Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Everyone knows that puttees are the real best way of displaying the lower leg in all weathers bahahahaha no I can't even do that as a joke they're the most ridiculous thing
google petticoat breeches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Baller as gently caress. Puttees just make even the hardest VC winner look like he's got a stack of coins for legs.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
who invented them? and for what purpose

also, this dude says hi

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
he looks very aerodynamic

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!
Does anyone have a book recommendation (or feel like writing an effort post) on the development of tank suspension? Mainly looking for something that covers through WWII but more recent content is welcome too.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'll crosspost something I wrote up for the scale modelling thread:

Throbbing blob posted:

Ahem, let me sort of contribute to the thread again. :siren:Another long-winded post incoming!:siren:

Meet Dannebrog, the last ship-of-the-line to be built for the Danish Fleet.

She was completed in 1850 in the Naval Shipyard I showed you in my last long-winded post. With a complement of 692 sailors and 72 guns, she was a powerful ship, fully up to the standards of post-Napoleonic ships-of-the-line of the other European nations.

Detail shots:

Oh, and just for Locator and his love of rope coils:

She was the 4th ship to be named 'Dannebrog' in the Fleet, being named for the Danish flag. An earlier Dannebrog, lost in 1710, was captained by Ivar Hvitfeldt, one of the greatest Danish-Norwegian war-heroes, but I'll get to that in another post with accompanying model-pictures.

The interesting thing about Dannebrog is that she was built so late, just on the cusp of the domination of ironclads. In fact, she was rebuilt in the first half of the 1860's to modern specifications. Thus, we can see the development of naval ships as exemplified in the same ship in two different versions.

Meet Dannebrog, one of the first ironclads in the Danish Fleet:

With the introduction of more efficient artillery, the number of guns have been reduced to just 16! That way, the crew has been reduced to less than half: 330 people! Much more economic and efficient.

Detail shots:

She wasn't decommissioned until 1897! Of course, this probably meant she spent at least the last 20 years of her service as a barracks ship for the enlisted personnel of Holmen. I'm told that it was a uniquely unpleasant experience to be assigned barracks space in one of these old hulks.

If anybody want to see ships models of a specific time period, we have everything from the 1500's to modern era ships. We also have construction models showing the interiors of a ship-of-the-line, the hull construction and also engines and turrets of the great armoured ships of the late 1800's-early 1900's. We also have the original interior of one of our 50's era submarines. Oh, and a great big model of Holmen in the 1960's, if anybody wants to see the difference between enlightenment era naval bases and cold war naval bases.
I'll also try and take pics of specific parts of the models if anybody have any special details they're interested in.

Edit: Sorry about the reflections. I'm really trying to get the angle of least reflection, but it's kinda hard to juggle both the object I want to snap, and try to minimise reflection. Enjoy my terrible cheap shirt.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 6, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Throbbing blob posted:

Now I know Denmark is not exactly a big player on the international stage, being first the whipping boy of Sweden for a hundred years, then a long pause, then Britain and then various Germans.
don't sell yourself short, you've done far more than that

like lost to wallenstein

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Krill Nye posted:

Does anyone have a book recommendation (or feel like writing an effort post) on the development of tank suspension? Mainly looking for something that covers through WWII but more recent content is welcome too.

I have a very technical book on the subject, but it's in Russian. So uh... Stay tuned I guess.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

don't sell yourself short, you've done far more than that

like lost to wallenstein

Well, the deciding battle was actually against Tilly, but still, you're right.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Throbbing blob posted:

I stumbled on this thread a while ago, but wasn't confident enough about my knowledge yet, since I had just begun my BA in history.

you don't need a degree to post in here, just :10bux:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Did those guns in the ironclad Dannebrog shoot solid balls?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Hogge Wild posted:

you don't need a degree to post in here, just :10bux:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I know, but whatever I knew, other people knew more about and they could probably explain better. Now I can tell you in detail about a string of Danish defeats! :marc:

Edit:

Hogge Wild posted:

Did those guns in the ironclad Dannebrog shoot solid balls?

I don't know, but I would guess not. It was refitted in 1862-1864 with rifled artillery. Even the smoothbore guns in the Danish arsenal had some form of hollow grenade, so I'd imagine the most advanced guns used a modern shell. I'll try and remember to ask my boss.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 6, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Throbbing blob posted:

Now I can tell you in detail about a string of Danish defeats! :marc:

But enough about your posting.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throbbing blob posted:

Meet Dannebrog, the last ship-of-the-line to be built for the Danish Fleet.

