Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ibogaine posted:

If you look at the rise of fascism in the past, the people you described have always been pivotal in its rise.

How is fascism going to rise in American government with our constitutional system of checks and balances that separate power? Will Trump fire the Supreme Court Justices, bar shut the doors of the United States Capitol building while Congress is in session and light it on fire to burn them all to death, and declare martial law in perpetuity?

I'm not sure if all the halfwits that call Obama/Trump/anyone but Hitler a Hitler have thought through their deep, hard-hitting analysis, or can even make a decent argument with more substance than a Salon or Huffpo clickbait headline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Smoothrich posted:

How is fascism going to rise in American government with our constitutional system of checks and balances that separate power? Will Trump fire the Supreme Court Justices, bar shut the doors of the United States Capitol building while Congress is in session and light it on fire to burn them all to death, and declare martial law in perpetuity?
Why would he? Replace one or two SCOTUS justices, get some gerrymandering on... and it's all perfectly legal and above board one party rule.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Smoothrich posted:

I'm not sure if all the halfwits that call Obama/Trump/anyone but Hitler a Hitler have thought through their deep, hard-hitting analysis, or can even make a decent argument with more substance than a Salon or Huffpo clickbait headline.

I did not claim that America is going to become fascist. I only pointed out that the people you described (lower middle to middle class who are already sliding down in social status or who are afraid to do so) are in fact the people who are traditionally associated with the rise of fascism. Hence the dichotomy you set up in the post I quoted was a flawed one.

I didn't compare anyone with Hitler in my post. In fact, I didn't even mention him.

Did you misclick on my post when you quoted me? You didn't adress anything I said, but reacted very angrily to a kind of opinion I didn't write down. You got so angry that you were even calling these people names.

I was surprised, though, that Obama was compared to Hitler on Salon, so I googled that, and there seems to be a misunderstanding: I only found one article, and the article that apparently got you so angry is actually critically of comparing POTUS with Hitler:

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/13/7_conservatives_who_have_compared_obama_to_hitler/

hth

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Carson on gay marriage

quote:

Laws and regulations should be designed to address normal situations while providing special mechanisms for the creation of exceptions in abnormal situations. Changing the law governing the normal situation in order to accommodate the abnormal situation is like requiring that car seats be designed to accommodate conjoined twins as well as anatomically normal children. The more sensible thing would be to require car seats to accommodate typical children and design special car seats for atypical children as needed. This principle can be applied to a host of situations in our nation. For example, most people are heterosexual, and changing the definition of marriage to suit those outside that definition is unnecessarily complicated.” – Ben Carson, from his new book A More Perfect Union

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pretty sure making the boxes "spouse" instead of husband and wife isn't that complicated.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ben Carson on gay marriage

So every gay couple gets a specially designed handcrafted marriage at the expense of the state?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Well at least he's comparing the gays to conjoined twins instead of pedophiles or bestiality enthuthiasts. That's progress right?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Head to Head:

Trump 56
Bush 36

Fiorina 47
Trump 45

Rubio 50
Trump 43

Carson 52
Trump 41

No real surprises here.

Whelp, GG to that "Trump has a ceiling" stuff - he's polling in the 40s against multiple candidates. A 40% ceiling wins you the nomination.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The flaw of our Democracy is that the system of checks and balances could easily be overpowered by a bearish Slav wrestler

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

CheesyDog posted:

The flaw of our Democracy is that the system of checks and balances could easily be overpowered by a bearish Slav wrestler

Is Trump slav? I never saw him squatting in a track suit...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Quinnipiac has polled FL, OH, and PA.

Florida:

Trump 28
Carson 16
Florida Senator Marco Rubio 14
Former Florida Governor Jeb! Bush 12
Fiorina 7
Cruz 6
Kasich/Paul 2
Christie/Huckabee 1

Ohio

Trump 23
Carson 18
Ohio Governor John Kasich 13
Cruz 11
Fiorina 10
Rubio 7
Jeb! 4
Paul 3
Huckabee 2
Christie 1

Pennsylvania

Trump 23
Carson 17
Rubio 12
Fiorina 8
Cruz 6
Christie 5
Jeb! and Huckabee 4
Kasich 3
Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum 2
Jindal, Pataki, and Paul 1

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jeb Bush at 4% makes me happy.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
The 4% connote excitement.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Patter Song posted:

Once again, Trump's unfavorable is deadly but Jeb's is fine because reasons. Somehow Bush's warchest and endorsements are going to overcome the fact that half the electorate already decided they hate his guts. In other news, the Ben Carson lovefest continues unabated and Marco Rubio is exactly as popular as the woman who destroyed a healthy company and laid off thirty thousand people, and Trump is just as popular as Ted Cruz, who is basically a movie supervillain. Also everyone hates Lindsey Graham.

I think Trump used to have bad unfavorables and Bush good ones but then the campaign happened.

It's hilarious that Trump basically destroyed Jeb's presidential campaign and basically did it only with twitter, instagram, and free publicity.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ibogaine posted:

Is Trump slav? I never saw him squatting in a track suit...

He bred with the finest of Slav stock so his spawn would take over the Earth.

(The joke is on him, Ivana Trump, being Czech, is an tainted Slav-German hybrid)

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Bad news JEB!

Donald hasn't even started fighting for the GOP nomination yet. But he's about to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/donald-trump-plots-his-second-act/2015/10/06/305790c2-6c68-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Can't believe no one has done this one yet:

:godwin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can someone explain the appeal of Carson? Right wing views plus outsider status?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

quote:

“I was angry about the second debate,” he said, complaining about the overheated room and that three hours was one hour too many. “You can’t hold people’s attention,” he said. “ ‘Gone with the Wind’ was three hours, okay?”

