Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Sorry if this has already been discussed, because I'm still trying to catch back up on the thread, but are the free game(s) any good this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Super Meat Boy is super good, Broken Age is fairly split opinion wise but if you like old school adventure games it's worth a look, Unmechanical is a physics based puzzler :barf: nice music though.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

then there's the Kickbeat game that looks really bad but I haven't tried.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Static Rook posted:

You get some during the match, but most of it comes after. Plus the GP you need to unlock poo poo doesn't get counted until the match ends either.

And matches take loving forever too, so after a half hour you don't get any cash at the end and can't buy anything.

Edit: How much are you supposed to earn in the average match? I'm curious how expensive those cosmetic items are meant to be.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 7, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

I finally have time to try MGO and can't connect to a match. Never even got to try the RS Siege beta for the same reason.

Rainbow Six was a lot worse than MGO has been for me. Every time I got into a match of that, I was kicked after a couple minutes so I almost never did more than open a door.

Sakurazuka posted:

Super Meat Boy is super good, Broken Age is fairly split opinion wise but if you like old school adventure games it's worth a look, Unmechanical is a physics based puzzler :barf: nice music though.

Super Meat Boy would be amazing if they had been able to keep the old music

I will never not be sad about that

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

And matches take loving forever too, so after a half hour you don't get any cash at the end and can't buy anything.

Edit: How much are you supposed to earn in the average match? I'm curious how expensive those cosmetic items are meant to be.

The stuff you get with GP is all cosmetic anyway so it shouldn't really matter how long it takes to get stuff, but you get considerably more if you use the auto-matching. Finding a game manually gives 10 GP for a loss, 20 for a win, automatching will give you 50 for a loss and 100 for a win.

Games are pretty short, usually 15 mins max for both rounds of a game so GP builds up fairly quickly. I had enough after playing a bunch of matches last night and some this morning to buy some gear for all my characters, so it seems fine so far unless you want the ridiculous high-end vanity gear like the beret or the Hideo glasses.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am curious what someone who hasn't played the original SMB thinks of the new music.

Speaking of bad music, Kickbeat honestly isn't terrible gameplay-wise but its soundtrack is like wall to wall NuMetal which considering it didn't come out in 1998 is mind-boggling.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They probably don't have a strong opinion because the new music is just kinda there. It's not really bad, per say, but it does replace a much better soundtrack.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

i seem to remember SMB controlling WAY better than it does now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

axleblaze posted:

I am curious what someone who hasn't played the original SMB thinks of the new music.

I only played the demo of the original 360 version briefly and I quite like some of the music in this one, though it gets repetitive quickly.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

axleblaze posted:

yo, that would be me. I didn't really notice it one way or the other. certainly not to the point it detracted from the experience, but not particularly memorable either.

of course, I'm only in the first world

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Compare the new light world hell track with the original. You can make your own judgement on the quality, but I find the new one to be inoffensive but generic, while the old one is legit good and I like it a lot.

Kifisonfire posted:

i seem to remember SMB controlling WAY better than it does now.

I feel like I'm sticking to walls more than I did on PC, but I'm also not clipping through the levels anymore or getting killed on platforms for no reason so it's a fair trade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aishan posted:

The stuff you get with GP is all cosmetic anyway so it shouldn't really matter how long it takes to get stuff, but you get considerably more if you use the auto-matching. Finding a game manually gives 10 GP for a loss, 20 for a win, automatching will give you 50 for a loss and 100 for a win.

Games are pretty short, usually 15 mins max for both rounds of a game so GP builds up fairly quickly. I had enough after playing a bunch of matches last night and some this morning to buy some gear for all my characters, so it seems fine so far unless you want the ridiculous high-end vanity gear like the beret or the Hideo glasses.

Oh, I did get my GP then. I just didn't realize the rates were so terrible.

It's weird that they don't let you buy GP items for MB. Not that I'd want to, but this is exactly that kind of game to do it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not a fan of the new Super Meat Boy music, the way it tries to fit reminds me of those DVD's of old TV shows where they had to replace licensed music and make generic replacements of famous songs. The original was just put together a lot better, like how the retro warp zones used FamiTracker music. Only up to the hospital so far.

Controls seem fine, although I did get both endings on the Xbox 360 using the launch 360 controller's D-Pad so it's entirely possible I'm not starting from a good reference point.

In other news, just received Uncharted HD collection. :getin:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Manatee Cannon posted:

Compare the new light world hell track with the original. You can make your own judgement on the quality, but I find the new one to be inoffensive but generic, while the old one is legit good and I like it a lot.

I feel like I'm sticking to walls more than I did on PC, but I'm also not clipping through the levels anymore or getting killed on platforms for no reason so it's a fair trade.

the new music loving blows

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

finishing world 1 and not hearing the battle of lil slugger kinda bummed me out to play the rest of the game

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Never mind. Restarting the ps4 fixed it.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 7, 2015

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

axleblaze posted:

