Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Spaceman Future! posted:

no its really not

You're right, if given the choice between an unaccountable mostly incompetent foreign military killing people by accident occasionally and an unaccountable mostly incompetent foreign military killing people on purpose constantly I would be completely unable to decide between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Seriously though, whoever made the decision "yes, we are going to bomb these coordinates" should be facing serious charges. (this probably won't happen.) If there's someone who was supposed to connect the MSF's cries of "we're here, don't kill us" to ongoing operations, but didn't, then they should be facing serious charges. (also probably won't happen.)

If there's a process in place that means that nobody really made a decision, and we just bombed a hospital automatically by following procedure, then disband the entire US military and let our country take whatever the hell comes for it.

"I don't know what happened yet, and I don't understand the process, but I've already identified who we need to put on trial because they're probably guilty." FYI this is why the U.S. will never ratify the Rome Statute.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The main point I was trying to make in that post (I argued it badly, tried to remove the post, but this thread moves fast):

If there's a process in place that means that nobody really made a criminal decision, and we just bombed a hospital automatically by following procedure, then that's even worse than someone making a bad decision.

People are tempted to say "see, it's just a bad system, not bad people" and be relieved, but that's the wrong way to look at it. If the system led to this outcome, and you can't pin the blame on individuals but rather a process... that's worse, harder to change, and says much worse things about the US military overall.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Stereotype posted:

You're right, if given the choice between an unaccountable mostly incompetent foreign military killing people by accident occasionally and an unaccountable mostly incompetent foreign military killing people on purpose constantly I would be completely unable to decide between the two.

bombs dont slip out out planes or drones, neither party is accidentally killing anyone, I dont see whay you are trying to assign some sort of moral scale to the established disregard for civilian casualties by either side. after a decade and a half of war the only thing the droopy dog aw shucks U.S. military actions have done is give rise to further resistance groups to fill in the voids we create, what possible upside comes from these deaths at this point?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

The main point I was trying to make in that post (I argued it badly, tried to remove the post, but this thread moves fast):

If there's a process in place that means that nobody really made a criminal decision, and we just bombed a hospital automatically by following procedure, then that's even worse than someone making a bad decision.

People are tempted to say "see, it's just a bad system, not bad people" and be relieved, but that's the wrong way to look at it. If the system is bad, that's worse, harder to change, and says much worse things about the organization overall. If the system led to this outcome, and you can't pin the blame on individuals but rather a process, then the US military is bad. No getting around it.

This may blow your mind, but people can make life-altering decisions based on faulty or incomplete information without committing a criminal act.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Volkerball posted:

:laffo: This sure is a fun cop out for people to resort to in DnD. Here's a documentary on it from known Breitbart affiliate PBS if you're interested in learning something.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/rise-of-isis/

"Obama's War" is also a good Frontline overview of how things went to poo poo, and the role the US withdraw played in it. Granted, I can understand why Obama decided to withdraw (And the collapse of Iraq is far more Maliki's fault anyway, the gently caress), but you can't deny that the shift in policy and commitment towards Iraq going from Bush to Obama helped to set the stage for the ongoing clusterfuck.

It's worth noting that while David Patraeus hosed up royally, during the initial invasion of Iraq he was one of the few US divisional commanders who actually knew what the gently caress he was doing and generally speaking his strategy of pacifying Iraq once he was put in command worked. What's happened in Iraq the past few years has obviously caused everything to go to poo poo again, but that's less of a result of Patraeus' strategy and more a result of the entire country being a giant sham.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Obama's War" is also a good Frontline overview of how things went to poo poo, and the role the US withdraw played in it. Granted, I can understand why Obama decided to withdraw (And the collapse of Iraq is far more Maliki's fault anyway, the gently caress), but you can't deny that the shift in policy and commitment towards Iraq going from Bush to Obama helped to set the stage for the ongoing clusterfuck.

It's worth noting that while David Patraeus hosed up royally, during the initial invasion of Iraq he was one of the few US divisional commanders who actually knew what the gently caress he was doing and generally speaking his strategy of pacifying Iraq once he was put in command worked. What's happened in Iraq the past few years has obviously caused everything to go to poo poo again, but that's less of a result of Patraeus' strategy and more a result of the entire country being a giant sham.

The point of Petraeus strategy was to allow space for a political solution. It was all destined to fail since there was never one really in the offing.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Are you trying to imply the US military doesn't kill people on purpose constantly or something?

At any rate, I'm sure that the doctors and children, as they were being blown apart or burned alive, were comforted by the thought that "At least there's no abundant intentionality."

