Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

You'd think, but then I'd have to pick up a few minimum wage jobs around here to make ends meet, because there aren't any IT related jobs available other than travelling out of state five days a week to do cable drops. I'd likely default on my mortgage and lose my house, and my already tenuous relationship with my wife would finally crumble. As a guy working as a grocery bagger and weekend cashier at Gamestop, the courts would award full custody of my children to her, which they likely still would if I was making $100k. I'd finally be able to move off and find a decent job up north, but the loss of my family would weigh heavily on me. I'd find no joy in anything, and I'd probably just sit there with the car running in the garage until the sweet release of death envelops me like a warm blanket.

My swimming thoughts will return to that Z-Series Workstation that was the beginning of my end.

I mutter two words as my world finally fades to black and I exist no longer:

"Worth it."

You sound like my drat wife.

Are you actively seeking work? In other words, getting Indeed emails, hitting up Dice/updating your Linkedin (at least) weekly? Do you not have any hospitals or gently caress, businesses in general in your area? You have to actively look to find jobs sometimes. It's not often they just jump in your lap with no work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What state do you work in? Even in bumfuck Alaska Anchorage was always hiring for IT. I know that picking up everything and moving can be hard but even Alabama has Birmingham with 200k+ people and a number of large employers. There has to be something better even in state that wouldnt be as big of a move.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah in my experience the more backwoods, the more desperate the place is for someone who actually knows what they are doing because companies that have CTO's that are "My cousin who knows computers" are falling apart: See your tv station.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

An updated ticket came in:

The before mentioned ISP email has been responded to this morning by at least 20 other people all using reply all, all saying to be removed from the mailing list.

The ISP has replied to each one using reply all saying that everyone should stop using reply all.

How far does the rabbit hole go?

It's like a micro Bedlam DL3

Be sure to setup proper permissions on your mailing lists folks.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah in my experience the more backwoods, the more desperate the place is for someone who actually knows what they are doing because companies that have CTO's that are "My cousin who knows computers" are falling apart: See your tv station.

The problem is, the more backwoods a place is, they less they respect someone who knows tech, and the less they will pay. References: His TV station; the time I tried to do IT in Memphis.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
Tickets came in

6:00am TO: Bureau IT All
iOS9 Upgrade is NOT Recommended - Calendar Sync Issue

6:01am TO:Bureau IT All

6:02am TO:Bureau IT All

Alright we get it iOS9 is bad we will wait to update everyone's phones.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The problem is, the more backwoods a place is, they less they respect someone who knows tech, and the less they will pay. References: His TV station; the time I tried to do IT in Memphis.

This is pretty much it. I've been scouring for any available jobs, and anything related to IT is going to pay minimum wage. Not that there's anything within a two hour drive of here, but I'd have to get above the Mason-Dixon line for anyone to actually give a rat's rear end about their business's technology. And even if there's a job that pays a decent wage, there aren't many corporations or companies that offer IT related jobs beyond "the IT guy" so there's no upward momentum on the corporate ladder. I've spent the entire morning looking for jobs with keywords like "systems administrator" and "IT" and it usually pulls up a bunch of poo poo for the Navy and Air Force and management opportunities at Captain D's.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=IT&l=Jackson%2C+MS

That's 1200 ads for IT jobs in Jackson. Granted 3/4 of those are probably useless but there is something out there. Thats at least in state for you and a manageable move. I feel for you man, you've got a poo poo job and you need to get out. I just remembered you were the guy that got yelled out for making a RAM christmas wreath way back in 2013! You've been dealing with this poo poo for years now. Get out while you're not a burned out shell of a man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think you're moving in the right direction, but the end result is pretty much going to be a job offer in a different county or a remote job.

Keep working on your LinkedIn. Get as much filled out as possible including a good picture.

Maybe knock out some certs like CCNA or Comptia Security or something.

Link up with as many IT people as possible. Find user groups or other local communities. Try to get in touch with recruiters.

Find out who all the VARs and MSPs in your state are.

Anyone else have advice?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

This is pretty much it. I've been scouring for any available jobs, and anything related to IT is going to pay minimum wage. Not that there's anything within a two hour drive of here, but I'd have to get above the Mason-Dixon line for anyone to actually give a rat's rear end about their business's technology. And even if there's a job that pays a decent wage, there aren't many corporations or companies that offer IT related jobs beyond "the IT guy" so there's no upward momentum on the corporate ladder. I've spent the entire morning looking for jobs with keywords like "systems administrator" and "IT" and it usually pulls up a bunch of poo poo for the Navy and Air Force and management opportunities at Captain D's.

Take a look at "Network Administrator" most small shops use that. Check for required skills being Active Directory to know that it's not an actual Networking only gig.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larches... is the supervisor :vince:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

larchesdanrew, if you're considering moving have you looked at job openings at Blackbaud? They're in Charleston. Tech Support Engineer and Systems Engineer are listed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

larchesdanrew, if you're considering moving have you looked at job openings at Blackbaud? They're in Charleston. Tech Support Engineer and Systems Engineer are listed.

