Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Spieth!!! you miss that 5 footer and then sink that one from downtown??? Jesus christttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Pretty cool if Spieth wins, because he was the best player all year by far (the last month aside).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Spieth waming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNsgLIzN_4

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ribsauce posted:

Pretty cool if Spieth wins, because he was the best player all year by far (the last month aside).

Yeah I've seen some people making a case for Day winning Player of the Year but I'd say this locks it up for Spieth (he should have been the winner regardless imo).

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This is great for golf. So much competition at the top and I think Rory will be back to his best next year. Tough coming back from injury.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

anyone who hate on spieth i will fight you

with my fists

E: Day is cool and good too

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It is lovely British Open weather and I'm playing on a bum left ankle, but it's pretty open out here on Georgia's course, and it's pretty meaty from the tips too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Christ, I went out saturday afternoon with pops and it felt like the middle of summer, it was at least 95 degrees out there. WTF florida, it's supposed to be fall you could at least drop the temp a few degrees. I shot an 82, 3 3 putts otherwise I'd would've been down in the high 70's again. 72 by the end of the year is my goal, luckily my end of year is literally December 31st :)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Still a newbie golfer (113 on my last round) but managed to hit this sweet rear end shot off the tee, just a straight hit 300 yards out

followed by 4 putting for double bogey :negative:

My short game is so weak

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The tee markers are little Bulldogs and there's a "G" mown short of the first fairway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The tee markers are little Bulldogs and there's a "G" mown short of the first fairway.

ahahaha that rules

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Josh Lyman posted:

Be honest, how terrible is that dude on the ladies' tees playing

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Better than I played when I went out on Saturday for probably my last game of the year.

:negative:

The greens were cut super fast for a tournament so I was blasting every shot off the back of every green and making terrible putting decisions when I eventually got a shot to stick on. Plus I couldnt get off the tee block if my life depended on it. Maybe the winter break will do me some good.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
I saw the TaylorMade M1 in person last week. I wish they would make it in all black but they don't. Supposedly sounds like the old 510 (not 100% sure on model). One good thing: the new drivers still use the same hosel adapter. The new 3 wood looks really could. Supposedly, the sweet spot is a little lower on the face and bigger.

Like all new drivers: more forgiving and goes forever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

He wasn't distractingly bad, though he did have a terrible short game. He hit his Ping G25 driver pretty well though. He also didn't ask "Have you been introduced to the Bible?" until the 17th green.

The Bulldog tees played every bit of par 71, 7258 yds since it was wet/there isn't much elevation change/I hit like 5 fairways. The first two holes, par 4's into the wind, I hit decent tee shots and still had 4 irons in. Shot +4 on the first 5 holes then even the rest of the way, but it was all pars, including the 3 par 5's :colbert:.

Despite the rating being 75.1, the slope is only 139, which makes sense because the course is so straightforward. There's basically no strategy: just pound your driver without being too far offline and hit decent tee shots on the par 3's. I was told "the greens are tricky" and "have a lot of undulation", but they were standard multi-tier bentgrass greens - nothing interesting, except for holes 9/18 sharing a split green like at St. Andrews.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I much preferred UNC and Duke's courses, with Duke a substantial favorite. I don't know how this ended up ranked #9 on Golfweek's best college courses when Duke is #15 and UNC was outside the top 30.

edit: I've played 5 times in the last 10 days, a pace I absolutely cannot (afford to) keep up, so it's probably back to shooting 80 once I return to playing once/month.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 28, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

He also didn't ask "Have you been introduced to the Bible?" until the 17th green.

Can you please post your bible trip report next? :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
1 month into spring here in Sydney, our greenskeeper just posted this to Facebook:

3 meter Brown Snake on the 3rd fairway. I reckon if I hit my ball in the scrub it's gone for good :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

1 month into spring here in Sydney, our greenskeeper just posted this to Facebook:

3 meter Brown Snake on the 3rd fairway. I reckon if I hit my ball in the scrub it's gone for good :)

oh god no. Nope. Noooooooooope.

E: Yeah Josh where's the bible study trip report at

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

He wasn't distractingly bad, though he did have a terrible short game. He hit his Ping G25 driver pretty well though. He also didn't ask "Have you been introduced to the Bible?" until the 17th green.

The Bulldog tees played every bit of par 71, 7258 yds since it was wet/there isn't much elevation change/I hit like 5 fairways. The first two holes, par 4's into the wind, I hit decent tee shots and still had 4 irons in. Shot +4 on the first 5 holes then even the rest of the way, but it was all pars, including the 3 par 5's :colbert:.

