Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not a problem, she's clearing out the water poison with nicotine and carcinogens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

add a jesus fish and your local positive music station bumper sticker and it hits all the magical notes of a driver i would get the hell away from.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

God drat. That's absolutely perfect.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That cigarette does make it sublime.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That cigarette does make it sublime.

Cigarette + (staring down at a cell phone in the lap) / (unintelligent science-y bumper sticker) = entertainment

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Smoking a cigarette is a choice.

Being slowly turned into a sheep by the Obummer gub'mint via fluoridation so you won't notice the slow decline into communist hell isn't.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Geoj posted:

Being slowly turned into a sheep by the Obummer gub'mint via fluoridation so you won't notice the slow decline into communist hell isn't.

Alex Jones? Is that you?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alex Jones is a saint.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Geoj posted:

A man has got to protect the purity of his precious bodily fluids. Now help me with this ammo belt before we all have to answer to the coca cola company.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Had a 918 spyder tailgate the heck out of me on a 30 mph road. Considered crashing into him in my Pontiac vibe just because he'd deserve it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I was at O'reilly the other day, getting lug nuts for the Jeep. It's busy, I stood in line for a few minutes before someone could help me. The phone rang, and the lady who was helping me answered it.

"O'reilly? Uh huh? You wanna talk to one of the guys? Okay, lemme put you on hold." Then she says to the other lady, "He wants to know what kind of oil to get, and he only wants to talk to one of the guys. Like they're gonna pick up, 'Uh hello?'"

For christ's sake people, it's 2015, the dude who works at the auto parts store is going to look up your car in the same computer system as the lady.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Safety Dance posted:

I was at O'reilly the other day, getting lug nuts for the Jeep. It's busy, I stood in line for a few minutes before someone could help me. The phone rang, and the lady who was helping me answered it.

"O'reilly? Uh huh? You wanna talk to one of the guys? Okay, lemme put you on hold." Then she says to the other lady, "He wants to know what kind of oil to get, and he only wants to talk to one of the guys. Like they're gonna pick up, 'Uh hello?'"

For christ's sake people, it's 2015, the dude who works at the auto parts store is going to look up your car in the same computer system as the lady.

I assume he got put on hold forever.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As my old supervisor used to say: "Please hold for the dial tone" and then he'd hang up. Eternal Hold is too good for some people.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah most definitely.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Safety Dance posted:

I was at the local O'reilly myself on Sunday getting a cabin filter for my wife's car (apparently WIX is the only company on the loving planet that makes cabin filters for CX-5s other than Mazda) and asked the lady there about this goofy Saab part I've been hunting. She asked me to call back sometime during the week when it's less busy because she likes to look poo poo up and enjoys a good mystery. I figure I'll give her a call on Wednesday with a part number and she can go nuts. Old parts store ladies rule.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

Even if this weren't the case, there's no reason to assume a woman would be less capable of answering a question. It's not like my penis has ever imbued me with any sort of mystical car knowledge.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like 2 miles after a brodozer passes me I catch back up because traffic and watch him pull into the turn lane because his left front tire is wobbly as all gently caress, like I'm surprised it didn't fall the gently caress off. He gets out, looks at it, hops back in and drives off like a mad man, wobbly tire and all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT6A posted:

Even if this weren't the case, there's no reason to assume a woman would be less capable of answering a question. It's not like my penis has ever imbued me with any sort of mystical car knowledge.

it's okay, your mistake is assuming rational actors, instead of the thing that they are, which is dumbasses

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

As a counterpoint, I have it on good faith that 14" has the shop manual for a 1975 Honda Civic tattooed in microfiche on his foreskin.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

(apparently WIX is the only company on the loving planet that makes cabin filters for CX-5s other than Mazda)

I wouldn't be that shocked if WIX was the OEM manufacturer too

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Safety Dance posted:

This poo poo also still happens the other way around. A couple years ago my parents were trading in their Renault Kangoo and my mom really wanted a Fiat Panda. However the sales man was a oval office constantly telling my mom that maybe they could discuss things when my dad had time to come along.

In the end my mom told him that if he didn't want to sell a car he should have said so from the get go and not waste her time.

In the end they bought a Suzuki and my mom went to rub it in the face of the Fiat sales man. Sorry dude, but being a sexist oval office just cost you a 16k order for a car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxS02hRch9M

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Yet again today, I was amazed by someone's complete lack of planning to the point that I wonder how the person gets dressed in the morning.

