Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

szary posted:

I've never played anything else than solo queue mm, so I don't know how it compares to other methods of playing, but last night I played a match where one guy kept yelling OH MY GOD NOOB TEAM NOOB TEAM after every lost round and initiated kick votes against players who died after getting ganked 4v1; another dude had -1 kills after 15 rounds, and another one spent every round on T side sniping from the spawn through the mid doors on Dust, including when he was the bomb carrier. I am in no way a good player (I was demoted from GN3 because I couldn't cut it) but at least I don't actively try to make the game worse for everyone else.

It'll get better as you rank up. Not always but most of the time. The last 3 or 4 games I've solo queued for we ended up having a pretty cohesive team with good calls, rotates and solid T strats.

Actually I just looked at my recently played, every one of us had 20k except the top frag who netted 22k. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

symbolic posted:

Holy poo poo, HR beat NiP 16-2 on Cobble.

And they started T side.

:captainpop:

the starting t side is the least surprising part of this, cbble is through and through a t sided map except in certain t1 matchups

edit: well, at least in my anecdotal evidence. i don't have hard stats to back me up, but just going through csgonuts looking at teams like gamers2, hr, and esc, it seems to be a very lopsided map, where one side, either ct or t, can be the side both teams snowball on. actually i think cbble is the most interesting map in the competitive pool right now because it feels like even t1 teams have difficulty optimizing their takes and holds, especially na teams.

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Solo queue is all about the vibes man. It is your job to make the good vibes happen just as much as playing well. Get the conversation going from the beginning and try suggesting a strat on T side (it doesn't have to be what you do, but at least people are talking). On CT side calling which spot you want to play makes the other dudes do the same and now you are already calling a little bit, build from there.

If you sense the blame game in imminent it needs to be shut down ASAP and it is your job to do so. Criticism is generally a very dangerous thing and most of the time should be avoided. If you really feel the need to give some constructive criticism, it has to be constructive and be delivered in a very friendly way. If you are unable to do that, don't loving do it.
If people start talking about mistakes in past rounds, even if it's not in a hostile manner, snap them out of it and get them to focus on the ongoing round instead.
On the other hand if the vibes get too hyper/silly it can also be dangerous, but that should handled on a case to case basis.

Celebrate and compliment people when a round is won, especially important ones, even if it was by sheer dumb luck or a lovely play, it doesn't matter. It build confidence in their little heads.

Just mute the loud "russians" and stop thinking about them. Never argue with them as that will end up in griefing really fast.

I haven't had a bad solo queue experience in a loooong time. The worst MM I had in a while was queueing with two irl friends ranked somewhere in the gold novas.

I feel like the people complaining about solo queue are somewhat at fault themselves. I did however seem to notice an improvement in team around the MGE/DMG ranks.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I feel like the people complaining about solo queue are somewhat at fault themselves. I did however seem to notice an improvement in team around the MGE/DMG ranks.
The old "If someone's an rear end in a top hat, they're an rear end in a top hat. If everyone's an rear end in a top hat, you're an rear end in a top hat."

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

vibes.txt right here. All good advice. Especially the criticism thing, that can break fragile pubbie egos real quick.

\/ If you're anything like me, you can't help but call someone out if they're acting like an idiot. Just mute them for a minute or two if he's yelling at your team on comms.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 7, 2015

szary
Mar 12, 2014
That's definitely good advice. Personally I never criticize other players, because I do a lot of dumb things myself, but I surely could do more to contribute to good vibes.

I wasn't trying to make it out that all solo queue games were bad, we lost my last match pretty heavily but everyone was pretty chill and it was enjoyable despite getting stomped. The worst games in my experience are when someone keeps blaming others for being idiot noobs, it just kills team morale.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Just had ridiculous and fun experience. I joined a random Valve DM server...
Everyone was just chilling in pit on DUST 2.
For the first map we had races, where you tried to shoot a clorox bottle from pit to goose faster than your opponent.

Then we reselected Dust2 and just had giant knife battles.

Voted for Inferno and played where you could only get points by killing chickens.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Just got off a game of casual dust 2 with a couple buddies, I top fragged with 20 kills and 4 MVPs (yeah lol I'm just a casual scrub I know) when it looked like we were gonna get run over by the CTs. We brought it back from 7-3 or 7-4, and I got to rock out to my Molotov music kit a lot which was great. I'm actually pretty fond of it, I'm glad I picked it up.

And yeah, players, not just in comp, can be mean and hateful things, but there's not much else you can do about angry or trolling players besides ignore, report, try for a votekick and move on.

