Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Now this has hit release on Xbone - is the background sim seperate or linked to pc?

Will i find diamond frogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SquirrelGrip posted:

Now this has hit release on Xbone - is the background sim seperate or linked to pc?

Will i find diamond frogs?

The background sim is linked to pc, but pc and xbone players apparently inhabit different instances. So, basically, same city, different (and non-connected) boroughs.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That said, its pretty neat at least that xbone players can help out with our activities and goals, regardless.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Literally Kermit posted:

If possible, put on a prospector module. It can be a size 1, they tell you what a rock has and may also boost yield

No "may" about it - this is what they do now, by a factor of 3-4x. Get a prospector module before getting a second collector module.

Literally Kermit posted:

Shop around and look for gold, platinum, palladium, osmium, and jesus christ yes, painite. Plenty of other metals and minerals here to grab but try to make sure you prioritize any of those five.

For the curious, by order of value:

Alehkhs posted:

You are looking for PPPGO - Painite, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, and Osmium (You uh... want a mnemonic? I just go by "PPPGO," but how about...

"How's mining?"
"Painful, Platonic Pal. Get Out."

Sure, that'll work - there's your mnemonic. :cripes:)

Get somewhat close. Fire mining lasers into rock. Make sure cargo scoop is open. Now the fun part - watch your refinery and cargo hold slowly fill up! When depleted, move on and go back two steps and repeat.

Literally Kermit posted:

Hold full? Take dat pure profit to a high tech or a refinery. I suggest Xihe which is a high tech refinery.

Mining a system that's got the RefTech station right there will cut down on jumps (read: there won't be any needed). There's one a little less than twice the distance from GoatSec, if anyone really wants to sink some time into mining: Njikan

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CQC is surprisingly fun. I really like the Condor and can't wait to cart one around the galaxy in a bigger ship.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Took gimbaled lasers out for a 300k killspree and it was MUCH better, esp with the most expensive thrusters I could afford and starting to mess around with full reverse. Thanks for the help guys~

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Gonkish posted:

The background sim is linked to pc, but pc and xbone players apparently inhabit different instances. So, basically, same city, different (and non-connected) boroughs.

cheers, as i thought/hoped

Tom Guycot posted:

That said, its pretty neat at least that xbone players can help out with our activities and goals, regardless.

yeah this im down for

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
they fixed RES spawns :stare:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
I just helped 4 police anacondas fight:

- one npc anaconda
- winged with two npc fer-de-lances
- and a pair of clippers

all at once.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

TRON JEREMY posted:

I just helped 4 police anacondas fight:

- one npc anaconda
- winged with two npc fer-de-lances
- and a pair of clippers

all at once.

Holy crap they did it. They made a game.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, PowerPlay is now completely broken as a money-maker and is 5x the painful chore that it used to be. I used to be able to manage around 800 merits per hour, but was only able to pull off 200 merits per hour tonight after several hours of consistent applied effort.

Let's see:
  • First, interdictions are now much harder. You can now actually quite easily fail based on the mechanics alone even without the bug, throwing you out of supercruise, forcing hull damage, and giving you a long wait timer.
  • Second, the lovely spaz-out UI interdiction bug is still there and seems to happen more often than I remember.
  • Third, there's now way more spawns of Federal Navy ships that you don't get any merits for, which compete for your actual merit granting spawns.
  • Fourth, NPCs now interdict each other and quite often interdict the targets you want to fight!
  • Finally, not sure what it is, but NPCs seem to be dealing more damage and are more threatening in general. Several times tonight, I had to run from fights that I used to not have to run from. It feels like damage has been slightly increased from NPCs across the board, but it may have just been me tilting now that I realized I have another 2500 merits to go before tomorrow's reset which is probably not going to happen with these lovely mechanics being the way they are.
Congrats :frontear:, you've made your game actively worse.

At this point, if I fail to get my remaining merits tomorrow, I am planning on cutting my losses and never touching PowerPlay again. What a god awful, grindy, boring experience. I take back all of my previous praise that I posted about it.

edit: Oh and figured I'd mention that someone from IRC said that the A Lavigny bonus to bounties has been tamed down as expected too, so there's that.

Siets fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Anyone else's mouse basically not be a thing after the patch? It has the big grey icon of a 3d device but as much as I move it, it won't stray from the center of the screen.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Siets posted:

Welp, PowerPlay is now completely broken as a money-maker and is 5x the painful chore that it used to be. I used to be able to manage around 800 merits per hour, but was only able to pull off 200 merits per hour tonight after several hours of consistent applied effort.