She was completed in 1850 in the Naval Shipyard I showed you in my last long-winded post. With a complement of 692 sailors and 72 guns, she was a powerful ship, fully up to the standards of post-Napoleonic ships-of-the-line of the other European nations.

Dang, I didn't realize Danish people were so tiny.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

So that's why Hamlet found it so easy to escape the pirates in act 4!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

That might be the reason we lost so many wars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Danish means a nice pastry with a jam center and icing. Doesn't inspire fear though.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

Danish means a nice pastry with a jam center and icing. Doesn't inspire fear though.

Sorry you named a cake after us

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Throbbing blob posted:

you got lucky, sweden was named after a vegetable

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Throbbing blob posted:

Hey, naming a cake after something is the most :britain: compliment possible :colbert:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I got an email from the Zooniverse, an organization that crowd-sources some scientific data collection, that might be of interest to some people in this thread:

quote:

Hey there,

It's my absolute pleasure to let you know that there is another amazing Zooniverse project that really needs your help. It's called Measuring the ANZACs.

The ANZACs were the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during World War I. Despite being a long way from the theater of war, both Australia and New Zealand sent significant numbers of troops to fight in World War I. From a population of just over one million, New Zealand sent 104,000 men and women to Europe, and Australia sent 375,000 from a population of 4.5 million. Casualty rates among ANZAC soldiers were high, with more than half of the soldiers being killed or wounded, leaving an enduring impact on these people and their compatriots.

We need your help to recover the stories of all those who served, from their lives before the war, through their wartime service, and what happened to them afterwards. We want to know more about who enlisted in the war, how healthy they were, what happened to them in service, and how their experiences affected them afterwards.

Putting together thousands of stories of early life experiences, wartime service, and post-war life will help us understand New Zealand's changing society in the twentieth century, and broader international understanding of changes in health, well-being and aging.

Get involved right now at https://www.measuringtheanzacs.org

Cheers,

Grant and the Zooniverse Team

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So who wants an hour of detailed HD video of an 1860s rifled musket?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRWBDHG4uU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPwijH9BrQ

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
How come Japan was pretty much the only Asian country to avoid foreign imperialism and modernize up until the mid-late 21st century?

Also what prevented Africans from effectively fighting back against European Imperialism?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Compared to the other countries in the area Japan's government generally had their poo poo together, its closed society prevented foreign traders from gaining influence/economic leverage, and were able to modernize relatively rapidly once it became clear how outclassed they were.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Also what prevented Africans from effectively fighting back against European Imperialism?

Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So how did Siam stay independent?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

How come Japan was pretty much the only Asian country to avoid foreign imperialism and modernize up until the mid-late 21st century?

For Japan it was mostly because it was really close to China which was a much bigger prize. China had more resources, bigger markets and etc.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

Kind of scary we're suddenly talking about the Soviet disaster in Afghanistan, as I started watching this documentary just before JCDent posted.

Kind of not safe for work, an ambush survivor has a nasty wound he shows to the camera.

Wow that starts with that trademark Russian depression. Is there an American GWOT version of this? So many tanker wreaks from ambushes.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

For Japan it was mostly because it was really close to China which was a much bigger prize. China had more resources, bigger markets and etc.

It probably also helped that before the Suez and the Panama Canal Japan was maybe the furthest from Europe one could possibly go when counting actual travel distance.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Compared to the other countries in the area Japan's government generally had their poo poo together, its closed society prevented foreign traders from gaining influence/economic leverage, and were able to modernize relatively rapidly once it became clear how outclassed they were.

Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.

I realize the Europeans had technological superiority, but we're still talking about foreign powers fighting distant wars against people with the home field advantage and who weren't devastated by plagues like the native Americans.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

unwantedplatypus posted:

I think the being an island thing really helped.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

unwantedplatypus posted:

I suggest Guns, Germs, & Steel by Jared Diamond to get a basic overview of that question. It covers far more than just the usual "Why did white people steamroll everything?" question, but the basic gist of his theory is that geography and climate provided a favorable environment for Eurasia to develop the technology necessary for conquering faster. If you don't want to read a whole book on the subject, Wikipedia summarizes the theory.