Despite the rating being 75.1, the slope is only 139, which makes sense because the course is so straightforward. There's basically no strategy: just pound your driver without being too far offline and hit decent tee shots on the par 3's. I was told "the greens are tricky" and "have a lot of undulation", but they were standard multi-tier bentgrass greens - nothing interesting, except for holes 9/18 sharing a split green like at St. Andrews.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I much preferred UNC and Duke's courses, with Duke a substantial favorite. I don't know how this ended up ranked #9 on Golfweek's best college courses when Duke is #15 and UNC was outside the top 30.

edit: I've played 5 times in the last 10 days, a pace I absolutely cannot (afford to) keep up, so it's probably back to shooting 80 once I return to playing once/month.

I hear Clemson's course is pretty bad rear end, not sure where that ranks though.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ribsauce posted:

I am trying to find a structured program to go from shooting ~100 (102 is my best score) with an extremely inconsistent long game to at least 90 by year end. I cannot not really find any structured lesson plan except this http://www.amazon.com/TOURAcademy-Edition-8-Week-Improvement-Program/dp/B0093H1XQQ which looks intriguing.
I ordered this and have done week 1 except the putting practice. It is going to rain for 7 straight days (and has the past 5) so I doubt I can do it anytime soon. There is a covered range I am going to hit up this weekend for the 2nd full swing practice session.

I am not going to type up a long review now but I think I will when I am done. The program basically has 8 lessons and an 8 week plan. Day 1 you watch lesson 1, then the next day you go to the range to do the lesson 1 practice routine, Day 4 you watch lesson 2, then the next day is a range day, then on Day 6 you practice both. The next week has 2 more lessons. They give you a booklet with the practice routine for each lesson (example, lesson 1 15 balls 8 iron 2/3rd speed, 15 balls full 8 iron, 15 balls 6 iron). There is a beginner practice routine (white) and intermediate (blue). The package also comes with an impact bag and two collapsable alignment sticks, a big instruction book, and a practice book to keep in your bag.

The first lesson, grip, alignment, posture, was awesome. I worked on this two times with my instructor but I still learned a ton from the video. It is great. I feel like it was worth the cost alone (100 bucks for the package on Amazon FYI). If the rest of the full swing stuff is even half as good as this I will be way better by the time I am done with this program. I saw immediate improvement at the range. I only mishit 2 balls out of roughly 60. If I could take that to the course it would be a huge improvement! Eliminating 75% of my mishits would have me almost to my goal score.

I also watched the putting lesson (lesson 2) but I was scared to do what they said. I feel like I am a pretty good putter. To be honest, I had a debate if I should even put it in the DVD player. Sometimes I play with guys who shoot in the 70's and I can putt as well as them, and most misses are from misreads, not mishits, while the video only focuses on technique. At my first lesson, the pro watched me putt for about 5 minutes and said "OK, we're gonna leave this alone, no reason to mess with it, lets work on something else." On my at home mat I can knock down 25 7 footers in a row no problem (which I know is 100 times easier than the course). I don't know if any of this matters or not, I just wanted to let you know where my putting skills are.

The reason I got scared to implement what was in this video was literally everything they said to do I do not do. They had this reverse overlap grip and it was just weird feeling. I have all 4 fingers from both hands around the shaft. They preached putting your eye directly over the ball but when I drop a ball my eye is about an inch behind and 2 inches closer to my body (note: I think Phil Mickelson said this is where your eyes should be in his DVD). They also said to make your backswing and follow through the same length but my follow through is longer, though not by much. I watched the entire thing but I am not even going to try to implement anything. If my putting ever falls apart I will come back to it.

How do you guys putt? Those who are good, do you do it the way the DVD describes? What grip do you use? Do you agree with what the DVD says?

I am very excited for the full swing stuff coming up. The next lesson involves an impact bag (included with the package). If it helps even half as much as the grip/alignment/posture video I will be impressed. So far I wish I bought this package the day I decided to actually learn how to play golf for real.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hey if anyone was interested in a driving/utility iron, global golf has a ridiculous discount on the Taylormade Tour Preferred 18 and 20 degree clubs with stiff flex KBS C Taper shafts. Code "day5" gives 50% off on the clubs. I just ordered one of each with the open box price, $80 total for both including shipping (freeship99 code also works on top of the 50% off).

I've been debating replacing my 3 hybrid lately so this came along at a good time.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Halo14 posted:

:lol: at your snake.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Hey if anyone was interested in a driving/utility iron, global golf has a ridiculous discount on the Taylormade Tour Preferred 18 and 20 degree clubs with stiff flex KBS C Taper shafts. Code "day5" gives 50% off on the clubs. I just ordered one of each with the open box price, $80 total for both including shipping (freeship99 code also works on top of the 50% off).

I've been debating replacing my 3 hybrid lately so this came along at a good time.
God drat you why didn't I see this post yesterday :argh:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 7, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

skaboomizzy posted:

:lol: at your snake.

