Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Danaru posted:

:stonk: Jesus christ the flying segways and the WIG I knew were real, but THAT thing was real too?! I swear to god I learn new poo poo about MGS3 every day.

That is also why Volgin says "Remember the Alamo", it's because Davy Crockett died in the Alamo siege! :eng101:

Also I finally have an excuse to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Mikl posted:

That is also why Volgin says "Remember the Alamo", it's because the diabolical Davy Crockett died in the heroic Alamo siege! :eng101:

Fixed it for me. :v:

Danaru posted:

:stonk: Jesus christ the flying segways and the WIG I knew were real, but THAT thing was real too?! I swear to god I learn new poo poo about MGS3 every day.

It was that magical time where nukes were seen as the solution for all problems. The problem in this instance was "How do we give our troops more firepower in case the Russians start over running us in Western Europe?".

And as for Snake surviving even a small-yield tactical nuke, we also could take the terrain into account: the area is pretty mountainous and uneven, so it could be that the explosion got contained by the mountains and hills. This could've also shielded him from the flash of the explosion, but somehow I doubt Kojima thought it that far.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Danaru posted:

It probably doesn't matter how big the nuke is when you stand up and just stare at the explosion for the entire duration of it. Snake wasn't sent to Tselinoyarsk for his intelligence.

If it's in the game, there's an almost 100% chance it's real! :eng101:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do you guys have any plans on tackling the MSX games(which are included on Subsistence and the HD collection) and/or Portable Ops at some point?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
*comes running in panting* was...was...someone having questions about Godzilla...???

The Crappy US one that Dan is talking about was in 1998. In 2004 a Godzilla movie was made, Godzilla: Final Wars. It's the last of the Japanese made films and is pretty action-packed, and does indeed feature the Japanese Godzilla beat the crap out of the terrible American one, as Grace asks.. It's got a pretty whackadoo plot but I love it. Also, Para-Medic's comments about waiting until 2004 to see the original Japanese cut of Gojira was because at the time, the movie was FINALLY making it to American shores, and doing art theater tours. Before that it was very hard to see legit in this hemisphere. (I had seen it in 99 at a convention on a bootleg tape myself).

In the sequence right before the first aid bit where you briefly have R1 accessible to look around, iirc you can look all the way to one of the sides (perhaps the left?) and see The Sorrow's corpse just hanging out. I want to say this is the same river where the boss battle with him occurs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The guy who directed Godzilla: Final Wars, Ryuhei Kitamura, also did the cutscenes for Twin Snakes. :eng101: The action scenes with the human characters in Final Wars are just as ridiculous as that game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Doc Morbid posted:

The guy who directed Godzilla: Final Wars, Ryuhei Kitamura, also did the cutscenes for Twin Snakes. :eng101: The action scenes with the human characters in Final Wars are just as ridiculous as that game.

Only the human characters? I wanted to see Godzilla back flip off a nuke.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The human character stuff is more ridiculous than anything the giant rubber suit monsters do in that film. Final Wars also has Don Frye and his majestic mustache in it.

Now of course, Godzilla has pulled off some crazy stunts in the past. This isn't quite backflipping off a nuke, but... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOhlfnnX1po

Godzilla vs. Hedorah (Godzilla vs. Smog Monster) is a weird movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Only the human characters? I wanted to see Godzilla back flip off a nuke.

There's a scene where he plays kaiju soccer against King Seesar, a monster that looks like those chinese lion puppy things. The ball is Anguirus, basically an ankylosaur monster. Rodan tries to help but gets in the way.

There's also the Gigan fight where he ends up cutting off his own head because he's a dumbass, and then the badguys bring him back with motherfuckin CHAINSAW ARMS.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Doc Morbid posted:

The human character stuff is more ridiculous than anything the giant rubber suit monsters do in that film. Final Wars also has Don Frye and his majestic mustache in it.

Now of course, Godzilla has pulled off some crazy stunts in the past. This isn't quite backflipping off a nuke, but... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOhlfnnX1po

Godzilla vs. Hedorah (Godzilla vs. Smog Monster) is a weird movie.

:psyduck:

I've seen Solid Snake kickflip off a missile and I'm pretty sure this is still more nuts than backflipping off a nuke.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mikl posted:

Also I finally have an excuse to post this.