Dead Reckoning posted:

"I don't know what happened yet, and I don't understand the process, but I've already identified who we need to put on trial because they're probably guilty." FYI this is why the U.S. will never ratify the Rome Statute.

"People that blow up hospitals should face legal repurcussions," hmm yes, this kind of bloodthirsty recklessness sure is a problem.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

This may blow your mind, but people can make life-altering decisions based on faulty or incomplete information without committing a criminal act.

Yes, and I'm saying that the fact that our military is an organization where people get incomplete information and end up blowing up charity hospitals is even worse, a worse thing to exist in the world, than if there were just a single criminally-negligent person in a good system.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Yes, and I'm saying that the fact that our military's process is set up in a way where people get incomplete information and end up blowing up charity hospitals is even worse, a worse thing to exist in the world, than if there were just a single criminally-negligent person in a good system.
Well, once we eliminate the fog and friction of war, a quest that has eluded armies for 4,000 years, we'll be all set.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Spaceman Future! posted:

no its really not

No, he's right. We're technically still better than the Taliban.

So we have that going for us.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, once we eliminate the fog and friction of war, a quest that has eluded armies for 4,000 years, we'll be all set.

Do you not want there to be accountability or something? Do you not realize how bad this looks, and how detrimental to the overall goals in Afghanistan poo poo like this is? If heads don't roll, then the US validates everything Afghani's who think they should be fought are saying. That's horrible, and will negate a lot of time and effort that has been put into rebuilding the country. This didn't happen in a random house on a foot patrol with two witnesses. A fuckload of people were involved in getting those strikes on target, and it's not going to be difficult to figure out exactly what happened and why. The question is whether the US is going to be upfront about it, or try and cover it up because Are Boys at the expense of the overall mission.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dead Reckoning's out for drinks at the local bar. Suddenly some dudes start shouting and pushing one another. Suddenly a guy swings his fist into Dead Reckoning's nose. And keeps doing it for an hour. Someone runs up and asks, "poo poo, that looks like it hurt. Should we call the police or at least yell at that guy?!" As he stuffs napkins up his bleeding nostrils, Dead Reckoning sagely replies "No. There's nothing to be done. It's just the fog of bar brawls."

Dead Reckoning posted:

Somehow I don't think avoiding bombing a hospital that's broadcasting "We're a hospital, please don't bomb" to anyone that will listen requires the perfect knowledge implied in your strawman argument.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yo,what about the post where the guy used acronyms and jargon authentically, you skipped over that one that said it was a warcrime.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If people can get busted for careless driving they sure as hell ought to get busted for careless warring.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

If people can get busted for careless driving they sure as hell ought to get busted for careless warring.

Would it be reckless driving if the Taliban was shooting at the car.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

So a $200 fine?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the Taliban overran that city like a week ago and are currently still actively fighting around the area, so again, this isn't a terrorist attack on a sacrosanct bastion of peace, it is a targeting mistake in an active war zone.

It is bad that it happened, it is always bad when innocent civilians get killed, but it isn't a brutally repressive regime kidnapping, raping, trafficking and murdering thousands while actively trying to kill innocent civilians.

They aren't the same thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Would it be reckless driving if the Taliban was shooting at the car.

Yeah because it's not difficult to avoid crashing into a hospital you were told about even when you say you're being shot at.

mlmp08 posted:

So a $200 fine?

Well there's the issue that the careless warring resulted in a hospital getting destroyed so the war insurance company is going to have to send a war adjuster out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 7, 2015

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
There's no excuse for a military strike on a hospital. That doesn't seem like a very controversial statement, but here we are.

MSF were certainly no angels?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

