Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ilor posted:

You know, I hate to say it, but absent the swastikas and SS crap, that Gestapo-brown-with-red-accents color scheme on Termihitler is actually really eye-catching and very nicely executed, and would probably make for a really nice army on the table. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

They do look spiffy, even if Mess Waiter having a uniform is a little overdoing it, and protection squad look like twats.

I wander if those are plates from an Osprey.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

goatface posted:

Wrong size for storm bolters, wrong number of barrels for assault cannon. Unless it's some 30k thing I'm pretty sure those are some weird kitbash counts-as assault cannon.

They look like upside-down storm bolters welded to part of an assault cannon with a sculpted (judging by the badly offset nipples) barrel stuck on the end to me. Deffo counts-as though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

A picture of literal Nazis on the top of page 88. Well done, goons, well done.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

YF19pilot posted:

We can do worse, buddy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+hitler&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCKrRt8-ir8gCFcGdgAodUkIEzA&biw=1360&bih=634

Don't push us.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I'm trying to look for more 40k Nazis, but just digging up people asking for advice on how to make 40k Nazis. It's a bit hilarious because for people so obsessed with Nazis they keep calling the balkenkreuz a "stylized iron cross" and not knowing the difference between the two.

But then I feel bad for knowing the difference, though it's from being a historical grog not some Nazi obsessive.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Oh hey, this is pretty neat.

https://holocaustvisualarchive.wordpress.com/tag/lego/

That was kind of creative of that kid.

From the same page, lower down:
http://users.erols.com/kennrice/lego-kz.htm

Dark!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Why is it that people who do nazi orks are horrible weirdos, while people who do Soviet guardsmen are awesome?

I always saw this stuff, especially the Orks as parody. Being a fan of Herr Flick of ze Gestapo doesn't really make you an actual nazi. :corsair:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:can:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HardCoil posted:

Why is it that people who do nazi orks are horrible weirdos, while people who do Soviet guardsmen are awesome?

I always saw this stuff, especially the Orks as parody. Being a fan of Herr Flick of ze Gestapo doesn't really make you an actual nazi. :corsair:

Not many actual Communists on your side of the pond, and they probably spend more time with politics, while Nazi sympathizers just make toy hitlers and spend time talking about the untermensch on /pol/ and D&D.

Plus, you folks only ever really fought Nazis, not USSR.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A defiant Pole used Lego blocks to depict a Nazi death camp to show the gap between the ideal world marketed to children and reality. Works spark fight over free speech, Poland's sensitivity about its past.

Yes, the gap between orange transparent chainsaws, racers, LEGO firetrucks and Nazis.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

No swastikas lovingly hand painted onto each worm, 0/10.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I could paint sickles and hammers

since all soviets are communists and therefore nazis

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

HardCoil posted:

People who do "Soviet" guard are usually idiots who fall for the pop culture myth of the Soviet hordes, while most people who do anything Nazi-themed aren't doing it for parody.

I'm the rear end in a top hat who would model his tanks to look like T34/85s with the propaganda slogans painted on the side.

Actually, I'm lying. If I was going to do a WWII themed IG army, I would do Bersaglieri. :italy:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you want conscripts, just paint them as Italian blackshirts! :v:

I'm sure there was a WWI Italian general that would work with the "Send in the next wave" rule.

Hey, the squatshitter has open turret/driver's position for some reason.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

A giant robot that's weak to rain! Also, that has to be hell on the pilots' ears.

I'd be fine with it on an Imperial mech--it fits their 'lovely remnants of the glorious past' aesthetic--but it's totally out of place for Tau.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

A giant robot that's weak to rain! Also, that has to be hell on the pilots' ears.

I'd be fine with it on an Imperial mech--it fits their 'lovely remnants of the glorious past' aesthetic--but it's totally out of place for Tau.

So, you take the legs off a Knight, and torso without shoulder, add Whirlwind batteries instead of arms, hang tarantulas/bolters under them, and add... some knight weapon instead of a Railgun.

Yes, I see how that would work for an extreme amount of money.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

So, you take the legs off a Knight, and torso without shoulder, add Whirlwind batteries instead of arms, hang tarantulas/bolters under them, and add... some knight weapon instead of a Railgun.

Yes, I see how that would work for an extreme amount of money.

