Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the start is not to declare holy wars while the islamic nations are strong and willing to defend each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My ironman has a very pious Sicily. Pope calls for a crusade on Jerusalem Sicily gains the kingdom

Pope calls for a crusade against some Hindu ruler 100 years later? Bam there is Sicily now established in India with those holding being held by the vassalized Knights Hospitaliters w/e

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo Groogy. I used the event for telling your heir war-stories on myself to get the mercenary traditions modifier but I'm still not able to send away my sons as mercs. Asking you since you wrote them.

Also, Nahuatl Nomads do not play well with the game. No graphics for their horses, can't click counties.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sounds like some kind of system of deals might make it into the game after all, to judge from the pic in today's dev diary.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I just started that Oppland 769 game. First order of business is, of course, a wife. Except there are no noble women available, just a large parade of randomized 16 y/o courtiers. Don't Vikings really like having prestige, so that -200 prestige for marrying a lowborn courtier is a nasty blow?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yes, but most of the starting scenarios are very short on eligible bachelorettes (and as a pagan your marriage pool is even more limited) so you'll probably just have to eat that loss to start.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

prussian advisor posted:

So what exactly is the key to conquering Muslim lands as a Catholic ruler and not getting dog piled by every nearby Muslim ruler? I don't mean preventing an eventual Jihad which I assume is inevitable, but just having all of North Africa and southern Iberia dow you when you declare holy war on Mallorca.
Catch them during or immediately after wars when they're weak. Don't let them blob up, except for the almorivids who will be too busy trying to eat themselves to bother you early on. Bring more troops then you think you'll need and crush anyone who tries to join while they're forming if you can. Try and attract siege leader commanders to break down the target provinces as soon as possible. The longer you take the more rulers can join so you want to take as little time as possible. Eventually if you chain enough rapid holy wars none of the participants will be able to field anything.

Also forge good euro alliances for bigger targets, but try not getting too involved in continental wars. You'll still get hosed badly sometimes, but sometimes the allied Muslims will suddenly turn on each other or walk directly into a revolt's path. You'll eventually get jihaded no matter what, but catholic nations will help out unless you're just a real piece of poo poo.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 6, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I just started that Oppland 769 game. First order of business is, of course, a wife. Except there are no noble women available, just a large parade of randomized 16 y/o courtiers. Don't Vikings really like having prestige, so that -200 prestige for marrying a lowborn courtier is a nasty blow?

Vikings don't like prestige any more or less than other peoples/cultures, but Norse pagans have especially harsh short reign penalties, which won't be helped by losing 200 prestige. That said, subjugating Norway will probably solve all your prestige problems, so marrying a lowborn at the start of the game should be a no issue. And once you get ships, it's trivial to gain prestige through raiding.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm playing the Mongol Empire and I just declared the subjugation war on the Abbasid Caliph (the once in a lifetime CB) and when I won I usurped all his titles, including Caliph, which I didn't even know was possible. My mother was an Abbasid, making me a Mirza, is that why that was allowed to happen?

Anyway, I've never played as Caliph before so I don't even know what it can do. Don't I get special CB's and Jihads? Do I need to settle as feudal before I can use those?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alright fair enough, I thought I read that the Vikings use prestige as a currency almost as much as Gold.

Also, what should I do with my court chaplain? With no pope to butter up to, no heretics/heathens (nearby) to convert, and similar no one nearby to holy war with, I dunno what to do with this guy. Just build zeal anyways and hope the event doesn't fire?

[edit] The present Debutante thing only costs 1 gold and produces a noblewoman, might as well hit the slots a few times and see if I get a decent wife. [edit] Whoops, still -200. Oh well, got an attractive wife on the third try, so hey! Decent wife for 3 gold? What a Deal.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 6, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Alright fair enough, I thought I read that the Vikings use prestige as a currency almost as much as Gold.

Tribals can use prestige to upgrade their holdings, so yeah, it had an additional use for them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

prussian advisor posted:

So what exactly is the key to conquering Muslim lands as a Catholic ruler and not getting dog piled by every nearby Muslim ruler? I don't mean preventing an eventual Jihad which I assume is inevitable, but just having all of North Africa and southern Iberia dow you when you declare holy war on Mallorca.

You don't declare holy war on them, period. You'll just have to settle for slow expansion via fabricating claims. There's no beating the Muslim clowncar except the once every few decades (if you're lucky) that the megablob implodes into infighting and you can gobble up some land before the Muslims can replenish their levies. But even when it's 17 dukes instead of 1 caliph to deal with, if you Holy War then they're all going to dogpile you anyway. So it's pretty much fabricate claims. And even then Muslim rulers usually have a long list of allies that make it not much better, and usually can't be stabbed because everyone in their realm is a Muslim and therefore hates you, so you have to wait for your chance.

