Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Do mods work on OSX? Because there's always this http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/

Yeah they do but it's an absolute clusterfuck getting them to work.

I think there's a wineskin wrapped Weidu out there somewhere on the Beamdog Forums. To get it to work on anything including Mavericks and above you'll have to use the -sudo command to give you super user access. After that and a little bit of tinkering all the standard mods will work e.g. SCS.

Also finding the actual folder with the install files on mac is a complete nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

Entropy238 posted:

Yeah they do but it's an absolute clusterfuck getting them to work.

I think there's a wineskin wrapped Weidu out there somewhere on the Beamdog Forums. To get it to work on anything including Mavericks and above you'll have to use the -sudo command to give you super user access. After that and a little bit of tinkering all the standard mods will work e.g. SCS.

Also finding the actual folder with the install files on mac is a complete nightmare.

I play these games on OSX and this guide on the Beamdog Forums is pretty easy to follow: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx

You just need to see if there are OSX versions of the mods you want. Most of the major ones have it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
actually installing weido mods on os x is real simple. I have full SCS installed and i just had to do some simple terminal poo poo to make it work.

I forgot all about the lvl npc mod! Thanks man. Also thank you for the editor, i couldn't it on google.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Wait, is that NPC mod for BG2 as well?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dyna Soar posted:

Wait, is that NPC mod for BG2 as well?

I've only ever used it in BG2. I don't know if it's EE compatible though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I've only ever used it in BG2. I don't know if it's EE compatible though.

Can you use it for a game you've already started? I just tried to install it but it said I need to have the base component installed, so I guess it doesn't work with EE.

How the hell can I easily edit Jaheira into a Ranger / Cleric and Viconia into a Cleric / Thief with EE Keeper :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dyna Soar posted:

Can you use it for a game you've already started? I just tried to install it but it said I need to have the base component installed, so I guess it doesn't work with EE.

How the hell can I easily edit Jaheira into a Ranger / Cleric and Viconia into a Cleric / Thief with EE Keeper :(

Found this digging around

quote:

Open Shadowkeeper and open the game you want to adjust.

Note the experience points, you'll need them later.

Do the following:
Set hp (max and current) to 1.
Set level to 0 / 0 / 0.
Set experience to 1.
Erase all proficiencies.
Erase all spells (and inate abilities).
Set class to monk.
Set all the thieving skills to 0.
Also set the 'to hit' to 20 (just to be sure -- I don't think you need to though).

Save the file and quit.

Restart SoA and choose the edited game. Minsc will need to level up. Follow the level up as normal and Minsc should a level 1 monk.

Save the game under a new name and quit.

Go back into shadowkeeper and adjust the experience points back to whatever they were (or cheat and give him more). Save and quit.

Go BACK into SoA. You should get another level up indicator. Bingo! You have your Butt Kicking For Goodness Monk at the level appropriate to your experience.

The only thing left is to use SK once again to adjust your hit points to what you feel is appropriate.

I did this not long ago to make Barbarian Minsc and Avenger Jaheira. They work just fine.

Should work with most other class combos in EEKeeper, though you'll have to tweak a thief's skills since other wise they won't have the level 1 skill points.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^
Thanks! That did the trick. Now I don't have to keep Nalia around, made Viconia into a Cleric / Mage.

Web is just so good it's almost broken. Spam 4-5 webs and cast free movement or w/e the spell was called on your best fighter. You can pretty much concentrate on casters with everyone else while your fighter walks around and kills everyone caught in the web. The simple things often work best, hah.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have just finished chapter 3 of BG2:EE and my kensai is now level 13. I am wondering if there is any benefit to dual-classing at this late stage and if so what I should go for - or if the pure high level kensai is good enough as is?
Rest of my party is
Minsc
Jaheira
Anomen
Rasaad
Nalia

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Level 13 is when warriors gain their last innate extra half attack per round. From this point on they don't really get any better beyond +1 THAC0 per level until 20. It's the latest ideal time to dual into a mage or thief, both of which can improve survivability and deadliness in their own way. Unfortunately getting to level 14 as a thief of mage to reactivate your kensai abilities will take a while.

A pure kensai is still very strong as you'll keep getting +1 THAC0 +1 damage every 3 level until you hit the experience cap and you won't have to go through the downtime period of dual classing. You'll remain very squishy though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So how if I do go mage, how long until I can use kensai skills again? I imagine it will be a very long time and possibly not even worth it?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It would take 1.5 million exp to reach mage level 14 to reactive your kensai abilities. Assuming you're thorough this would be late-ish Shadows of Amn as there's more than 3 million worth of experience points to be had.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How about going for a cleric? Or will that prevent me from using all the good bladed weapons when I reach level 14?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

BadAstronaut posted:

How about going for a cleric? Or will that prevent me from using all the good bladed weapons when I reach level 14?