I showed this to Grace and all he said was "...I can sympathize with Paramedic" :saddowns:

Choco1980 posted:

*comes running in panting* was...was...someone having questions about Godzilla...???

The Crappy US one that Dan is talking about was in 1998. In 2004 a Godzilla movie was made, Godzilla: Final Wars. It's the last of the Japanese made films and is pretty action-packed, and does indeed feature the Japanese Godzilla beat the crap out of the terrible American one, as Grace asks.. It's got a pretty whackadoo plot but I love it. Also, Para-Medic's comments about waiting until 2004 to see the original Japanese cut of Gojira was because at the time, the movie was FINALLY making it to American shores, and doing art theater tours. Before that it was very hard to see legit in this hemisphere. (I had seen it in 99 at a convention on a bootleg tape myself).

Has it really been that long since the lovely one? :shepface:

Godzilla's always been one of those weird things where like, I've only seen the worst Godzilla movie ever, but I can still recognize and name off a poo poo ton of the monsters that appear in it. I always liked King Ghidorah for being a loving three headed dragon, and Mothra because giant moths are adorable :3:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 3, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I always eat a game over after the encounter with Ocelot. Because dammit, it's just not MGS3 if Campbell doesn't yell at Big Boss for creating a time paradox.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
MGS3 was the first MGS game I played and while I had some familiarity with the series when I played 3 but I didn't fully appreciate the story, which is easily the best in any MGS game. Having seen LPs of all the other games it great to see all the setup and references to the other games, and just how big of a tsundere Ocelot (who's full rank is probably Major-Pain-In-Snake's) is for Big Boss.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

White Coke posted:

MGS3 was the first MGS game I played and while I had some familiarity with the series when I played 3 but I didn't fully appreciate the story, which is easily the best in any MGS game. Having seen LPs of all the other games it great to see all the setup and references to the other games, and just how big of a tsundere Ocelot (who's full rank is probably Major-Pain-In-Snake's) is for Big Boss.

Honestly, the story for MGS3 holds up perfectly even without the story of the previous games, knowing about the others is just icing on the cake.

I pity anyone who played MGS4 as their first Metal Gear game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So, shocking no one, the drinking condition for the next drinking condition will be:

you guys are dicks

We should be recording tomorrow night, and I should have an episode up the day after, look forward to it!

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I feel I should mention this but even with lightning powers you can't really do much firing a naked bullet. The bullet casing would just kind of pop.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I feel I should mention this but even with lightning powers you can't really do much firing a naked bullet. The bullet casing would just kind of pop.

The explanation is quite simple.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Eh works for me.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

I pity anyone who played MGS4 as their first Metal Gear game.

Hey, the gameplay was pretty fun! Even if I had no idea what was happening...

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

And it's a better and more concise explanation than MGS4 used for anything. :v:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Nanomachines is pretty concise

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 3 - From Zero to Gut-Punch

The Boss is such a JERK :saddowns:

The SR-71 was made in 1966, so I have no doubt that rocket drone is real. The SR-71 is loving awesome by the way, look that poo poo up. It's idea of evasive maneuvers is "go faster than the bullets because gently caress you I can do that."

Session 2 reached just after the Pain, before reaching Graniny Gorky.

:siren:Vote here for Session 3's drinking condition!:siren:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will always vote for :ocelot:, nothing will stop me! I don't even care if it makes you drink or not.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Danaru posted:

The SR-71 was made in 1966, so I have no doubt that rocket drone is real. The SR-71 is loving awesome by the way, look that poo poo up. It's idea of evasive maneuvers is "go faster than the bullets because gently caress you I can do that."

Im going to advocate everyone going out and finding a copy of 'Sled Driver'.

It's a book about the pilots who flew the SR-71 during the cold war for Recon missions. Chock full of the coolest rear end stories.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Voted for From Russia With Love without having watched the video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually radars were around during WW2. :science:
Now portable ones, that's a different matter.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

anilEhilated posted:

Actually radars were around during WW2. :science:
Now portable ones, that's a different matter.