One nice example he gave was the conquering of the Moriori by the Maori. Both came from the same group of initial Polynesian settlers, but some of them struck out to colonize the Chatham Islands to the southeast of New Zealand. The Chatham Islands are a colder and less hospitable climate than New Zealand, not suitable for large scale crop production. The settlers who would become the Moriori were forced to revert to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, which was unable to produce a crop surplus that would allow for people not actively engaged in food production to flourish (something necessary to create complex societies and technological innovation). Because of how small and vulnerable their population was, they could only survive by becoming pacifists and settling their disputes through ways that didn't involve bashing the other guy's brains out when he disagreed with you. They even castrated some boys at birth to prevent overpopulation. Of course, when the Maori rediscovered the Moriori they beat the poo poo out of them to the point where they were virtually exterminated and the surviving genes just ended up mixed with the Maori conquerors until there was little trace of what was once the Moriori people.

This is just one small experiment that demonstrates what exactly led to Eurasia (and North Africa) to develop the means to conquer their neighbors so easily.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

Up until the late 1800's, the M.O. in Africa was to plop down a trading post by the coast and trade random poo poo for slaves/ivory/whatever else you wanted. Your local allies would provide you with the stuff you wanted in exchange for European/Arab trade goods. After the scramble for Africa... well, riflemen, Maxim guns, and sheer ruthlessness kept the locals from organizing effective resistance. Especially in a land decimated by 300 years of the slave trade.

Japan survived by not having much worth trading. China was full of all sorts of cool stuff, while Japan had rice and animes. The Portuguese and then the Dutch were happy enough to run a trading station for whatever they wanted to buy/sell, but they were both concentrating on the spice trade, while the Brits and later Americans were mostly concerned with the China trade. Sure, the US "opened up" Japan to trade, but mostly as a market for American manufactured goods, so they didn't really need to do so until a) they had an industrial base worth catering to, and b) had the ability to project power into the Pacific.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

I realize the Europeans had technological superiority, but we're still talking about foreign powers fighting distant wars against people with the home field advantage and who weren't devastated by plagues like the native Americans.

Long story short, European colonies mostly co-opted existing power structures and played opposing parties against each other. Protectorates set up by colonial offices were not a euphemism for annexed land, but the recognition of local power holders of British authority in exchange for British assurance of newly elevated influence.

For the British, Colonial rebellion was usually low-scale and locally suppressed. The greater crises that concerned the government were mutinies of locally-recruited troops, as their loss necessitated the transportation of regular army units which were not plentiful. This happens in India, Uganda, and Sudan, among other places.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Long story short, European colonies mostly co-opted existing power structures and played opposing parties against each other. Protectorates set up by colonial offices were not a euphemism for annexed land, but the recognition of local power holders of British authority in exchange for British assurance of newly elevated influence.

For the British, Colonial rebellion was usually low-scale and locally suppressed. The greater crises that concerned the government were mutinies of locally-recruited troops, as their loss necessitated the transportation of regular army units which were not plentiful. This happens in India, Uganda, and Sudan, among other places.

You also have big swaths of areas 'claimed' by Europeans but not really under their control. Pretty big chunks of Africa's interior, a few Saharan oasis towns, Anatolia, depending on how you count 'European,' and big chunks of Siberia/steppe land in Central Asia. Also I think Siam technically only folded under Japan (and kept their King), mostly because if was a convenient buffer between French Indochina and British Malay/Burma.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

China's government during the Tongzhi restoration had its poo poo sort of together, but it was also completely committed to Confucian Conservatism. They tried to adopt the technology like rifles and steamships but balked at the social and economic reorganization associated with modernizing along western lines. Japan much more fully committed.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

sullat posted:

Japan survived by not having much worth trading. China was full of all sorts of cool stuff, while Japan had rice and animes. The Portuguese and then the Dutch were happy enough to run a trading station for whatever they wanted to buy/sell, but they were both concentrating on the spice trade, while the Brits and later Americans were mostly concerned with the China trade. Sure, the US "opened up" Japan to trade, but mostly as a market for American manufactured goods, so they didn't really need to do so until a) they had an industrial base worth catering to, and b) had the ability to project power into the Pacific.

