Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I just bought the first volume of The Devil is a Part-Timer. Haven't gotten very far in it yet, but it seems alright.

Still mad that I never got to read all of Full Metal Panic (I think TokyoPop only released 3 of them, at least that's what I have).

Also got the "new" Haruhi book, which I still need to read as well.

Are the translations for Log Horizon and No Game No Life any good? Those are on my to buy list right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Today's Kumo-chan had the much awaited debut of Maou Shoujo Ariel-chan. :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sonata Mused posted:

I just bought the first volume of The Devil is a Part-Timer. Haven't gotten very far in it yet, but it seems alright.

Still mad that I never got to read all of Full Metal Panic (I think TokyoPop only released 3 of them, at least that's what I have).

Are the translations for Log Horizon and No Game No Life any good? Those are on my to buy list right now.

The fan translations of the additional fmp novels were garbage, but the full metal panic sigma manga has been fully and competently translated if you want to know how the story ends.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Of course even after passing the singularity kumoko is still small-time. It seems to be the case that wisdom is realizing how insignificant you are, or rather she is a big fish in a small pond that finds a bigger pond and then grows bigger until she is the biggest fish. I'm not sure what I'm rambling about but the point is I want this spider to be more overpowered still, until she is the strongest being in the multiverse

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

All signs point to her being some sort of avatar or creation of D, so technically she already is.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012

Algid posted:

All signs point to her being some sort of avatar or creation of D, so technically she already is.

Well She has already become stronger than her mother and her grandmother/ancestor so here's hoping she surpasses D as well.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sonata Mused posted:

Are you buying the Japanese novels or have these all received official English translations + physical releases? I know Dungeon got a release but I didn't realize, if it's the latter, how many have been coming over.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Official English translations. I've just been getting them off amazon. There are usually softcover and kindle versions. Haruhi has hard covers though

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Wakaba hid her personality well, the class thinks she was some kind of cool, aloof beauty but just a fragment of her soul was enough to turn the most ancient and powerful existence below the gods into a walking embarrassment that even she can't stand.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Desuwa posted:

Wakaba hid her personality well, the class thinks she was some kind of cool, aloof beauty but just a fragment of her soul was enough to turn the most ancient and powerful existence below the gods into a walking embarrassment that even she can't stand.

Which is appropriate as body-in-charge couldn't stand main-in-charge either. :v:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

macfam posted:

Dating sim/romance novel reincarnations.

Destruction Flag Otome: This one is very pleasant.

An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku: I didn't stick with this one but it wasn't bad.

It seems like I got reincarnated into the world of a Yandere Otome game: I meant to read this one but then stalled after a chapter or two, I'll give it another look.

I, the Demon King, have become a noble girl villainess? Hah, what a joke: This one turned me off after a few chapters.

Kenkyo, kenjitsu o motto ni ikitie orimasu!(not sure what the translated title is): Apparently this is one of the earlier ones that started the trend? The translation stalled but it was picked up by another translator, and it seems good so far.

I need to find something better to do with my commute than read lovely WN/LN translations.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

macfam posted:

Here are some pictures of a cute spider, I can only hope for more fanart once the light novel comes out, and then the high budget anime, and then people will dress like spiders and want to be spiders. It is only a matter of time until the spider agenda will dominate the world. Er, forget about that last part and just look at the pretty drawings.

-disgusting pics-

NMS your frightening spider trash.
Spiders are lower than trash, they're literal demon spawn. And rank a -100 on the uguu scale. :colbert:

quote:

Kenkyo, kenjitsu o motto ni ikitie orimasu!(not sure what the translated title is): Apparently this is one of the earlier ones that started the trend? The translation stalled but it was picked up by another translator, and it seems good so far.
If I'm reading this right, I think it's "I'll Live Humbly and Reliably!" or "I'll live with humility and reliably as my motto!"

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 6, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Desuwa posted:

An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku: I didn't stick with this one but it wasn't bad.

It gets kind of awkward because it segues into a more serious plot, and none of the characters feel particularly developed enough for me to care.