Yeah that's it exactly, no bladed. If I were you I'd multi to thief, it won't take much time at all to get to level 14 thief, they level fast as hell, and it will give you access to all items like armor and helms etc. Traps and a hyper powerful backstab are no joke! You can actually easily solo the game with a Kensai/Thief.

There are still debates about if kensai/mage or kensai/thief are more powerful, but they are equally powerful imo, they just play differently and the thief is doable with a 13 kensai where I'd only change to mage with a kensai 9 so that it didn't take as long. Just not worth it only having your build actually come on line for the last part of the game.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You won't be able to use bladed weapons ever again if you dual to a cleric. The best synergies are mage or thief. Mage because there's a lot of good defensive and offensive buffs to use, plus you get to be a mage and will have access to level 9 spells eventually in Throne of Bhaal. Thief will let you use Use Any Item to lift the kensai item restrictions, and you'll get to play with traps and backstab fools for over 100 damage if that's your thing. Reaching level 14 as a thief only takes 880k exp, which is a little more than half the downtime of dualing to a mage.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Kensai / Thiefs are really fun to play imo. Sure it's backstab backstab backstab but goddamn you're the best backstabber in the game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK I am going to try it. I think I just lost a good level up or three by going into Spellhold and completing the dream sequence with Imoen and Bhaal. That 48500xp... is it 'wasted' now? Should I try reload and dual before it?

EDIT: Just did it and my thief jumped up to level 7.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 6, 2015

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Kensai/Thief can be fun but I don't think when push comes to shove they're ever going to anywhere near as powerful as a Kensai/Mage.

Traps and UAI are great but most of the hardest/frustrating enemies in the game are immune to backstabs. Even for enemies that aren't immune to the backstab with the Kensai/Thief you'll only get "one shot" at making that backstab before you have to re-invis with an item or potion - with the K/M you can cast mislead, improved haste, spell immunity divination, spell immunity abjuration and essentially make yourself invulnerable to most enemies that don't naturally see through invisibility and hit with ten attacks per round (max for a K/T will be 5 without items). So while a K/T might be able to nuke something for like 300 damage a K/M will probably make that damage up anyway in additional attacks, or even if they don't what you were trying to kill was probably going to be dead anyway (the key exception being mages with contingencies which doing a huge chunk of damage in one hit will work really well on).

A K/T could be pretty cool with Carsomyr though you don't get that backstab bonus and the dispel-on-hit won't work VS protection from magic weapons.

F/M variants are also the best tanks in the game with protection from magic weapons/stoneskin - in addition to all of the other utility that comes from being a mage.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ Then again Kensai / Mage is possibly the most powerful class in the whole game. At high levels you can solo most encounters with the buffs you mentioned.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Pretty much. I think a Berserker/Mage probably has a slight edge but any non-Wizard Slayer F/M variant is munchkin strong.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Well I went Kensai Thief and now I need to figure out how to backstab. Is it Hide in Shadows -> Get behind enemy -> normal attack?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Well I went Kensai Thief and now I need to figure out how to backstab. Is it Hide in Shadows -> Get behind enemy -> normal attack?

That's the gist of it yeah.

Traps --> backstab --> lure them to your traps --> invis or hide again and backstab :c00lbert:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So what happens at level 14? Can I start using all kensai weapons and abilities? Does this affect my thief-ness at all (in the way that wearing any armour makes a dual/multi mage unable to cast)?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

So what happens at level 14? Can I start using all kensai weapons and abilities? Does this affect my thief-ness at all (in the way that wearing any armour makes a dual/multi mage unable to cast)?

You just get all your kensai abilities back. It will affect your thief abilities so that you won't be abled to use any bows or bracers anymore, basically the Kensai class kicks back in and the restrictions from both classes apply to your character.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Until you reach a high enough level that High Level Abilities kick in and you get to pick Use Any Item which lifts all item restrictions.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

When does that happen? I am playing BG2:EE on the ipad - I am guessing this HLA selection is included in that version too? Or does it only happen in Throne of Bhaal, which I do want to import this character into.

Um, this is weird. Shouldn't a thief be able to use leather armour, shortbows, crossbows and darts? Is the fact that my character was previously a Kensai preventing him from equipping any ranged weapons?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 6, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

BadAstronaut posted:

When does that happen? I am playing BG2:EE on the ipad - I am guessing this HLA selection is included in that version too? Or does it only happen in Throne of Bhaal, which I do want to import this character into.