If he's gotta wade through a flood, might as well be water and not poo poo, right?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Have your GM stand outside the door, just behind the wall, so he can hear the conversation. If he's approved it, and and the CE denies his approval, and starts spurting this poo poo...

oh who am i kidding the GM doesn't give a gently caress

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

larchesdanrew posted:

And even if there's a job that pays a decent wage, there aren't many corporations or companies that offer IT related jobs beyond "the IT guy" so there's no upward momentum on the corporate ladder.

Is it really so bad to be "the IT guy" for a year or two, if it pays the bills and is in a sane environment? From there you can start planning and budgeting for the future without all the stress of your current job.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

larchesdanrew posted:

You'd think, but then I'd have to pick up a few minimum wage jobs around here to make ends meet, because there aren't any IT related jobs available other than travelling out of state five days a week to do cable drops. I'd likely default on my mortgage and lose my house, and my already tenuous relationship with my wife would finally crumble. As a guy working as a grocery bagger and weekend cashier at Gamestop, the courts would award full custody of my children to her, which they likely still would if I was making $100k. I'd finally be able to move off and find a decent job up north, but the loss of my family would weigh heavily on me. I'd find no joy in anything, and I'd probably just sit there with the car running in the garage until the sweet release of death envelops me like a warm blanket.

My swimming thoughts will return to that Z-Series Workstation that was the beginning of my end.

I mutter two words as my world finally fades to black and I exist no longer:

"Worth it."

Because it's not as simple as just moving off. I have to convince my wife to leave her job (which thankfully is killing her as my job is killing me), her family, and her friends to uproot and move across the country. This isn't an easy task, since her first husband made her do the exact same thing and she's regretted it ever since. I have to find a job that will accept someone from out of state and then give me enough time to find somewhere to live and move. I have to figure out what to do with my house, because I doubt I could afford a house payment in addition to my rent wherever I move. My wife will have to find a job wherever we move, which will be difficult since she only has a high school degree, but she does have 8 years of administrative experience, so at least that will help.

I mean, it's something I'm working towards, and it's definitely my plan, but it's not a decision I can take lightly, and it's not something I'm going to be able to do at the drop of a hat. It's going to take planning and budgeting and convincing, but mostly it's going to take time.

Until then, I'm here to entertain much more successful people with my lovely stories.

Holy crap, it's as if other goons don't understand that You Can't Just Move when you have other people relying on you. (this isn't a jab at you, more so at other people insisting you move IMMEDIATELY OMGZ)

Keep working at it man, I'm in the, need to move out of state at some point soon, mode but I have a GF (soon to be fiancee) that will need to find a job etc. We're at least both on the same page we want to move, but the argument is still where (she wants to move to california which I'm very against)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope Larches gets some kickass remote engineer job at rates that seem reasonable for someone living in New York or San Francisco, but allow him to live like a feudal lord in his current town.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hope Larches gets some kickass remote engineer job at rates that seem reasonable for someone living in New York or San Francisco, but allow him to live like a feudal lord in his current town.

Yes.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

quote:

I need help with Powerpoint. When I'm typing in the note pages, my mouse pad will scroll and make the notes a very small font and I cannot change it back. I need someone to help me fix the mouse pad so it won't scroll and change the font size

Guessing shift key is stuck and she's running her hand over the touchpad scroll part

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

Doing something blatant like going to a rep and bluffing my way into their graces is enough of a kick in the balls to him to end my poo poo career.

Grow a pair. If he's obstructing a direct order from the GM tell the GM. Get his stupid rear end fired. Climb out of the well.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seems like they are going to execute someone?!? :ohdear:

e: AND abort someone!!

Also it's "dangerous"!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Chickenwalker posted:

Grow a pair. If he's obstructing a direct order from the GM tell the GM. Get his stupid rear end fired. Climb out of the well.

His past posts in this thread have made it seem like that won't do jack poo poo since everybody seems to revere the CE as some sort of money saving god.

Though maybe the GM will actually not bend to the CEs will this time.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

Have you read anything he's posted at all in, say, the past 6 months?