Japan was a rich nation that produced silk and porcelain, in addition to being a large market, if not as big a market as China. In fact Japan continued trading with Asian states throughout the Edo Period, primarily Chinese but also South-East Asian partners as well, so long as they flew Chinese flags. Before Perry arrived there had already been several efforts to open China, and the market was valuable enough that the Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and English were fighting over access in the 17th century.

In my opinion Japan survived through good luck and good policy. If the sengoku jidai period had happened 100 years later Japan would have ended up like China or worse, and restrictions on trade successfully placed foreign influence and commerce under the Shogun's thumb. By the time the government was serious about modernizing the Dutch had given them all the technical know-how necessary to begin industrializing, and Japan was literate and organized enough to put it into practice.

unwantedplatypus posted:

This question is complicated and varied a lot by colony. On one end of the spectrum you had places like South Africa and French North Africa, where large conventional wars were fought by colonists against local states. However in many places there really weren't any local powers that could resist. Like literally there was no government or even sense of identity beyond the village level. You didn't even have to fight a war to conquer these places, because there wasn't anybody organized enough to put up a fight.

A good example of how this could happen occurs in the novel Things Fall Apart in an Igbo village in Nigeria. One day white guys move in and build a church and market. The villagers are glad, although the church is weird markets mean wealth and prestige. Some people then convert, but the people are afraid to respond, a neighboring village killed a white man and was slaughtered by colonial troops in retribution. Soon colonial administrators come in with enough money to buy support and enough fire-power to scare everyone else into compliance.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

unwantedplatypus posted:

This particular atrocity outrages me. Leopold II does this, in order to give more money to 16 year old French prostitute? The wanton and careless nature of this series of crimes make it even more disgusting to me than the Holocaust.

For those who are unfamiliar, Leopold II convinces people to give him the Congo as his personal fiefdom, he gets his goons to train indigenous thugs, said thugs run around terrorizing the local people into collecting rubber from wild vines, wild vine amount is basically static since they are a wild plant and essentially have a fixed maximum produce per year, other places in the world compete with rubber driving down price, Leopold II increases quotas, already heavily stressed local people are subjected to orgy of violence, including mutilations due to Leopold II's goons requiring that black thugs submit severed right hands of people they killed because they were not trusted to not instead use the (expensive) ammunition for hunting. Massive cycle of poverty and death occurs, money that was produced thereby squandered on various frivolities as per Leopold II's whims.

Essentially you might as well ask what prevented indigenous Americans from effectively fighting back against European imperialism. The sheer mathematics of the amount of energy each group of people had access to made it over before it began. How can any amount of valor, brilliant thought and hard work compete against fossil fuel exploitation? How can even the strongest flesh repel steel?

Klaus88 posted:

Its terrifying that people can read these sorts of stories and still think War is a glorious and honorable activity. :stonk:

IMO I still think it is, because I long for an honorable death in service of a greater cause. I had about two paragraphs written here but I have removed them as they are not really useful to answer your question in a general sense. If you wish to discuss personal opinions I invite you to contact me personally. My pseudonym is known and I do not hide behind the screen of anonymity.

Edit 2: I see now that you were not asking why they could still think this, but instead expressing your distaste for it. Ok, I guess.

Agean90 posted:

i konkur

I've been a moderator for about 4 years on a forum where concurring is a bannable offense. ;)

↓↓↓↓↓ I answer the question that has been asked. My reasons are not yours. My thought processes are not yours either. Suffice it to say there are many people like me, and there have been many in history. You, who have read the elaborations I have now omitted,hopefully understand that this is an oxymoronic conflict essential to the nature of living creatures- that violence is not always undesired.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 7, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Keldoclock posted:

IMO I still think it is, because I long for an honorable death in service of a greater cause. I just haven't found a cause worth dying for. Essentially the thing that draws men like me to war, martial arts, competitive sports etc. is the desire for a definite purpose in life that can be measured, a struggle that will eventually end and with great effort can be surpassed.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Keldoclock posted:

I answer the question that has been asked. My reasons are not yours. My thought processes are not yours either. Suffice it to say there are many people like me, and there have been many in history. You, who have read the elaborations I have now omitted,hopefully understand that this is an oxymoronic conflict essential to the nature of living creatures- that violence is not always undesired.

:wow:

Do you understand now Rabhadh? Is keldoclock, in fact, a tank destroyer?

• Locked thread