it is always bad when innocent civilians get killed, but

"we should ensure that those responsible are held accountable and face justice?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look, stuff happens.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Do you not want there to be accountability or something? Do you not realize how bad this looks, and how detrimental to the overall goals in Afghanistan poo poo like this is? If heads don't roll, then the US validates everything Afghani's who think they should be fought are saying. That's horrible, and will negate a lot of time and effort that has been put into rebuilding the country. This didn't happen in a random house on a foot patrol with two witnesses. A fuckload of people were involved in getting those strikes on target, and it's not going to be difficult to figure out exactly what happened and why. The question is whether the US is going to be upfront about it, or try and cover it up because Are Boys at the expense of the overall mission.
Making the U.S. look bad isn't a crime. You're off your gourd if you think this is going to make the last few Afghan (It's Afghan, BTW, Afghani is their currency, well, currency aside from livestock and hashish) fence-sitters tip after fourteen years. No, I don't think some Sergeant who was most certainly trying to make the best of a confusing and fast moving situation or embassy flunky who lost a memo should go on trial for vaguely defined war crimes so that Afghans and D&D posters can nod sagely and say that Someone Has Been Held Accountable. Ditocoaf's suggestion of ~*~putting the system itself on trial~*~ for failing to seamlessly disseminate information across the entire Department of Defense is equally stupid. If you really want to start getting into apportioning blame for undercutting our efforts to stabilize and rebuild Afghanistan, there needs to be a reckoning of souls from the highest reaches of government down to the taxpayers before we get into figuring out whether or not someone calling in an airstrike based on bad info is ruining our decade and a half mission to westernize the graveyard of empires.

Sharkie posted:

Somehow I don't think avoiding bombing a hospital that's broadcasting "We're a hospital, please don't bomb" to anyone that will listen requires the perfect knowledge implied in your strawman argument.
They didn't broadcast anything. You keep lying about this. All MSF claims is that "The bombing continued for more than 30 minutes after American and Afghan military officials in Kabul and Washington were first informed." If the U.S. military actually managed to get from a panicky phone call to Washington D.C. to a cease fire order issued to a specific aircraft in the middle of providing close air support over Afghanistan in 30 minutes, that's commendably fast. Also apparently communication in Afghanistan is no more complex than shouting across a room. Pack it up, Expeditionary Communications Squadrons, we've been paying you too much.

zoux posted:

Yo,what about the post where the guy used acronyms and jargon authentically, you skipped over that one that said it was a warcrime.
You're going to have to be more specific.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad that we, and our military force which is the most most powerful in the world, are at least better than the Taliban. We're just a bit sloppy when furthering our goals in a region, and sometimes accidentally kill some civilians or bomb a hospital. It's a tragedy, but at least we aren't doing it on purpose. I'm sure we'll be more careful next time. We're a force for good in the world.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 7, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sharkie posted:

"we should ensure that those responsible are held accountable and face justice?"

Do you think that someone should face murder charges for this?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm glad that we, and our military force which is the most most powerful in the world, are at least better than the Taliban. We're just a bit sloppy when furthering our goals in a region, and sometimes accidentally kill some civilians or bomb a hospital. It's a tragedy, but at least we aren't doing it on purpose. I'm sure we'll be more careful next time. We're a force for good in the world.

You're being sarcastic but you aren't wrong.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

They didn't broadcast anything. You keep lying about this. All MSF claims is that "The bombing continued for more than 30 minutes after American and Afghan military officials in Kabul and Washington were first informed." If the U.S. military actually managed to get from a panicky phone call to Washington D.C. to a cease fire order issued to a specific aircraft in the middle of providing close air support over Afghanistan in 30 minutes, that's commendably fast. Also apparently communication in Afghanistan is no more complex than shouting across a room. Pack it up, Expeditionary Communications Squadrons, we've been paying you too much.

Oh look at what you forgot to quote:

quote:

MSF wishes to clarify that all parties to the conflict, including in Kabul and Washington, were clearly informed of the precise location (GPS Coordinates) of the MSF facilities – hospital, guest-house, office and an outreach stabilization unit in Chardara (to the north-west of Kunduz). As MSF does in all conflict contexts, these precise locations were communicated to all parties on multiple occasions over the past months, including most recently on 29 September.

The bombing continued for more than 30 minutes after American and Afghan military officials in Kabul and Washington were first informed. MSF urgently seeks clarity on exactly what took place and how this terrible event could have happened.

Stereotype posted:

Do you think that someone should face murder charges for this?

Do you think that no one should face any charges for this?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Look, stuff happens.

It isn't an objectively wrong assessment.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Stereotype posted:

You're being sarcastic but you aren't wrong.

I mean, the main thing in that post that I don't believe is "I'm sure we'll be more careful next time". We're not doing this on purpose, sure, but it's a systematic problem, and not one that's a priority of ours to fix. And that doesn't exactly give us much moral high ground.

(I say "us" just because I think we should all feel a sliver of responsibility for our country's actions, I'm not trying to claim any sort of military insider knowledge or anything.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're going to have to be more specific.

Ceiling fan posted:

In MSF doctrine and practice they liaise with local, direct combatants. They rather famously don't gently caress around with embassy desks. I don't doubt that they contacted SOC or COAC. I expect that they did. Granted, they probably didn't know how to contact the JTAC, but seriously, how the gently caress would they? On second thought, they could have, because they are good at making friends with people who aren't suppose to have friends. But that didn't happen in this case.

