Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A cleaned-up re-release of Pathologic is coming to Steam very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zombie Samurai posted:

A cleaned-up re-release of Pathologic is coming to Steam very soon.

It should probably be noted that this is not the re-make of Pathologic Icepick Lounge are doing, it's the old game with a comprehensible translation and bugfixes.

Apparently they wanted to get the old version out there because they might make big changes in the new version, and they don't want to anger people who just wanted the old game with a good translation.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

so i played a bit of SOMA last night and i have to say - insofar i'm pretty drat disappointed. i've put about ~1.5 hours in and i don't think i should dedicate any more time than that.

does it get better?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrocat posted:

so i played a bit of SOMA last night and i have to say - insofar i'm pretty drat disappointed. i've put about ~1.5 hours in and i don't think i should dedicate any more time than that.

does it get better?

Depends what exactly you're not liking about it. I feel the game definitely gets better as it goes on though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It depends on what's disappointing you. If it's the pacing, well, it is what it is and it doesn't really change. If you're waiting for a plot hook to grab you I'd probably say to get to the first ocean walk sequence, and if there's still nothing there that you want to explore further, you're probably not going to get much out of it. I got a little farther than that before I realized it was always going to bore me, so I spoiler'd my way through it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It should probably be noted that this is not the re-make of Pathologic Icepick Lounge are doing, it's the old game with a comprehensible translation and bugfixes.

Apparently they wanted to get the old version out there because they might make big changes in the new version, and they don't want to anger people who just wanted the old game with a good translation.

The new Icepick version is going to have a proper translation, right? That was always the big thing keeping me from getting into it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The new Icepick version is going to have a proper translation, right? That was always the big thing keeping me from getting into it.

If they're taking the time to optimize and fix up the old version and give it a better translation then it's a fairly safe bet the total remake with new areas and plot elements will also have a much better translation than the old version.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, back in January this happend.

quote:

It’s been quite a few years since Jason Vorhees took to the big screen to terrify horror fans, but the hockey mask-wearing killer is poised to make a serious comeback in the near future. Talks of a 13th installment in the horror franchise have been swirling and a television series set at Camp Crystal Lake is already in the works. In addition to revitalizing the Friday the 13th franchise on the big and small screen, it appears that video game fans are in for some major scares, as well.

In an interview with EGM Now, Friday the 13th creator and director Sean S. Cunningham confirmed that Jason would be returning to video games for the first time since 1989 later this year. The tentatively titled Friday the 13th game will be an asymmetrical, co-op and competitive multiplayer predator/prey game. Prepare to be split up into a group of survivors where the first group works together against one player controlling the nearly immortal machete-wielding killer.

Cunningham went on to explain the timing for bringing Jason back to the world of video games again after such a long leave of absence:

“With a new television series on the horizon and plans announced for the thirteenth installment of the film franchise, we felt the timing was right to finally explore Jason, Camp Crystal Lake, and the rest of the Friday the 13th story in interactive form.”

The game’s studio hasn’t been announced yet, but Cunningham hinted that the property is in good hands and more information will arrive in the coming weeks. The director explained that the goal is to provide a gaming experience that will offer plenty of replay value, while delivering the trademark thrills and scares that have made the franchise so iconic.

It’s a bit surprising to hear that the game will be more like Left 4 Dead or Evolve than a traditional survival horror game, but we’re not complaining. Some of the most successful recent adaptations have arrived in unexpected genres (The Walking Dead and A Wolf Among Us) and managed to be serious game of the year contenders.

If the game really is multiple players against one, we’ll be very interested to hear more details about how different the play experience is based on which side you end up on. A heavy focus on multiplayer seems like a good choice for the predator versus prey mechanic, but we hope the game also has a solo-able campaign, as well.

Are you excited to see Jason returning to the world of video games? What kind of mechanics do you hope exist in the new Friday the 13th game? Let us know in the comments.

Friday the 13th is aiming for an October 2015 release. A full list of platforms has not been confirmed

Then in May

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/28/summer-camp-images-tease-murderous-multiplayer

quote:

Publisher Gun has released a new set of screenshots and details for Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp, an upcoming asymmetrical multiplayer game inspired by 1980s horror movies. Currently planned for release on PC, Xbox One, and PS4, Summer Camp sets a group of Teen Counselors against a player-controlled stalker called The Killer.

The Killer utilizes advantages in mobility and an arsenal of weapons to hunt other players across the seemingly-tranquil Camp Forrest Green. He or she will also be able to harness the environment of the camp to use against the Teen Counselors, a concept reminiscent of some of Jason Voorhees more memorable murders like the sleeping bag kill or the gory bathroom face-mirror smash.

