Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's some hardcore tetris if she lost an arm.

She should get a mechanical arm in the shape of the tetris L piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's some hardcore tetris if she lost an arm.

Nah. She only does the labor of a farmer half her age these days. You watch a one armed woman nearing 60 stack bales of hay or drive a tractor. Then you tell me how hard your job is.

Besides. She was better at Mario Picross than Tetris at her prime.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tracula posted:

Nah. She only does the labor of a farmer half her age these days. You watch a one armed woman nearing 60 stack bales of hay or drive a tractor.

I would like to see this. It sounds badass.

BigRed0427 posted:

That's another opinion that needs to loving die in a ditch. I never understood it.

It's basically splitting hairs to keep your clubhouse free of undesirables, because you've built your identity around being A Gamer and if that comes to mean people who play "casual" games then you don't have an intact sense of self and/or exclusive clubhouse anymore.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think it came up when talking about mobile games not being real games, and in general well predated gamergate.

To be fair most folks I notice who bitch about casuals and games made for them are the same people who became gamergaters.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

BigRed0427 posted:

It's been a while since I've actually played Tetris but...what? How is that a real belief? Maybe if The Onion started covering GamerGate stuff but...What? :psyduck:

JonTron and GamerGate do have a weird agree-but-disagree relationship.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awg1b_g_A70

I don't like when Mike J reviews a product that is clearly different from the one the infomercial is about, even mentioning that it is a different model but treating them the same.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awg1b_g_A70

I don't like when Mike J reviews a product that is clearly different from the one the infomercial is about, even mentioning that it is a different model but treating them the same.

Yeah, my mom has one of the smaller versions of the perfect slicer (or some other model that looks identical, it has the hole in the middle and is metal) and it's really good at coring apples. The infomercial, as all infomercials, makes doing it the normal way seem far more arduous than it really is, but the slicer thing is pretty drat handy. That plastic knockoff he got sure is a piece of poo poo, though.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

How's his crappy Cards Against Humanity wannabe thing doing?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

poparena posted:

How's his crappy Cards Against Humanity wannabe thing doing?

It got funded, so its something.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

JonTron and GamerGate do have a weird agree-but-disagree relationship.

It's more like JonTron tries to tell people he's not a gator while agreeing with all their points, it's the same with The Cynical Biscuit Man except JonTron has a personal vendetta against Zoe Quinn for some reason.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I watched one of Total Biscuit's Mad Max videos, and it was really cute watching him try to squirm around and not offend his main audience when he mentioned it was kind of disappointing given Fury Road that there weren't any good female characters in the game.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He's becoming less of a dweeb these days, like his interview with Slowbeef and Jimquisition was a good listen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jsor posted:

I watched one of Total Biscuit's Mad Max videos, and it was really cute watching him try to squirm around and not offend his main audience when he mentioned it was kind of disappointing given Fury Road that there weren't any good female characters in the game.

He seemed to just be defending the Mad Max game from negative reviews based on the PC port having good specs, even though the game itself isn't any more fun than the console version. I understand he specializes in the technical side of things but there's a point where it gets a bit silly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given the WB's track record with PC ports, Mad Max actually having a fairly decent port is worth mentioning. Almost everyone was expecting another Arkham Knight.

Jsor posted:

The game had basically no good characters period in it. There was Chumbucket, a few mildly entertaining quest givers, and angry mcgrowly man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given the WB's track record with PC ports, Mad Max actually having a fairly decent port is worth mentioning. Almost everyone was expecting another Arkham Knight.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth praising a solid port job, but it doesn't warrant a "THE VIDEO GAME REVIEW INDUSTRY IS CORRUPT WHAT'S WITH ALL THE BAD REVIEWS FOR THIS GAME WHEN IT RUNS GREAT!"

Functioning on a technical level isn't the only aspect that factors into the quality of a game, there's also things like the game actually being fun to play

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh that's what he was banging on about, yeah that's dumb. A better point would be that the industry is bad and corrupt because they gave Arkham Knight a pass on being terrible.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Puppy Time posted:

Ego Raptor called it a game for girls (and therefore inferior). IDK if Jontron also dissed it.

He's just mad that he can't tell history as well as Tetris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mad Max is the safest, most cookie cutter video game you can possibly make in 2015. A staggering number of gamers are enthusiastically okay with games being safe and cookie cutter.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It was pretty fun for car smashing death racey stuff, that and the big harpoon launcher's cool.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

DStecks posted:

Mad Max is the safest, most cookie cutter video game you can possibly make in 2015. A staggering number of gamers are enthusiastically okay with games being safe and cookie cutter.

I can find you something more cookie cutter and safe, I forgot what it was but it was a FPS that is semi-futuristic clone of call of duty with the trailer having radioactive by imagine dragon. it came off like a stock image to play for a tv show.

it was posted in the games chat thread last month, that all I know.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Senerio posted:

He's just mad that he can't tell history as well as Tetris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Do I even want to know why Germany auto-blocks that video?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Xoidanor posted:

Do I even want to know why Germany auto-blocks that video?