I'm behind an SUV approaching a stop light in a shopping area. This light has a single through lane on the right, and two left turn lanes onto a major road. I make a move to line up in the center lane, which is the second left turn lane. Out of nowhere, the SUV effectively cuts me off without signaling, and decides they absolutely have to be in the left most turn lane. Alright, whatever, no damage to my car, light is still red. We get a green turn arrow, end up going through the intersection nearly side by side, and start approaching a red light. I'm coasting to the light, and all of a sudden get a bad feeling. Sure enough, the SUV is keeping pace with me, which is odd because the left turn lane and their lane is clear, while I'm approaching a line of cars. The SUV slams on the brakes, and cuts across 3 lanes of traffic just behind me to make a right turn. The whole thing would have been easier had they just been in the same left turn lane as me and planned how they were gonna get to the right turn lane 5 minutes earlier.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yesterday I was happily doing 85 in a 55 (i95 around Boston, speed of traffic is 80, I've been tailgated doing 85 in the middle lane before) and my exit was coming up so I moved over just as a blacked out sportbike came blazing up behind me going well over 100mph, made a series of incredibly dangerous passes, and... then drat near dumped it locking the brakes up when he saw the speedtrap in a grassy area of an interchange. Cop moved forward like a foot and then decided to not bother. I wish they'd just look at things realistically and set the limit to 80, literally everyone does 75+ anyways and most are doing 80.

Today at the same interchange some nitwit in a gold Corolla in the right middle lane realized they were about to miss their exit in dense traffic, threw out the anchor with absolutely no warning, almost got rearended by 3 people, then jumped into the right lane without checking their mirrors at all, cutting off a semi truck hauling a large precast concrete beam in the process. He engine braked, honked, and hit the brakes so hard the trailer tires slid a bit and they didn't even notice, just moved into the exit lane and took off.

I swear some people have a deathwish.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I was editing McDonalds, I needed to cut across a right 3 lanes of traffic to get to two left turn lanes, the length of the McDonalds store (500ft? I have no idea) was between me and the light so I had plenty of time, slace, and traffic was light.

Everything was perfect except for the fact that the only vehicle on the road was in the middle straight lane doing approximately 15mph. After a decade of waiting for them to approach and pass, I gunned it into the car left turning lane since I would be turning in a half mile and traffic is light. As soon as I got to the stop line the escalade decided they needed to engage the bow thrusters and dock at 90 degrees with the bow at my right rear brake light and the stern planted in the straight through lane. Signalling with the fog horn commenced that more space was necessary for proper docking but I was already in the pucker zone with the cross traffic. Natrually, as soon as I got the green arrow I gunned it and waited forever before the Bismarck got up to full steam only to see them complete the turn and make an mmediate drive for the right lane to commence docking at another fast food chain.

Shortly after I got up to the 40mph limit, another SUV did a Hail Mary left turn across my path prompting full braking and horn blowing. Next I encountered another car in the left lane doing what I can only assume was 5mph based on the closing speed. I drove less than a mile from home to get food and 3 iditots tried to kill me.

dennyk posted:

I honestly wonder how many of those "but it's not my favorite way!" drivers are just dicks and how many are just excessively anxious people whose brains jump straight to blind panic mode when they suddenly realize that they're over HERE and they should be over THERE and OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO NOW?! :byodood:

On another note, it's very satisfying when one of those douchebags cheating traffic in the center turn lane gets cockblocked by an oncoming car that's actually using the lane properly and ends up several dozen cars further back in line for their trouble. :smug:
Rant about social class:

I am really starting to believe 99% of the reason I see so many douche-bags is because I live near the upper class part of town. Google says the median home price in Wichita is $118K, my house was about $150K, if I go a half mile east the price jumps to $300-500K because they are in the Andover school district. gently caress Andover schools, I don't care that my precious baby will see brown people in Wichita schools, I don't want to send my kids to a sports only school district. I did that in high school where all my teachers were hired to coach football and couldn't teach worth a drat. If I go a mile south, I can see several homes for $700 to $2mil. Hell, just looking at the Zillow map I would say more than half of the $500K+ homes are withing a 5 mile radius of where I live. it's not loving worth it to spend over two million dollars, more than 20x the median house price to live large in the butt-hole of the United States. The only redeeming quality this state used to have was the oil and gas field out west which is now loving dried up, but the oil money is still living large in Wichita where their $2mil buys them a hell of a lot more privileged and class than it would get them anywhere else in this country.