Really, it's basically only the feet and emblem that say 'tau' about this mech. Maybe the style of the big shoulder gun. Overall, it really doesn't look like one of their mechs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those heels look even worse from the side.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like to imagine the pilots constantly ducking to stay out of the sensors frame. Why would anyone put that array behind their heads? :iiam:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JcDent posted:

Luckily literally no race in the 40K universe including the Tau themselves have developed technology or have evolved special limbs/appendages that would let them jump/climb the high distance from the ground to the cockpit to attack it directly. Similarly, no race has developed the equivalent of a modern day 'frag' grenade that could be detonated in the open cockpit killing all crew instantly. Or the equivalent of a MRLS barrage type weapon. Or oh gently caress it, god drat stupid designers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

I like to imagine the pilots constantly ducking to stay out of the sensors frame. Why would anyone put that array behind their heads? :iiam:

They don't need to do any ducking! There's a tiny sensor head on the right side, just under the xbox-huge railgun, and the main pilot guy has a tiny viewport in front of him. It's probably full of cameras, because on the inside of the cockpit, and it's console all the way around.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

I'm sure there was a WWI Italian general that would work with the "Send in the next wave" rule.

Don't forget that the huge gun has a cooling vent which points directly into the cockpit. Great job, GW! :downs:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

YF19pilot posted:

But don't you feel so unspired? :v:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

People who do "Soviet" guard are usually idiots who fall for the pop culture myth of the Soviet hordes, while most people who do anything Nazi-themed aren't doing it for parody.

I'm the rear end in a top hat who would model his tanks to look like T34/85s with the propaganda slogans painted on the side.

Actually, I'm lying. If I was going to do a WWII themed IG army, I would do Bersaglieri. :italy:
I really wish that I lived where you do, in a nation apparently devoid of anime marxists. What magical land is devoid of nerd soviet apologists?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I really wish that I lived where you do, in a nation apparently devoid of anime marxists. What magical land is devoid of nerd soviet apologists?

Well, to be fair, where I live now there is no wargaming. No 40k, no FoW, nothing. Only a couple of board game cafes and a few model shops where people play D&D and M:TG.

Outside of the occasional converted KV "Baneblade", I've never come across Stalinbos like Werabos, so feel free to post some Soviet-apologia unspiration, since that's what this thread is about.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

...Where do you live? :psyduck:

I mean, your place, you probably have a better idea of what the local meta's like, but around here any wargamer rant about the soviets is always about how they're stupid hordes of conscript infantry with no experience and one brain between them, without enough guns and with vehicles that fall apart in a stiff breeze even if the actual stats are pretty good because everyone knows they couldn't really assemble tanks that good in a factory*. There's a vanishingly small group of actual tankies who occupy fringe positions on actual marxists groups, but I know tiny amounts of marxist wargamers and none of them who liked the soviets very much, especially under Stalin.

*Also throw in stuff like "Comissars went around the battlefield gunning people down for having their boots muddy" and poo poo.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 7, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Christ that thing is an even bigger mess from the side.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I don't think that ex-LF twitter nerds go outside very much

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Is it worse or better to paint your IG as actual Red Army/Wehrmacht/US Marines or to simply borrow the color palette and maybe do some light converting to create the 443rd Communist Planet Regiment with winged skulls and eagles where the stars and hammer-sickle combos should go?

It would be so easy to evoke the image of your favourite historical babykillers or whatever, without going full nazi. I wouldn't be that offended by a Krieg Black Coat Regiment, though the red armbands would be a bit much.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Decorus posted:

Is it worse or better to paint your IG as actual Red Army/Wehrmacht/US Marines or to simply borrow the color palette and maybe do some light converting to create the 443rd Communist Planet Regiment with winged skulls and eagles where the stars and hammer-sickle combos should go?

It would be so easy to evoke the image of your favourite historical babykillers or whatever, without going full nazi. I wouldn't be that offended by a Krieg Black Coat Regiment, though the red armbands would be a bit much.
Krieg are also based on WW1 Germans and French, so it'd actually just be missing the point of the army to think they're Nazis :hist101:

I have a Valhallan Imperial Guard army that's based on the Red Army, but a lot of that is because the Valhallan models were clearly the Perry twins wanting to sculpt historicals at the time, and I don't go full hammers and sickles with everything. My ideologies aren't communist and I know the actual Soviets did plenty of bad poo poo, I just like Red Alert and the aesthetics. I basically did what you said, they're the Valhallan 32nd Rifles, and while they have red stars on them I didn't go ahead and file off the aquilas to put on hammers and sickles in their place. I think you can evoke less pretty parts of history without being an rear end in a top hat about it and get away with it just fine. GW has been doing that for 30 years.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing is that the imagery, used sparingly, conveys something ideological about the forces by tapping into our shared knowledge.

A figure with a pickelhaube or bicorne, absurd moustache, and dozens of medals evokes a nobility system, old blood, and old-timey 1800s warfare.

But actually painting the historical unit makings of Hitler's actual fifth genocide SS battalion, you cross a line into a weird tribute to those specific fascists.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

The thing is that the imagery, used sparingly, conveys something ideological about the forces by tapping into our shared knowledge.