Let's see:
  • First, interdictions are now much harder. You can now actually quite easily fail based on the mechanics alone even without the bug, throwing you out of supercruise, forcing hull damage, and giving you a long wait timer.
  • Second, the lovely spaz-out UI interdiction bug is still there and seems to happen more often than I remember.
  • Third, there's now way more spawns of Federal Navy ships that you don't get any merits for, which compete for your actual merit granting spawns.
  • Fourth, NPCs now interdict each other and quite often interdict the targets you want to fight!
  • Finally, not sure what it is, but NPCs seem to be dealing more damage and are more threatening in general. Several times tonight, I had to run from fights that I used to not have to run from. It feels like damage has been slightly increased from NPCs across the board, but it may have just been me tilting now that I realized I have another 2500 merits to go before tomorrow's reset which is probably not going to happen with these lovely mechanics being the way they are.

At this point, if I fail to get my remaining merits tomorrow, I am planning on cutting my losses and never touching PowerPlay again. What a god awful, grindy, boring experience. I take back all of my previous praise that I posted about it.

edit: Oh and figured I'd mention that someone from IRC said that the A Lavigny bonus to bounties has been tamed down as expected too, so there's that.

Nuts to it, son, mining is where it is at

Kowboat
Mar 3, 2006

Grenouilles Sans Frontieres

Literally Kermit posted:

Get a collector control module. Make sure it is size three. 3A is best, drones from it last 12 minutes and you can have two at once. You can have another module and another two drones at once, but launch them from a different fire group (you can't launch two at the same time)

You can absolutely fire multiple drone controllers at once. :getin:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Siets posted:

They put some actual penetration mechanics in now instead of the previous "your lasers go right through the ship I guess, whatever" and one of the repercussions is apparently larger lasers do more damage to hulls of smaller ships. Could be that?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Collector drones will also snatch up mining shards from NPC's :getin:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a list of hazardous RES sites?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on reverse throttle controls on a HOTAS? I'm currently using my X52 as a full range forward throttle, with a reverse toggle button for reverse thrusters. Looking at Youtube vids of folks mastering FA mode makes me think that having throttle forward/half reverse might be better, as well as free up the toggle button for something else. I hope these words make sense to space nerds.

This little slider on throttle stick is perfect for forward/bakwards switching IMO.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Siets posted:

...at this point, if I fail to get my remaining merits tomorrow, I am planning on cutting my losses and never touching PowerPlay again...

Good, it was garbage before, it's bigger garbage now.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Siets posted:

Let's see:

Yeah, my findings are p much the same. I'll add a few:

• It seems that super-undermined systems spawn much much fewer PowerPlay NPCs.
  • Powerplay NPCs spawn in smaller numbers, usually after non PowerPlay NPCs. So the time to find a target has increased 5-10 times.
  • NPCs in general seem to spawn all over, instead of mostly at the star unlike before. Some systems have a ton of stations, so you might be missing out a ton of viable targets that are too far off sensor range.

I was close to my merit goal, so I grit my teeth (and relearned how to interdict all over again) to get there, but this pretty much kills powerplay for me. So this is my last week.

To be honest, we were wondering how long the gravy train was going to last. On the other hand, it feels like they either don't want anyone at rank 5 or playing this at all.

Edit: To expand, I still don't believe rank 5 is attainable by hauling mcguffins (without spending money on them, which requires money to begin with) or doing literally any other powerplay activity. There being no other economic incentive to powerplay - which I firmly believe was why there were so many merit farmers - will, I believe, ensure that only the ~roleplayers~ keep at it.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 7, 2015

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Please tell me people on the brown sea are getting angry about all this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, mining is good now? :psyduck:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Idk about the forums but on reddit there are petitions going about reverting these changes. Frustration abounds about merit farming being super slow, and traders being salty about interdictions they can't escape.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Exactly as predicted; I'm so happy

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
What actually changed with mining to make it suck less then? Presumably more than just the bins auto-sorting themselves.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Chrysophylax posted:

Idk about the forums but on reddit there are petitions going about reverting these changes. Frustration abounds about merit farming being super slow, and traders being salty about interdictions they can't escape.