... and yet, still slightly less racist

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Boosted_C5 posted:

Can't believe no one has done this one yet:

:godwin:

Unfortunately "Ich bin im Land das größte Schwein/ Und lass mich nur mit Mexikanern ein" (I'm the biggest pig in the country/ and only get together with Mexicans) has too many words, useful as it may be against Jeb!.

But then again, Trump is too magnanimous to kick somebody who is already on the floor and writhing in pain.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of Carson? Right wing views plus outsider status?

My wife and I both really like him.

We probably wouldn't vote for him if the primary were today, due to reservations about his knowledge and preparation to be POTUS (look at what we got with the current unqualified clown) but we really like the guy.

I could easily see myself ditching Trump and her ditching Rubio for Carson if he would follow in Trump's footsteps and simply hire people or associated with GOP politicians to help him craft policy positions and a clear plan for major issues.

Every time we see the guy he just screams "truly decent human being"

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
From that Washington Post Article:

"Trump’s campaign headquarters is on the fifth floor of Trump Tower . . . The main room is a showcase for Trump’s penchant for boastful teasing: a “wall of shame” features downcast photos of the two candidates who have dropped out, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Texas governor Rick Perry . . ."

:vince:

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Boosted_C5 posted:

From that Washington Post Article:

"Trump’s campaign headquarters is on the fifth floor of Trump Tower . . . The main room is a showcase for Trump’s penchant for boastful teasing: a “wall of shame” features downcast photos of the two candidates who have dropped out, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Texas governor Rick Perry . . ."

:vince:

Trump is like the Predator! It's all about the trophies!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Is Trump's plan to use TPP as a huge wedge issue against all of the other candidates?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Boosted_C5 posted:

If you ignore all his racist and homophobic comments and squint reaaaaly hard I guess you could apply the title to him.

In the Age of Trump, I cannot understand his appeal. I don't like Ted Cruz or Carly Fiorinia, but I understand why some people do. If JEB! is low energy, then Ben Carson is no energy. Every time I hear him speak I need to down a red bull then turn the TV volume up about 40 points to make up for his quiet mumbling. I guess he does fill the void of the religious wing for the GOPers who don't heart Huckabee and don't want to back consistent 1%er (in the polls) Rick Santorum, but I can't see him going the distance in the primary.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Young Orc

LloydDobler posted:

I think this is still the most concise counterpoint on the subject of the Redskins' name:

http://www.theonion.com/article/redskins-kike-owner-refuses-to-change-teams-offens-34292

That's still one of the strongest pieces of journalism I've ever seen.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Nastier Nate posted:

If you ignore all his racist and homophobic comments and squint reaaaaly hard I guess you could apply the title to him.

In the Age of Trump, I cannot understand his appeal. I don't like Ted Cruz or Carly Fiorinia, but I understand why some people do. If JEB! is low energy, then Ben Carson is no energy. Every time I hear him speak I need to down a red bull then turn the TV volume up about 40 points to make up for his quiet mumbling. I guess he does fill the void of the religious wing for the GOPers who don't heart Huckabee and don't want to back consistent 1%er (in the polls) Rick Santorum, but I can't see him going the distance in the primary.

Carson is for evangelicals who aren't quite stupid enough to believe the bible is Trumps favorite book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Pretty sure making the boxes "spouse" instead of husband and wife isn't that complicated.

How is being less specific of the gender of two people entering into a legal contract more complicated? Let's not forget that it was just a few years ago that conservatives pushed so hard to change the constitution and laws, often successfully of the federal government and states to make marriage equality is difficult as possible because there was little to no technical reason you could just put Adam under Husband and Steve under Wife and the laws would work exactly the same baring someone getting pissy about the nomenclature.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ben "gun victims are pussies that should die for my rights" Carson

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Carson thinks taking away your guns is more horrifying than the deaths resulting from a mass shooting so by Republican standards he's certainly a decent human being

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Also why would we expect a highly specialized surgeon to have much skill or knowledge outside of his expertise? A long time family friend is an incredibly well respected, extremely well paid, highly specialized surgeon, I don't know if he is autistic or what but I wouldn't trust him to house sit for me. Not because he is untrustworthy but because he would probably burn my house down trying to make popcorn.

edit: I say he is a family friend, his wife is good friends with my mother and I grew up with their daughter before she had a mental break. He was just the weird but nice guy that would just randomly show up for dinner without calling first because his wife was out of down and he couldn't figure out how to eat or something.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 7, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Not understanding Carson's appeal is something Goons and Freepers share.

Other conservatives share Boosted's opinion of Carson: He's a good man who truly cares about people.

Added to that he's an outsider without Washington stink, and he's not Donald Trump. Trump has a YOOOGE gender issue(women hate his guts), and Carson is cleaning up with female demo, and the evangelicals.

EDIT:

Trump is now White Knighting Carson:

Montasque fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

carson will have a chance to refine his approach when the next one happens

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Matt Drudge ranting about the internet/evil corporations on Alex Jone's INFOWARS is a really good indication of where the base is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxbvYWKhX48

Been seeing this since 2012; the base of both sides is going INFOWARS. It's time pull off the blinders and destroy the right wing/left wing paradigm. There is just us and them, and by them I mean the Lizard people.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

white people love ben carson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Montasque posted:

Trump is now White Knighting Carson:

Trump/Carson 2016: We're back, we're bad, you're black, I'm mad

• Locked thread