A figure with a pickelhaube or bicorne, absurd moustache, and dozens of medals evokes a nobility system, old blood, and old-timey 1800s warfare.

But actually painting the historical unit makings of Hitler's actual fifth genocide SS battalion, you cross a line into a weird tribute to those specific fascists.
Yeah, I think that sums up what I was trying to say much better than I did. Like how the Imperials in Star Wars have enough Nazi-esque design elements and iconography to make you "get" that they're bad dudes without going full totenkopf.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Decorus posted:

I think when you start painting swastikas or giant murals of Aryan Pride on the side of your Elefants Basilisks, you've crossed a line. Though painting not-Nazis as actual Nazis in a game that doesn't have actual Nazis included for historical reasons is probably going to make people wince, cringe, think you're a weirdo at best and a closet supremacist at worst; and trying to explain that, no, you were just trying to achieve the aesthetic is going to sound like the flailing of a disillusioned mad man. Seriously, if you like the Nazi aesthetic and want to play an army that looks like Nazis, just go historicals and play Nazis. It'll at least appear less weird, and you can hand-wave the arguments with "someone has to be the bad guys."

Soviet iconography, at least in the west, will appear innocuous to the average passerby, and wouldn't raise an eyebrow except for the most groggiest of historical grogs if you started slapping pro-Stalin propaganda slogans on the sides of your Soviet Imperial Guards tanks. And US Marines? In the US, atrocities are going to get swept under the rug or white washed by the average American war gamer and average American observer, unless you do stupid poo poo like that Eldar rape diorama.

Basically, different imagery and iconography are treated differently depending on how your local society is sensitive to/willing to tolerate it. Just be mindful of how others may perceive what you're doing, and don't pretend it was an accident when you paint the loving 3rd SS-Division Totenkopf.

Also, black coat SS is loving boring for a battle field. Why the hell not fallshirmjagers? I'd love a chance to paint that cammo at 28mm level, but Warlord Games hates Taiwan for some reason.

e: I type a lot and I type slow.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

ahahaha you fool

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

moths posted:

Thanks, this is a better way of explaining what I was talking about.

Also for the record, I wasn't trying to claim that the US Marines were as bad as Nazis or anything. My point was that writing US MARINES on your Leman Russes is pretty stupid too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SRM posted:

Krieg are also based on WW1 Germans and French, so it'd actually just be missing the point of the army to think they're Nazis :hist101:

I have a Valhallan Imperial Guard army that's based on the Red Army, but a lot of that is because the Valhallan models were clearly the Perry twins wanting to sculpt historicals at the time, and I don't go full hammers and sickles with everything. My ideologies aren't communist and I know the actual Soviets did plenty of bad poo poo, I just like Red Alert and the aesthetics. I basically did what you said, they're the Valhallan 32nd Rifles, and while they have red stars on them I didn't go ahead and file off the aquilas to put on hammers and sickles in their place. I think you can evoke less pretty parts of history without being an rear end in a top hat about it and get away with it just fine. GW has been doing that for 30 years.

How did you feel when they replaced the Chekhov with a major send in the next wave stereotype?

Oh, an speaking of AE-WWII:

Spot the stereotype!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

How did you feel when they replaced the Chekhov with a major send in the next wave stereotype?

Oh, an speaking of AE-WWII:

Spot the stereotype!
I started playing IG after they gave Chenkov that rule; honestly it has enough precedent in the setting that it didn't bother me.

And obviously somebody really liked Enemy at the Gates.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

spectralent posted:

...Where do you live? :psyduck:

I mean, your place, you probably have a better idea of what the local meta's like, but around here any wargamer rant about the soviets is always about how they're stupid hordes of conscript infantry with no experience and one brain between them, without enough guns and with vehicles that fall apart in a stiff breeze even if the actual stats are pretty good because everyone knows they couldn't really assemble tanks that good in a factory*. There's a vanishingly small group of actual tankies who occupy fringe positions on actual marxists groups, but I know tiny amounts of marxist wargamers and none of them who liked the soviets very much, especially under Stalin.

*Also throw in stuff like "Comissars went around the battlefield gunning people down for having their boots muddy" and poo poo.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't think that ex-LF twitter nerds go outside very much
I live in the middle of nowhere so almost all of my games are through Vassal with friends who live in San Francisco. So yeah no outside required. San Fran may be giving me a biased view of wargaming, but their group has a staggering number of anime obsessed Stalin apologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I live in the middle of nowhere so almost all of my games are through Vassal with friends who live in San Francisco. So yeah no outside required. San Fran may be giving me a biased view of wargaming, but their group has a staggering number of anime obsessed Stalin apologists.

For some reason I think they're probably not as bad as neo-nazis are