The Counselors are a group of 6-7 players relying largely on stealth and evasion to survive. The Teens will need to monitor the level of noise they create and search for weapons to fend off The Killer while locating escape vehicles. The Counselors can work together as a team or split up to tackle the situation alone, and the creators promise both paths have risks and rewards.

The Camp Forest Green arena is a seemingly-peaceful and rustic retreat concealing a hidden menace. New images depict lakeside shores, gore-streaked canoes, bloodied tents, dimly-lit cabins, and dark pathways through the woods.

Beyond the presence of these iconic locales, the developers hope to evoke the spirit of 80s slasher flicks by simulating the low-budget lighting and equipment conditions used to create these movies. The game engine is being designed to replicate the grain, color, and blur typical of a cheap film recording and subsequent VHS transfer

Since then just a website with a countdown.

http://summercampgame.com/

The premise reminds me of that cancelled game Campfire.

http://www.unseen64.net/2010/04/15/campfire-ps2-xbox-cancelled/

quote:

Campfire: Become Your Nightmare is a cancelled “reverse survival horror” that was in development in 2003 by Daydream Software, for the original Xbox and Playstation 2. The project was going to be an open ended action game, in which the player would had take the role of a serial killer, to massacre tourists and youngsters during their holydays in the woods. As we can read in the official press release:

"What if you were the hunter instead of the hunted? What if your sole purpose in life was to cause misery, death, and pain to anyone and anything you encountered? Now you have your chance. So begins Daydream Software’s brutal “reverse survival horror” game, Campfire. Based on contemporary slasher flicks, Campfire allows players to choose from four different serial killers (Vincent Voucher, Mac Douglas, Louis Winterstorm, and Mannie the Clown) so that they may use them to wreck havoc on the unsuspecting populace of an out of the way campground."

Campfire vanished without any official announcement, but it’s possible that Daydream never found a publisher interested in the project.

I can't possibly imagine why it was cancelled.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

It's not like asymmetric multiplayer doesn't work. The Hidden was fan-loving-tastic and amazing fun with really simple mechanics. But the non-Hidden team had guns, which makes it easier to balance a murder-machine single enemy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Faffel posted:

It's not like asymmetric multiplayer doesn't work. The Hidden was fan-loving-tastic and amazing fun with really simple mechanics. But the non-Hidden team had guns, which makes it easier to balance a murder-machine single enemy.

The guns were necessary because the Hidden was otherwise incredibly overpowered. Near-invisible by default, able to charge up for a one-hit kill, able to cling to walls and hurl pipe bombs, and can see everyone's aura through walls.

Since Slasher sounds like it's emphasizing stealth and improvised weapons, I'm guessing the player-controlled killer is going to have pretty limited powers. Probably able to take and deal more damage and maybe one or two unique abilities to even the odds, but otherwise the player has to use their own wits to locate and kill their prey. He probably won't be invisibly hiding in the corner of a room waiting to drop down and decapitate three people before sprinting away.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

The guns were necessary because the Hidden was otherwise incredibly overpowered. Near-invisible by default, able to charge up for a one-hit kill, able to cling to walls and hurl pipe bombs, and can see everyone's aura through walls.

Using the Pig sticker too much was the noobs mistake. Pig sticker automatically gibbed the target. The pro way was slashing a few kills, because the body would stay ungibbed. The hidden could then slash a corpse to eat it to regen life. Also you could hold a body and then cling to a wall and pig sticker to hang the corpse.

Nothing like hanging the bodies of a few dead marines, and having the rest find your predator corpse room.

You should of always saved your pipe bombs because you get a very few, they are best for breaking up 5 guys standing with their backs to a wall so you cant sneak up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nckdictator posted:

So, back in January this happend.

Then in May

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/28/summer-camp-images-tease-murderous-multiplayer

Since then just a website with a countdown.

http://summercampgame.com/

So what's coming out, both the Friday the 13th and Summer Camp? Is what's now called Summer Camp the Friday the 13th game without the license, or did the makers of the Friday the 13th game just stop work on it?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

King Vidiot posted:

So what's coming out, both the Friday the 13th and Summer Camp? Is what's now called Summer Camp the Friday the 13th game without the license, or did the makers of the Friday the 13th game just stop work on it?