Basically you have to ignore the Muslims and conquer fellow Catholics until you're big enough that you can stomp the Muslim clowncar and don't give a poo poo about it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
This is cool, I never noticed this page before

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Be glad you missed the drama.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Back To 99 posted:

Be glad you missed the drama.

What was that drama about? His low stats?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

What was that drama about? His low stats?

It was about Paradox's clear cowardice and capitulation to Terrorists, as shown by the fact that they did not actively try to offend an entire religious group for no real reason other than racism.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Eric the Mauve posted:

You don't declare holy war on them, period. You'll just have to settle for slow expansion via fabricating claims. There's no beating the Muslim clowncar except the once every few decades (if you're lucky) that the megablob implodes into infighting and you can gobble up some land before the Muslims can replenish their levies. But even when it's 17 dukes instead of 1 caliph to deal with, if you Holy War then they're all going to dogpile you anyway. So it's pretty much fabricate claims. And even then Muslim rulers usually have a long list of allies that make it not much better, and usually can't be stabbed because everyone in their realm is a Muslim and therefore hates you, so you have to wait for your chance.

Basically you have to ignore the Muslims and conquer fellow Catholics until you're big enough that you can stomp the Muslim clowncar and don't give a poo poo about it.
Yeah you'll want to absorb at least most of the nearby Catholic realms (the daughter of Aragon's king is a good early marriage choice) and grab up the weaker central Muslim duchies before really going to town on the stronger Muslim groups to the southwest:

Eventually you'll probably get tired of the Fatimids though and this can happen:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

VerdantSquire posted:

It was about Paradox's clear cowardice and capitulation to Terrorists, as shown by the fact that they did not actively try to offend an entire religious group for no real reason other than racism.

Knowing Paradox's fanbase, I would imagine it also inspired some "but why doesn't MY historical national hero get a unique portrait??? :qq:"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Note that if you're a merchant republic that can hire every merc in existence then you can of course trounce the Muslim clowncar, and have a drat enjoyable time doing it I might add. Back in the day you used to be able to do this by cashing out the First Bank of Cluny. I think they patched that up back around Charlemagne.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

VerdantSquire posted:

But they did it?

I mean, look at those stats. How come The Prophet has 10 learning and everything else even shittier.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Elias_Maluco posted:

But they did it?

I mean, look at those stats. How come The Prophet has 10 learning and everything else even shittier.

He got off pretty good, considering how bad some of the big historical names' stats are. Check out Augstus Caesar, the guy is total garbage in spite of being an ambitious diligent genius

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

super fart shooter posted:

He got off pretty good, considering how bad some of the big historical names' stats are. Check out Augstus Caesar, the guy is total garbage in spite of being an ambitious diligent genius

IIRC that happened pretty recently. A few patches ago historical characters had their base stats removed, so now it only consists of their traits. I remember Augustus having like 20 something diplomacy before it happened and was kinda confused when I looked back a few weeks ago.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

But they did it?

Pretty sure stats are randomized

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of pissed to find out that the Crusader Kings II collection that I bought during the recent steam sale apparently didn't include all the DLC. I would have bought all the rest of the DLC during the sale if I had known that. Now that that sale's over, ugh.

lame.

no I'm actually really loving pissed.

There were 11 DLCs not included in the pack, Yay for only getting 42 out of 53 DLCs I guess.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Which 11?

Some aren't important. Namely the unit packs that slow things down apparently.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't get Way of Life, which is the only one I know enough about to be mad about, to be honest. It's a little bit my fault for assuming, but generally a "collection" on steam includes all DLC, and when I see that a collection is 43 items and 120 dollars, that is a signal to my brain that it is everything. If I had just read through the list all all 43 items included in the collection, and the found a separate list of all 53 dlc items available for CK2, I would have noticed that some where missing. But I didn't until today when they are full price again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that does suck, the Colleciton Was put out... then they kept making more DLC. Several Paradox games are like that. A nasty blemish on a game that otherwise does DLC pretty drat right (unnecessary cosmetic stuff + big gameplay changes). I know its little consolation, but at least the fall/Thanksgiving sale is only a couple months away? :shobon:

Welp, my would-be viking game is over already. Counquered two other minors. While rebuilding my levies to take a two-county minor, the first guy I beat up rounded up an adventurer party and crushed me with over 2:1 odds. Then another dude smelled the blood in the water and subjugation warred me. I would've lost even if my levies were fully replenished (They weren't only my home county was full). How am I supposed to deal with that?

I tried plotting to kill him, but no one at the court he was in wanted to. :negative:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 7, 2015

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Its not as bad as when Paradox released the Complete Collection for EU3, only to decide the game actually wasn't complete and made more DLC.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah it's okay. I was just really dissapointed, because I thought that I had bought everything while it was on sale, like I had been waiting to do.