Here's a tip for everyone - not every complaint or horror story is OMG GOON IN WELL HURR

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Chickenwalker posted:

It's amazing how many people lack pattern recognition with regard to larchnesandrew's employer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MF_James posted:

Holy crap, it's as if other goons don't understand that You Can't Just Move when you have other people relying on you. (this isn't a jab at you, more so at other people insisting you move IMMEDIATELY OMGZ)

Keep working at it man, I'm in the, need to move out of state at some point soon, mode but I have a GF (soon to be fiancee) that will need to find a job etc. We're at least both on the same page we want to move, but the argument is still where (she wants to move to california which I'm very against)

Yeah I didnt mean to imply by my post that he was some spineless helpless goon. I just wanted to point out that he doesnt have to make some big leave the state type move. That there are jobs available in bigger cities in the state he is in now. I know having a family means you cant just take a poo poo on the bosses desk and pimp walk out of there. It's going to take some real time and effort. But larches I dont want you to get discouraged! There are jobs in Jackson that you could probably get!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I recently :yotj: into a new job. New company has a sister company, their president submitted a ticket. Outlook is very slow to load. He attached a photo:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:gonk:

Also: I hope his PST is 50 gigs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dick Trauma posted:

:gonk:

Also: I hope his PST is 50 gigs.

Yeah, my boss told me that's the deal (actually his OST). He's resistant to change so boss (who is the IT Director) will tell him he needs to get on 2013 with Caching Mode enabled.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Whats the limit on PST file size again? I seem to remember 128 GBs but I can't imagine anyone actually having a usable computer by that point. Stability cutoff seems to be about 10 GBs in my experience.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

A ticket came in! Names, phone numbers, IP addresses, etc changed to protect the crazy.

Veterinarian Lady posted:

Dear Gilok,
Hi. Sorry to bother you so soon. Someone sent me very large folders of study stuff via google drive. Can you please help me download them to my computer. I will not be at my desk from 2 to 3.30 today. My number is 555-5555. My IP address is 127.0.0.1

Another, Inferior Tech posted:

Ms. Lady,
Please visit this link it is the instructions to download files from google drive.
If you have any issues feel free to give me a call.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2423534?hl=en

My Actually Very Good Boss posted:

User was able to properly access google drive. InferiorTech spoke to her initially and attempted to assist in downloading the documents she needed. Documents were saved to local download folder. User continued to demand to work with Gilok. Escalated ticket to manager for assistance with user. User continued to request that Gilok assist and refused support stating that she'll wait until "next week" when she could speak with Gilok.

Assigning to Gilok.

I have never met this person but I think maybe I have a stalker now.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My boss doesn't QUITE seem to be a hoarder, but he apparently has a hard time letting go of old software...

Even when it's educational versions of software from the late 90's, and the Non-Profit we work for split off from a University over 10 years ago.

So I'm trying to sort through all this ancient crap that previous IT people just piled into the various storage locations, and keep coming across these boxes of old software CD's that I'm told that I have to hold onto! :suicide:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
You know it's going to be a long road to resolution when the Tier 2/3 tech says a Status 500 error is normal behavior when logging into the secondary server.

I had to log into another secondary server to show him that's not the normal behavior, it's supposed to tell you to log into the primary. Which means something is broken on the server throwing the Status 500! But they've never seen it before so pretty much all I get is a "lol never seen this but it's working now right?".

:bang:

I'm going to laugh when it's due to the clients rDNS being broken.

*edit* rDNS has been unbroken, still no change. Oh this is going to be fun

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 7, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

vOv posted:

web browser source thing

Fucks sake this keeps cropping up from time to time, I think some people just faceroll over the keyboard and manage to get the keystroke.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I recently :yotj: into a new job. New company has a sister company, their president submitted a ticket. Outlook is very slow to load. He attached a photo:

Before I joined the company and wised up to things, there was no mailbox limit and most people have access to each others mailboxes so things have become quite ingrained with no expectations about performance or storage. Sometime I need to deliver the hammerblow and enforce limits for everyone, and stop E-mail being the end-all-be-all of everything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

On the topic of email; our problem office has started making painful bleating sounds about getting a trial for Oasys Mail Manager set up because they feel like the current email archiving process is too tiresome for them.

Does anybody have any familiarity with it?

I mean, these guys are such a pain in the rear end they're going to end up buying it regardless of the outcome, but at least I can try to be prepared for the degree of south it will take us.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ummmmmmm, that certainly looks like a nice herd of ponies in the background.

Sooooooo, what ..... Oh forget it.

Ponies.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finally read through the complete thread! Thanks for all the great stories and schadenfreude!

A ticket came in ...

Problem: Can no longer send mail!
Resolution: Removed 657 MB email with pictures in user's outbox, and informed user again of mail size limits.

From the same user:

Problem: Network share is broken!
Resolution: Helped user find pricelist on the share.

Problem: Phone is broken.
Resolution: Informed user that this was impossible, since he was calling me.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A ticket came in: user can't open outlook on new PC

Remote on and find Outlook is now set to open with Adobe Reader. As is everything else, including executables (explorer, regedit etc). Is there an easy way the user could have done that accidentally?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That's come up a few times before in the thread with .lnks but I can't remember the resolution or cause. How is it always Reader? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Probably because it starts with 'A' and the list of programs is alphabetical.
Maybe they shift-clicked it?

• Locked thread