I have no idea. Google isn't giving any news on the Friday the 13th game besides its announcement back in January. The two ideas are so similar though it seems unlikely their two different projects. I'm guessing that the Friday the 13th game somehow turned into Summer Camp.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If I'm remembering my announcements right, Summer Camp was announced, and at some point gained Kane Hodder's involvement. Sometime after that, the Friday the 13th game was announced. I want to say that at some point between the two another similar sounding game was announced as well, but I can't remember at this point. As far as I know, there's been no merging or cancelling of the games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nitrocat posted:

does it get better?

i would hate to live in a world where there are no good horror games.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

catlord posted:

If I'm remembering my announcements right, Summer Camp was announced, and at some point gained Kane Hodder's involvement. Sometime after that, the Friday the 13th game was announced. I want to say that at some point between the two another similar sounding game was announced as well, but I can't remember at this point. As far as I know, there's been no merging or cancelling of the games.
There was a kickstarter'd game called Last Year, a L4D-style 5-vs-1 multiplayer "get through the level without dying" concept. The developers were sued by the F13 copyright holder because their promo materials contained concept art of a slasher who was very obviously supposed to be Jason. I think they also sued because one of their proposed environments was a summer camp with a lake. They settled or the suit was dropped once they changed the level setting to something else and deleted the art. I think it might have put the devs in a bad way, financially, but it didn't outright kill the project.

Their last update was a little under 4 months ago and concerned the fact that they had secured an additional ~$250k in private funding but were looking for a webdev to finish their website - apparently they were very keen about getting yet more money. I'd wager it's vaporware at this point.

I'm wondering now if it's actually Slasher Vol. 1 now because it's basically the exact same concept and execution.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven

7. Whispering Willows

How much gameplay do you expect from your games? It's a salient question in this post-Greenlight age, with many games offering impressive gimmicks and visuals propped up by only an hour or two of gameplay. Whispering Willows is just such a game, a no-frills adventure game with some charming graphics and a neat mechanic that's over before you know it.

You play Elena, the Native American daughter of a groundskeeper at a super spooky mansion. He disappears, you gear up to find him, and the next thing you know you're in the rear end-end of some pretty dire catacombs. Like I said, it's an extremely straight-forward side-scrolling adventure game with notes to find, keys to collect, and notes to read. The one gimmick is astral projection, which releases your fabulously-quaffed soul to roam, slipping through tiny cracks, moving mundane objects, and talking to dead people. This mechanic develops one or two additional uses over the course of the game, and is pretty fun to dink around with, since there are no living NPCs.

Game flow is clear and steady, for the most part. There's no map but the mansion and its environs are usually simple enough to follow to your next objective. The hand-drawn graphics are delightful and well-animated, though I must admit the horrific condition of the spirits you encounter clashes a bit with the lighter, kids anime art style. The story rides a fine line between dark and silly and I was engaged the whole time, it's just that the whole time was about 90 minutes. It's a short, short game and if you like the simple gameplay, you'll surely be left wanting more. I'm glad I didn't Kickstart it, but if you pick it up on sale it's a charming little adventure and I can't knock it for anything but its length.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Basic Chunnel posted:

There was a kickstarter'd game called Last Year, a L4D-style 5-vs-1 multiplayer "get through the level without dying" concept. The developers were sued by the F13 copyright holder because their promo materials contained concept art of a slasher who was very obviously supposed to be Jason. I think they also sued because one of their proposed environments was a summer camp with a lake. They settled or the suit was dropped once they changed the level setting to something else and deleted the art. I think it might have put the devs in a bad way, financially, but it didn't outright kill the project.

Their last update was a little under 4 months ago and concerned the fact that they had secured an additional ~$250k in private funding but were looking for a webdev to finish their website - apparently they were very keen about getting yet more money. I'd wager it's vaporware at this point.

I'm wondering now if it's actually Slasher Vol. 1 now because it's basically the exact same concept and execution.

That might be it, and I don't think they actually got sued? Either way, I'm pretty sure it's also not Summer Camp, I think they were just announced around the same time. That does happen sometimes. If I remember the year right, 2005 was the year of spelunking horror movies with at least three.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Nitrocat posted:

does it get better?

It's more of an existential horror. You may enjoy it more if you really buy into the universe once the scope of what's happening/has happened in the game world begins to unfold. It definitely gets more frightening as the game progresses and there's quite a bit of variety in that sense. For what it's worth, I thought the first area was some of the weakest of what I've played so far but I've also loved every second of the game.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I thought SOMA was cool and was very scared because of the atmosphere and sometimes the scary monsters

I suggest not playing it anymore because you might hurt yourself if you try to enjoy stuff

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Imo you should watch a LP (with commentary, so there'll be something to keep you interested) and then play System Shock 2, the game SOMA desperately would like to be. SS2 is the Stooges to SOMA's Jet, if Jet saw Existenz one time and thought it was cool.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

which releases your fabulously-quaffed soul to roam

:eng101: Coiffed. Quaffed would be if your soul was drinking a bunch!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm still going through SOMA, I'm not sure if I'm even halfway yet. I love it, it feels very thoughtful, especially after the big twist that's not treated like a typical twist. The horror is doled out sparingly and actually has annoyed me more than anything in parts, because it interrupts my poking around and exploring this abandoned underwater world.

