Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

What use will totems have? I imagine they could be used as some kind of morale booster or in war or something.

To kill vampires with in adventure mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My new theory:

One day in the far future, Dwarf Fortress will suddenly and out of seemingly nowhere have the best 3D graphics of any computer game ever created. Toady will have simulated and procedurally generated so much detail, the only thing involved in creating those graphics will be simply telling the game to render all that information to the screen. This will be discovered by someone working on DF Hack, and will never be officially implemented, even though it is actually faster and less buggy than rendering in tile mode.

Edit:

Much of this will happen in the science ark. Toady will implement a full raytracing routine simulating different wavelengths of light and calculating how they hit a dwarf's eye to allow them to naturally discover prisms while observing the mist from a waterfall in the legendary dining room.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 3, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KillHour posted:

My new theory:

One day in the far future, Dwarf Fortress will suddenly and out of seemingly nowhere have the best 3D graphics of any computer game ever created. Toady will have simulated and procedurally generated so much detail, the only thing involved in creating those graphics will be simply telling the game to render all that information to the screen. This will be discovered by someone working on DF Hack, and will never be officially implemented, even though it is actually faster and less buggy than rendering in tile mode.

Unfortunately this doesn't happen until the 24th century.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Unfortunately this doesn't happen until the 24th century.

It was all implemented in the 22nd century, it just took that long to calculate the first frame of movement.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Tunicate posted:

It was all implemented in the 22nd century, it just took that long to calculate the first frame of movement.

We took all the source code to the programmers guild and said "Do you think you could get this to utilize multiple processors maybe?" and they just laughed.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you unassign war animals somehow? I assigned a few to a dwarf that turned out to be a vampire!

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Dongattack posted:

Can you unassign war animals somehow? I assigned a few to a dwarf that turned out to be a vampire!
I don't think that you can rescind an assignment without killing the dwarf in question.

The standard workaround is to postpone the assignment as long as possible. Each animal will automatically follow the dwarf who trained them, and you can designate a specific trainer for each animal (after toggling the general "Train for War" or "Train for Hunting" flag, but before the actual training occurs), so it's possible to get the desired results with a bit of pausing and micromanagement. It's a bit tougher to manage, because all of your soldiers will show "0 war animals assigned" on their unit information pages -- if a wardog gets killed in combat, you may need to do some head-counting in order to figure out which guy needs a replacement puppy. You could also review each soldier's biography to see who's sad about getting his dog killed, but that's a similarly grueling task.

Despite not being assigned to a specific soldier, your animals will still fight any enemies who approach them - and can earn a name if they tear out enough kobold throats.

If the trainer turns out to be a vampire (or undergoes a strange mood and gets demobilized to serve as a master blacksmith, or gets pregnant and needs a break from front-line patrol duty) then you can assign their dogs to someone else.

Admittedly, this whole approach is quite "video game-y" and it requires some fiddly work. On the upside: it feels a bit more immersive for animals to follow the person who spent some time bonding with them, instead of gravitating to a particular alcoholic midget just because an omnipotent voice-from-above told them to.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GulMadred posted:

I don't think that you can rescind an assignment without killing the dwarf in question.

The standard workaround is to postpone the assignment as long as possible. Each animal will automatically follow the dwarf who trained them, and you can designate a specific trainer for each animal (after toggling the general "Train for War" or "Train for Hunting" flag, but before the actual training occurs), so it's possible to get the desired results with a bit of pausing and micromanagement. It's a bit tougher to manage, because all of your soldiers will show "0 war animals assigned" on their unit information pages -- if a wardog gets killed in combat, you may need to do some head-counting in order to figure out which guy needs a replacement puppy. You could also review each soldier's biography to see who's sad about getting his dog killed, but that's a similarly grueling task.

Despite not being assigned to a specific soldier, your animals will still fight any enemies who approach them - and can earn a name if they tear out enough kobold throats.

If the trainer turns out to be a vampire (or undergoes a strange mood and gets demobilized to serve as a master blacksmith, or gets pregnant and needs a break from front-line patrol duty) then you can assign their dogs to someone else.

Admittedly, this whole approach is quite "video game-y" and it requires some fiddly work. On the upside: it feels a bit more immersive for animals to follow the person who spent some time bonding with them, instead of gravitating to a particular alcoholic midget just because an omnipotent voice-from-above told them to.

Doesn't seem like even death can release a wardogs bond, they just hang around where the dwarf died, pretty sad.

In other news, i just built serrated disk weapon traps for the first time in my Dwarf Fortress career and loving lol. The first goblin that stepped on one and just exploded into a crater of mangled bodyparts, blood and vomit had me in tears.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Dongattack posted:

Doesn't seem like even death can release a wardogs bond, they just hang around where the dwarf died, pretty sad.

Annoying on one hand, but on the other that's pretty true to dog mythology..

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A dwarf just in my fort just inherited the King title and 4 dwarves inherited baronies at the same time, any way i can check what just happened to make them inherit these titles? Maybe the kings fort fell and he was murdered by goblins or something equally rad.

EDIT: OH MY GOD THEY ALL HAVE MANDATES AND OPINIONS PLEASE STOP

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 5, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

In other news, i just built serrated disk weapon traps for the first time in my Dwarf Fortress career and loving lol. The first goblin that stepped on one and just exploded into a crater of mangled bodyparts, blood and vomit had me in tears.

The thing with dwarf fortress is that there's a 50% chance of this being a bug where the animal is forced to hang around the deceased's location due to tethering rules, and 50% this is just emergent behavior where the animal loved the owner so much it refuses to leave due to its emotional state.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dongattack posted:

A dwarf just in my fort just inherited the King title and 4 dwarves inherited baronies at the same time, any way i can check what just happened to make them inherit these titles? Maybe the kings fort fell and he was murdered by goblins or something equally rad.