Capt. Sticl posted:

Just had ridiculous and fun experience. I joined a random Valve DM server...
Everyone was just chilling in pit on DUST 2.
For the first map we had races, where you tried to shoot a clorox bottle from pit to goose faster than your opponent.

Then we reselected Dust2 and just had giant knife battles.

Voted for Inferno and played where you could only get points by killing chickens.

I love it when stuff like this takes shape. Never seen anything as silly fun as clorox racing though, at least not recently.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 7, 2015

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

sterster posted:

I just got ranked at GNM after completing my 10 matches. I'm curious to know what I'm doing or if it's common to have a high number of assist in games. I'm usually bottom or 2nd to bottom frag but have an ~equal number of assist. Is it me putting my self into dumb plays (2v1). My team carrying after I die having injured the player(s)

Do I fix this by working on spray control/aim?

Generally when I have a high amount of assists and a low amount of kills it's because I'm playing like a moron and consistently engaging 1v2 or 1v3. I'll get a couple shots off on one or two of the enemies before getting wrecked. At least the assists implies that your team is cleaning poo poo up for you.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
If you have a high number of assists, your crosshair placement is probably bad.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Solo queue is all about the vibes man. It is your job to make the good vibes happen just as much as playing well. Get the conversation going from the beginning and try suggesting a strat on T side (it doesn't have to be what you do, but at least people are talking). On CT side calling which spot you want to play makes the other dudes do the same and now you are already calling a little bit, build from there.

If you sense the blame game in imminent it needs to be shut down ASAP and it is your job to do so. Criticism is generally a very dangerous thing and most of the time should be avoided. If you really feel the need to give some constructive criticism, it has to be constructive and be delivered in a very friendly way. If you are unable to do that, don't loving do it.
If people start talking about mistakes in past rounds, even if it's not in a hostile manner, snap them out of it and get them to focus on the ongoing round instead.
On the other hand if the vibes get too hyper/silly it can also be dangerous, but that should handled on a case to case basis.

Celebrate and compliment people when a round is won, especially important ones, even if it was by sheer dumb luck or a lovely play, it doesn't matter. It build confidence in their little heads.

Just mute the loud "russians" and stop thinking about them. Never argue with them as that will end up in griefing really fast.

I haven't had a bad solo queue experience in a loooong time. The worst MM I had in a while was queueing with two irl friends ranked somewhere in the gold novas.

This is great. On CT, always break the silence saying which spot you wanna play. On T, even if you don't want to suggest a strat, just ask "so, where are we going, guys?" You'll likely hear a 'rush A/B' very rarely 'default' or whatever, but it doesn't matter. The point is to get people talking.

Once they start pressing that push to talk, you've already moved your win chances from 50% to 85%.

Oh, and the point is to have fun. If a player does something dumb but funny, it's okay to laugh; it makes your brief interaction more genuine and can help vibes if done well.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 7, 2015

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Also if you deselect dust2 your solo queue experience will be much better.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Smol posted:

If you have a high number of assists, your crosshair placement is probably bad.

Whaaat? This isn't true. High amount of assists usually just means you are an aggressive player, most often initiating the entry frags. The greatest entry fraggers in the world won't even get close to an average of one entry frag per round either. When you're taking one 1/2 players on full HP, you're going to accumulate a lot of assists because it is inevitable.

People with no assists and lots of kills are either: a) better than the other team by miles, or b) baiting their team to gently caress. I mean lurking.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Macnult posted:

Those Bitcoin mining operations provide a much better CS:GO experience than any operation Valve has implemented.

hm yes having machines overheat from mining buttcoins without permission truly is a better user experience :)

(64 tick sucks but it's probably not a good idea to give money to a company that engages is really lovely practices like that, just saying)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ranked to LE after the other team voted to surrender. Works for me! :buddy:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Here's a video of an ace and a lot of 4k's and 3k's with retakes. I haven't pruned my shadowplay clips in a little while so it ended up longer than usual. I put some Bonobo to it to make it a little less boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeFGwRqJ38

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Jeza posted:

Whaaat? This isn't true. High amount of assists usually just means you are an aggressive player, most often initiating the entry frags. The greatest entry fraggers in the world won't even get close to an average of one entry frag per round either. When you're taking one 1/2 players on full HP, you're going to accumulate a lot of assists because it is inevitable.

People with no assists and lots of kills are either: a) better than the other team by miles, or b) baiting their team to gently caress. I mean lurking.