I was referring to the Soliton Radar, but stopped myself from staying Soliton in the hopes that Grace wouldn't notice :v:

Grace always notices.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Why would they put the prevention of WW3 in the hands of Snake? They say he's the only person who can kill the boss, but the only thing we've seen him do is get his rear end handed to him on literally every occasion, what's more, the person he is sent to kill was the one who beat him senseless. I know he eventually becomes the world's greatest soldier, but his showing in the Virtuous Mission should make him the absolute last choice for a mission of this magnitude.

Iron Chitlin fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 8, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Iron Chitlin posted:

Why would they put the prevention of WW3 in the hands of Snake? They say he's the only person who can kill the boss, but the only thing we've seen him do is get his rear end handed to him on literally every occasion, what's more, the person he is sent to kill was the one who beat him senseless. I'm know he eventually becomes the world's greatest soldier, but his showing in the Virtuous Mission should make him the absolute last choice for a mission of this magnitude.

The best part is, the Virtuous Mission was his first mission with FOX, so going into operation Snake Eater, he and his unit have failed 100% of the missions they've been assigned.

I want to imagine that off screen The Boss has been putting people into coma's left and right, and Snake's the only one besides the Cobra Unit who's still able to stand properly. I can appreciate The Boss basing her hiring process on who can withstand the most dunks at a time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

The best part is, the Virtuous Mission was his first mission with FOX, so going into operation Snake Eater, he and his unit have failed 100% of the missions they've been assigned.

I want to imagine that off screen The Boss has been putting people into coma's left and right, and Snake's the only one besides the Cobra Unit who's still able to stand properly. I can appreciate The Boss basing her hiring process on who can withstand the most dunks at a time.
Outside of political and/or conspiracy logic reasons, I'd say it would have to be something like that. As far as they know, Snake is literally the only person on the planet who has survived The Boss trying to kill them. "drat, Boss killed basically her husband on that bridge. You're telling me this guy got thrown off, landed next to the Sorrow's corpse, and healed his broken arm by jabbing it with a lit cigar?"

Danaru posted:

I was referring to the Soliton Radar, but stopped myself from staying Soliton in the hopes that Grace wouldn't notice :v:

Grace always notices.

What you should do is calmly correct Grace what a LADAR is every time he engirshes it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 8, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Horses aren't taboo to eat... Well they were for a while during this administration (I think they finally got rid of it in 2013) they kinda hosed up the horse industry in general. But like before some sort of regulation that banned the consumption of horse meat- it was fairly booming and they weren't considered sacred.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Zain posted:

Horses aren't taboo to eat... Well they were for a while during this administration (I think they finally got rid of it in 2013) they kinda hosed up the horse industry in general. But like before some sort of regulation that banned the consumption of horse meat- it was fairly booming and they weren't considered sacred.

I rode horses for a while as a teenager and they are now up there with dogs on the list of animals I will never eat. Everything else is fair game though. :colbert:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Dan, remember your training! You can sneak behind guards by using the D-pad. If you just use the stick, they will hear you!

... wait, you were drinking beer? The capitalists beverage?

Forget what I wrote up there. That's advice only for vodka-drinking, communist like- minded comrades! :ussr:

I always figured out that ADAM was Ocelot: appears at the facility, is close to Volgin, and is the only other gun nerd who could've procured the 1911 that Naked Snake spergs so much over in the next part.

And I kind of suspect EVA was actually Raikov, but it's just a theory of mine.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The drone carrier SR-71 is the M21, and it didn't work very well. It basically was supposed to work pretty much exactly like they showed in the cutscene, maybe not rolling over but basically the same.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

man, both the drawings and the voices for LBJ and Khrushchev were absolutely abysmal in that cut scene...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Iron Chitlin posted:

I rode horses for a while as a teenager and they are now up there with dogs on the list of animals I will never eat. Everything else is fair game though. :colbert:

Well Pigs are another really smart animal that probably shouldn't be feasted on. That and Octopi. Squid are kinda dumb though for the most part. At least the squid we eat.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Any animal that isn't smart enough to rise up and conquer the means of it's own destruction deserves to be eaten.

(except cats, they're nice)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'll try pretty much anything once. I even had Coyote meat when I was younger.

It... Wasn't good

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Soldier Mom, why do you hate your son's bones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Was the coyote roadkill or hunted?
If it was roadkill the taste might have been due to car bits stuck in the meat.