Aww he's a cutie.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

God drat you why didn't I see this post yesterday :argh:

I bet a dozen or more will hit the GolfWRX classifieds in a week for whatever price people paid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I will gladly take the risk of your walking/slithering death machines in another month and a half when all my area courses are buried under 10 feet of snow :arghfist::(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

I will gladly take the risk of your walking/slithering death machines in another month and a half when all my area courses are buried under 10 feet of snow :arghfist::(

Come play El Niño golf in LA! Now featuring grass!!

*Neither El Niño nor grass guaranteed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm playing golf today! And it's gonna be sunny! :woop:

edit: Played at a new course, it was meh, played with a guy from GolfMatch, he's pretty good and we're playing again tomorrow. Hooray for new golf buddy! :krad:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 8, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Where is the Presidents Cup thread? I heard the event is on live prime time, but I have no idea when or where. Somebody help me.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

Kameh posted:

Where is the Presidents Cup thread? I heard the event is on live prime time, but I have no idea when or where. Somebody help me.

For tonight's Four-Ball at least:

Local / Eastern
9:35 AM / 8:35 PM - Dustin Johnson/Jordan Spieth vs. Louis Oosthuizen/Branden Grace
9:50 AM / 8:50 PM - Rickie Fowler/Jimmy Walker vs. Danny Lee/Sangmoon Bae
10:05 AM / 9:05 PM - Zach Johnson/Phil Mickelson vs. Adam Scott/Jason Day
10:20 AM / 9:20 PM - J.B. Holmes/Bubba Watson vs. Marc Leishman/Steven Bowditch
10:35 AM / 9:35 PM - Bill Haas/Chris Kirk vs. Thongchai Jaidee/Charl Schwartzel

Action is on Golf Channel starting at 8:30 PM.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Had my first eagle in a few months today, holed out on a par 5 from 95 yards out. That's the longest hole-out I've ever had, but I've been really accurate from 90-125 yards lately so it wasn't too surprising. I've been paying more attention to my results from 90-125 compared to 50-75 and I'm pretty sure I hit more greens and have a better average proximity to the hole when I can take full swings with one of my 50/54/58 wedges. It does feel weird teeing off with an iron on a short wide par 4 or laying up on a par 5 but if that's what gets me more pars and birdies then that's what I'll be doing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Had my first eagle

Hey! Congratulations! :toot:

Suprfli6 posted:

... in a few months today

Not fair :mad:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJExile posted:

Hey! Congratulations! :toot:

Not fair :mad:

Haha well, my home course has two par fives that I can reach in two shots fairly often, and several par 4s I can reach or come really close to reaching. I've hit driver-9i into one of the par fives a few times when the fairway is baked out. I think I've had 6 or 7 eagles in the last two years but this is the first one that really feels like a true eagle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Probably isn't necessary since I still have 2 dozen balls, but I just ordered 8 dozen of 4A (out of 5) TaylorMade Lethals from GolfBallsDirect for $56 including shipping (last year's Tour Preferred X).

The regular price is down to $7.88/dozen, plus there's a 20% off coupon (NEW20) and shipping is $6 flat. I was going to just go with 4 dozen, but this kind of deal comes around once/year maybe; I was also tempted to go balls out and order like 16 dozen since that would get me to free shipping over $99.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Golfballsdirect.com is the poo poo, switched to it from LGB this year and have been very happy

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably isn't necessary since I still have 2 dozen balls, but I just ordered 8 dozen of 4A (out of 5) TaylorMade Lethals from GolfBallsDirect for $56 including shipping (last year's Tour Preferred X).

The regular price is down to $7.88/dozen, plus there's a 20% off coupon (NEW20) and shipping is $6 flat. I was going to just go with 4 dozen, but this kind of deal comes around once/year maybe; I was also tempted to go balls out and order like 16 dozen since that would get me to free shipping over $99.

Thanks for the heads up. I won a box of Lethals last year and liked them well enough. I'm not exactly low on balls either, but 7 Dozen for $51 is a hell of a deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of golf balls I am so mad Top Flite got rid of the FREAK. They were the best drat gimmick.

For those who missed it (I don't blame you) Top Flite basically became wonderfully self-aware and made the most absurdly hard, no feel, super distance ball ever, basically meant exclusively for using off the tee in a scramble, then swapping for something else.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Spent a weekend at World Woods. Pine Barrens will kick your rear end something fierce.

http://imgur.com/a/oKFG2

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dang those fairways look hard/fast as hell. Did some portions of the grass get diseased or something or was it just super dry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

DJExile posted:

Dang those fairways look hard/fast as hell. Did some portions of the grass get diseased or something or was it just super dry?

They had it(Pine Barrens) set up for a Golf Channel Amateur tour tournament that was played sunday. Holy poo poo was it hard and fast. They did burn a few of the greens. Rolling Oaks was a lot prettier and softer. The only easy thing on our round was they used the left green on 12.