People actually asking Frontier to make the game more friendly to a mindless and empty playstyle... That's what you get when you gently caress it up the first time around, Frontier! Now you're stuck with the Stockholmers.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So what's the procedure for applying the 15% discount? Strip/sell your ship, relog, buy new everything? Wanna reduce the insurance on my rare trading/explorer Asp.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

QuantaStarFire posted:

So what's the procedure for applying the 15% discount? Strip/sell your ship, relog, buy new everything? Wanna reduce the insurance on my rare trading/explorer Asp.

Yeah you'd have to sell your ship and re-buy it at Rui space. The discount also only applies for one death-rebuy cycle.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DarthBlingBling posted:

The one thread I saw about this on the E:D forums last night had been started by a guy with the same complaints I had. Then you had about 5:1 numbers of people responding to him with "you do know this is Elite:Dangerous right!?! :smug:" and "Good! Interdicting should be hard, in fact Frontier should make it harder!" and "Ohhh... Is someone sad they have to actually work for their merits now?? :qq:"

So yeah. A bunch of sad lonely masochists actually praising Frontier for breaking this aspect of their game with the usual fanboy responses we know and love.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Can confirm mining is p. good now.

As already mentioned. You get basically x3 to x5 more fragments than 1.3. No refinery bin management, and limpets are much smoother in practice. :iia:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What's a good ship for mining that's cheaper than the Vulture?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Type6 (edit: Possibly Diamondback Explorer, but I'm not too sure on Max Cargo), but if it's a fancy Vulture an Asp would be sweet.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the OP and reading the buyers guide flowchart and am left with a question:

I bought into the premium beta for $90 back before Gamma rolled out. Is there any way to verify if I still need to buy Horizons or not? I can't remember what the original package details were but I know it also came with the "mercenary edition" of Elite.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, the Type 6 looks the best in that price range: http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_6_transporter/03C4D4A2D3D2D4C2l2l---04041vC043P4C5.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

The DBE would have only half the cargo capacity.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

I was looking at the OP and reading the buyers guide flowchart and am left with a question:

I bought into the premium beta for $90 back before Gamma rolled out. Is there any way to verify if I still need to buy Horizons or not? I can't remember what the original package details were but I know it also came with the "mercenary edition" of Elite.
It's in the flowchart: Premium Beta owners have already access to Horizons and the Lifetime expansion pass.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Siets posted:

The one thread I saw about this on the E:D forums last night had been started by a guy with the same complaints I had. Then you had about 5:1 numbers of people responding to him with "you do know this is Elite:Dangerous right!?! :smug:" and "Good! Interdicting should be hard, in fact Frontier should make it harder!" and "Ohhh... Is someone sad they have to actually work for their merits now?? :qq:"

So yeah. A bunch of sad lonely masochists actually praising Frontier for breaking this aspect of their game with the usual fanboy responses we know and love.

:smug:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

It's in the flowchart: Premium Beta owners have already access to Horizons and the Lifetime expansion pass.

Yeah, that part is in the flowchart.

I pulled up my receipt from when I bought the game and it just says "Elite Dangerous - Beta" purchased for $90 USD with the euro amount below it.

I know I purchased prior to release/gamma, I think it was Beta 3 or so when I jumped in, when the pill was still active. I'm just curious if I bought in to the premium beta or if I somehow didn't and still need to drop the cash on Horizons.

The question was: How do I verify this is the right beta package? Should I just email support or is there another way?

I can't get to the store account page from work due to filter policy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Powerplay is poo poo, and anyone playing it deserves everything they get for encouraging them to iterate on that shitshow instead of ripping it out from the root and starting again.

I'm glad you're having a bad time. Glad, you hear!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Powerplay is poo poo, and anyone playing it deserves everything they get for encouraging them to iterate on that shitshow instead of ripping it out from the root and starting again.

I'm glad you're having a bad time. Glad, you hear!

I mean... I was already having a bad time before. With this patch, it's more like I got laid off by the man on a Tuesday rather than a Friday just so they can screw me that little bit more on my last paycheck.

At this point I'm ready to retire to the peaceful, pastoral life of being a space rock miner in non-colonized space. :psydwarf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

The question was: How do I verify this is the right beta package? Should I just email support or is there another way?

I can't get to the store account page from work due to filter policy.
I think the only way to verify is to email support asking them if you do, since that information is not present on the store account page*.
Did you have access to the closed CQC beta? If so, you should be more than covered.

*at least I can't find it on mine, and I know I have the Lifetime expansion as part of my Kickstarter/Alpha reward

• Locked thread