Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
So I'm eligible for an upgrade. Been eyeing the new iPhone through Next. If I wanted to put money down, is there any way to change the length of the payment period? On att.com, it says I'd be paying $X over 28 months if I put the 30% down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Why put money down on an interest free loan? You can always take that 30%, find something better to do with it (even if it just sits in a non-interest bearing account of yours), and if you want to shorten the term by 30%, pay the money out at the end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No? It's call postpaid for a reason.

Actually, it depends on how the rep provisions a cancellation. If your bill cycle date is the 1st to the 30th, you paid a month ahead as normal, and cancelled on the 15th, the next months bill would generate the 15-30th back as a credit (or mailed check if the account is cancelled). However, if the rep sets it to cancel at the End of the bill cycle, then there wouldn't be a credit.

Ports always cancel day of port, so if you ported on the 15th, your cancel date is the 15th.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My girlfriend is having a bit of trouble with this whole upgrading stuff so I come to you. She currently is paying month to month with whatever $25 discount she has. She's looking to get the new iphone. She really doesn't care to upgrade every year so Next 12 seems whatever. Ultimately is it better for her to get the Next 18 or just pony up the 2 year subsidy price in the long run? She's on a mobile share plan of 15GB with her mom so right now her bill is ~145.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It will be cheaper for her to use Next. At the bare minimum, she will be paying $600 (she will lose the $25 discount for the 24 months of the contract) plus the subsidized cost, which I think for every model of iPhone will come out to be less than the Next cost over time, no matter which plan she picks.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I hate to be the millionth person to ask about this but I feel like I'm missing something. Right now my wife and I have iPhone 5S's and are in a 2 year contract that ends in January. We have the 5 gigs of data plan and unlimited talk and text. Our bill is roughly $110. We have an 18% FAN discount through my job. For whatever reason we are getting the $15 off per line even though we're in contract. We are eligible for upgrade now if we use Next.

It looks to me like if we go with Next 12 and 64GB iPhone 6S's and keep the same plan, our bill is just going to go up by $75 a month ($37.50 or so per phone per month). I feel like I'm missing something because that's a big increase. Is that really just the cost of doing Next? I can't figure out what a new 2 year contract would do either, I used the calculator thing and it is almost as much as the Next plan per month. Are we just going to be paying a lot more than we do now regardless? Did prices increase?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

beejay posted:

I hate to be the millionth person to ask about this but I feel like I'm missing something. Right now my wife and I have iPhone 5S's and are in a 2 year contract that ends in January. We have the 5 gigs of data plan and unlimited talk and text. Our bill is roughly $110. We have an 18% FAN discount through my job. For whatever reason we are getting the $15 off per line even though we're in contract. We are eligible for upgrade now if we use Next.

It looks to me like if we go with Next 12 and 64GB iPhone 6S's and keep the same plan, our bill is just going to go up by $75 a month ($37.50 or so per phone per month). I feel like I'm missing something because that's a big increase. Is that really just the cost of doing Next? I can't figure out what a new 2 year contract would do either, I used the calculator thing and it is almost as much as the Next plan per month. Are we just going to be paying a lot more than we do now regardless? Did prices increase?

That's just how Next works. The cost of the phones is no longer built into the phone service plan -- instead you pay an extra monthly fee until the phones are paid off.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah... I guess I thought the plan would go down since the price of the phone wouldn't be built into the monthly cost of the plan anymore. But it sounds like they just raised all the costs and people just have to deal. Welp.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

beejay posted:

Yeah... I guess I thought the plan would go down since the price of the phone wouldn't be built into the monthly cost of the plan anymore. But it sounds like they just raised all the costs and people just have to deal. Welp.

It just means that they aren't going to subsidize your expensive iPhones anymore. You want it, you gotta pay for it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

so I got a new SIM card yesterday and switched to a Samsung Galaxy Alpha that I'm borrowing until the new Nexus comes out (or I decide to buy a Z5C instead), and I've gotten about twenty texts that look like this:

the string at the end is different every time. I haven't been able to detect a pattern of when they're being sent. anyone know how to stop these?

anyone seen this before? I've gotten well over 100 of these loving texts at this point. I've disabled notifications and blocked the number from showing in Messenger, but it's still annoying because my phone tells me I have unread texts until I look at my archive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

The monthly cost did go down. That's why you get a discount of $15 a line.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah it all came back to me tonight when I went to the AT&T store. I went in there several months ago and they switched me to the Mobile Share Value plan and my bill went way down. It completely slipped my mind. That was actually really cool of them to do when I was under contract.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Something is up with AT&T's DNS or something.

Apple Music just won't work with it.

When I use VPN to connect to home (which has Charter) and use that DNS, Apple Music plays just fine.