Destruction Flag Otome is the best of the lot because it ends before it wears out its welcome too much. A lot of the characters get reduced to moving scenery in the final arc though, which was lame. Also I choose to believe Mary won.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Alright, I have to admit I've become kind of lost about what's what for Kumo right now, so I'm just going to type out my understanding in hopes that I can get corrected.

At some point, the fantasy world was a normal, even futuristic, world, in which they tapped into the MA field--basically soul energy--for power. Things wind up going badly because ???, and D comes into power. D pretty much remakes the world, setting up an elaborate system of 'skills'. The process of gaining skills pretty much builds up your own MA energy, and when you die that energy is all reclaimed by the system. So it's all set up to maximize collection of MA energy. At first, D is the only administrator, I think? Maybe Sariel (goddess of that one not-Divine Word religion, I don't think we've actually seen her). Ariel, the Origin Taratect, is around before the system is set up, and just kind of slowly amasses power, because she's actually sort of cowardly. She's powerful, but not a god/admin. Gyuri started off as an Earth Dragon, but managed to ascend to admin status, I think?

So the system goes for a while, until eventually the Hero and Demon King team up to try and kill D with a giant blast of Dimension Magic. They fail, but in the process they drain a shitload of MA energy out of the system, and blow up Kumo's class. Now, the world is kind of creaking to an end because the system was destabilized by the massive energy loss. Ariel (now fused with Kumo, and therefore considerably sillier than before) plans to have a giant war between Demons and Humans in order to inject energy back into the system, without really caring about who wins.

The ruling Elf, Potimas, seems to be aware of all this, and has led the Elves in an effort to basically starve out the system and bring everything to collapse. The Pope of the Divine Word religion is also aware of this, and is working extra-hard at the religion's secret purpose of maximizing MA energy gains.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Alright, I have to admit I've become kind of lost about what's what for Kumo right now, so I'm just going to type out my understanding in hopes that I can get corrected.
Machine translation rendered today's chapters /extra/ incomprehensible, but... I think so?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

D never came into power she was a foreign god that made the system to (somehow) fix what's going on. Most of the native gods were dragons who ditched the world because of the Apocalypse, Kuro is a dragon as well, he's staying because Sariel is literally Jesus and is in the process of dying for everyone's sins. Kuro, Ariel and Sariel were all around before the system, 2 of them were gods, one of them was a spider Sariel saved (it's what she does, that's why we see Shun channeling her personality after getting Kindness).

The details of why the world is ending isn't clear, it definitely happens if MA energy runs out, but there might be other triggers too. All we really know about elf-dad is that he's still using MA tech and he's an rear end in a top hat.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
At that very moment, I'm at the puberty climax

:heysexy:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I think I just had the biggest "gently caress yeah!" moment in chapter 199 of I Shall the Heavens that I've experienced in any of these novels so far. If y'all haven't given it a try yet and like the Xanxia genre I cannot recommend it high enough.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I heartily concur with the ISSTH's recommendations.

But I can't say the same for the last bunch of translated chapter's of the same author's Xian Ni. I haven't got a clue what the hell the story is up to. I seem to remember that there were a lot of plot lines left dangling ages ago, but rather than to actually do something with it like ISSTH, the author just makes up poo poo as he goes and that gives me the impression I'm reading filler or something. I really don't give a drat about endless descriptions of void creatures or taming devils.

Against the Gods is getting too self-eulogizing for my taste. I know that gaining powerups, techniques, weapons and items is a staple of the xianxia genre, but an MC should have to put some work into it, there should be some tension, the formula shouldn't always be glorious victory against overwhelming odds, that gets boring fast. ATG's MC gains everything wherever he goes, in comparison ISSTH's Meng Hao often doesn't really gain anything at all from a lot of his adventures, but advances or adds plot instead, which is a lot more compelling. The current developments in ATG feel hamfisted, like a kid excitedly telling his buddy, 'and then he beat 100 enemies! but there were even more and he beat them too! and then 1000 enemies! 100.000! he's so strong!'.

Now that I'm writing anyway. I'd prefer if Sevens dropped the whole harem thing and just focused on dungeoneering, skills and the peanut gallery old generations ragging on Lyle. Heck, I'd be happy enough if the harem stuff was just a bit more muted like at the start rather than gaining a new girl every few chapters lately.