TLDR; at least if I lived in LA I would be cut of by the prince of Qatar in his flaming Lamborghini but at least he actually has $stupid-rich money instead of just the oil money douche bags in the cheapest Porsche they can buy.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 8, 2015

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I honestly wonder how many of those "but it's not my favorite way!" drivers are just dicks and how many are just excessively anxious people whose brains jump straight to blind panic mode when they suddenly realize that they're over HERE and they should be over THERE and OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO NOW?! :byodood:

On another note, it's very satisfying when one of those douchebags cheating traffic in the center turn lane gets cockblocked by an oncoming car that's actually using the lane properly and ends up several dozen cars further back in line for their trouble. :smug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Atleast twice a day I'll encounter someone who will come to a complete loving halt in the middle of the road because they suddenly realized they are two+ lanes away from where they want to be and literally everyone else should stop so they can get there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This morning I was stopped at a stop sign waiting for cars to pass on a through road when one of the cars stopped and waved me across like I was a ped at the crosswalk going across the through road.

Do these loving idiots get their licenses off the back of a cereal box or something??

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some really puzzling road rage and got into a drag race within about 10 minutes of each other! Road rage first; I was coming up to a stale red and there are about 4 cars stopped. The guy directly in front of me was not paying attention , and it was hard to tell what he was doing because his windows were tinted way over what must be legal. He is doing about 20 by the time he comes within a car length of the last guy in line, panics(?) and jerks his car up over the curb, even though he had plenty of time to stop. He backs back down, and sits there. When the light turns green he waits for the road to widen to 2 lanes, and he guns it, cutting off the guy who was just sitting in font of him and brake-checks him. The dude just looks more puzzled by this than angry so he slows down, and the nut speeds back up. As the other guy gets up to speed the nut brake-checks him again, coming to a complete stop, and then just tears off into the distance. The innocent dude and I just exchange confused looks at the next light and he goes on his merry way.

As to the drag race, there is this beautiful stretch of road a mile long and straight as an arrow not to far from my place. There is nothing built on it, nothing to disrupt your LOS for more than the entire stretch, no one walks it, no one bikes, and it is a 4 lane road. I just got a Sportwagen TDI (great timing, that), and I was showing my buddy how relatively fast it can accelerate and how comfortable it is compared to my old ride, a beat to poo poo 99 Corolla. He head out to this stretch, there is no one on it so we just gun it. Some dude behind me in a late 90s God-knows-what takes this to be a challenge of some sort I guess, because he floors it too, and he gets absolutely creamed. My car is an automatic. I put it in Sport, put down the pedal and kept it in my lane, that was all. I didn't even see the guy till about halfway down the road. We come to a green on the far end, and seeing as this is now civilization and there are cars pulling out like idiots and jaywalkers playing Frogger with the cars I slow down to the speed limit and cruise normally. About this time Mr 90s goes for the gold and screeches past me, almost hitting a minivan pulling out of Winn Dixie, and pumping his fist out his window in victory. Whenever I got anywhere close to him in the normal flow of traffic he would gun it again. He got to win at last, good for him!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Congrats on being the people we share the road with I guess.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why do cyclists think it's ok to cycle 2 abreast on small bicycle lanes that have traffic both way? Then they give you a dumb confused look when you don't move out of the way. No I don't want to side scrape something just because you want to cycle next to your friend / partner while going round a blind corner. I mean cycling is even easier than driving a car and people still fail at doing it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why do cyclists think it's ok to cycle 2 abreast on small bicycle lanes that have traffic both way? Then they give you a dumb confused look when you don't move out of the way. No I don't want to side scrape something just because you want to cycle next to your friend / partner while going round a blind corner. I mean cycling is even easier than driving a car and people still fail at doing it.

There's a road here with bicycle lanes on both sides, but they pinch down into the regular lane at every intersection, and cyclists always cycle right in the middle of the god drat car lane so they don't have to shoulder check when it pinches every 500 meters.

I've been half tempted to pass them on the right in the bicycle lane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Powershift posted:

There's a road here with bicycle lanes on both sides, but they pinch down into the regular lane at every intersection, and cyclists always cycle right in the middle of the god drat car lane so they don't have to shoulder check when it pinches every 500 meters.

I've been half tempted to pass them on the right in the bicycle lane.

Sounds like you have a road design problem. Merging every 500 meters in any vehicle is dangerous, sounds like they are making the right choice.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Like an MUP? I have no idea what you're talking about. Small bicycle lanes that have traffic both ways? Do you mean a bike trail?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This morning as I was waiting in the right turn lane for the light to turn green, a bus driver stopped at my driver's door and just stared at me for like 10 seconds, before continuing.