It's the complete history of the Soviet Union set to the melody of Tetris.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Germany in particular autoblocks a whole lot of stuff in general, so I hear.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't wanna pollute the cultural pool with too much wrongthink, might risk going Full American.

Possibly the actual reasoning behind it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pretty sure it's actually due to copyright law. If my videos ever got blocked somewhere on account of having a song, it was Germany. Not sure what specifically about German copyright law causes this, but that's what it's about.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Yeah, it's the music, most likely.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
It shows a swastika briefly.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cyron posted:

I can find you something more cookie cutter and safe, I forgot what it was but it was a FPS that is semi-futuristic clone of call of duty with the trailer having radioactive by imagine dragon. it came off like a stock image to play for a tv show.

it was posted in the games chat thread last month, that all I know.

Do you mean the trailer for the Ghost in the Shell FPS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTmm1s7zK4

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

dbzfandiego posted:

It shows a swastika briefly.

No, it's the music. The youtube error message says as much.

Do you want to know more? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube_videos_in_Germany

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

It's basically splitting hairs to keep your clubhouse free of undesirables, because you've built your identity around being A Gamer and if that comes to mean people who play "casual" games then you don't have an intact sense of self and/or exclusive clubhouse anymore.

this but with all internet nerd media criticism, in fact probably with literally everything to do with nerd identity in general

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 6, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Max Wilco posted:

Do you mean the trailer for the Ghost in the Shell FPS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTmm1s7zK4

I did not know that was GITS. that kind of make it worse.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

Pretty sure it's actually due to copyright law. If my videos ever got blocked somewhere on account of having a song, it was Germany. Not sure what specifically about German copyright law causes this, but that's what it's about.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the music industry representatives in Germany are SUPER strict, to the point where you won't here pop music in public.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Nostalgia Critic "reviews" Event Horizon and I started watching out of morbid curiosity and I couldn't even make it to the movie itself.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I haven't had many videos outright blocked, but for some reason, the few that I've had messages about..were blocked in Italy. I guess Italy doesn't like the conundrum that is Tilda Swinton and David Bowie existing. I've never had one blocked in Germany yet, except for one that was blocked everywhere in the world, but my videos don't tend to use that much music.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Nostalgia Critic "reviews" Event Horizon and I started watching out of morbid curiosity and I couldn't even make it to the movie itself.

This is just weird. It's neither new enough to fit his new schtick, or nostalgic enough to fit his old schtick.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always think Event Horizon is a video game, it sounds like a game that would come out on the PS2 in 2002. I know it's a movie but the title just reminds me of a ps2 game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Augus posted:

He seemed to just be defending the Mad Max game from negative reviews based on the PC port having good specs, even though the game itself isn't any more fun than the console version. I understand he specializes in the technical side of things but there's a point where it gets a bit silly.

Which video did you watch? There were like three of them he made. He made one focused on the technical specs, but he made another one trying to analyze why critics and consumers were so split on the game's rating. He was pretty even handed, IMO, essentially saying neither side is wrong, but it highlights how critics aren't necessarily looking for the same things as a consumer in a game (and how that's okay). His conclusions more or less were that the game was derivative and filled with busywork, and had no story to speak of, but it also hits every "sandbox game" button in a way that would understandably appeal to fans of the genre.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cyron posted:

I always think Event Horizon is a video game, it sounds like a game that would come out on the PS2 in 2002. I know it's a movie but the title just reminds me of a ps2 game.

Yeah, it makes me think of like Advent Rising and Project: Snowblind, sci-fi'y FPS from the early 2000's. PS2 and the OG Xbox had like one period in specific where a ton of game names all blended together in a sci-fi slurry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, it makes me think of like Advent Rising and Project: Snowblind, sci-fi'y FPS from the early 2000's. PS2 and the OG Xbox had like one period in specific where a ton of game names all blended together in a sci-fi slurry.

Project Snowblind was originally a spinoff to Deus Ex before it became its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jsor posted:

Which video did you watch? There were like three of them he made. He made one focused on the technical specs, but he made another one trying to analyze why critics and consumers were so split on the game's rating. He was pretty even handed, IMO, essentially saying neither side is wrong, but it highlights how critics aren't necessarily looking for the same things as a consumer in a game (and how that's okay). His conclusions more or less were that the game was derivative and filled with busywork, and had no story to speak of, but it also hits every "sandbox game" button in a way that would understandably appeal to fans of the genre.

Goons misrepresenting or lying about what TB says happens way, way too much. I mean it's not isolated to just him, it seems to happen to anyone semi-famous but it's so dumb when someone can easily call it out and goons in particular love to do it about TB just because of a silly post he stated he really regrets that was 9? years ago. Even in this thread we have an example with it happening multiple times on Doug or Jontron.

watho posted:

It's more like JonTron tries to tell people he's not a gator while agreeing with all their points, it's the same with The Cynical Biscuit Man except JonTron has a personal vendetta against Zoe Quinn for some reason.

Like this statement for example. Vendetta against Zoe Quinn? When he was asked about her, all he said was that his experience with her at the Game Jam thing was unpleasant and that's all he would say about it. I guess I just don't understand the point in saying silly lies like that.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 7, 2015

• Locked thread