I'm still enjoying Ze Tian Ji, King Shura, and Douluo Dalu, a lot. I only wish they'd be translated faster, especially the first two.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
Which adventures has Meng Hao had that don't result in him stumbling across techniques/artifacts lost for hundreds/thousands of years? cause the dude has like a dozen of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Meng Hao only ever finds things that give him an edge. He is never invincible. Even those vaunted unique cultivation levels only let him punch above his weight class, not ignore it completely. Heck, if anything all the stuff he obtains gets hyped up too much and is never quite as wonderful in practice.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I probably should've voiced that somewhat differently. Yes, he's obtaining a lot of stuff, but often it's not just plain techniques or powerful items, sometimes it's questionable whether the gains are beneficial, and even when it's of great benefit it often comes with potential drawbacks. The powerups generally happen side-by-side to the plot developments, and the plot isn't just Meng Hao getting stronger and stronger.

Gaining Ultimate Vexation will probably turn into some sort of benefit, but right now it's just a nuisance. But that kind of stuff is more interesting than gaining Ultimate Primordial Phoenix Something Something Kill Skill that does nothing but kill things, and apparently it ties in with the mirror from way back. Or a gain comes with a drawback, like being impervious to poisons while actually still being poisoned, which apparently also comes with a potential backstory. Or gaining a perfect foundation which comes with heavenly tribulations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think the best part of issth is how Meng Hao isn't a pushover, but neither is he a vengeful psychopath like most wuxia wn's seem to present as the epitome of virtue. Like, before I dropped martial god asura (due to the mc being not only a rapist, but was known to have raped a girl and no one really minded except the girl herself), one of the many doublehitlers decided to have the mc's family killed. Only, he had no reason to do so. The two of them had a duel scheduled, and the doublehitler had absolutely no cause to think he would be in trouble. The mc hadn't really done anything in particular to offend the doublehitler either, or at least nothing that wouldn't be resolved with the duel. So when the mc tortured and mutilated the doublehitler in public it was supposed to be justified, because after all this guy had killed the mc's family. Obviously, his family was only killed to provide that justification, which is just awful, awful writing.

That was a bit of a tangent, but still, that poo poo is pretty common in wuxia wn's but not in issth. So my point is, while issth is pretty good on its own, it is much better when contrasted with the most of the genre.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The best part about ISSTH is that Meng Hao is a person, not a caricature, unlike say Chu Feng from MGA who is a schizophrenic psychopath at best. He just does things. Doesn't do the same thing every time. Treats people differently based on how he likes them. He's inconsistent in a very human way, unlike most Xianxia protagonists who are inhuman in a very consistent way. It's also why I like Ze Tian Ji and King Shura so much, because it's not all about "Find doohickey, get stronk, murder bad".

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Meng Hao also grows and changes like an actual person. He gets experience and uses said experience to adjust to situations as opposed to just murdering everyone who opposes him for no reason. It's a good novel and the writing is also quite good.

Edit: Although, I guess I should mention there still is -a lot- of murdering. Can't escape your genre roots I guess.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 8, 2015

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I like how weird everything is in ISSTH, butt-explosions, creepy lake girl, and giant turtle country aren't really standard fantasy elements. Also the dialogue is full of one-liners and ironic echoes, it's like an 80s action movie.

What I'm saying is you should go read ISSTH right now.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm reading retarded korean garbage, the legendary moonlight sculptor. It's literally about poopsocking in an mmo. I love it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The translation of volume 6 of OSO is done.

I actually really liked how the battle turned around not because Taku (who could literally be the MC of another novel) is some god mode poopsocker but just because he's an effective leader. The two phases of the fight contrasted really well.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I was looking for something new to read on Novelupdates when I clicked a link for Unlimited Fafnir. The blurb for it is amazing.

quote:

With the sudden appearance of the monsters that came to be called dragons, the world had completely changed. Before long, supernatural girls with the power of the dragons, called “D”, were born within the human race. The secret existence of the only male “D”, the boy Mononobe Yuu, was forcefully thrown into the school where the girls of “D” gathered – Midgard, where he saw the naked body of one of the students, Iris.