I only played a few levels of the original SMB and I don't really remember the music all that much, but I do know I didn't have a problem with it. Having said that, the new music is pretty bad. I played for about 15 minutes last night before I was contemplating just turning the volume on my Vita down and playing something else through my phone.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
A couple of very important pieces of information about MGO:
  • Gear Points are used to unlock just about everything except for the five primary colors you can paint your guns; those require MB points.
  • Infiltrator gets some initial advantages very quickly, being able to stealth camo at level 2. Other classes get better advantages that can even cancel this out, but they come at later levels. Basically each class specializes more and more the higher level they are, and when they reach max level they get even more special class abilities.
  • Grouping together you will be split up if teams are not evenly matched the first game. Following games it will always try to put you on the same team.
  • To leave a game, push the left touchpad.
  • All games are played in 2 rounds, with the winner of both rounds determining the winner of the match, or a tie being broken by total points.
  • Bounty Hunter is the most balanced mode right now, just make sure you avoid servers that have tickets set to 100 and 20 or 30 minute matches.
  • Cloak and Dagger is super hard to win as attacker. More strategies may open up at higher levels, but at lower levels you don't have the equipment to help you deal with the large groups of players camping the objectives.
  • Comm Control is hard to win as defender, since you need to control all three or at least two objectives at all times. It probably becomes easier as you level and unlock things like mines, claymores, and other stationary defensive items.
  • Not all the cosmetic options are on display at low level. It is specifically mentioned that ascending your character unlocks class specific suits.
  • The best way to play is to form a group of 3 or 4 people, and start your own server and playlist. Pubbies join in pretty fast once you start with a large enough group.
  • Rush mode is the call-of-duty of game modes, in that you will spawn and instantly be within sight of at least 1 enemy since the map has been restricted down to a smaller area.
  • If playing by yourself you should link with another player. I believe you start out automatically linked at random, but you can choose by having both players hold down r3 while near each other. Stick with your buddy to prevent easy CQC's and cover each other's backs.
  • Use mines and distractors to cover your rear. Like put them in doorways you aren't watching so that when someone triggers it, they are frozen or exploded in place. You'll hear or get a reward that flashes on-screen when this happens, so that you can turn around and deal with them.
  • If server be lagging, leave the game. Host will probably quit anyways.
  • Night Vision Goggles should show you invisible peoples and let you mark them.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 7, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say the music in SMB seems to get better as you go. The first world really has pretty not great music (though the dark world version is better). The second works reminds me of Rebirth music, which isn't bad but not great. I kind of like the third world music with it's 80s drums, though it is a bit unassuming. The 4th world seems pretty great actually but it does suffer from the fact that originally the 4th world in the original had like the best music ever so there's no way it can match it.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

univbee posted:

Not a fan of the new Super Meat Boy music, the way it tries to fit reminds me of those DVD's of old TV shows where they had to replace licensed music and make generic replacements of famous songs. The original was just put together a lot better, like how the retro warp zones used FamiTracker music. Only up to the hospital so far.

Pretty much the same here. The original had a neat angry chiptune sound, whereas the new versions seem like they were put together using free sample packs.

I'm sorry, but your edgy guitars just can't replace a good chiptune.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can you make female soldiers in MGO or just guys?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

At level 6 you can make two more characters of any gender/nationality/class that your heart desires.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Aphrodite posted:

You can, but you can't do it for your first character since that one draws from the single player campaign and you can't give snake boobies. The next two that you create can be either gender though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay, cool.

Another question: What does the cardboard box do in MP? Do some maps have other boxes that might actually trick a human player?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It works exactly the same as in single player

e: it'd be loving amazing if you could unlock a poster of an enemy soldier for the box that makes you appear as a team mate to enemies like the Spy from TF2

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Aphrodite posted:

Okay, cool.

Another question: What does the cardboard box do in MP? Do some maps have other boxes that might actually trick a human player?

Nope. There are no empty boxes by default. The only application I can think of for using it is either messing around, or abandoning to act as a decoy

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

It works exactly the same as in single player

Except enemies still sometimes get fooled by it. A box in MP is just asking to be shot

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Not necessarily. There are places you can put a box that are pretty decent for hiding. For example, hiding in the back of trucks with the cardboard box actually works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Nope. There are no empty boxes by default. The only application I can think of for using it is either messing around, or abandoning to act as a decoy

Getting downhill quicker I guess.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just a little extra bit of info to add to the Meat Boy speculation: apparently DB responded to a tweet saying that the whole falling out had something to do with his contract (or lack thereof) for his services. From the sound of it, DB and Team Meat disagreed over what he was owed for the soundtrack and, since nobody bothered to ya know WRITE IT DOWN, it caused a whole big thing.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

The original SMB soundtrack is on Spotify so you could at least stream it through there and turn off the music in game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGO is surprisingly competent on a technical level but it just feels sloppy from a design standpoint. I really can't see myself putting more than a few more hours in. Especially with battlefront out in a few weeks.

It controls like a tactical shooter but basically plays like COD and the results are bleh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Battlefront isn't out for over a month

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well yeah, still it's coming soon. I've got better designed multiplayer stuff I can at in the mean time though.

It's worth screwing around on for a bit. I guess it might fill a niche for some people, but I feel like the level design and pace is just weird as hell and off putting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One weird thing I noticed is that both Battlefront and MGO hook you up with a randomly selected buddy to work together with and act as a mobile spawn point. Where did this come from suddenly? I haven't heard of this exact implementation before

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MGO's buddy isn't random. You select one during the game by saluting each other with R3.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I think it's pretty neat and also it's going to get a lot of people killed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
MGO's buddy system is clunky poo poo. I like the system itself, but trying to buddy up at the beginning of the map is more difficult than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So this is a PS3 question but since the PS3 is old as gently caress and I can't find the thread for it, I'll ask here:

I'm trying to hook my PS3 back up again. I have a poo poo ton of Sony Playstation composite cables (with the three colored prongs) and an HDMI cable and neither of them appear to be working. I plug it into the AV In section on the back of my TV and nothing. I plug in the HDMI and nothing. I even swapped my PS4 HDMI cable and plugged that into the PS3 and still nothing. I'm quite perplexed, can anyone help me out? Is there some obvious thing I'm failing to do? I can't get signal on either the AV or the Component input settings on my TV ( a Haier HD TV if that helps)

• Locked thread