Every now and then another thread pops up on reddit or MacRumors or other sites about this.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Do you have to turn in earbuds/cables/power plug/box with your phone on Next?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

Do you have to turn in earbuds/cables/power plug/box with your phone on Next?

No.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hey, guys. What's the go-to AT&T phone for stock android or open boot loader? I had a bad experience with Samsung so I'm jumping ship after 5 years of galaxys, and I need to be able to unlock on day one for work. Not sure if that's possible but if it is I imagine it's via root. I really don't feel like dicking around on the internet to find out how to get admin rights on a phone I took out a 2 year loan on.

Not canceling the family plan or anything but AT&T doesn't operate where I travel and they are dickheads about letting me use other carriers when I travel while paying them 200$ a month for the privilege. I looked at unlocked phones but they are pretty expensive (I know I pay for them anyway), and I want something fancy to help fill the hole in my life for a few weeks.

Actually I just read that all of the other carriers offer unlocks? This is a great time to change carriers for me. Is there any chance ATT has changed their rules? I've been paying them money on time, every month, since 2006. Last time I begged a supervisor for an unlock for travel they told me to go gently caress myslelf in my face.

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 1, 2015

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
I think you're confusing an unlocked bootloader with it being carrier unlocked. The two are different. If you buy a Nexus 6 from AT&T today then you'll be able to unlock its bootloader but unless you buy it outright, you won't be able to carrier unlock it which is what you need to use other carriers. Also, carriers have no obligation to give you an unlock code for your phone until the contract for it is finished or you pay the rest of what is owed for it.
As for a stock android phone recommendation, the Nexus 6 from Motorola/Google just had it's price reduced to $350 from $650 which I believe puts it pretty solidly as the best phone for the price point. I've had mine for the last year and it's really great.

zerocrash fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 1, 2015

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Nexus 5X will be out at the end of October I believe at $379 if you don't want a giant phone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Something is up with AT&T's DNS or something.

Apple Music just won't work with it.

When I use VPN to connect to home (which has Charter) and use that DNS, Apple Music plays just fine.

Every now and then another thread pops up on reddit or MacRumors or other sites about this.

OK, it's definitely not just me.

Mac Rumors is now reporting on it:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/01/att-iphone-users-unable-to-download-apps/

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've got an iPhone 6+, just realized today that it's bent right underneath the bottom volume button. Didn't drop it or anything, I've got it in an Apple leather case and have it in my pocket a lot. I don't have Applecare, but I do have Asurion through AT&T. Would it be better to take it to an Applestore instead of using up one of my insurance replacements? Is there any chance I could get AT&T or maybe Apple to upgrade me to the 6s+?. I just bought the phone about 2 1/2 months ago on a Next 24 plan.

Edit: Nevermind, ATT just told me to bring it to apple for a warranty replacement. Thinking about selling the replacement to pay off what I owe on the next plan and upgrading to a 6s+ so I won't have to worry about it bending again.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 2, 2015

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Anyone know if the following scenario is possible?

- Line on T-Mobile prepaid. Area Code X
- Line on AT&T prepaid. Area Code X
- Line on AT&T postpaid account A. Area Code Y
- Line on AT&T postpaid account B. Area Code Y

I'd like to merge all of the above to one new AT&T Family Share account. I'd be doing this from Area Code X but I want everyone to keep their numbers. Possible? And what is the best way to go about it if it is possible?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brock Landers posted:

Anyone know if the following scenario is possible?

- Line on T-Mobile prepaid. Area Code X
- Line on AT&T prepaid. Area Code X
- Line on AT&T postpaid account B. Area Code Y

I'd like to merge all of the above to one new AT&T Family Share account. I'd be doing this from Area Code X but I want everyone to keep their numbers. Possible? And what is the best way to go about it if it is possible?

Sure. Just stop by an ATT store and they'll get you set. You rill have transfer fees form,owing lines between ATT accounts unless you Can get the manager to waive them.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sure. Just stop by an ATT store and they'll get you set. You rill have transfer fees form,owing lines between ATT accounts unless you Can get the manager to waive them.

Cool. Follow-up question:

Do I need the people in charge of the other post paid accounts in the store, or is it enough to call them from the store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brock Landers posted:

Cool. Follow-up question:

Do I need the people in charge of the other post paid accounts in the store, or is it enough to call them from the store?

They don't have to be in store. But their account has to be notated by customer care that it is authorized.

"John smith authorizes full transfer of billing responsibility to Jane smith for phone number 555-555-5555."

Etc. the note is essential.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but do I have to take an iPhone 6s+ out of the box and activate it before I try and sell it? I used a two year upgrade on a corporate line at time of purchase.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I switched service from AT&T to T-Mobile on September 25th (iPhone day). I went into T-Mobile, and they ported my number over and everything, no problems there.