I sort of want to read it solely to find out if there are a bunch of "D" quotes to misconstrue horribly.

BlitzBlast posted:

The translation of volume 6 of OSO is done.

OSO keeps being an amazingly chill read.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I'm reading retarded korean garbage, the legendary moonlight sculptor. It's literally about poopsocking in an mmo. I love it

You should read Ark. It's the same thing, but even more Gary Stu. Or Quan Zhi Gao Shou, which is literally about people playing a WoW-like at the pro level. Keyboards and everything, no VR here.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

You should read Ark. It's the same thing, but even more Gary Stu. Or Quan Zhi Gao Shou, which is literally about people playing a WoW-like at the pro level. Keyboards and everything, no VR here.

Ark is definitely more of the same, just with something other than sculpting. It's a decent enough read if you want to waste some time on a nice power fantasy.

Quan Zhi Gao Shou == The King's Avatar? If so, it's actually been pretty entertaining for me. It's certainly a different take on the whole gaming thing.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

rizzen posted:

Quan Zhi Gao Shou == The King's Avatar? If so, it's actually been pretty entertaining for me. It's certainly a different take on the whole gaming thing.

Yepp. I like it a lot it more than most of the "I am trapped in a game/need to play a game for a living/transported to a game-like world" drek out there, but it is weird to realize I'm enjoying reading about some other guy poop socking in 'generic fantasy MMO'. It helps that it has the only remotely plausible reason for why the MC is clowning everyone at MMOs though.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I can't say I've tried a lot of wuxia/xiaxia novels but most of the time my eyes just glaze over and I stop caring because the MC is such an rear end in a top hat, but ISSTH kept my attention. I liked Quan Zhi Gao Shou but I stalled at some point because holy poo poo there's just so goddamn much of it being translated so fast, and it wasn't as good as ISSTH to keep me invested. May or may not go back, I liked it.

I've kept up on Desolate Era, made easy by the translation being slow, but ISSTH just really embarrasses it by contract. I cannot think of a single named character that survives more than a few chapters that isn't also part of Ning's clan. Everyone just dies, and if there are any that have names they just fade into the background without making an impression at all. Hell even with his clan members he outstrips them so fast that they won't remain relevant to the story in a volume or two.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That's just i eat tomatoes. All of his stories are entirely about gaining power and kind of flounder when he tries to focus on anything else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I was looking for something new to read on Novelupdates when I clicked a link for Unlimited Fafnir. The blurb for it is amazing.

I sort of want to read it solely to find out if there are a bunch of "D" quotes to misconstrue horribly.

I wouldn't, it's generic even by Japanese Pop Culture standards. The anime has Kitiro Voice and everything.

That said, thanks for tuning me in to Novel Updates realy nice and tidy little site that is.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 9, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I was using aho updates, but novel updates is much nicer, thanks. Plus, it doesn't list blog posts as releases. This one guy seems to have declared himself the grand arbiter of translation ethics and just seeing the titles of his blog posts irritates me.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Time for ninja vampire baby.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's just i eat tomatoes. All of his stories are entirely about gaining power and kind of flounder when he tries to focus on anything else.

I don't know, his stoires are usually best in the middle stages where the character actually has peers and a plot is there- Desolate Era for example will have peers that will stay relevant for volume 8-13 or so, and then there is a bigass plot until vol 23.

ISSTH... I haven't kept up to date with it in fact because I felt there was an annoying lack of characterisation. I'm guessing it got a lot better, but from the time he left the sec (Chapter 30 or so?) to chapter 120 he was basically alone 99% of the time and it never felt like it was going somewhere.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Time for ninja vampire baby.

What's with these excellent brats?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Arkeus posted:

ISSTH... I haven't kept up to date with it in fact because I felt there was an annoying lack of characterisation. I'm guessing it got a lot better, but from the time he left the sec (Chapter 30 or so?) to chapter 120 he was basically alone 99% of the time and it never felt like it was going somewhere.

Oh boy have you been missing out. It's most definitely going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Tomorrow's Kumo-chan should include this chapter, "Blood 10 Strange woman and dangerous woman".

Which is the strange woman and which is the dangerous woman?

• Locked thread