The next time the caravan comes around the liason will have a massive info dump for you!

Otherwise, you can back up your save and go read legends I suppose if you really want to know right now.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dongattack posted:

You know what kings like? Baths. Barons too. Build them a nice bath. Oh, it has to be heated, too. Hope you don't mix up where the water and lava goes...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dongattack posted:

You can't assign them to a new dwarf, but I think you can assign them to a chain or pasture. Chained dogs are good for hallways near the entrance or other narrow spots since they can detect thieves passing within a couple tiles. Pastured war dogs guard a general area, and may leave their pasture to chase hostiles sometimes -- they aren't super effective but while the hostiles are killing your pastured animals you have time to bring up your military and recall civilians.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

Otherwise, you can back up your save and go read legends I suppose if you really want to know right now.

If you have the .15 or .16 newb pack (the one with latest DFhack), no need anymore - "open-legends" in dfhack now works while playing.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Angela Christine posted:

You can't assign them to a new dwarf, but I think you can assign them to a chain or pasture. Chained dogs are good for hallways near the entrance or other narrow spots since they can detect thieves passing within a couple tiles. Pastured war dogs guard a general area, and may leave their pasture to chase hostiles sometimes -- they aren't super effective but while the hostiles are killing your pastured animals you have time to bring up your military and recall civilians.

Yeah, I didn't even know they followed their trainer because they are pastured in a zone also marked training to train them, and I don't unpasture them after they are.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Dwarven justice solved the vampire problem I had earlier afterall. His murders netted him 100 hammerings from the hammerer, and he has a heavy silver hammer because JUSTICE! The vampire spent a few months in the hospital after that, but ultimately died.

JUSTICE

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think that's the first time a dwarven hammerer ever solved anything as intended.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Can you become a king or baron in Adventure mode? I assume you can but does it also come with any real responsibilities? Do you become immune from the law or are able to command people to do things they other wise wouldn't (like give up their whale leather cloak)?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shayu posted:

Can you become a king or baron in Adventure mode? I assume you can but does it also come with any real responsibilities? Do you become immune from the law or are able to command people to do things they other wise wouldn't (like give up their whale leather cloak)?

You can take over sites now and become the baron/lord of them and start your own faction but I don't think there's anything implemented beyond that. I want to be able to reconquer stuff in the name of my dwarf civ but I think it forces you to be a new independent group/faction. There's definitely no real responsibilities or anything like that.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

You can take over sites now and become the baron/lord of them and start your own faction but I don't think there's anything implemented beyond that. I want to be able to reconquer stuff in the name of my dwarf civ but I think it forces you to be a new independent group/faction. There's definitely no real responsibilities or anything like that.

I wonder if you could retire a dwarven adventurer in your civ's fort, then unretire him as a part of that civ, but not enough to actually try.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

KillHour posted:

I really hope that we see performances that are considered vulgar or just unappealing, but then slowly become normal and accepted over generations.

Sex Dwarf

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The dwarf thrusts his pelvis.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Shulguzuth, the Grates of Bleeding twerks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baloogan posted:

The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat. The hydra's head moves with the beat.

The leader of the goblin invaders summons your most legendary dancer to the dance floor!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Which workshop can I order a golden lute at?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Matul MatulGomath is taken by a fey mood!

Matul MatulGomath has claimed a dance floor!

Matul MatulGomath has begun a mysterious dance!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Urist is upset about having been served lately.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

So Math posted:

Which workshop can I order a golden lute at?

Metalsmith forge. I don't think lutes can be made by dwarves. Flutes can. Either way, make instruments until one pops out. If the noble is demanding lutes and you can't make lutes, then treat him to a new magma heated bedroom and ensure that it has a five star safety rating.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Sorry, I was trying to make a joke about Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Can dwarves jump through walls? I made my guys a barracks in a nice tower but they keep apparently jumping through the walls and drowning in the moat... It's got a roof and everything!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nettle Soup posted:

Can dwarves jump through walls? I made my guys a barracks in a nice tower but they keep apparently jumping through the walls and drowning in the moat... It's got a roof and everything!

I thought this was fixed but iirc there's a bug where they will dodge (usually from sparring, if they are in your barracks) and it's possible for them to dodge through walls. They can do it with fortifications, too, but I think that's intentional.

Try resizing the barracks so there's a tile of buffer floor space between the wall and the barracks designation and they should stop falling into your moat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or demolish the walls and make it part of the training. :black101:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does mist clean dwarves? Or do they only get clean by walking through water?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

Does mist clean dwarves? Or do they only get clean by walking through water?

They'll use a well to wash themselves (with soap, if you've got it) but otherwise yeah only actually being submerged in water will fully clean them off. Mist is just pleasant.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
My well gets destroyed every winter when it freezes :negative:

Well okay then, i had never caught dwarves cleaning themselves so i just assumed they had NEVER WASHED, EVER, but if i'm just not catching it it's not important that the mist cleans also.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dongattack posted:

My well gets destroyed every winter when it freezes :negative:

Well okay then, i had never caught dwarves cleaning themselves so i just assumed they had NEVER WASHED, EVER, but if i'm just not catching it it's not important that the mist cleans also.

Make an underground tunnel to bring water to a safe cistern inside your fortress. You can make a well above it. Underground water never freezes naturally. (Think of it as exploiting geothermal :v:)

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I really wish you could make alcohol act like water. Rum fountains! Wine cisterns! Soothing beer mist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Music Theory posted:

I really wish you could make alcohol act like water. Rum fountains! Wine cisterns! Soothing beer mist!

Wouldn't walking through a beer mist make you all sticky?