Um, can you guys help me understand Forts, and what they are good for? Or when I should build them vs not?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Snak posted:

I didn't get Way of Life, which is the only one I know enough about to be mad about, to be honest. It's a little bit my fault for assuming, but generally a "collection" on steam includes all DLC, and when I see that a collection is 43 items and 120 dollars, that is a signal to my brain that it is everything. If I had just read through the list all all 43 items included in the collection, and the found a separate list of all 53 dlc items available for CK2, I would have noticed that some where missing. But I didn't until today when they are full price again.

If that's the collection I'm thinking of, I think it includes pretty much everything BUT the gameplay-relevant DLCs

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean it includes Sword of Islam, which was a must for me. I'm pretty interested in the Muslim Iberia/reconquista period of history, and being able to play Muslim factions was a big draw for me. It's just that Way of Life has the focus system, which sound way better than the way the aspirations systems works right now.

edit: I didn't get Charlemagne either, which I'm less dissapointed in because there's more than enough content in the "base-game" for me to explore.

I'll just grab what I missed on the next sale.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 7, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I played without WOL for a while and it was fine, it'll add some spice to your game down the road.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All I want is god-damned Asturias de Oviedo. Even after my traitor-uncle, who holds the title, rebelled against me and I crushed him and imprisoned him, I still can't have it! I just want to build loving trading posts. I guess it's time to fabricate a claim. I should have started doing that two generations ago.

edit: Actually I have tried to fabricate this claim before. I ended up with a claim to the duchy. I need the county. I have a claim on the duchy I need the county. I am going to chops heads and betroth children to old men until I get what I want. It's MY KINGDOM and I demand the right to build trading posts!

edit2: the best part is that when I look at character who hate me, one of the big modifiers is that I'm a tyrant. If you just stopped standing in my way I would stop trying to have you killed and imprisoning anyone who gets in my way!

edit3: once I found a way to explore other characters opinions of a 3rd party, now I can't find it again. Surely there is a way to see what characters hate each-other? I need to make some people who don't like my cousin to like me so that I can have him killed for plotting to depose me, but I don't know how to find his enemies...

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 7, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like I could generally stand to be more if a tyrant in my games. After ruling for a while you can generally deal with the hit but I never seem to bother.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's not like I set out to be a tyrant. I don't have powerful friends, I need to take extreme measures when serious threats arise. The reason it's 1210 and I still only control the De jure Kingdom I started with is because I am not good at the game of thrones, and my parents breed too many enemies. There's always a cousin, a brother, an uncle who is actively working against me.

edit: It cracks me up that the King of Denmark has had a plot to kill the Prince of Hungary for like, 10+ years. Oszkar of Hungary was my last character's friend, so I spend a lot of time dismantalling the plot, but now it's still just kind of impotently existing with 2ish backers. Oszkar's not my current character's friend, so I don't really give a poo poo anymore, but I just keep seeing it on the intrigue screen.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I mean, it's not like I set out to be a tyrant

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my God. Why the the Andalusian Muslims only having a revolt when I'm busy dealing with my own revolt!? This is the perfect time to strike, and yet I am currently besieging my loving cousin.

There're lots of mods for this game that keep the same kind of scope. I think these mechanics would work great for a white-trash trailer park game. Popes and Anti-popes could just be replaced with employers. Everything else can basically stay the same with some vocabulary changes.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 7, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I want to do a mod based on academia.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

I want to do a mod based on academia.

That would be pretty great. I think that the guys who got really into it would be scary as gently caress but also their real academic careers would suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Reloaded my Viking game to try a different tactic, defending in a different location, in a foolish attempt to squeeze a victory somehow out of 2:1 odds. That failed. Tried again, then I noticed that when he forms his host and starts the march... he has councilors! Councilors that can be bought, and he has chosen his spymaster poorly.

It takes nearly all the gold I have, but two of his council are bribed. I position my army in my home county. I know he'll strike his old territory first, it will be sacrificed to buy time. If he takes it, he'll head for my home, where my army will dash themselves against him to buy more time. He reaches his former home and starts his siege, but at the same time, word reaches me from his spymaster that the plan is set. An archery ambush. All I can do is wait and hope success comes before he devastates one of my holdings.

Just before the siege finishes, success! The bastard is killed in our ambush! With no leader to hold them together, his band of mercenaries and adventurers cease their attack and disperse to find fortune and glory elsewhere. Eystein Fart lives to rule another day! Praise be to Odin, or Loki, or whichever of the gods has favored me!

And this is why Crusader Kings is awesome and there is no problem that can't be solved by murder. :black101:

[edit] Hahaha, his two sons apparently have fallen into my care (guess the army left them behind? :v:), 2 and 1 year old each, respectively. They still have claims to my land. Perhaps more murder is required...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 7, 2015

• Locked thread