I'm also find the MSF reports of the attack very troubling.

http://www.msf.org/topics/kunduz-hospital-airstrike#GPS

A specific building, their ER/ICU center, within their compound, was attacked. Exclusively. All other structures were undamaged.

There are a couple of assumptions here. That MSF is being truthful in that only one building within their compound was attacked. And that they accurately communicated their position to the relevant command and control centers.

I cannot doubt these assumptions. It is notable that since MSF's founding in 1971 and operations in the most violent and plague-ridden areas in the world, this attack caused more casualties than in their entire previous history. Their safety procedures are the most comprehensive and effective of any organization. Period.

I've thought long and hard about this. The basic, publicly available doctrine about CAS and AC-130 operations only allows scenarios that put this on the USAF. That the gunners, the C2, or both, were criminally reckless and committed a war crime.

And I loving hate it.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

Buffer posted:

There's no excuse for a military strike on a hospital. That doesn't seem like a very controversial statement, but here we are.

MSF were certainly no angels?

Nope. Much like we have so many levels of bureaucracy that a huge financial meltdown based on widespread fraud can result in zero charges, as long as there are enough people between the bomb and the go ahead it turns out no one is at fault!

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
This is a really great shouting match between

"I don't think American forces are literal Hitler-Nazi murder villains, and also complexity exists in the world"

vs.

"I don't think murdering doctors in hospitals is a good thing, and think there should be some mechanisms to prevent this from happening again."

There are surely mutually incompatible opinions, and this holy war must continue forever, so we can feel slightly better about terrible things in the world by yelling at someone on the Internet about them, over and over again.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sharkie posted:

Do you think that no one should face any charges for this?

"Overworked, underpaid 20 year old thousands of miles from home in war a torn country sentenced to life in jail for fifteen murders because he was lazy with checking coordinates in the middle of the night"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I hate to criticize a clever thread title, but surely Henry Kissinger is the first to claim that honor?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sharkie posted:

Still not a broadcast. Care to walk that back yet?

Ceiling fan posted:

In MSF doctrine and practice they liaise with local, direct combatants. They rather famously don't gently caress around with embassy desks. I don't doubt that they contacted SOC or COAC. I expect that they did. Granted, they probably didn't know how to contact the JTAC, but seriously, how the gently caress would they? On second thought, they could have, because they are good at making friends with people who aren't suppose to have friends. But that didn't happen in this case.
There is absolutely no way anyone at MSF has a direct line to the Joint Special Operations Task Force in Afghanistan or the Combined Air Operations Center planning staff. They aren't in the loving white pages, and they don't give their numbers out over the phone. There is also no way they contacted the JTAC, because I highly doubt that their hospital was equipped with encrypted radios.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 7, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stereotype posted:

"Overworked, underpaid 20 year old thousands of miles from home in war a torn country sentenced to life in jail for fifteen murders because he was lazy with checking coordinates in the middle of the night"

Yeah and if I don't see a stopsign I'm still on the hook for killing the kid in the intersection.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Stereotype posted:

So what if a drone operator crashes a few weddings here or there...

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Haha..."Look it was just US military personnel being negligent, don't go all crazy talking about making the negligent people face accountability for their negligence."

To answer your question, I'm not sure that murder is the precise charge the people responsible should face. Nor have I ever claimed that. Could you answer my question now? Do you think that no one should face any charges for this?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Still not a broadcast. Care to walk that back yet?

Oh please, don't try to fishmech here, or pretend you don't know how language works. Care to walk back your implication that the military only had 30 minutes to process the information that it was a hospital?

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 7, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

berzerker posted:

This is a really great shouting match between

"I don't think American forces are literal Hitler-Nazi murder villains, and also complexity exists in the world"

vs.

"I don't think murdering doctors in hospitals is a good thing, and think there should be some mechanisms to prevent this from happening again."

There are surely mutually incompatible opinions, and this holy war must continue forever, so we can feel slightly better about terrible things in the world by yelling at someone on the Internet about them, over and over again.

Probably the best post in pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The only real solution to the military loving up and occasionally killing innocents is to not go to war in the first loving place or at this point end it as quickly as possible. They can jail some idiot NCO and rework the process but it'll happen again.

Related question. Can anyone relay to me a vision for what Afghanistan is supposed to look like when we finally pull out?

• Locked thread