:

:monocle:

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Idk, I'm sure a good amount of them have a decent amount of lead and steel shrapnel in 'em.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

totally expected that thing to sink.

p disappointed it didn't sink.

Considering how often US AAVs sink, yeah I wasn't even sure their AAVs could drive.

Although seeing a Thai AAV drive by with a roadwheel flying off and the crew chief on top in a lawn chair was pretty boss. SE Asian AAV crews truly give less of a gently caress than US AAV crews, and that's saying something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Russian jets over Syria

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I just love the "Totally not the Soviet Union, honest" star they now use.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

I just love the "Totally not the Soviet Union, honest" star they now use.

There's photos of Russian armor in Ukraine that has had the loving hammer & sickle painted on by the crew.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

the soviet union never really died guys

it just took a vodka and krokodil-tinged vacation for a while

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

There's photos of Russian armor in Ukraine that has had the loving hammer & sickle painted on by the crew.

Do they really want a repeat of what happened last time the Soviets fought a bunch of muzzies? I sure do :getin:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

BaconAndBullets posted:

Do they really want a repeat of what happened last time the Soviets fought a bunch of muzzies? I sure do :getin:

Rambo 3 II

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

"...and the Russian advisers keep telling us, 'retreat, and wait for the snows of winter to bury your enemies so that you can counter-attack.'"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Say what you will, but now that the Tornado and the 'Vark are gone, I have a lot of love for the Fencer.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Frosted Flake posted:

Say what you will, but now that the Tornado and the 'Vark are gone, I have a lot of love for the Fencer.

Tornados are still around

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Swingwings with single stabs are an abomination unto the Lord. :colbert:

Except the Bone.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Is the Fencer like the Mig-23 where it only has a manual control for the swings, making it super loving dangerous to fly?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
God's true swing wing is the Tomcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

God's true swing wing is the Tomcat.

Well, yeah. Blessed be thy fly by