I was all like :confused: because traffic had been fine up to then, no close calls or anything, certainly not with any busses. I did pass him while he was at a bus stop like a minute before, but it was just a completely ordinary everyday pass, nothing remarkable at all. I wonder what was going on.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Last weekend I had two encounters. I was driving down a 7 lane road and had a girl in a Chrysler 300 was tailgating me. I was coming up to an intersection and she got over in the left turn lane, passed me and then cut me off in the middle of the intersection. Al while texting on her phone.

Two days later I saw a lifted truck with a tiny trailer carrying a large load of dirt, and both tires on the trailer were completely flat. The trailer was drifting back and forth and I just slowed down and let the dude get far away from me.

I can't wait to move out of this place.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
A mile in either direction from my office takes me to a road that will put me on a highway. More people drive below the speed limit in this two mile stretch of road than everywhere else I ever drive all added up. This road is not any more narrow, curvy, or hilly than is safe for 40mph. No hidden drive ways or sharp turns. 40mph signs right out in the open in both directions. Yet so many people drive 5 - 10 mph below the speed limit. I don't get it. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off by somebody who then crawled along at that 5-10 under. The other day I pulled out of the parking lot behind somebody going 5 under, who then got cut off by somebody else who wanted to do 10 under.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a road like that by my work, too. 45 mph, 5 lanes (2 each way and a suicide lane), straight, great sight lines, non-residential (mostly car dealers). Even at times when there's 2-3 cars on the road, people will drive 35-40 mph. Sometimes 30 mph. They drive at least the speed limit on all the other roads in the area, even the busier, curvier, hillier ones with restaurants and apartment complexes on the sides.

I once had someone pull out in front of me on this road. I signaled, switched lanes, and passed them with many car lengths between us. They proceeded to pace me and block me in at around 30 mph and laugh after we came to the next light, which was super annoying as I needed to get back into the right lane to get to work. WTF?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 8, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Jesus, this is sad. Why can't people secure their loving loads?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowTwt_NYBrand

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

Sounds like you have a road design problem. Merging every 500 meters in any vehicle is dangerous, sounds like they are making the right choice.

Like an MUP? I have no idea what you're talking about. Small bicycle lanes that have traffic both ways? Do you mean a bike trail?

No, a bike lane (usually separated from the road by a concrete divider) that has two-way traffic on it, instead of the road having one bike lane on either side. Generally, I see this when there's a two-way bike lane on a street that only allows one-way car traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Bad city planning? You don't say. . . This intersection has a ridiculously busy railroad track where BNSF absolutely loves to park trains on the road. The city decided to remedy this by widening the east/west roads a little. Let's focus on the west side. They added a combined left turn + straight lane, and a right turn only lane. When the trains are parked, traffic can make a right on red instead of sitting in an endlessly long line waiting to go straight or left. The alignment to go straight is more in line with the right turn lane, every day when I want to go straight I have got stuck behind a car turning right and had another vehicle pull up behind me, then say "gently caress this" and dive into the right lane to pass me and the left turning vehicle. So far, every time this has happened exactly when the car turning left went through, leaving me in a race to go straight with the swerving idiot.

I avoid the east side since when the trains come through you have no bail out option. The east side has a mile long suicide lane (which the yard mules abuse the poo poo out of. . .) which ends in a left turn only lane. I decided to test my luck by taking this route and sure enough I got stuck at a train. I was patiently waiting about a half mile back in the straight through lane. After the train cleared it took approximately 5 light cycles to clear out the backup of traffic. . . during this time, I counted 6 enterprising individuals who just gunned it down the suicide lane and blew the through the left turn only lane going straight each time merging mid intersection with the traffic that was legally allowed to go straight. . .

This intersection is the perfect death trap. The area is surrounded by industrial zones, if you're driving down this road, you are doing it for work each and every day and you know what the gently caress is going on. There is no way those idiots "didn't know" it was going to end in a left turn lane.

Also, to this day I still believe my favorite driver ever was the hundred year old man in a beat to poo poo 80s pickup loaded up with crap like some kind of hoarder and pulling an overloaded trailer. Dude was blasting down the suicide lane downtown for 3 blocks just hanging a cigarette out the window, no fucks given. All the oncoming traffic just moved their dent free BMWs out of the way of the abused pickup. That man was living the dream. . .