Um, this is weird. Shouldn't a thief be able to use leather armour, shortbows, crossbows and darts? Is the fact that my character was previously a Kensai preventing him from equipping any ranged weapons?

Your first HLA comes at 3 million total xp? Then the next level after that is your first HLA, so you'll want to take "Use Any Items" first, and then a timestop trap or two and after that do whatever.

And yes, it's preventing you from using everything, when two classes combine they also combine weapon and armor restrictions, so you'll have to wait till you get UAI and then you can equip armor and everything else.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
HLAs at 3 million xp total is for multi-classes. Dual classes get them when their active class reaches 3 million, so at first class xp + 3 million, or 4.5 million in his case.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

It sounds like that will take a very long time. Is this going to be Throne of Bhaal only?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
If you do everything available that isn't NPC specific in vanilla SoA, (So not doing EE exclusive quests or Watcher's Keep) you should be able to get to 3 Million XP per character (with a full party of six) before the end of Chapter 6.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Also none of the enemies in SoA get any HLA's, they were introduced in ToB.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

It sounds like that will take a very long time. Is this going to be Throne of Bhaal only?

I'd just run eekeeper and give myself the UAI HLA at this point. I'd bet if you had thought ahead earlier you would have dueled at a lower level anyway and you would already have it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So I just finished Pillars of Eternity and am really enjoying that everyone says this is the game that inspired that game. What are the differences? Is it pretty much the same? Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced Edition is what I was going to buy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

So I just finished Pillars of Eternity and am really enjoying that everyone says this is the game that inspired that game. What are the differences? Is it pretty much the same? Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced Edition is what I was going to buy.

The mechanics of the games are very, very different.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm very familiar with AD&D. I have actually played D&D with Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax. Not at the same time : (. No I am not joking. Dave Arneson was kind of sexist and Gygax was just odd. Just wondering like for comparison does it have more involvement or less involvement.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm very familiar with AD&D. I have actually played D&D with Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax. Not at the same time : (. No I am not joking. Dave Arneson was kind of sexist and Gygax was just odd. Just wondering like for comparison does it have more involvement or less involvement.

Less involvement, there aren't near as many ability checks in conversations, the vast majority of quests only have 1 or 2 solutions (a normal one and an evil one, often comically evil). Characters that aren't spell casters generally have much fewer tactical options in combat beyond weapon choices.

Don't get me wrong, I love BG2, but it's obviously from another era than Pillars.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
However, the game being so unbalanced gives you a lot more room to manoeuvre. There are a lot of things that just aren't possible in a more balanced game like Pillars.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Is there any word on a release date for Siege of Dragonspear?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hollismason posted:

What other people have said, the UI and perspective are pretty similar, you should be able to pick it up easily. By late BG2 (certainly by Throne of Bhaal) it will have caught up in terms of micromanagement, since the only challenging things past level 12 or so are mage duels where you've got one or two casters debuffing / attacking the enemy casters and probably a cleric buffing or dispelling debuffs.

In terms of story and I'd actually say that BG2 is much more substantial (though credit to Obsidian, they were under some very tight constraints). The plot is straightforward and propulsive (Bioware's greatest strength as a design house, more or less), with a good villain and just the right level of stakes (properly established, unlike PoE's) that progressively escalate so that when you get to the insane epic level melodrama it feels well-earned. One thing that BG2 has that none of its descendants had is substantial, frequent and / or serial conversations between party members. The tack that Bioware's taken since (and Obsidian also adopted, for the most part) was to make CNPCs react solely to what the PC does or says.* From a design standpoint this makes good sense, but characters getting into spats or telling each other stories without player input made them feel more alive in BG2. Maybe that's just me.

It does not, however, have much in the way of PoE's strength of characterization, though there are exceptions - everyone typically hates one or more of the optional love interest CNPCs but in or out of that context Jaheira's a well-conceived and patiently built character. Keldorn's a pretty good non-Dudley Do Right paladin, etc. Just stay away from Cernd and you'll be fine.

* You could count non-cutscened ambient bark banter here, like the kind in Dragon Age or PoE, but I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Washout posted:

I'd just run eekeeper and give myself the UAI HLA at this point. I'd bet if you had thought ahead earlier you would have dueled at a lower level anyway and you would already have it.

I am playing on iPad so there's not much I can do. I will just have to make this an incredibly thorough playthrough with my currently very weak thief character... level 8 thief and level 13 kensai by the way/