Random Asylum Game Jam pick #2 - Saving Zoey
Overall website rank: #5

This entry is a visual novel where you play an older sister who reluctantly escorts her younger sibling to a one-night-only traveling haunted house, where the theme is some kind of cult who liked to make ritual sacrifices.

Early on in the game, the little sister gets scared and runs off, and you bang your head on something while chasing her and get knocked out, completely losing track of her. One of the tour guides finds you and helps you start to search for her, but weird stuff starts happening, and it's revealed the place may actually be haunted for real.

There are a couple really easy QTE-lite sequences where you have to hit the spacebar to keep from freaking out, and there are a few different endings. The writing is decent, though it has a twist most people who aren't me will probably see coming way down the road.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to wonder if they unconsciously or intentionally modeled that character after Ghost Trick's Sissel.

Speaking of ghosts and games, play Ghost Trick.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1stGear posted:

:eng101: Coiffed. Quaffed would be if your soul was drinking a bunch!

Hahahaha thank you! Honestly, that's too good of a typo to correct.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
saying that people should play system shock 2 in tyol 2015 as a horror experience is setting them up for disappointment

SOMA is fine. I like it better than Amnesia since SOMA actually lets you have breathing room

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Graphics and game mechanics have obviously marched far onward in the past 15 years, but I honestly couldn't name a single of its many, many imitators that has actually managed to improve on the "horror experience" aspect of SS2.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
which sounds like someone who played SS2 back when it was A Thing would say

does not hold up for a first time play so much now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SHODAN's reveal is one of the all time great video game moments though.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I needed an HD Texture pack, but I played System Shock 2 for the first time in 2013 and I thought it was a fantastic game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
System Shock 2 has issues about objectives not being clear, with tiny text on the screen needing to be read, a confusing map, and an interface that's a little bonkers. Also the last 1/3 - 1/4 of the game really sucks compared to the rest.

Game is still the best horror game of this millenium, in my opinion. Shodan's reveal was pretty awesome for me, but must've been just loving mind-blowing for a fan of the first System Shock. And the whole 'audio logs starting during peace and continuing while poo poo goes wrong' thing was such a fantastic idea that horror games have been copying it ever since.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I didn't find it too hard to figure out where to go in SS2 mostly because the game REALLY rewarded you for exploring, so you're bound to blunder into the objective by accident while scrounging for bullets.

I 100% agree that the game hits the skids once you reach the Rickenbacker though. I usually stop playing when I get to the many just because ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The two things that really keep SS2 relevant as a horror game both have to do with the encounter design. For one, the game lets enemies sneak up on you. All of the enemies have very clear and conspicuous callouts, but sometimes the game mutes them so one can get the jump on you. I think randomly-spawned enemies will always be loud as hell, but a lot of the scripted ones approach silently. The other is that those scripted enemies are placed really intelligently. The game almost never spawns an ambush out of thin air or pops dudes out of closets. Instead, it waits for you to get nice and comfortable exploring or looting, and then sends something to quietly check on you from down the hall.

Like I said in my review, the enemies themselves are too chunky and goofy-looking on their own to be effective. But luckily, SS2 is a master-class in encounter design.

until the Rickenbacker

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On the one hand, my first time playing it SS2 has me hiding in fear from little monkeys after casually wrenching my way through Standard FPS Enemies.

On the other hand, "Well Lah De Dah".

It is still a Good Game. But I can see why there are people who would say parts of it haven't aged well or were iffy in the first place, when not just saying it for the sake of "You only still like it because you are a nostalgic baby :smug:"

Main advice I'd have to give people wanting to play it fresh is "Don't play it on Hard first just because you always do that in every game." Not out of difficulty, but out of "Upgrades cost more so if you had spent everything already, you'd be hosed when they give you just enough to buy research for plot progress".