The guy is a gold nova who has played 10 games of CSGO. I'll make a guess that he's not a world-class entry fragger but simply aiming at people's feet.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Smol posted:

The guy is a gold nova who has played 10 games of CSGO. I'll make a guess that he's not a world-class entry fragger but simply aiming at people's feet.

I read your comment in isolation, so my bad. Crosshair placement is bad guaranteed. But my point still stands, he could be playing just fine for his level and that is happening because he plays more aggressively than average.

MM would be better with more people like that, rather than 4 people who think their ideal role is clean up crew. I unironically have a soft spot for RASH B NO STAP because at least it isn't one of those games where I'm the only person who goes anywhere or does anything while my team stands behind doors for over a minute as Terrorist.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If nobody has called anything or my team decides to all hang out in mid and behind long doors I usually drop down to lower b tunnels. Can cover cat, mid, and upper b to keep people from realizing that your team is just super bad at everything. Plus when they do decide to push you can catch all them rotate frags.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

dex_sda posted:

Oh, and the point is to have fun. If a player does something dumb but funny, it's okay to laugh; it makes your brief interaction more genuine and can help vibes if done well.

Definitely this. I sometimes in a situation like that or if somebody just completely wiffs like to throw in the "preemptive laugh" so people don't have an opportunity to flame the poor guy.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Definitely this. I sometimes in a situation like that or if somebody just completely wiffs like to throw in the "preemptive laugh" so people don't have an opportunity to flame the poor guy.

Yeah, just laugh, and when he starts apologising confidently go "it's all good, man, happens to the best of us" or something to this effect. It usually nips any problems in the bud.

All this advice reads like Social Interaction 101 but I feel like people who have a bad time solo-q need this. Doing anything socially is only ever as good as you let it be. I have had only a couple bad experiences, and almost always a chill experience; including when I got in a team with a 4 man russian premade. On zoo. That game owned actually

Sometimes you meet an rear end in a top hat, but most people are actually nice and want a chill game just like you. Remember that.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ya'll shoulda heard how stressed out everyone got in mumble when a 5 man matchmaking team rolled out last night.

MM ain't fun.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I like MM. The trick is to not care if you win or lose. Then when someone rages it's just funny because they are pathetic, even if they are on your team. If someone rages on my team, I typically do my best to piss them off even more.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

And that's probably why you're low rank.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
One thing I've learned is that when you do 5 man mm you get games against other 5man premades and those teams usually have had a lot of practice playing together.

I get rolled a lot less when doing 4 man mm's. Also keep the mood up, joke around and say nice try every once in awhile.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If one guy is yelling at the rest of the team for being bad I like to blame everything on him. He's at B, I die at long? God drat dude, where were you? I throw a lovely flash? Dude that's exactly how you told me to do it.

You can usually get one or two of your teammates to join in.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Ya'll shoulda heard how stressed out everyone got in mumble when a 5 man matchmaking team rolled out last night.

MM ain't fun.

Our stress was real when I listened to McVey and put de_dust in; and lo and behold we got de_dust... Against a group of SFMCs. It was our rank up match and we blew it 16-14 because dust is the worst.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

People queue up for original dust? What a world...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dust 2 is pretty good but personally I prefer the original :smug:

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
De_dust and de_aztec all day.....queueing

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

iNteg posted:

Our stress was real when I listened to McVey and put de_dust in; and lo and behold we got de_dust... Against a group of SFMCs. It was our rank up match and we blew it 16-14 because dust is the worst.

It was fate

And we blew it!!!!

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Don't play dust what is wrong with you

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

iNteg posted:

Probably woulda won if there wasn't so much snappin at each other! It's weird when you're the one listening to it and not in a close game, though. It sure made my trading more stressful I'll tell you that

Maybe that's why na cs is dead

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Xenaero posted:

Probably woulda won if there wasn't so much snappin at each other! It's weird when you're the one listening to it and not in a close game, though. It sure made my trading more stressful I'll tell you that

Good god I left wow to get away from that poo poo.

"gently caress DUDE UR BAD"

Yeah. I noticed that. Wanna say what I should do in that situation, or would you like to talk about my mom next?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

iNteg posted:

This sounds interesting, and frankly, I'd like to see some guys who are good at the game play dust. Could you share a link to the demo?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
There were pro games played on dust1 near the start of GO if you can still find those on HLTV

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
de_dust you can't win.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

And that's probably why you're low rank.

Well I'm supreme so rank isn't really an issue.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
You have to harshly criticise your teammates mistakes. especially do this if you are the first one to die every round and you have time to spectate them. Its good motivation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Dust sucks Aztec rules

• Locked thread