I went into the AT&T store today to settle my final bill, and they informed me that since was one day into my new billing cycle when I switched, and I would have to pay the entire ~$100, even though I had only been on the new billing cycle for 8 hours. In effect, I owe them $100 for 1 day worth of service.

I couldn't switch earlier because I was getting the new iPhone and if I cancelled the night before I would lose my number. They also said that they used to pro-rate final bills, but they stopped doing that in May (and apparently you didn't have to agree to or even know about this change, it just happens). The manager basically just said I'm poo poo out of luck and I should call customer support because they're not going to do anything about it since I'm not a customer (even though I was for 6 years). By my estimates, I should owe them about $3.50 or so, for one day worth of service, but they said they bill "in advance" now for a month of service, regardless of how much you use it or not.

Any ideas of what I can do, short of trying to sue them over $95?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

I switched service from AT&T to T-Mobile on September 25th (iPhone day). I went into T-Mobile, and they ported my number over and everything, no problems there.

I went into the AT&T store today to settle my final bill, and they informed me that since was one day into my new billing cycle when I switched, and I would have to pay the entire ~$100, even though I had only been on the new billing cycle for 8 hours. In effect, I owe them $100 for 1 day worth of service.

I couldn't switch earlier because I was getting the new iPhone and if I cancelled the night before I would lose my number. They also said that they used to pro-rate final bills, but they stopped doing that in May (and apparently you didn't have to agree to or even know about this change, it just happens). The manager basically just said I'm poo poo out of luck and I should call customer support because they're not going to do anything about it since I'm not a customer (even though I was for 6 years). By my estimates, I should owe them about $3.50 or so, for one day worth of service, but they said they bill "in advance" now for a month of service, regardless of how much you use it or not.

Any ideas of what I can do, short of trying to sue them over $95?

Call and ask is your best bet. Company stores won't credit that unless you have a really nice manager, for better or worse there is no benefit.

Honestly, last I checked what happens is you are billed a month in advance, however you cancelled one day in, so the next months bill should register the difference. The worst case scenario is wait a month, see if it prorates.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently use a Nexus 5 on AT&T and just recently purchased the new Nexus 6P. Since the new 6P uses a nano sim, I need to get a new SIM card. I would like to get this taken care of before the phone ships. Am I able to go to the AT&T store and ask for a nano sim card even though I'm still using a different SIM card in my Nexus 5?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

I currently use a Nexus 5 on AT&T and just recently purchased the new Nexus 6P. Since the new 6P uses a nano sim, I need to get a new SIM card. I would like to get this taken care of before the phone ships. Am I able to go to the AT&T store and ask for a nano sim card even though I'm still using a different SIM card in my Nexus 5?

They can't just give you a SIM anymore (fraud issues). Just bring in the phone when you get it.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
It's $5 for a sim now too. Had to pay when my sister needed to borrow my galaxy s4 while her iphone 6 was getting fixed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

zerocrash posted:

It's $5 for a sim now too. Had to pay when my sister needed to borrow my galaxy s4 while her iphone 6 was getting fixed.

Was this a retail store or independent store?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anybody have the correct APN settings for a nexus 6? I'm having issues with sending and receiving MMS all of a sudden.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

zerocrash posted:

Corporate locations ("real" AT&T stores) do not charge for SIM cards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Anybody have the correct APN settings for a nexus 6? I'm having issues with sending and receiving MMS all of a sudden.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424489&cv=820

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
So the best phone ever was announced today.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia950/

AT&T only in the US.

I have 2 phones and 2 tabs on contract with Verizon, how good is the switch to AT&T promo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uziduke posted:

So the best phone ever was announced today.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia950/

AT&T only in the US.

I have 2 phones and 2 tabs on contract with Verizon, how good is the switch to AT&T promo?

It's Windows phone, so not the best phone ever.

But anyway, ATT should be offering $100 a line to switch plus trade in promos last I checked. You won't get the $100 for the tab lines though. I would stop by a store and see what they can do for you.

ATT coverage is usually fine compared to big red, a bit weaker in certain parts of the country (sucked in Tennessee for me) but otherwise more than fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to tell how much the 950 or 950 XL will cost if I have an AT&T Next plan yet? Purchased a Lumia 1020 in December of 2013.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

CharlesM posted:

Is there a way to tell how much the 950 or 950 XL will cost if I have an AT&T Next plan yet? Purchased a Lumia 1020 in December of 2013.

Approximately MSRP of phone / months of Next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. It figures that this is the first Windows phone I am actually interested in... and it's AT&T only.