Tip Two: Progress breaking bug that doesn't kick in until near the endgame can apparently happen if you use console. I wonder if that's still A thing? I know my first shot through I use console to spawn myself all of two items out of laziness instead of running back to my giant stockpile in medical, and then ran into "Whoops, the count for plot eggs broken got broken." To the game's credit, I replayed the entire thing up to that point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm having some trouble finding a person in the old Dead Space threads. There was a goon here who worked on Dead Space 3 and had a lot to say about how its production was basically Studio Interference: The Official Video Game, does anyone here remember this?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I was being a bit glib with SOMA earlier (it never hooked me) but I have no idea how anyone would say that SS2 lacks for horror. Jump scares were covered above, but stuff like the loving midwives and where they came from, or the way that the Many insinuates itself through the crew, are very effective. Where SS2 suffers is where most all stat-based RPGs (particularly 90's specimens) suffer - there are a lot of "trap skills" that are far inferior to alternatives. In this case, anything that's not hacking or strength is a pretty bad choice, and the only good weapon is the one people typically think of as the last resort. They presented the game like an RPG but it plays like survival horror in regard to strategy and the scarcity of resources.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows

8. Frankenstein: Master of Death

If you don't play many hidden object games, it might shock you to learn there's a huge amount of variance between them. Frankenstein is an excellent example of this, having a solid engine and slick visuals married to absolutely brain-dead gameplay. And that's not even that much of a knock against it, considering the trappings of the genre.

Frankenstein is, unsurprisingly, a re-telling of Mary Shelley's classic tale of science gone awry, just with more crests and crossbows to click on. In a strange twist (yes I am going to spoil the plot of a hidden object game, brace yourselves), Frankenstein is actually the hero, compelled to complete his heinous experiments by his partner and patron Igor. You play his friend, firmly invested in saving him from Igor and his monster, who looks remarkably like Raziel from Soul Reaver pre-jaw loss. The cutscenes are pretty well animated and the game actually has dynamic 3D models for many of the characters and creatures, which is a huge step up from its peers.

The gameplay is the customary hidden object scenes and simple puzzles, but taken to an infantile extreme. The hidden object scenes are absolutely huge, with some objects to find being nearly a quarter of the screen. Seriously, you could click at random and find all but the multi-part items, which usually just require pushing a button, using a knife on a rope, or assembling something. The challenge here is way, way down from other hidden object games, and is brought back up in aggravating fashion by tons of backtracking and an absurd number of crests. Seriously, I think there are maybe three keys in the game compared to the three dozen crests you have to collect to open up all the rooms of the mansion.

It's a very clean-looking product, with no technical hitches and all the quality-of-life elements of a modern hidden object game. It's just not very engaging, mostly because of the poor difficulty balance. If you got it for pennies like I did it's worth a try, but I can hardly recommend it at full price.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
drat, you're burning through these games, you're a machine!

That frankenstein game looks interesting, does it actually try to be scary at any point? I don't know anything about the hidden objects genre, is the gameplay inoffensive?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hidden object game are exactly what they sound like. You're presented with detailed and/or very busy scenery and have to find some specific objects to progress to the next screen. The amount of story and atmosphere in between varies wildly from game to game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's the final game in FairyTale's Nightmare Collection, Marine Philt (Nightmare Collection 2).

Jumping into the future, the story begins in the early 21st century. Artificial satellites are built to generate a kind of radioactive fuel called Marine Philt (likely a romanization of Filtration). Tragedy strikes when a satellite fails, destroying a section of Tokyo. By 2050 the radiated portion of Tokyo is cordoned as the rest of the city is separated into physical blocks connected via underground tunnels.

Enter Seed, a young thrill seeker who gathers his dumbass friends to explore an abandoned energy research facility after a mangled body was discovered on the premises. Needless to say the facility was researching something far darker which culminates in the death of their friend. Turns out an alien straight from Ridley Scott's imagination was unleashed after the Marine Philt incident and your team of misfits feel honor bound to kill it.

Where Dead of the Brain 2 streamlined the experience, Marine Philt goes back to the original's menu-based system. The biggest issue is the slow text crawl. While the words are displayed automatically, there's a half-second delay when text scrolls. This is an incredibly dense game, easily twice the length of the previous games in the series. Combine the pixel hunting progression of Dead of the Brain with the weird text scrolling and thick script and you have a pretty tedious game to read.

But that issue aside, Marine Philt is a surprisingly mature title. There's no fanservice or anime tropes to bog down the storytelling. There's a movie-like sense of pacing and structure where each scene builds up to a genuinely exciting climax. The action scenes are cut straight from Snatcher, a simple point and click shooting minigame, but the lower difficulty removes the tedium of knowing which order to poke a zombie's brains out. There's a heartbeat sensor which is mechanically useless but adds to the tension of key scenes.

I don't think I could ever appreciate the game as a native speaker but struggling as long as I did I think speaks volumes. It is the most Western influenced of FairyTale's games and they even credit H.R. Giger for it. Had this game come to the West in 1993 I truly think it would've spearheaded a VN movement over here.